PDA

View Full Version : My First Flat

pjclarkesq
October 7th 03, 10:59 PM
Had the first flat on my new Tour Easy. Luckily I was only about 2.5
miles from home. Still...a long walk for an old guy (be 70 next spring)
pushing a big long Tour Easy. So I guess I better learn how to fix flats
again. Haven't had to do that since I had my first bike back in the
1940's....a big old balloon tired bike with nothing but a "New Departure"
brake to complicate taking off the rear wheel.

Can anyone recommend a bike repair manual clear enough for a mechanically
inept guy to understand that will help me get that rear wheel off and safely
back on? I watched the guy at the bike repair shop but he got the wheel off
so fast I couldn't keep up with what, precisely, he did to get it off. I'd
appreciate any suggestions.

Phil

jim h
October 8th 03, 01:14 AM
Phil, some will argue but my opinion is that with good tires and correctly
installed tubes, flats are extremely rare. I can easily fix a flat. I carry
spare tubes, hand pump, tire levers etc - and have never used them in years
of recumbent riding. Same with the guys I ride with.

I suggest that you had an early flat because a tube was pinched, a spoke
head protruded, bad rim strip or some other mechanical fault.

I also suggest tires with Kevlar bands for extreme puncture resistance.

My point is that your effort is best spent getting to the root cause of the
flat. You might ask the shop to look for any obvious problem in the wheels
or tires, but if none is found, just put in a new tube and write off that
first flat as a fluke.

Bob Stan
October 8th 03, 03:55 AM
On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 19:14:25 -0500, jim h wrote:

>Phil, some will argue but my opinion is that with good tires and correctly
>installed tubes, flats are extremely rare. I can easily fix a flat. I carry
>spare tubes, hand pump, tire levers etc - and have never used them in years
>of recumbent riding. Same with the guys I ride with.
>
>I suggest that you had an early flat because a tube was pinched, a spoke
>head protruded, bad rim strip or some other mechanical fault.
>
>I also suggest tires with Kevlar bands for extreme puncture resistance.
>
>My point is that your effort is best spent getting to the root cause of the
>flat. You might ask the shop to look for any obvious problem in the wheels
>or tires, but if none is found, just put in a new tube and write off that
>first flat as a fluke.

Good advice BUT as rare as flats are it is best to be prepared to fix them on
your own - even four miles are a long walk with a bike, as I learned when I
left my repair kit at home because it was just a short ride............

Torben Scheel
October 8th 03, 10:04 AM
"jim h" > wrote in message ...
> Phil, some will argue but my opinion is that with good tires and correctly
> installed tubes, flats are extremely rare. I can easily fix a flat. I
carry
> spare tubes, hand pump, tire levers etc - and have never used them in
years
> of recumbent riding. Same with the guys I ride with.

And others (like me) have flats for approx. every 60 miles. It depends a lot
of your roads. But then again - we mostly get beer in glassbottles, not cans
around here (Denmark)

> I suggest that you had an early flat because a tube was pinched, a spoke
> head protruded, bad rim strip or some other mechanical fault.

It has happened to me, but mostly its flintstone or glass in the tire.

> I also suggest tires with Kevlar bands for extreme puncture resistance.

Good advice, but learn to fix flats anyway - If not for anything else, then
for the above mentioned reasons.

> My point is that your effort is best spent getting to the root cause of
the
> flat. You might ask the shop to look for any obvious problem in the wheels
> or tires, but if none is found, just put in a new tube and write off that
> first flat as a fluke.

Not nescessary - my tubes carry 10-15 patches before they hit the bin. It's
not the tubes fault that the stonechip get's through the tyre.

Regards,
Torben

Terry Neff
October 8th 03, 02:25 PM
Hi Phil,

> Can anyone recommend a bike repair manual clear enough for a mechanically
> inept guy to understand that will help me get that rear wheel off and
safely
> back on? I watched the guy at the bike repair shop but he got the wheel
off
> so fast I couldn't keep up with what, precisely, he did to get it off.
I'd
> appreciate any suggestions.

I found the following book useful for general bike repair and
maintenance:

--------------------
Bicycling Magazines
"Complete Guide to Bicycle Maintenance and Repair"
by Jim Langley
--------------------

For web sites you might look at:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/flats.html

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQGP2.shtml

http://home.comcast.net/~jeffnapier/bikewebsite/flat.htm

Terry

Cletus Lee
October 8th 03, 02:50 PM
In article >, says...
> Phil, some will argue but my opinion is that with good tires and correctly
> installed tubes, flats are extremely rare. I can easily fix a flat. I carry
> spare tubes, hand pump, tire levers etc - and have never used them in years
> of recumbent riding. Same with the guys I ride with.

