PDA

View Full Version : New 700c Rear Wheel (for Tour Easy)

Jon Meinecke
September 24th 03, 01:47 PM
I want to get a second rear wheel for my Tour Easy. The original
rim has a few dings, and I wouldn't mind being able to choose
thin or wide tires depending on where I'm riding. After recently
repacking my rear hub, I think I want a hub with cartridge
bearings (but that's not a show stopper).

Nashbar has several wheels in my price range:
Velocity Spartacus ($130)
Mavic Open Pro/Ultegra ($125)
Ritchey Zero Comp Rear ($100)
Mavic MA3/105 ($90)

Is the 24 spoke Spartacus adequate for the rear of
a Tour Easy? Wish Velocity had their 26/20 wheelset
in 700c/20...

Is the Ritchey off-center rim more than just a marketing
gimmick? Having only one spoke length for the rear wheel
might be nice for carrying replacement spokes when touring...

Comments or suggestions?

Thanks,

Jon Meinecke

rorschandt
September 24th 03, 04:42 PM
"Jon Meinecke" > wrote in
s.com:

> I want to get a second rear wheel for my Tour Easy. The original
> rim has a few dings, and I wouldn't mind being able to choose
> thin or wide tires depending on where I'm riding. After recently
> repacking my rear hub, I think I want a hub with cartridge
> bearings (but that's not a show stopper).
>
> Nashbar has several wheels in my price range:
> Velocity Spartacus ($130)
> Mavic Open Pro/Ultegra ($125)
> Ritchey Zero Comp Rear ($100)
> Mavic MA3/105 ($90)

Another to look at
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=17104
aero rim and crtridge bearing hub.

happy trils,
rorschandt

--

May all beings be happy.
May they be joyous and live in safety.

Jon Meinecke
September 24th 03, 05:17 PM
"rorschandt" > wrote in message
. 97.132...
> "Jon Meinecke" > wrote
>
> > I want to get a second rear wheel for my Tour Easy. [...]
> >
> > Nashbar has several wheels in my price range:
> > Velocity Spartacus ($130)
> > Mavic Open Pro/Ultegra ($125)
> > Ritchey Zero Comp Rear ($100)
> > Mavic MA3/105 ($90)
> >

> Another to look at
> http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=17104
> aero rim and crtridge bearing hub.

Thanks. Yes, that looks like another possible choice.

PerformanceŽ Titan Rear Road Wheel ($130)

Their description says this is a 20-spoke rear wheel with
"strength to handle hard training". Would the 20-spoke
Titan hold up on the back of a Tour Easy?

The Velocity Spartacus comes in 20 and 24 spoke versions.
The Nashbar description says 20 for <180lbs and
the 24 for >180lbs. I'm 175, the Tour Easy is 32+ lbs,
and the weight distribution is different from an upright.
So I presume the 24-spoke Spartacus might be a
better choice.

It isn't clear to me how to translate bike wheel specs/ad-copy
characterizations intended for upright bike applications to
a LWB recumbent! For instances, how does "hard training"
on an upright compared to recreational riding or lightly
loaded touring on often rough surfaced roads on a LWB?

Jon

Gary Herbst
September 24th 03, 07:37 PM
"Jon Meinecke" > wrote in message >...
> I want to get a second rear wheel for my Tour Easy. The original
> rim has a few dings, and I wouldn't mind being able to choose
> thin or wide tires depending on where I'm riding. After recently
> repacking my rear hub, I think I want a hub with cartridge
> bearings (but that's not a show stopper).
>
> Nashbar has several wheels in my price range:
> Velocity Spartacus ($130)
> Mavic Open Pro/Ultegra ($125)
> Ritchey Zero Comp Rear ($100)
> Mavic MA3/105 ($90)
>
> Is the 24 spoke Spartacus adequate for the rear of
> a Tour Easy? Wish Velocity had their 26/20 wheelset
> in 700c/20...
>
> Is the Ritchey off-center rim more than just a marketing
> gimmick? Having only one spoke length for the rear wheel
> might be nice for carrying replacement spokes when touring...
>
> Comments or suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jon Meinecke
On a TE I would not even think of getting anything less than 36
spokes. I have a 42 spoke 27 in. rear with a Phil hub that I use for
touring because it's carring me and 40-50 lbs. of stuff on my camping
trips.
Gary

Jon Meinecke
September 24th 03, 08:06 PM
"Gary Herbst" > wrote

> "Jon Meinecke" > wrote
> >
> > Velocity Spartacus ($130)
> > Mavic Open Pro/Ultegra ($125)
> > Ritchey Zero Comp Rear ($100)
> > Mavic MA3/105 ($90)

> On a TE I would not even think of getting anything less than 36
> spokes. I have a 42 spoke 27 in. rear with a Phil hub that I use for
> touring because it's carring me and 40-50 lbs. of stuff on my camping
> trips.

Thanks for the response.... I had presumed there are very
real differences in the wheel requirements for loaded touring
vs. recreational riding. I have the original wheel I plan to
use for touring and am considering a second, perhaps lighter
wheel for recreational riding. I don't want to pointlessly
tempt taco-ing a wheel. %^)

All the above cited wheels except the Velocity Spartacus
have 32 spokes... I don't know how many the original TE
rim has...

Some of the ad-copy and specs I've read suggest rim design,
material, stiffness, etc, affect overall wheel strength as well
as the number of spokes. I presume it's possible for a
bicycle wheel to be stronger than one with the same number
or fewer spokes due to differences in design or materials.

The Ritchey Zero Comp Rear wheel has a special hub and
rim that together permit the wheel to be built with dish. They
claim this makes for a stronger, more reliable wheel...

Jon Meinecke

TBRADSTER
September 27th 03, 12:40 AM
You ought to consider an Aerospoke rear wheel. Bombproof.

Brad.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home