PDA

View Full Version : Withlacoochie FL Rails to Trails Ride

Rod
October 5th 03, 09:35 PM
Wanna see some recumbents?

Be sure and ttend that ride next year. I'd say it's 50% bent 50% other
which would include the once or twice a year crowd that want to support
Rails to Trails. The ride grows every year. In fact this year the line to
the restrooms was probably 15 minutes and the lunch line was long, too. The
organizers are top shelf folks and probably were taken by suprise by the
turnout. It was getting close to 90 degrees by noon.

Bents of every make, model and description. Super fast guys and almost none
of the stereotypical 30 RPM cadence with the flags that wobble down the
bunny trail.

Scads of Stradas. Probably more of those than anything else.

Great time had by all.

Rod Kuehl
Bacchetta Strada
RANS V2

fred (remove underscores, add . )
October 6th 03, 02:11 PM
My wife and I attended this ride and with an early start (7:15am) we were
off into the fog on our Rans Screamer. It seemed that, at that time of the
morning, it was a two recumbents to one upright ratio! It evened out later
in the ride, as the fog lifted, but the numbers were very high. I concur
with the 'scads of stradas' reference, but also a large number of EZ-1s and
variants as well as a good number of BikeEs. A handful of trikes, a couple
more Screamers and a Double Vision was detected.

I couldn't identify the low racer that passed in the other direction, just
under knee height, but the African Grey amazon parrot on his shoulder made
for an interesting mascot!

The ride event was not a mass start, unfortunately, as getting all the
recumbents together in one place would have made for a great photo.

fred and ginnie
daytona beach, fl

John Riley
October 6th 03, 05:59 PM
Y'all got calenders yet in Florida? ;-) When is or was this ride?

john riley

DrRecumbnt
October 6th 03, 08:02 PM
Yeah, how about a heads up before it happens ; - )
Bob Bryant
Recumbent Cyclist News

Bill
October 6th 03, 08:09 PM
John, the ride was yesterday, October 5th and was the ninth annual ride.
Should be early in October again next year. The support groups did a great
job this year. Last year they were surprised by the turn out and ran out of
food, not so this year as they clearly did a much better planning job!

The above reports are correct, many more riders this year (900+) vs. last
year (500+). Also I'd estimate about 30-40 bents this year vs. 2-5 last
year. Lots of Bachetta's(Giro, Corsa, Strada and an Aero). Several trikes
including at least 2 speeds, 2 wiz wheels and a wind cheetah. Also a number
of rans and visions. I'd estimate the most often seen was the combination
of tour easy and gold rush models.

Kark down this ride on your calendar for next year.

Regards,

Bill

"John Riley" > wrote in message
> Y'all got calenders yet in Florida? ;-) When is or was this ride?
>
> john riley
>

> --

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home