And I guess I have to be the first to argue with that opinion. Jim, you must live in an
extremely idealistic and protected world. Statements such as yours are an invitation for a
visit by the p*nct*re fairy. It is true that you can avoid almost all flats simply by not
riding a bike. It that your secret?

Sure, you can with proper precautions, avoid pinch flats, and 'snake bite' types of flats.
Kevlar belted tires help against cuts. Avoiding all the 'seeable' road hazards is also
possible. But even the newest 'bestest' kevlar tires will not stand up to all of the detritus
that litters the roadways that I have to travel.

My usual flat involves embedded glass or wire. It works its way into the tread, through the
kevlar cord and eventually has its way with the tube inside. Once in a great while, I will hit
a large glass shard that will slice through several layers of kevlar and not only destroy the
tube but the tire as well.

--

Cletus D. Lee
Bacchetta Giro

iLiad
October 8th 03, 03:23 PM
Well, hopefully someone will actually answer your question in here ;-)
When I lived in Nashville, the router I rode almost guaranteed one flat per
week. Since moving
to Tampa, it has been one flat per month if that.
I ride anywhere from 30 to 50 mile rides daily, and there isn't a chance in
hell I am going to go out without
the tools and knowledge to fix a flat. I don't think they have a triple A
for bikes? With that in mind, here is some advice.

First of all, make sure you are airing your tires up to spec. If you are
running them low, you will likely see more flats, snake bites, etc.
If you do get a flat, taking the tire off is usually the easiest part.

I would highly recommend you take an extra tube (or two if your bent has
different size tires).
The reason is it is fast, easy, and you can't always find the hole that
caused the flat. But, bring a tube repair kit as well. You may end up with
two flats then your toast.

Taking the tire off usually requires just one tire tool, don't know the name
of it. After getting the tire off, be SURE to check for thorns, glass,
steel, etc. inside the tire. I simply rub my finger around the inside of it.
I'm sure someday I'll get cut doing this as someone is surely to note. If
you don't, you are going to get a flat down the road again.

After you have fixed the flat on the tube, or replace it, you generally put
some air in the tube to keep it from getting pinched. When you put the tire
back on, don't use the tire tools. You will likely scar the tube and have
another flat. Also, massage the tire/tube around as you fit it to work out
any kinks, or you will get a snake bite flat.

Also, if you get into longer rides, you need to carry a toolset with you. A
few extra links for the chain, a chain tool, etc.

And I know I still haven't answered your question, but it will help down the
line. If you would like more help, let me know. I would be happy to explain
it over the phone, rather then typing it all out. Oh, finally, the bike
repair shop will likely answer this question for you and show you how to fix
the flat if you ask them.

"pjclarkesq" > wrote in message
> Had the first flat on my new Tour Easy. Luckily I was only about 2.5
> miles from home. Still...a long walk for an old guy (be 70 next spring)
> pushing a big long Tour Easy. So I guess I better learn how to fix flats
> again. Haven't had to do that since I had my first bike back in the
> 1940's....a big old balloon tired bike with nothing but a "New Departure"
> brake to complicate taking off the rear wheel.
>
> Can anyone recommend a bike repair manual clear enough for a mechanically
> inept guy to understand that will help me get that rear wheel off and
safely
> back on? I watched the guy at the bike repair shop but he got the wheel
off
> so fast I couldn't keep up with what, precisely, he did to get it off.
I'd
> appreciate any suggestions.
>
> Phil

Lewis Campbell
October 8th 03, 03:24 PM
Having a flat on a 'bent is really no different from having one on an MTB or
any other bicycle.

The point I'm trying to make is that you could have ANYONE, who knows how to
fix a flat, show you how to do it. However, if you don't practice it
several times and it takes you 6 months to get your next flat, you'll
probably have to go through the learning curve again.

Good luck.

--
Lewis.

"pjclarkesq" > wrote in message
> Had the first flat on my new Tour Easy. Luckily I was only about 2.5
> miles from home. Still...a long walk for an old guy (be 70 next spring)
> pushing a big long Tour Easy. So I guess I better learn how to fix flats
> again. Haven't had to do that since I had my first bike back in the
> 1940's....a big old balloon tired bike with nothing but a "New Departure"
> brake to complicate taking off the rear wheel.
>
> Can anyone recommend a bike repair manual clear enough for a mechanically
> inept guy to understand that will help me get that rear wheel off and
safely
> back on? I watched the guy at the bike repair shop but he got the wheel
off
> so fast I couldn't keep up with what, precisely, he did to get it off.
I'd
> appreciate any suggestions.
>
> Phil

Robert Stevahn
October 8th 03, 03:51 PM
On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 19:14:25 -0500, "jim h" > wrote:

>Phil, some will argue but my opinion is that with good tires and correctly
>installed tubes, flats are extremely rare.

