PDA

View Full Version : Pavement cyclist maims woman, grins and rides away.

MrCheerful
April 23rd 15, 08:21 AM
A passer-by stopped to help while her husband Patric Baird dialled 999
before keeping watch as the cyclist went to lock up his racing bike,
near Sainsbury’s in Tower Bridge Road.

Instead of waiting for emergency services to arrive, the man aged around
30, shaven-headed and 6ft tall, leapt back onto the saddle and sped down
an alley into Bermondsey Square.

He paused to turn his head and smile before pedalling away through a
graveyard of St Mary Magdelen Church.

Ms McVeigh was taken into the lobby of a neighbouring apartment block
and given first aid before being rushed to St Thomas’ Hospital where she
was treated for a potential neck fracture and deep cuts to her forehead.

She suffered deep cuts to her head, a broken nose and dislocated finger

She has been told by doctors that the scars are unlikely to ever heal.

She also suffered a broken nose, dislocated finger and head trauma and
has been unable to return to work following the crash at 6pm last Tuesday.

Ms McVeigh has now turned to Twitter to catch the cyclist, saying Met
police initially informed her there were “no leads”. The force has since
promised to “double-check” its original investigation.

Ms McVeigh told the Standard: “The cyclist was on the pavement and
ploughed into me, from the left. No warning, sudden impact. A very,
violent collision.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/woman-scarred-for-life-after-cyclist-knocked-her-over-then-grinned-before-speeding-off-10197227.html

Peter Keller[_3_]
April 23rd 15, 09:44 AM
I hope the CCTV helps.
Did anyone take a photo of him as he was 'walking back' with his bicycle?
This is really bad.

The Medway Handyman[_4_]
April 23rd 15, 09:49 AM
On 23/04/2015 09:44, Peter Keller wrote:
> I hope the CCTV helps.
> Did anyone take a photo of him as he was 'walking back' with his bicycle?
> This is really bad.

Reregistration plates would have identified him.

Tarcap
April 23rd 15, 11:59 AM
"Peter Keller" wrote in message ...

I hope the CCTV helps.
Did anyone take a photo of him as he was 'walking back' with his bicycle?
This is really bad.

Did anyone get his number plate? Oh, sorry, I forgot..........

colwyn[_2_]
April 23rd 15, 03:03 PM
On 23/04/2015 11:59, Tarcap wrote:

> "Peter Keller" wrote in message ...
> I hope the CCTV helps.
> Did anyone take a photo of him as he was 'walking back' with his bicycle?
> This is really bad.
>
> Did anyone get his number plate? Oh, sorry, I forgot..........

Car cloning is the vehicle equivalent of identity theft. It is estimated
that there are as many as 10,000 cloned cars on our roads, but many
people are still unaware of the problem, and even the police admit they
don't know the true scale of it.

I wonder if cyclists would use such subterfuge?

Tarcap
April 23rd 15, 03:28 PM
"colwyn" wrote in message ...

On 23/04/2015 11:59, Tarcap wrote:

> "Peter Keller" wrote in message ...
> I hope the CCTV helps.
> Did anyone take a photo of him as he was 'walking back' with his bicycle?
> This is really bad.
>
> Did anyone get his number plate? Oh, sorry, I forgot..........

Car cloning is the vehicle equivalent of identity theft. It is estimated
that there are as many as 10,000 cloned cars on our roads, but many
people are still unaware of the problem, and even the police admit they
don't know the true scale of it.

I wonder if cyclists would use such subterfuge?

Well, as they don't have to, they merely just scarper leaving their victims
bleeding on the floor.
Smiling, too. He was probably proud of what he had just done.

MrCheerful
April 23rd 15, 03:44 PM
On 23/04/2015 15:03, colwyn wrote:
> On 23/04/2015 11:59, Tarcap wrote:
>>

>> "Peter Keller" wrote in message ...
>> I hope the CCTV helps.
>> Did anyone take a photo of him as he was 'walking back' with his bicycle?
>> This is really bad.
>>
>> Did anyone get his number plate? Oh, sorry, I forgot..........
>
> Car cloning is the vehicle equivalent of identity theft. It is estimated
> that there are as many as 10,000 cloned cars on our roads, but many
> people are still unaware of the problem, and even the police admit they
> don't know the true scale of it.
>
> I wonder if cyclists would use such subterfuge?

