PDA

View Full Version : Armadillo v Schwalbe marathon

Neil Smith[_2_]
April 16th 15, 04:46 PM
Dear All,
For many years I thought my hobby was not cycling but puncture repair, until I discovered Specialized Armadillo tyres. The only drawback for them was there life was limited by the rubber outer that would perish and disintegrate. 12-18 months is the most you can expect from them.
I was wondering if Schwalbe marathon tyres were as puncture resistant and would perhaps wear better.
Thanks

The Medway Handyman[_4_]
April 16th 15, 05:54 PM
On 16/04/2015 16:46, Neil Smith wrote:
> Dear All,
> For many years I thought my hobby was not cycling but puncture repair, until I discovered Specialized Armadillo tyres. The only drawback for them was there life was limited by the rubber outer that would perish and disintegrate. 12-18 months is the most you can expect from them.
> I was wondering if Schwalbe marathon tyres were as puncture resistant and would perhaps wear better.
> Thanks

Cyclists would still have to carry a puncture repair kit - for their
inflatable girlfriends.

Simon Jester
April 16th 15, 06:14 PM
On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 5:54:40 PM UTC+1, The Medway Handyman wrote:

> Cyclists would still have to carry a puncture repair kit - for their
> inflatable girlfriends.

All female cyclists are lesbians?

Mr Pounder
April 16th 15, 07:14 PM
"Simon Jester" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 5:54:40 PM UTC+1, The Medway Handyman
> wrote:
>

>> Cyclists would still have to carry a puncture repair kit - for their
>> inflatable girlfriends.
>>

> All female cyclists are lesbians?

The two that I forced off the footpath on Sunday were.

Rob Morley
April 17th 15, 04:19 AM
On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 08:46:29 -0700 (PDT)
Neil Smith > wrote:

> Dear All,
> For many years I thought my hobby was not cycling but puncture
> repair, until I discovered Specialized Armadillo tyres. The only
> drawback for them was there life was limited by the rubber outer that
> would perish and disintegrate. 12-18 months is the most you can
> expect from them. I was wondering if Schwalbe marathon tyres were as
> puncture resistant and would perhaps wear better. Thanks

I've heard that Armadillos suffer from premature ageing, but people
like them because they're responsive for a puncture resistant tyre.
Schwalbe Marathon Plus will resist land-mines and last until all the
rubber is worn off the tread. They do however weigh a ton, and they're
not exactly zippy.
You'll probably find regular Marathons will do the job, as long as you
can live with what is basically a touring tyre.
The Marathon Supreme looks like a sportier tyre, but doesn't come
narrower than 28C - anyone know what that's about?

The Medway Handyman[_4_]
April 17th 15, 08:34 AM
On 16/04/2015 18:14, Simon Jester wrote:
> On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 5:54:40 PM UTC+1, The Medway Handyman wrote:
>

>> Cyclists would still have to carry a puncture repair kit - for their
>> inflatable girlfriends.
>>

> All female cyclists are lesbians?

What a terrible thing to say. Please stop making homophobic remarks.

Roger Merriman[_4_]
April 17th 15, 11:04 AM
Neil Smith > wrote:

> Dear All,
> For many years I thought my hobby was not cycling but puncture repair,
>until I discovered Specialized Armadillo tyres. The only drawback for
>them was there life was limited by the rubber outer that would perish
>and disintegrate. 12-18 months is the most you can expect from them.
> I was wondering if Schwalbe marathon tyres were as puncture resistant and
> would perhaps wear better. Thanks

The Marathon in plus or not form seem to last for ever, or at least
10,000miles give or take.

if it's a road bike there is also durano plus.

other options if punctures are a issue the brave new world of tubeless
is reportly puncture if not free very much less. not without it's cost
and hassel though.

Roger Merriman

Ian Smith
April 17th 15, 10:00 PM
On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 04:19:27 +0100, Rob Morley > wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 08:46:29 -0700 (PDT)
> Neil Smith > wrote:
>
> > expect from them. I was wondering if Schwalbe marathon tyres were
> > as puncture resistant and would perhaps wear better. Thanks
>
> I've heard that Armadillos suffer from premature ageing, but people
> like them because they're responsive for a puncture resistant tyre.
> Schwalbe Marathon Plus will resist land-mines and last until all
> the rubber is worn off the tread. They do however weigh a ton, and
> they're not exactly zippy.

I've punctured a marathon plus once. However, I'd also worn it down
until some of teh blue layer was showing and tread was a distant
memory.

My car tyres puncture more frequently than teh marathon plus on my
bike. I use them on my utility / commuting bike so that I just don't
need to worry about punctures. I used Conti Top Touring before teh
Marathon Plus was invented, but I've been using it exclusively since
it was invented. As noted, I've had one puncture in that time (which
is now getting on for 20 years of daily commute? - I can't remember
when they brought the tyre out)

I buy the tyres sufficiently rarely that I can't remember how often
that is - it's certainly a period measured in years between puchases -
maybe 3 yrs / 10,000 miles?

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Simon Jester
April 19th 15, 10:38 PM
On Friday, April 17, 2015 at 8:34:14 AM UTC+1, The Medway Handyman wrote:

> What a terrible thing to say. Please stop making homophobic remarks.

I thought all you kids used AQI.
Maybe they don't teach punctuation in ditch digging school.

paul george
April 19th 15, 10:48 PM
On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 4:46:30 PM UTC+1, Neil Smith wrote:
> Dear All,
> For many years I thought my hobby was not cycling but puncture repair, until I discovered Specialized Armadillo tyres. The only drawback for them was there life was limited by the rubber outer that would perish and disintegrate. 12-18 months is the most you can expect from them.
> I was wondering if Schwalbe marathon tyres were as puncture resistant and would perhaps wear better.
> Thanks

Marathons are heavy, teflon coated with high rolling resistance.
Try Panaracer Pasela but avoid Panaracer RiBiMo.

The Medway Handyman[_4_]
April 20th 15, 07:29 AM
On 19/04/2015 22:38, Simon Jester wrote:
> On Friday, April 17, 2015 at 8:34:14 AM UTC+1, The Medway Handyman wrote:
>

>> What a terrible thing to say. Please stop making homophobic remarks.
>>

> I thought all you kids used AQI.
> Maybe they don't teach punctuation in ditch digging school.

?????

AQI Air Quality Index
AQI Al-Qaeda in Iraq
AQI Agricultural Quarantine Inspection
AQI Australian Questioning Intonation
AQI Access Query Interface (database systems)
AQI Al-Qaeda Intelligence
AQi Intelligent Acoustic Quantification
AQI Australian Quality Ingredient

Google