Congratulations, but that's just nuts. You clearly do not live in
goathead country. Here, even all the slime and kevlar in the world
won't solve the problem.

That being said, I've certainly noticed quite a difference depending
on tire configuration. I used to run Panaracer 1-1/8" tires at 100
lbs. Got flats all the time. At least one a week. I switched to
Panaracer Tecnova II 1" tires at 125 lbs. and have only had one flat
in about 500 miles, and that was caused by walking my bike through
what turned out to be a large goathead patch.

The best way to learn to change tires efficiently is to find an expert
and have them show you. Look for a bicycle maintenance class if you
can.

-- Robert

Diane Krohn
October 8th 03, 04:06 PM
I've always liked "Anybody's Bike Book" by Tom Cuthbertson, for bike repair
stuff. The author assumes that you are not especally well-versed about the
technical aspect of repairs and bikes, so he explains things clearly and in
simple terms. Drawings accompany instructions as well. This book has
always worked quite well for me (well, when Wayne's not around to help...)

Diane and Wayne
RANS Screamer, Haluzak Horizon, GRR
"pjclarkesq" > wrote in message
> Had the first flat on my new Tour Easy. Luckily I was only about 2.5
> miles from home. Still...a long walk for an old guy (be 70 next spring)
> pushing a big long Tour Easy. So I guess I better learn how to fix flats
> again. Haven't had to do that since I had my first bike back in the
> 1940's....a big old balloon tired bike with nothing but a "New Departure"
> brake to complicate taking off the rear wheel.
>
> Can anyone recommend a bike repair manual clear enough for a mechanically
> inept guy to understand that will help me get that rear wheel off and
safely
> back on? I watched the guy at the bike repair shop but he got the wheel
off
> so fast I couldn't keep up with what, precisely, he did to get it off.
I'd
> appreciate any suggestions.
>
> Phil

harv
October 8th 03, 04:43 PM
Single tool is possible Crank Brother Speed Lever, which generally works
well. Since I changed to Stelvios, I added 3 regular strong plastic tire
levers to my kit. The speed lever just won't do it with very tight tires.

It is good to practice taking the wheel and tire off and replacing them in
the comfort and safety of home. Just figuring out how to lay the bike in a
stable position and pulling back the derailleur to release and insert the
wheel is just as important as how to replace or patch a tube. A tip: take
your new spare tubes and put them in a grocery sack with some talcum powder
and shake and bake the tubes. The talc is a good lubricant. Put the powder
covered tubes in a plastic zippy bag for your road kit.

Since we are both at geezer age taking along the trifocals in your kit if
you normally wear single vision is a good idea. Tough to fix a flat if you
can't see it.

Pumping up a tire with a bike frame pump can be tough. I can't hold the
tire/valve/pump head with one hand while pumping with the other to get up to
riding pressure. I have to lay the wheel on the ground and put a spacer
under the pump head -so it doesn't rip the valve off- so I can get enough
muscle behind the pump to get 120 psi.

A Tour Easy isn't a wallyworld bike. Don't be afraid to go back to your LBS
and have them demonstrate the whole procedure for you. It's a lot easier to
do it after seeing a demonstration.

Also, most flats seem to be on back tires. Learn how to reach behind the
seat and use the palm of your riding glove to brush crap off of the tire
before glass can work its way through the tire.

Good luck, and once you learn how fix a fl*t, I hope you never have to apply
the skill.

snip
> Taking the tire off usually requires just one tire tool, don't know the
name
> of it. After getting the tire off, be SURE to check for thorns, glass,
> steel, etc. inside the tire. I simply rub my finger around the inside of
it.
> I'm sure someday I'll get cut doing this as someone is surely to note. If
> you don't, you are going to get a flat down the road again.

snip

GeoB
October 8th 03, 08:50 PM
> to Tampa, it has been one flat per month if that.

I had two in 8 months, both on the same day, same place.

> I ride anywhere from 30 to 50 mile rides daily,

But I am riding along a bus route so I can always hop on the bus if I
don't wanna patch the tube. The buses have bike racks.

> and there isn't a chance in
> hell I am going to go out without
> the tools and knowledge to fix a flat.

Certainly true for me away from the bus route, IE out of town, etc

> I would highly recommend you take an extra tube
> (or two if your bent has different size tires).