I would guarantee that some would, it would be startling if some did
not, but it would help with the apprehension of at least some offenders,
and hopefully the knowledge that the cyclist is traceable would improve
the cyclist's road behaviour and usage. Imagine how bad the roads would
be if the vast majority of motor vehicles were as untraceable as
bicycles are at present.

Ronnie[_2_]
April 23rd 15, 04:38 PM
On 23/04/2015 15:44, Mrcheerful wrote:
> On 23/04/2015 15:03, colwyn wrote:
>> On 23/04/2015 11:59, Tarcap wrote:
>>>

>>> "Peter Keller" wrote in message ...
>>> I hope the CCTV helps.
>>> Did anyone take a photo of him as he was 'walking back' with his
>>> bicycle?
>>> This is really bad.
>>>
>>> Did anyone get his number plate? Oh, sorry, I forgot..........
>>
>> Car cloning is the vehicle equivalent of identity theft. It is estimated
>> that there are as many as 10,000 cloned cars on our roads, but many
>> people are still unaware of the problem, and even the police admit they
>> don't know the true scale of it.
>>
>> I wonder if cyclists would use such subterfuge?
>

> I would guarantee that some would, it would be startling if some did
> not, but it would help with the apprehension of at least some offenders,
> and hopefully the knowledge that the cyclist is traceable would improve
> the cyclist's road behaviour and usage. Imagine how bad the roads would
> be if the vast majority of motor vehicles were as untraceable as
> bicycles are at present.

"145 hit-and-run deaths prompt calls for action against illegal drivers"
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1515864/145-hit-and-run-deaths-prompt-calls-for-action-against-illegal-drivers.html

jnugent
April 23rd 15, 04:52 PM
On 23/04/2015 16:38, Ronnie wrote:

> On 23/04/2015 15:44, Mrcheerful wrote:

>>> Car cloning is the vehicle equivalent of identity theft. It is estimated
>>> that there are as many as 10,000 cloned cars on our roads, but many
>>> people are still unaware of the problem, and even the police admit they
>>> don't know the true scale of it.
>>> I wonder if cyclists would use such subterfuge?
>
>> I would guarantee that some would, it would be startling if some did
>> not, but it would help with the apprehension of at least some offenders,
>> and hopefully the knowledge that the cyclist is traceable would improve
>> the cyclist's road behaviour and usage. Imagine how bad the roads would
>> be if the vast majority of motor vehicles were as untraceable as
>> bicycles are at present.
>
> "145 hit-and-run deaths prompt calls for action against illegal drivers"
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1515864/145-hit-and-run-deaths-prompt-calls-for-action-against-illegal-drivers.html

It's about time it was made illegal to drive illegally. And about time
there was some means of identifying motor vehicles whose drivers are
acting illegally, illegally.

Ronnie[_2_]
April 23rd 15, 05:07 PM
On 23/04/2015 16:52, JNugent wrote:
> On 23/04/2015 16:38, Ronnie wrote:

>>> I would guarantee that some would, it would be startling if some did
>>> not, but it would help with the apprehension of at least some offenders,
>>> and hopefully the knowledge that the cyclist is traceable would improve
>>> the cyclist's road behaviour and usage. Imagine how bad the roads would
>>> be if the vast majority of motor vehicles were as untraceable as
>>> bicycles are at present.
>>
>> "145 hit-and-run deaths prompt calls for action against illegal drivers"
>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1515864/145-hit-and-run-deaths-prompt-calls-for-action-against-illegal-drivers.html
>>

> It's about time it was made illegal to drive illegally. And about time
> there was some means of identifying motor vehicles whose drivers are
> acting illegally, illegally.

Totally agree, but until then, 99% of cyclists are riding *legally* on
the roads. If any aren't using lights at night, they should be punished
the same as any other road user in a vehicle.
Too often vehicles are let off for faulty or no lights....and I mean
motor vehicles as well as cyclists.
Not enough coppers to catch them is the main problem, IMO.

Ronnie

The Medway Handyman[_4_]
April 23rd 15, 05:18 PM
On 23/04/2015 15:03, colwyn wrote:
> On 23/04/2015 11:59, Tarcap wrote:
>>

>> "Peter Keller" wrote in message ...
>> I hope the CCTV helps.
>> Did anyone take a photo of him as he was 'walking back' with his bicycle?
>> This is really bad.
>>
>> Did anyone get his number plate? Oh, sorry, I forgot..........
>
> Car cloning is the vehicle equivalent of identity theft. It is estimated
> that there are as many as 10,000 cloned cars on our roads, but many
> people are still unaware of the problem, and even the police admit they
> don't know the true scale of it.

