PDA

View Full Version : cordless computer range for bents

meb
October 3rd 03, 09:28 AM
I picked up a Cateye 2 cordless computer. The transmitter is working
but, my handlebars are about 100cm from the sensor mounting points
front or rear.

The specification says the transmitter has a 70cm range, and if I hold
the receiver near the transmitter, it seems to have a 70-80cm range.

Does anyone know of cordless units with more transmitter range?

Has anyone tried adding an antenna to this receiver (yeah I know it
partially defeats the purpose).

Cletus Lee
October 3rd 03, 02:09 PM
In article >, says...
> I picked up a Cateye 2 cordless computer. The transmitter is working
> but, my handlebars are about 100cm from the sensor mounting points
> front or rear.
>
> The specification says the transmitter has a 70cm range, and if I hold
> the receiver near the transmitter, it seems to have a 70-80cm range.
>
> Does anyone know of cordless units with more transmitter range?

AFAIK, 70cm is maximum for most (all?). Even 70cm is marginal and will only be valid with fresh
batteries.

> Has anyone tried adding an antenna to this receiver (yeah I know it
> partially defeats the purpose).

Your best bet if you insist on wireless, is to mount the reveiver/computer lower on the H/B
riser or on the frame using a Chronometro 'Nob'.

BTW, I thonk the 70cm is a designed limitation so that one wireless will not interfere with
another wireless when cycling in groups. It is more than twice the distance required for a
typical DF.

--

Cletus D. Lee
Bacchetta Giro

Steve Fox
October 3rd 03, 07:50 PM
Meb,

I have a Performance Axiom 10 Wireless. Got a space bar which I
attached to the bottom of the handlebars (next to where they attach to
the stem. My wheel mount is close to the dropout. Performance says the
range is 2 ft., and that seems to be the case.

Steve

meb wrote:

>I picked up a Cateye 2 cordless computer. The transmitter is working
>but, my handlebars are about 100cm from the sensor mounting points
>front or rear.
>
>The specification says the transmitter has a 70cm range, and if I hold
>the receiver near the transmitter, it seems to have a 70-80cm range.
>
>Does anyone know of cordless units with more transmitter range?
>
>Has anyone tried adding an antenna to this receiver (yeah I know it
>partially defeats the purpose).
>

>--

Steve Fox
McKinleyville, CA
http://SoTier2003.crazyguyonabike.com

\ _____,%)
(*)-'------------(*)

Cletus Lee
October 3rd 03, 07:53 PM
In article >, says...
> In article >, says...

> BTW, I thonk the 70cm is a designed limitation so that one wireless will not interfere with
> another wireless when cycling in groups. It is more than twice the distance required for a
> typical DF.

I just saw an ad in Bikeworld that said the Cordless7 now had a new longer reception range.

But from manual on the Cateye web site:
"CAUTION: In order to prevent external signal interference, the signal reception range is
limited. For best performance, the distance between the sensor and the computer must be kept
within 70cm. Attach the sensor at the upper part of your fork so that the distance becomes less
than 70cm. The signal reception range may shorten as a result of low temperature or lowered
battery power."

--

Cletus D. Lee
Bacchetta Giro