Save the old tube, take it home and patch it.

> You may end up with
> two flats then your toast.

I couldn't believe it the other day, TWO flats at the same time.
Here's the deal... the street-sweeper guy did a lousey job. His bin
must have ben full because he swept well, but deposited all the glass
and puncture vine burrs eveing across the road, not just in the gutter
as before. These drivers like to finish their route early, then ask
for an over-time route (doesn't matter how long it ACTUALLY took to do
his route).

> I'm sure someday I'll get cut doing this as someone is surely to note.

So noted. I have thrust puncture-vine (Goat Heads) into my fingers
doing that, as well as glass, but I still do it.

> After you have fixed the flat on the tube, or replace it, you generally put
> some air in the tube to keep it from getting pinched.

Just one/two pump strokes, or so. Any more and it will work against
you.

> massage the tire/tube around as you fit it to work out
> any kinks, or you will get a snake bite flat.

If you have schraeder valves (like a car), then make sure it is
standing perpendicular to the rim when done. Don't try to push it up
straight if it isn't, instead grasp the tire in one hand and the rim
in another and rotate the tire on the rim just enough to straighten
the valve stem.

Also, when you think you are ready to inflate, put a cap on the valve
stem, and *push* it into the rim, but not all the way. This gives
clearance for the tire bead to fit *under* the thick base of the valve
stem. Otherwise the tire bead won't seat properly.

Next, gently hold the rim and slowly spin it. Watch the molded raised
line on the tire, just outside of the rim. Use it to make sure the
tire is even on the rim all the way around. If it is too far in or
out at some point, grasp that spot on both sides of thetire with your
thumb and forefinger, pinch it together, rock it back and forth, pull
on it a bit if necessary till it gets even.

> Also, if you get into longer rides, you need to carry
> a toolset with you. A few extra links for the chain,
> a chain tool, etc.

Minimize the use of the chain stuff by routinely lubing the chain.
Mine needs it about every week/50 miles.

GeoB

Gerald Muffoletto Louisiana
October 8th 03, 09:01 PM
"iLiad" > wrote in message >...

> I would highly recommend you take an extra tube (or two if your bent has
> different size tires).
> The reason is it is fast, easy, and you can't always find the hole that
> caused the flat. But, bring a tube repair kit as well. You may end up with
> two flats then your toast.

After 2 large holes in the tire on my Aero from flats, I now carry a
tire and two tubes. The reason I carry the tire & tube is to save
changing time. I can strip the tire and tube & replace the old tire &
tube without the worry of finding what caused the flat. I don't like
fast moving vehicles making noise while I try to find a leak; I
usually do the hard work at home the next day.

I was riding a century and cut the tire where the tire would not hold
the tube in the tire with a good boot. I had to walk 5 miles when a
very very nice person gave me a ride to my car which was 25 miles
away. The next weekend I had to pay a person $10 to give me a 35 mile
ride after riding 60 miles and walking 2 miles uphill. After that, I
started looking at Airfree tires but then do not have 650 sizes yet;
maybe next year or the next after the 559 is available.

In Baton Rouge, we practice changing tires with experienced bikes at a
practice site.

pjclarkesq
October 8th 03, 10:52 PM
WOW!!!!! Did I get a lot of great stuff about tire repair. I thanked some
of you with a private note but decided it would be better to do it this way.
It's really neat how many of you spent time to help this old geezer out. I
hope you all have hundreds of flat free miles.
Phil
"pjclarkesq" > wrote in message
> Had the first flat on my new Tour Easy. Luckily I was only about 2.5
> miles from home. Still...a long walk for an old guy (be 70 next spring)
> pushing a big long Tour Easy. So I guess I better learn how to fix flats
> again. Haven't had to do that since I had my first bike back in the
> 1940's....a big old balloon tired bike with nothing but a "New Departure"
> brake to complicate taking off the rear wheel.
>
> Can anyone recommend a bike repair manual clear enough for a mechanically
> inept guy to understand that will help me get that rear wheel off and
safely
> back on? I watched the guy at the bike repair shop but he got the wheel
off
> so fast I couldn't keep up with what, precisely, he did to get it off.
I'd
> appreciate any suggestions.
>
> Phil

jim h
October 8th 03, 11:04 PM
Ha, I knew I'd stir up a hornets' nest. Yes, everyone should know how to fix
a flat. In 45 years of biking I've repaired a few. But a flat on a new bike
isn't normal and probably means something was wrong.

I knew the 'goathead thorn' people would jump in, too. What the heck are
those things? Somebody give me a link to a picture.

