PDA

View Full Version : "Short stop" RANS seat exp.?

Scott
October 3rd 03, 08:44 PM
I noticed a RANS seat with a shorter pan advertised in the Hostel
Shoppe catalogue. Have any shorter riders out there tried one?
Especially stokers of Screamers? My wife is 5'3", and I'm wondering if
this might be the ticket for her if we go with a Screamer.

Thanks!

Scott

Steve Christensen
October 4th 03, 03:34 AM
In article >, Scott says...

>I noticed a RANS seat with a shorter pan advertised in the Hostel
>Shoppe catalogue. Have any shorter riders out there tried one?
>Especially stokers of Screamers? My wife is 5'3", and I'm wondering if
>this might be the ticket for her if we go with a Screamer.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Scott

Haven't seen one, but I sure wish the Screamer we tried out had come with one.
My wife said that by the time she got the stoker seat far enough forward, the BB
was practically underneath the seat, with the pan hitting against her thighs.
Sounds like the way to go, but how would you know without trying one out?

Steve Christensen

Scott
October 4th 03, 02:50 PM
Steve Christensen > wrote in message >...
> In article >, Scott says...
> >
> >I noticed a RANS seat with a shorter pan advertised in the Hostel
> >Shoppe catalogue. Have any shorter riders out there tried one?
> >Especially stokers of Screamers? My wife is 5'3", and I'm wondering if
> >this might be the ticket for her if we go with a Screamer.
> >
> >Thanks!
> >
> >Scott
>

> Haven't seen one, but I sure wish the Screamer we tried out had come with one.
> My wife said that by the time she got the stoker seat far enough forward, the BB
> was practically underneath the seat, with the pan hitting against her thighs.
> Sounds like the way to go, but how would you know without trying one out?
>
> Steve Christensen

Yes, Steve, this is the question. There is A LOT I like about the
Screamer, but I'm worried the fit issue might be a deal breaker. What
kind of tandem did you end up getting, if any? We're keen on a
performance tandem, light, with good climbing capabilities. We've
sort of ruled out the Double Vision, but it may get back on the short
list. Any input would be great.

Thanks.

Scott

Scott
October 5th 03, 12:01 AM
Interesting, Warren. So how tall is your riding partner on your
Screamer? Any reach, comfort issues w/the low BB?

Scott

(Warren Berger) wrote in message >...
> Scott,
>
> We have had cut down "short stop" seat pans on our V-Rex, Screamer,
> and Rocket since new. The first was the V-Rex in 1995.
>
> I cut down the V-Rex seat shortly after the bike arrived....I hate the
> "bubble butt" seats on many recumbents.
>
> Those old RANS seats, with the second generation short seat back, and
> the seat pan and pad cut down, weighed 3-1/4 pounds! :-)
>
> http://www.rowvelo.com/images/26-700VR.jpg
>
> The 26/26 version of this bike weighs an honest 27 pounds.
>
> http://www.rowvelo.com/images/26-26VRex.jpg
>
> Warren

Warren Berger
October 5th 03, 12:26 PM
Scott,

> So how tall is your riding partner on your Screamer?

She is one inch shorter than me, but we have the same X seam. Either
of us can hop on any of our bikes and ride with no adjustments needed.

> Any reach, comfort issues w/the low BB?

The cut down pans eliminate the seat cutting into the thighs on low
BB.

If you have a big butt, carrying a lot of weight, the cut down seat
pans probably won't work for you.

Warren

Steve Christensen
October 5th 03, 05:08 PM
In article >, Scott says...

>Steve Christensen > wrote in message
>> In article >, Scott says...
>> >
>> >I noticed a RANS seat with a shorter pan advertised in the Hostel
>> >Shoppe catalogue. Have any shorter riders out there tried one?
>> >Especially stokers of Screamers? My wife is 5'3", and I'm wondering if
>> >this might be the ticket for her if we go with a Screamer.
>> >
>> >Thanks!
>> >
>> >Scott
>>

>>Haven't seen one, but I sure wish the Screamer we tried out had come with one.
>>My wife said that by the time she got the stoker seat far enough forward, the BB
>>was practically underneath the seat, with the pan hitting against her thighs.
>> Sounds like the way to go, but how would you know without trying one out?
>>
>> Steve Christensen
>

>Yes, Steve, this is the question. There is A LOT I like about the
>Screamer, but I'm worried the fit issue might be a deal breaker. What
>kind of tandem did you end up getting, if any? We're keen on a
>performance tandem, light, with good climbing capabilities. We've
>sort of ruled out the Double Vision, but it may get back on the short
>list. Any input would be great.

For the time being we put the tandem search on hold. The Vision didn't feel
right, the Scream just didn't fit, and we couldn't find anything else to ride
without traveling out of state. There are so many interesting tandems out
therer (M5, Longbikes eliminator, duplex) that we would love to try, but just
can't find.

Steve Christensen

Scott
October 6th 03, 04:50 AM
(Warren Berger) wrote in message >...
> Scott,
>
> > So how tall is your riding partner on your Screamer?
>
> She is one inch shorter than me, but we have the same X seam. Either
> of us can hop on any of our bikes and ride with no adjustments needed.
>
> > Any reach, comfort issues w/the low BB?
>
> The cut down pans eliminate the seat cutting into the thighs on low
> BB.
>
> If you have a big butt, carrying a lot of weight, the cut down seat
> pans probably won't work for you.
>
> Warren

Thanks, Warren. I'll keep this in mind. We've found a couple who
will offer us a test ride, so we'll know pretty soon. My wife is
slim, small woman--5'3" about 105 lbs. soaked in olive oil. The small
seat pan should be just fine!

Thanks,

Scott

Google