PDA

View Full Version : Volae Club

franksapper
September 24th 03, 04:31 PM
I am considering looking at the Volae Club, sold by the Hostel Shoppe in
Wisconsin. Does anyone have any information pertaining to this bike. Do
you like it? What do you like about it? Are there other recumbents that
are comprable this bike. Is this a fair price? thanks for any info.

frank::D

tla
September 25th 03, 01:15 AM
franksapper wrote:
> I am considering looking at the Volae Clubfrank::D

Price is fair. It's the Vision Saber frame.
http://www.visionrecumbents.com. Rolf picked new components and made
other changes. Should be a fast road bike, but not suitable for touring
(fenders won't fit).

Dave Harney
September 25th 03, 01:52 AM
I'm new to recumbents as of this summer and now have around 2,000 miles on
my Volae Club. I really like this bike. I went to a recumbent because of
the usual pain problems - now I think I should have tried this years ago.
My average speed has definitely jumped up a couple miles an hour and all
pain, except a foot numbness issue, is gone - I remember now why I got
interested in bikes.

For me, it was tough learning how to balance the bike, but I feel 90% of my
old confidence has returned now. I have found no fault with any of the
components or design of the bike - just a lot more chain to clean. The M5
seat is really great. I never owned a "touring" bike or ever had fenders,
but I done my share of touring (without camping). I intend to tour for a
couple of weeks in Ireland next spring and the Volae will be my bike of
choice - but I travel pretty light.

I don't know any reason why not to buy this bike.

"tla" > wrote in message
> franksapper wrote:
> > I am considering looking at the Volae Clubfrank::D
>

> Price is fair. It's the Vision Saber frame.
> http://www.visionrecumbents.com. Rolf picked new components and made
> other changes. Should be a fast road bike, but not suitable for touring
> (fenders won't fit).
>

> --

mike s
September 25th 03, 03:22 AM
franksapper > wrote in message >...
> I am considering looking at the Volae Club, sold by the Hostel Shoppe in
> Wisconsin. Does anyone have any information pertaining to this bike. Do
> you like it? What do you like about it? Are there other recumbents that
> are comprable this bike. Is this a fair price? thanks for any info.
>
> frank::D

Frank: The competition is either the Bacchetta Strada or Corsa or the
Vision Sabre. All have the dual 26 inch wheels. I have ridden them
all. Initially I should say that the Volae, designed and produced by
Hostelshoppe, is a very nice put together bike. Rolf Garthaus knows
what he is doing. But so do the Bacchetta boys, and Vision has been a
staple for years. I don't own a dual 26 inch wheel bike. If I did it
would be the Sabre because I don't like the superman riding position
of the other two. I like my handlebars close to my body, like the
RANS bikes. The Vision set up is a little tall and close to the body
but preferable to me than having that long reach on the others. The
Vision however was a little tall for me (I'm 5' 7") and I didn't like
the toe dance I did. It does offer a straight drive side chain path,
no routing around an idler, which I prefer. The bike was very
responsive and rode exceptionally well. And, you can buy them now at
discount if you can find one (Hostelshoppe is offering a demo at
discount now). I don't like the finger/thumb shifters but you can
swap them out. Of Bacchetta and Volae, the Volae gives you the
opportunity to deal directly with the company to adapt the bike for
you. They were willing to work with me on the stem/handlebar
situation. I also like the ability to remove the seat without
changing the seat settings. I did not like the rear idler/ratchett as
I thought it noisy. Bacchettas have a little longer wheelbase. I
didn't notice much difference in their ride. The Strada is cheaper
and they are beginning to show up used on the web. Vision and
Bacchetta you can get from local dealers. Volae you get only from
Hostelshoppe. I suggest that any of these bikes would be a nice
addition. I think the choice will depend on how you feel on them and
the level of componentry you want. Good luck.