Robert Stevahn
October 8th 03, 11:34 PM
On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 17:04:43 -0500, "jim h" > wrote:

>I knew the 'goathead thorn' people would jump in, too. What the heck are
>those things? Somebody give me a link to a picture.

http://www.goatheads.com

-- Robert

iLiad
October 9th 03, 12:28 AM
Well, it was great to share. And probably one of the longest threads on here
for a while that didn't include some threats and bashing. Would like to see
more of it in the future.....

;-)

"pjclarkesq" > wrote in message
. net...
> WOW!!!!! Did I get a lot of great stuff about tire repair. I thanked
some
> of you with a private note but decided it would be better to do it this
way.
> It's really neat how many of you spent time to help this old geezer out.
> hope you all have hundreds of flat free miles.
> Phil
> "pjclarkesq" > wrote in message
> > Had the first flat on my new Tour Easy. Luckily I was only about 2.5
> > miles from home. Still...a long walk for an old guy (be 70 next spring)
> > pushing a big long Tour Easy. So I guess I better learn how to fix
flats
> > again. Haven't had to do that since I had my first bike back in the
> > 1940's....a big old balloon tired bike with nothing but a "New
Departure"
> > brake to complicate taking off the rear wheel.
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a bike repair manual clear enough for a
mechanically
> > inept guy to understand that will help me get that rear wheel off and
> safely
> > back on? I watched the guy at the bike repair shop but he got the wheel
> off
> > so fast I couldn't keep up with what, precisely, he did to get it off.
> I'd
> > appreciate any suggestions.
> >
> > Phil

BentHeadSWB
October 9th 03, 02:26 AM
I had three flats in 99 for my first year of recumbent riding. Got used to
pulling that 35x700C tire off and having fun. My last flat for that year was
in July and I had no flats in 2000 so I felt good.
2001 came in and I went for broke with a Specialized Nimbus EX (armadillo
kevlar belt) in the rear and Snafu Rim Job (20x1.95 130 PSI) front tire. Rode
it with no problems in the spring and shipped my recumbent to Korea.
The year in Korea came and went with no flats, not even when I rode about
250 meters across glass strewn trails. I was feeling bullet-proof!
Came back last year and the concept of getting a flat was fading away.
July, 2003 my 4 year streak was celebrated with a flat...on the front! A thorn
went through the front tire and I pulled out my pump, spare tube and bike tools
and noted I had a flat. A week later, I was greeted with a front flat again!
Rim tape failure so I took care of that.
August came along and, you guessed it... another front tire flat! Ran
over a roofing staple so I was really eating up the tubes. Early September
greeted me with another front tire flat caused by a thumb tack. The month was
not over so I had to take the front tire out again with another thumb tack!
4 years without a flat and 5 FRONT tire flats in 3 months. The Nimbus EX
rear tire has not flatted in almost 4 years (I put it on Feb 2000) It is
really, really worn and will be replaced for the spring riding season. Maybe I
should hang it up with a gold ribbon on it for flat-free performance.
The comment about quality tires, I needed some humor to brighten up my day!
I have flatted Michelin, Specialized, Raleigh, Tioga, Snafu, Avocet and others
with no problem. You roll the dice and take your chances.

John H
Finding tumb tacks in N TX

jim h
October 9th 03, 03:36 AM
Now I'm afraid to ride. I'm sure the Puncture God will punish me. I will
get 5 years worth of overdue flats in the next month. :-)

Maybe I've actually had lots of flats but the experiences wer so traumatic
that I repressed the memories...

jim h
October 10th 03, 12:18 AM
Thanks. Yeah they do look menacing. Not a problem for me - they can't
survive a Minnesota winter. You guys in the South just need to have someone
drive ahead of you and spread weevils on the road.

"Robert Stevahn" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 17:04:43 -0500, "jim h" > wrote:
>
> >I knew the 'goathead thorn' people would jump in, too. What the heck are
> >those things? Somebody give me a link to a picture.
>
> http://www.goatheads.com
>
> -- Robert

harv
October 10th 03, 02:18 AM
Just hundreds? I have had three flats in the last 7000 miles and that's at
east three too many.
"pjclarkesq" > wrote in message
. net...
> WOW!!!!! Did I get a lot of great stuff about tire repair. I thanked
some
> of you with a private note but decided it would be better to do it this
way.
> It's really neat how many of you spent time to help this old geezer out.
> hope you all have hundreds of flat free miles.
> Phil
> "pjclarkesq" > wrote in message
> > Had the first flat on my new Tour Easy. Luckily I was only about 2.5
> > miles from home. Still...a long walk for an old guy (be 70 next spring)
> > pushing a big long Tour Easy. So I guess I better learn how to fix
flats
> > again. Haven't had to do that since I had my first bike back in the
> > 1940's....a big old balloon tired bike with nothing but a "New
Departure"
> > brake to complicate taking off the rear wheel.
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a bike repair manual clear enough for a
mechanically
> > inept guy to understand that will help me get that rear wheel off and
> safely
> > back on? I watched the guy at the bike repair shop but he got the wheel
> off
> > so fast I couldn't keep up with what, precisely, he did to get it off.
> I'd
> > appreciate any suggestions.
> >
> > Phil