10,000 out of 28,000,000.

> I wonder if cyclists would use such subterfuge?

Bound too. Bunch of lying toads.

jnugent
April 23rd 15, 05:20 PM
On 23/04/2015 17:07, Ronnie wrote:
> On 23/04/2015 16:52, JNugent wrote:

>>> "145 hit-and-run deaths prompt calls for action against illegal drivers"
>>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1515864/145-hit-and-run-deaths-prompt-calls-for-action-against-illegal-drivers.html
>
>> It's about time it was made illegal to drive illegally. And about time
>> there was some means of identifying motor vehicles whose drivers are
>> acting illegally, illegally.
>
> Totally agree, but until then, 99% of cyclists are riding *legally* on
> the roads.

WHAT?

19% would be nearer the mark. In London in particular, the footway is
the place you'll find cyclists, particularly at junctions and in
pedestrian-only areas used as a cut-through.

> If any aren't using lights at night, they should be punished
> the same as any other road user in a vehicle.
> Too often vehicles are let off for faulty or no lights....and I mean
> motor vehicles as well as cyclists.

I'm much more philospohical about lights. As I've said before, everyone
will eventually drive or ride with a faulty light, because there's
nothing useful anyone can do to prevent a bulb from blowing. And
replacement is only an issue when it is known that the bulb has ceased
functioning.

As long as the lamp is changed promptly, it's all the law can
*reasonably* demand, in my opinion.

But that applies only to lighting systems which are present but faulty
because of a blown bulb. If a bike simply hasn't got lights and is still
being used during the hours of darkness (or has a lighting system which
isn't switched on), permanent confiscation of the machine would be an
entirely reasonable response.

> Not enough coppers to catch them is the main problem, IMO.

Too many officers regarding egregious traffic behaviour as "proper
police work".

The Medway Handyman[_4_]
April 23rd 15, 05:20 PM
On 23/04/2015 17:07, Ronnie wrote:
> On 23/04/2015 16:52, JNugent wrote:

>>> "145 hit-and-run deaths prompt calls for action against illegal drivers"
>>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1515864/145-hit-and-run-deaths-prompt-calls-for-action-against-illegal-drivers.html
>>>

>> It's about time it was made illegal to drive illegally. And about time
>> there was some means of identifying motor vehicles whose drivers are
>> acting illegally, illegally.
> >

> Totally agree, but until then, 99% of cyclists are riding *legally* on
> the roads.

Most are riding illegally on the pavements.

> If any aren't using lights at night, they should be punished
> the same as any other road user in a vehicle.

If you could trace them. Registration plates for cyclists would help.

> Too often vehicles are let off for faulty or no lights....and I mean
> motor vehicles as well as cyclists.
> Not enough coppers to catch them is the main problem, IMO.

Certainly not enough coppers to apprehend all the law breaking cyclists.

jnugent
April 23rd 15, 05:33 PM
On 23/04/2015 17:20, JNugent wrote:
> On 23/04/2015 17:07, Ronnie wrote:

>>> It's about time it was made illegal to drive illegally. And about time
>>> there was some means of identifying motor vehicles whose drivers are
>>> acting illegally, illegally.
>>
>> Totally agree, but until then, 99% of cyclists are riding *legally* on
>> the roads.
>
> WHAT?
>
> 19% would be nearer the mark. In London in particular, the footway is
> the place you'll find cyclists, particularly at junctions and in
> pedestrian-only areas used as a cut-through.
>
>> If any aren't using lights at night, they should be punished
>> the same as any other road user in a vehicle.
>> Too often vehicles are let off for faulty or no lights....and I mean
>> motor vehicles as well as cyclists.
>
> I'm much more philospohical about lights. As I've said before, everyone
> will eventually drive or ride with a faulty light, because there's
> nothing useful anyone can do to prevent a bulb from blowing. And
> replacement is only an issue when it is known that the bulb has ceased
> functioning.
>
> As long as the lamp is changed promptly, it's all the law can
> *reasonably* demand, in my opinion.
>
> But that applies only to lighting systems which are present but faulty
> because of a blown bulb. If a bike simply hasn't got lights and is still
> being used during the hours of darkness (or has a lighting system which
> isn't switched on), permanent confiscation of the machine would be an
> entirely reasonable response.
>
>> Not enough coppers to catch them is the main problem, IMO.
>
> Too many officers regarding egregious traffic behaviour as "proper
> police work".

Sorry: missed out a "not" from that last sentence.