Mike S.
St. Louis, Mo

Barcroft Virginia
Barcroft Columbia
RANS Rocket

harryo
September 25th 03, 04:59 AM
franksapper > wrote in message >...
> I am considering looking at the Volae Club, sold by the Hostel Shoppe in
> Wisconsin. Does anyone have any information pertaining to this bike. Do
> you like it? What do you like about it? Are there other recumbents that
> are comprable this bike. Is this a fair price? thanks for any info.

On the 3 day AITC ride earlier in September, there was a gentleman
with a Volae Club. I looked it over closely all 3 mornings before the
day's ride and took it for a short ride in a parling lot one morning.
The frame was to small for me so I couldn't get the seat back enough
and the mismatch of my pedal cleats on smooth bottomed road shoes to
the pedals on the bike made it tough to keep my feet on the pedals so
I could't get the best feel for the ride. However, for the short time
I was on the bike, handling was smooth and predictable and the bike
seemed to accelerate well.

The quality and finish of the bike was excellent, as well as the
components used. The tweener bars were different than what I am used
to but I didn't feel as if they were something that I couldn't adjust
to with more riding time. The seat clamp mechanism and the seat stays
are the best I have ever seen on any bent, including those on the
Bacchetta bikes. The Bacchetta Corsa would probably be the most
comparable bike and it retails for $600 more. The Volae Club LX looks
to be a real buy with very impressive component specs and a price of
$2399, $200 less than the Corsa.

I am intrigued by the highracer bents myself. Mainly riding a Baron
lowracer for the last couple of years, I already know I like the
hardshell type seat and laid back riding position. I have been
thinking about a Bacchetta Corsa but after seeing the Volae Club, I
would have to say that I am also considering the Volae Club LX and
Team.

Harry Jiles

Erich Hartman
September 25th 03, 03:56 PM
> Price is fair. It's the Vision Saber frame.
> http://www.visionrecumbents.com. Rolf picked new components and made
> other changes. Should be a fast road bike, but not suitable for touring
> (fenders won't fit).

Great feedback from everyone on this NG, good to hear. Just wanted to
clarify though, the Volae is most definately _not_ a Saber frame. I
believe they share similar tubing and the same USA factory, but not
much beyond that. As was previously stated, the Club, Club LX and
Team are purpose-built speed bikes, but I wouldn't think twice about
taking mine on a long tour. However, if you like loaded touring, the
lightweight racing wheels and forks aren't designed to take that kind
of abuse and don't offer enough clearance for fenders. The Century
was designed for that purpose exactly - unloaded, it's very fast, but
the 26/20 Thracian wheels can also take some serious abuse, and the
frame was designed to be accessorised - fenders, racks, suspension,
you name it.

Happy Trails,
Erich Hartman

Hostel Shoppe, Ltd.
800-233-4340
www.hostelshoppe.com

PJ
September 25th 03, 08:03 PM
franksapper > wrote in message >...
> I am considering looking at the Volae Club, sold by the Hostel Shoppe in
> Wisconsin. Does anyone have any information pertaining to this bike. Do
> you like it? What do you like about it? Are there other recumbents that
> are comprable this bike. Is this a fair price? thanks for any info.
>
> frank::D

First the required acknowledgement....I am a Strada owner.....more
accurately very happy Strada owner and quite recently my wife also
became a happy Bacchetta owner with the purchase of a Giro.

Now that that is out of the way. I purchased my Strada prior to the
Volae coming on line but the Vision Sabre was available at the time.
One of the reasons that I chose the Strada over the Sabre was the fact
that the Strada and Corsa are more versatile than either the Volae's
or the Sabre. I currently have my Strada set up with the M5 carbon
seat and a pair of very light 650c wheels and tires, with the weight
coming in at about 26 lbs. It is my summer, nice weather, speed
oriented ride.