Sticker Jim
October 11th 03, 02:50 AM
Question: Why do some people have asterisks at weird places in certain
words? Is it some kind of censor function of the site they post from or
their newsreader app? IE, why "fl*t" and "p*nct*re"? OR, is this some kind
of "knock on wood" defecne against flats (err, fl*ts)? :)

Thanks

"harv" > wrote in message
> Single tool is possible Crank Brother Speed Lever, which generally works
> well. Since I changed to Stelvios, I added 3 regular strong plastic tire
> levers to my kit. The speed lever just won't do it with very tight tires.
>
> It is good to practice taking the wheel and tire off and replacing them in
> the comfort and safety of home. Just figuring out how to lay the bike in a
> stable position and pulling back the derailleur to release and insert the
> wheel is just as important as how to replace or patch a tube. A tip: take
> your new spare tubes and put them in a grocery sack with some talcum
powder
> and shake and bake the tubes. The talc is a good lubricant. Put the powder
> covered tubes in a plastic zippy bag for your road kit.
>
> Since we are both at geezer age taking along the trifocals in your kit if
> you normally wear single vision is a good idea. Tough to fix a flat if you
> can't see it.
>
> Pumping up a tire with a bike frame pump can be tough. I can't hold the
> tire/valve/pump head with one hand while pumping with the other to get up
> riding pressure. I have to lay the wheel on the ground and put a spacer
> under the pump head -so it doesn't rip the valve off- so I can get enough
> muscle behind the pump to get 120 psi.
>
> A Tour Easy isn't a wallyworld bike. Don't be afraid to go back to your
LBS
> and have them demonstrate the whole procedure for you. It's a lot easier
> do it after seeing a demonstration.
>
> Also, most flats seem to be on back tires. Learn how to reach behind the
> seat and use the palm of your riding glove to brush crap off of the tire
> before glass can work its way through the tire.
>
> Good luck, and once you learn how fix a fl*t, I hope you never have to
apply
> the skill.
>
> snip
> > Taking the tire off usually requires just one tire tool, don't know the
> name
> > of it. After getting the tire off, be SURE to check for thorns, glass,
> > steel, etc. inside the tire. I simply rub my finger around the inside of
> it.
> > I'm sure someday I'll get cut doing this as someone is surely to note.
If
> > you don't, you are going to get a flat down the road again.
> >
> snip

Sticker Jim
October 11th 03, 02:54 AM
<snip>

> > I'm sure someday I'll get cut doing this as someone is surely to note.
>
> So noted. I have thrust puncture-vine (Goat Heads) into my fingers
> doing that, as well as glass, but I still do it.
>
> GeoB

I carry a couple kleenex in my kit and if I get a flat, I just gently run
the kleenex around the inside of the tire. Anything nasty sticking up will
usually snag the kleenex and tear a piece off. I developed this method
after a rather nasty slice on two fingers from a long and thin piece of
glass through the tire.

Cletus D. Lee
October 11th 03, 02:59 AM
In article <4pJhb.275828$Lnr1.198610
@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>, says...

> <snip>
>
> > > I'm sure someday I'll get cut doing this as someone is surely to note.
> >
> > So noted. I have thrust puncture-vine (Goat Heads) into my fingers
> > doing that, as well as glass, but I still do it.
> >
> > GeoB
>
> I carry a couple kleenex in my kit and if I get a flat, I just gently run
> the kleenex around the inside of the tire. Anything nasty sticking up will
> usually snag the kleenex and tear a piece off. I developed this method
> after a rather nasty slice on two fingers from a long and thin piece of
> glass through the tire.

Also helps sop up the blood after you've found the glass shard with
your fingers.

--
Cletus D. Lee
Bacchetta Giro

Tom Sherman
October 11th 03, 04:30 AM
iLiad wrote:
> ... After getting the tire off, be SURE to check for thorns, glass,
> steel, etc. inside the tire. I simply rub my finger around the inside of it.
> I'm sure someday I'll get cut doing this as someone is surely to note. If
> you don't, you are going to get a flat down the road again....