Ronnie[_2_]
April 23rd 15, 05:42 PM
> On 23/04/2015 17:07, Ronnie wrote:

>>> It's about time it was made illegal to drive illegally. And about time
>>> there was some means of identifying motor vehicles whose drivers are
>>> acting illegally, illegally.
>> >

>> Totally agree, but until then, 99% of cyclists are riding *legally* on
>> the roads.
>
> Most are riding illegally on the pavements.
>
>> If any aren't using lights at night, they should be punished
>> the same as any other road user in a vehicle.
>
> If you could trace them. Registration plates for cyclists would help.
>
>> Too often vehicles are let off for faulty or no lights....and I mean
>> motor vehicles as well as cyclists.
>> Not enough coppers to catch them is the main problem, IMO.
>
> Certainly not enough coppers to apprehend all the law breaking cyclists.

Or the 600,000 car drivers on the road without tax & insurance.

jnugent
April 23rd 15, 05:50 PM
On 23/04/2015 17:42, Ronnie wrote:
> On 23/04/2015 17:20, The Medway Handyman wrote:

>>> Totally agree, but until then, 99% of cyclists are riding *legally* on
>>> the roads.
>>
>> Most are riding illegally on the pavements.
>>
>>> If any aren't using lights at night, they should be punished
>>> the same as any other road user in a vehicle.
>>
>> If you could trace them. Registration plates for cyclists would help.
>>
>>> Too often vehicles are let off for faulty or no lights....and I mean
>>> motor vehicles as well as cyclists.
>>> Not enough coppers to catch them is the main problem, IMO.
>>
>> Certainly not enough coppers to apprehend all the law breaking cyclists.
>>

> Or the 600,000 car drivers on the road without tax & insurance.

That should be made illegal.

PS: How is that count done? Any idea?

Ronnie[_2_]
April 23rd 15, 06:01 PM
On 23/04/2015 17:50, JNugent wrote:
> On 23/04/2015 17:42, Ronnie wrote:

>>> Most are riding illegally on the pavements.

>>> If you could trace them. Registration plates for cyclists would help.

>>> Certainly not enough coppers to apprehend all the law breaking cyclists.
>>>

>> Or the 600,000 car drivers on the road without tax & insurance.
>
> That should be made illegal.
>
> PS: How is that count done? Any idea?

I think it's comparing the records of the DVLA with all of the insurance
companies records. A pure guess.

jnugent
April 23rd 15, 07:14 PM
On 23/04/2015 18:01, Ronnie wrote:
> On 23/04/2015 17:50, JNugent wrote:

>>> Or the 600,000 car drivers on the road without tax & insurance.
>>
>> That should be made illegal.
>>
>> PS: How is that count done? Any idea?
>>
> I think it's comparing the records of the DVLA with all of the insurance
> companies records. A pure guess.

It's not a good methodology.

I could drive a relative's uninsured car on my insurance and be legal.

I'm not saying that such arrangements are common, just that conclusions
drawn on the basis of such rough and ready comparisons are unreliable.

MrCheerful
April 23rd 15, 07:33 PM
On 23/04/2015 18:01, Ronnie wrote:
> On 23/04/2015 17:50, JNugent wrote:

>>> Or the 600,000 car drivers on the road without tax & insurance.
>>
>> That should be made illegal.
>>
>> PS: How is that count done? Any idea?
>>
> I think it's comparing the records of the DVLA with all of the insurance
> companies records. A pure guess.

might just be vehicles where off road has not been declared, lets face
it, the dvla/police could not have a clue as to an actual number, not
even an estimate.

The Medway Handyman[_4_]
April 24th 15, 09:35 AM
On 23/04/2015 17:42, Ronnie wrote:
> On 23/04/2015 17:20, The Medway Handyman wrote:

>>> Totally agree, but until then, 99% of cyclists are riding *legally* on
>>> the roads.
>>
>> Most are riding illegally on the pavements.
>>
>>> If any aren't using lights at night, they should be punished
>>> the same as any other road user in a vehicle.
>>
>> If you could trace them. Registration plates for cyclists would help.
>>
>>> Too often vehicles are let off for faulty or no lights....and I mean
>>> motor vehicles as well as cyclists.
>>> Not enough coppers to catch them is the main problem, IMO.
>>
>> Certainly not enough coppers to apprehend all the law breaking cyclists.
>>

> Or the 600,000 car drivers on the road without tax & insurance.

Or 2%. 98% are taxed & insured. Registration plates work.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home