Following a metric century this Sunday and with the upcoming change in
weather, I will swap the 650 wheels and tires for the 559 wheels with
the one inch Specialize tires and put a set of fenders on the bike for
wet weather rides or even commutes. And because I will use it for
commutes during the winter I will most likely switch back to to the
Bacchetta mesh seat which allows for a more upright rider position and
better city/traffic handling. All of the above changes to accomodate
wet weather riding, cannot be made with either of the dual 26 inch
wheeled bikes from Volae or Vision. Wider tires, fenders and a more
upright seating position are not an option for the Volae or Sabre.
However with the Corsa/Sabre you can either dress them up or down
based upon your needs and riding environment.

The Bacchetta guys are great to work with. You won't find a more
committed group. They focus on taking care of the customer and
collectively are perhaps the most knowledgeable group within the
recumbent industry.

Pat McShane

Bill B
September 26th 03, 03:54 AM
(PJ) wrote in message >...
> franksapper > wrote in message >...
> > I am considering looking at the Volae Club, sold by the Hostel Shoppe in
> > Wisconsin. Does anyone have any information pertaining to this bike. Do
> > you like it? What do you like about it? Are there other recumbents that
> > are comprable this bike. Is this a fair price? thanks for any info.
> >
> > frank::D
>

> First the required acknowledgement....I am a Strada owner.....more
> accurately very happy Strada owner and quite recently my wife also
> became a happy Bacchetta owner with the purchase of a Giro.
>
> Now that that is out of the way. I purchased my Strada prior to the
> Volae coming on line but the Vision Sabre was available at the time.
> One of the reasons that I chose the Strada over the Sabre was the fact
> that the Strada and Corsa are more versatile than either the Volae's
> or the Sabre. I currently have my Strada set up with the M5 carbon
> seat and a pair of very light 650c wheels and tires, with the weight
> coming in at about 26 lbs. It is my summer, nice weather, speed
> oriented ride.
>
> Following a metric century this Sunday and with the upcoming change in
> weather, I will swap the 650 wheels and tires for the 559 wheels with
> the one inch Specialize tires and put a set of fenders on the bike for
> wet weather rides or even commutes. And because I will use it for
> commutes during the winter I will most likely switch back to to the
> Bacchetta mesh seat which allows for a more upright rider position and
> better city/traffic handling. All of the above changes to accomodate
> wet weather riding, cannot be made with either of the dual 26 inch
> wheeled bikes from Volae or Vision. Wider tires, fenders and a more
> upright seating position are not an option for the Volae or Sabre.
> However with the Corsa/Sabre you can either dress them up or down
> based upon your needs and riding environment.
>
> The Bacchetta guys are great to work with. You won't find a more
> committed group. They focus on taking care of the customer and
> collectively are perhaps the most knowledgeable group within the
> recumbent industry.
>
> Pat McShane

Pat McShane. You just helped me decide to go with a Strada. I was
almost ready to order a Volae Club or Team but after reading your
comments I have decided to go the Strada route that you took. Two
seats two sets of wheels make for a very versatile bike. 26lbs in the
go fast mode is just fine with me. Not knocking the Volae but I do
think having a do it all bike is a good idea

harryo
September 26th 03, 01:08 PM
(Bill B) wrote in message >...

> Pat McShane. You just helped me decide to go with a Strada. I was
> almost ready to order a Volae Club or Team but after reading your
> comments I have decided to go the Strada route that you took. Two
> seats two sets of wheels make for a very versatile bike. 26lbs in the
> go fast mode is just fine with me. Not knocking the Volae but I do
> think having a do it all bike is a good idea

Or you can have different bikes. I'm not being a smartass but
different bikes are better for different purposes and while they can
be used for different facets of riding(commuting, touring, racing,
etc.), doing so results in some compromise. It appears that the Volae
big wheel models were designed, and produced, as no compromise,
performance oriented road bikes, as were the Bachetta Aero and Corsa.
I doubt that very many, if any, owners of these bikes have any desire
to mount fenders on them or change the seat.

Harry Jiles

Don
September 26th 03, 10:42 PM
Harry, good points. Actually, I do not think it is possible to put
fenders on the Corsa or Aero. They have minimal clearance front
forks. Not sure about the Strada. The Giro was designed as the
commute/touring model. It can be tricked out as a lighter, faster
bike. That is what I did with my frame set.