Check the rim strip also, as protruding spokes can cause punctures.

Tom Sherman - Near the confluence of the Mississippi and Rock Rivers

Tom Sherman
October 11th 03, 04:33 AM
harv wrote:
> Pumping up a tire with a bike frame pump can be tough. I can't hold the
> tire/valve/pump head with one hand while pumping with the other to get up to
> riding pressure. I have to lay the wheel on the ground and put a spacer
> under the pump head -so it doesn't rip the valve off- so I can get enough
> muscle behind the pump to get 120 psi....

Have you considered getting a Topeak Road Morph?

> Also, most flats seem to be on back tires. Learn how to reach behind the
> seat and use the palm of your riding glove to brush crap off of the tire
> before glass can work its way through the tire....

Or you could accidentally stick your fingers into the spokes - I will
pass on this suggestion.

Tom Sherman - Near the confluence of the Mississippi and Rock Rivers

Tom Sherman
October 11th 03, 04:36 AM
Sticker Jim wrote:

> Question: Why do some people have asterisks at weird places in certain
> words? Is it some kind of censor function of the site they post from or
> their newsreader app? IE, why "fl*t" and "p*nct*re"? OR, is this some kind
> of "knock on wood" defecne against flats (err, fl*ts)? :)

W* h*v* * sh*rt*g* *f v*wv*ls.

T*m Sh*rm*n - N**r th* c*nfl**nc* *f th* M*ss*ss*pp* *nd R*ck R*v*rs

Tom Sherman
October 11th 03, 04:43 AM
Lewis Campbell wrote:

> Having a flat on a 'bent is really no different from having one on an MTB or
> any other bicycle....

Unless you have a Windcheetah "Speedy" where all the wheels have single
side mounts, so the tires can be removed with the wheels in place.

Tom Sherman - Near the confluence of the Mississippi and Rock Rivers

Tom Sherman
October 11th 03, 04:47 AM
pjclarkesq wrote:

> WOW!!!!! Did I get a lot of great stuff about tire repair. I thanked some
> of you with a private note but decided it would be better to do it this way.
> It's really neat how many of you spent time to help this old geezer out. I
> hope you all have hundreds of flat free miles.

What about flat free kilometers for those who live in countries that
have adopted SI, i.e. 95% of the world?

Tom Sherman - Near the confluence of the Mississippi and Rock Rivers

Lewis Campbell
October 11th 03, 11:52 AM
Its probably so that they can say words like ' ph*ck ' and not offend anybody. :-)

Lewis.

***********************

"Sticker Jim" > wrote in message . rogers.com>...
> Question: Why do some people have asterisks at weird places in certain
> words? Is it some kind of censor function of the site they post from or
> their newsreader app? IE, why "fl*t" and "p*nct*re"? OR, is this some kind
> of "knock on wood" defecne against flats (err, fl*ts)? :)
>
> Thanks
>
> "harv" > wrote in message
> > Single tool is possible Crank Brother Speed Lever, which generally works
> > well. Since I changed to Stelvios, I added 3 regular strong plastic tire
> > levers to my kit. The speed lever just won't do it with very tight tires.
> >
> > It is good to practice taking the wheel and tire off and replacing them in
> > the comfort and safety of home. Just figuring out how to lay the bike in a
> > stable position and pulling back the derailleur to release and insert the
> > wheel is just as important as how to replace or patch a tube. A tip: take
> > your new spare tubes and put them in a grocery sack with some talcum
> powder
> > and shake and bake the tubes. The talc is a good lubricant. Put the powder
> > covered tubes in a plastic zippy bag for your road kit.
> >
> > Since we are both at geezer age taking along the trifocals in your kit if
> > you normally wear single vision is a good idea. Tough to fix a flat if you
> > can't see it.
> >
> > Pumping up a tire with a bike frame pump can be tough. I can't hold the
> > tire/valve/pump head with one hand while pumping with the other to get up
> > riding pressure. I have to lay the wheel on the ground and put a spacer
> > under the pump head -so it doesn't rip the valve off- so I can get enough
> > muscle behind the pump to get 120 psi.
> >
> > A Tour Easy isn't a wallyworld bike. Don't be afraid to go back to your
> LBS
> > and have them demonstrate the whole procedure for you. It's a lot easier
> > do it after seeing a demonstration.
> >
> > Also, most flats seem to be on back tires. Learn how to reach behind the
> > seat and use the palm of your riding glove to brush crap off of the tire
> > before glass can work its way through the tire.
> >
> > Good luck, and once you learn how fix a fl*t, I hope you never have to
> apply
> > the skill.
> >
> > snip
> > > Taking the tire off usually requires just one tire tool, don't know the
> name
> > > of it. After getting the tire off, be SURE to check for thorns, glass,
> > > steel, etc. inside the tire. I simply rub my finger around the inside of
> it.
> > > I'm sure someday I'll get cut doing this as someone is surely to note.
> If
> > > you don't, you are going to get a flat down the road again.
> > >
> > snip