(harryo) wrote in message >...
> (Bill B) wrote in message >...
> >
> > Pat McShane. You just helped me decide to go with a Strada. I was
> > almost ready to order a Volae Club or Team but after reading your
> > comments I have decided to go the Strada route that you took. Two
> > seats two sets of wheels make for a very versatile bike. 26lbs in the
> > go fast mode is just fine with me. Not knocking the Volae but I do
> > think having a do it all bike is a good idea
>

> Or you can have different bikes. I'm not being a smartass but
> different bikes are better for different purposes and while they can
> be used for different facets of riding(commuting, touring, racing,
> etc.), doing so results in some compromise. It appears that the Volae
> big wheel models were designed, and produced, as no compromise,
> performance oriented road bikes, as were the Bachetta Aero and Corsa.
> I doubt that very many, if any, owners of these bikes have any desire
> to mount fenders on them or change the seat.
>
> Harry Jiles

PJ
September 27th 03, 12:04 AM
(Bill B) wrote in message >...
> (PJ) wrote in message >...
> > franksapper > wrote in message >...
> > > I am considering looking at the Volae Club, sold by the Hostel Shoppe in
> > > Wisconsin. Does anyone have any information pertaining to this bike. Do
> > > you like it? What do you like about it? Are there other recumbents that
> > > are comprable this bike. Is this a fair price? thanks for any info.
> > >
> > > frank::D
> >

> > First the required acknowledgement....I am a Strada owner.....more
> > accurately very happy Strada owner and quite recently my wife also
> > became a happy Bacchetta owner with the purchase of a Giro.
> >
> > Now that that is out of the way. I purchased my Strada prior to the
> > Volae coming on line but the Vision Sabre was available at the time.
> > One of the reasons that I chose the Strada over the Sabre was the fact
> > that the Strada and Corsa are more versatile than either the Volae's
> > or the Sabre. I currently have my Strada set up with the M5 carbon
> > seat and a pair of very light 650c wheels and tires, with the weight
> > coming in at about 26 lbs. It is my summer, nice weather, speed
> > oriented ride.
> >
> > Following a metric century this Sunday and with the upcoming change in
> > weather, I will swap the 650 wheels and tires for the 559 wheels with
> > the one inch Specialize tires and put a set of fenders on the bike for
> > wet weather rides or even commutes. And because I will use it for
> > commutes during the winter I will most likely switch back to to the
> > Bacchetta mesh seat which allows for a more upright rider position and
> > better city/traffic handling. All of the above changes to accomodate
> > wet weather riding, cannot be made with either of the dual 26 inch
> > wheeled bikes from Volae or Vision. Wider tires, fenders and a more
> > upright seating position are not an option for the Volae or Sabre.
> > However with the Corsa/Sabre you can either dress them up or down
> > based upon your needs and riding environment.
> >
> > The Bacchetta guys are great to work with. You won't find a more
> > committed group. They focus on taking care of the customer and
> > collectively are perhaps the most knowledgeable group within the
> > recumbent industry.
> >
> > Pat McShane
>
> Pat McShane. You just helped me decide to go with a Strada. I was
> almost ready to order a Volae Club or Team but after reading your
> comments I have decided to go the Strada route that you took. Two
> seats two sets of wheels make for a very versatile bike. 26lbs in the
> go fast mode is just fine with me. Not knocking the Volae but I do
> think having a do it all bike is a good idea

Bill

Persoanlly I like having one bike that is very versatile over owning
two with more limiations. With one bike, you don't have to readjust
to different riding positions, you can keep one set of pedals on the
bike, and with all of your riding time on one bike as opposed to two,
you really learn to feel comfortable on that bike. Both the Volae's
and the Bacchettas are great bikes for their intended purposes.
However I think the Strada/Corsa are the more versatile bikes that can
serve dual uses. I have no doubt that you will enjoy the Strada.