Tom Blum
October 11th 03, 12:24 PM
"Question: Why do some people have asterisks at weird places in certain
words? Is it some kind of censor function of the site they post from or
their newsreader app? IE, why "fl*t" and "p*nct*re"? OR, is this some kind
of "knock on wood" defecne against flats (err, fl*ts)? :)"

Exactly!!! To talk about it is to invite a string of them. They do seem to
run in clusters.

In my own case, when I have a ****, I just go home and shoot two more tires
to get the obigatory three out of the way. Sometimes it doesn't work.
--
Miles of Smiles,

Tom Blum
Winter Haven, Florida
Homebuilts: SWB
Tour Easy Clone
Speed Machine Clone
High Racer Clone
www.gate.net/~teblum

Sticker Jim
October 11th 03, 02:53 PM
"Tom Sherman" > wrote in message

> Sticker Jim wrote:
> >
> > Question: Why do some people have asterisks at weird places in certain
> > words? Is it some kind of censor function of the site they post from or
> > their newsreader app? IE, why "fl*t" and "p*nct*re"? OR, is this some
kind
> > of "knock on wood" defecne against flats (err, fl*ts)? :)
>
> W* h*v* * sh*rt*g* *f v*wv*ls.
>
> T*m Sh*rm*n - N**r th* c*nfl**nc* *f th* M*ss*ss*pp* *nd R*ck R*v*rs

V*r* cl*v*r. :)

Sticker Jim
October 11th 03, 02:54 PM
That I can understand, but in words like "flat" and "puncture"? (I've seen
other common, everyday, non-vulgar words with similar asterisk substitutions
in this NG too)

"Lewis Campbell" > wrote in message
om...
> [...]
> > > riding pressure. I have to lay the wheel on the ground and put a
spacer
> > > under the pump head -so it doesn't rip the valve off- so I can get
enough
> > > muscle behind the pump to get 120 psi.
> > >
> > > A Tour Easy isn't a wallyworld bike. Don't be afraid to go back to
your
> > LBS
> > > and have them demonstrate the whole procedure for you. It's a lot
easier
> > > do it after seeing a demonstration.
> > >
> > > Also, most flats seem to be on back tires. Learn how to reach behind
the
> > > seat and use the palm of your riding glove to brush crap off of the
tire
> > > before glass can work its way through the tire.
> > >
> > > Good luck, and once you learn how fix a fl*t, I hope you never have to

rorschandt
October 11th 03, 04:10 PM
"Sticker Jim" > wrote in
able.rogers.com:

> "Tom Sherman" > wrote in message
>>
>> Sticker Jim wrote:
>> >
>> > Question: Why do some people have asterisks at weird places in
>> > certain words? Is it some kind of censor function of the site they
>> > post from or their newsreader app? IE, why "fl*t" and "p*nct*re"?
>> > OR, is this some
> kind
>> > of "knock on wood" defecne against flats (err, fl*ts)? :)
>>
>> W* h*v* * sh*rt*g* *f v*wv*ls.
>>
>> T*m Sh*rm*n - N**r th* c*nfl**nc* *f th* M*ss*ss*pp* *nd R*ck R*v*rs
>
> V*r* cl*v*r. :)

I'd like to buy a vowel...

--
May all beings be happy.
May they be joyous and live in safety.

Tom Sherman
October 11th 03, 07:00 PM
Sticker Jim wrote:

> That I can understand, but in words like "flat" and "puncture"? (I've seen
> other common, everyday, non-vulgar words with similar asterisk substitutions
> in this NG too)

In the world of bicycling Usenet newsgroups h*lm*t is considered a word
to avoid, as it leads to interminable discussions with the same people
posting the same arguments over and over again (especially if the thread
is cross-posted).

Tom Sherman - Near the confluence of the Mississippi and Rock Rivers

Mikael Seierup
October 11th 03, 08:09 PM
"Tom Sherman" skrev

> In the world of bicycling Usenet newsgroups h*lm*t is considered a word
> to avoid, as it leads to interminable discussions with the same people
> posting the same arguments over and over again (especially if the thread
> is cross-posted).

And if you write "helmut" that german guy complains.

M.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home