Pat

cbb
September 27th 03, 04:39 PM
The Strada can mount fenders but it is a tight fit with the standard
fork. Ofcourse you can always swap the fork.
Actually I chose the Strada because I wanted a fast laid back bike
that could take fenders and I felt visible in traffic. I tried out
some of the Challenge bikes which are much better set up for commuting
but felt that the Hurricane was too low and the Mistral felt much
heavier and slower.
Craig

(Don) wrote in message >...
> Harry, good points. Actually, I do not think it is possible to put
> fenders on the Corsa or Aero. They have minimal clearance front
> forks. Not sure about the Strada. The Giro was designed as the
> commute/touring model. It can be tricked out as a lighter, faster
> bike. That is what I did with my frame set.

Marc Rosenbaum
September 28th 03, 12:00 AM
Hello folks

I just got on my brand new Volae Club LX today for the first time. I
also was interested in the versatility issue, although fenders is not
so much an issue for me. I am happy to report that I can fit a 559
front wheel with a Conti GP 25-559 tire on it into the Alpha Pro fork
with as much clearance, maybe a tad more, than the Spartacus Pro
23-571 that comes with the LX. The 105 brake needs a tiny bit more
reach, like a 1/16 inch. I can't imagine that one can't find a brake
that will fit this bike and allow both 559 and 571 wheels to fit. The
rear probably has the same brake reach issue but looks to have more
clearance for tires. My 26 rear is a 135 axle so I didn't try it. IN
any case, I think the Volaes will have more flexibility than may be at
first glance.

Marc Rosenbaum

(PJ) wrote in message >...
> franksapper > wrote in message >...
> > I am considering looking at the Volae Club, sold by the Hostel Shoppe in
> > Wisconsin. Does anyone have any information pertaining to this bike. Do
> > you like it? What do you like about it? Are there other recumbents that
> > are comprable this bike. Is this a fair price? thanks for any info.
> >
> > frank::D
>

> First the required acknowledgement....I am a Strada owner.....more
> accurately very happy Strada owner and quite recently my wife also
> became a happy Bacchetta owner with the purchase of a Giro.
>
> Now that that is out of the way. I purchased my Strada prior to the
> Volae coming on line but the Vision Sabre was available at the time.
> One of the reasons that I chose the Strada over the Sabre was the fact
> that the Strada and Corsa are more versatile than either the Volae's
> or the Sabre. I currently have my Strada set up with the M5 carbon
> seat and a pair of very light 650c wheels and tires, with the weight
> coming in at about 26 lbs. It is my summer, nice weather, speed
> oriented ride.
>
> Following a metric century this Sunday and with the upcoming change in
> weather, I will swap the 650 wheels and tires for the 559 wheels with
> the one inch Specialize tires and put a set of fenders on the bike for
> wet weather rides or even commutes. And because I will use it for
> commutes during the winter I will most likely switch back to to the
> Bacchetta mesh seat which allows for a more upright rider position and
> better city/traffic handling. All of the above changes to accomodate
> wet weather riding, cannot be made with either of the dual 26 inch
> wheeled bikes from Volae or Vision. Wider tires, fenders and a more
> upright seating position are not an option for the Volae or Sabre.
> However with the Corsa/Sabre you can either dress them up or down
> based upon your needs and riding environment.
>
> The Bacchetta guys are great to work with. You won't find a more
> committed group. They focus on taking care of the customer and
> collectively are perhaps the most knowledgeable group within the
> recumbent industry.
>
> Pat McShane

Warren Berger
September 28th 03, 02:59 PM
Marc,

> I can't imagine that one can't find a brake that will fit this bike and allow both 559 and 571 wheels to fit.

You are absolutely right. Don't let hysterical doomsayers get to you.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakes.html#calipers

Warren

Don
September 28th 03, 11:42 PM
Marc, You know that other board you have been hanging out at? Well,
they have both been there and done that. The answer is there. It can
be done. Sorry I can not rember which brake brand/model they used. I
have a Giro so I did not pay attention. Try a search on the Yahoo
Bacchetta forum. Don

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home