PDA

View Full Version : FS: Bacchetta Aero

JoeG
October 9th 03, 12:35 AM
$3000.00 OBO Please don't call with lowball offers - if you must negotiate,
please do it in good faith. This is Seattle area, and you pay the shipping
or pickup, or I will deliver up to 200 miles from Seattle.

email with questions or to make an offer

Okay, now that we got that out of the way, it's just a normal Aero,
purchased spring of this year. There's nothing wrong it, excellent
condition. How many miles? ?? It's really hard to answer this question,
because I have 6 bikes, but maybe a thousand or so?

Why am I selling it? I have Stiletto fever. I've run out of room in the
bikeroom - if I get another bike, one has to go. I tried selling the Fold
Rush, no takers. It looks like the Aero is getting voted off the island.

It has upgraded wheeset to the Spartacus Pro's (which are standard now, but
weren't when I bought it), and a Reynolds Ouzo Pro Aero fork, which probably
shaves 3/4 pound off the weight. It also has some rigged-up water bottle
holders; these work with a slimmer bottle size (Elite Patao cages; Bajiji
bottles) - I will include a pair of these bottles. If you like hydration
bladders then you won't care about this.

Dura/Ace barcons instead of twistgrip shifters. Otherwise, it's stock. I'm
including a Radical Designs Solo bag, and the Lowrider panniers. These last
are REALLY cool - require no rack - they hook onto the M5 seat, weigh only
520 grams (!), and will hold 2x12.5 liters. See
www.radicaldesign.nl/en/a...niers.html for a picture. The weight
distribution's is awesome, and subjectively doesn't seem to slow me down
much - I suspect this might vary with different size riders - I'm not huge
by any means, but 200 lbs., and I might have a wider 'shadow' than some
which probably shields part of the higher part of the panniers. Or maybe
not.

The Solo bag is at: www.radicaldesign.nl/en/a..._bags.html

Don't ask me to quote the weight of the bike - just go weigh an Aero at your
dealer and subtract 3/4 lb. and you'll be close.

Here's your chance to go fast, be cool, wow your friends. It's been proven
that titanium bike owners live longer and are better lovers.

TimH
October 9th 03, 12:02 PM
"JoeG" > wrote in message
> It has a Reynolds Ouzo Pro Aero fork, which probably
> shaves 3/4 pound off the weight.

Wow, that stock Kinesis carbon aero fork must be heavy. Funny, I weighed
the Kinesis aluminum fork on my Strada and it only weighed 1-1/2 pounds
total WITH the front brake caliper attached.

Zach Kaplan Cycles
October 9th 03, 04:21 PM
"TimH" > wrote in message >...
> "JoeG" > wrote in message
> > It has a Reynolds Ouzo Pro Aero fork, which probably
> > shaves 3/4 pound off the weight.
>
> Wow, that stock Kinesis carbon aero fork must be heavy. Funny, I weighed
> the Kinesis aluminum fork on my Strada and it only weighed 1-1/2 pounds
> total WITH the front brake caliper attached.

From my digital scale:
Stock Kinesis carbon Aero fork: 723 grams
Reynolds Ouzo Pro Aero fork : 394 grams

Zach Kaplan

Jim Verheul
October 9th 03, 06:44 PM
.... which is a difference of 0.7253134 lb.
1 1/2 lb is 680.3886 grams.

http://www.joshmadison.com/software/convert/

JV

"Zach Kaplan Cycles" > wrote in message
om...
> "TimH" > wrote in message
> > "JoeG" > wrote in message
> > > It has a Reynolds Ouzo Pro Aero fork, which probably
> > > shaves 3/4 pound off the weight.
> >
> > Wow, that stock Kinesis carbon aero fork must be heavy. Funny, I
weighed
> > the Kinesis aluminum fork on my Strada and it only weighed 1-1/2 pounds
> > total WITH the front brake caliper attached.
>
> From my digital scale:
> Stock Kinesis carbon Aero fork: 723 grams
> Reynolds Ouzo Pro Aero fork : 394 grams
>
> Zach Kaplan

joeg
October 9th 03, 08:10 PM
The Kinesis Airfoil is a great fork; does a terrific job of stabilizing the
front wheel (and therefore, the handling of the bike) if you're using deep
rim aero wheels in crosswinds (the Spartacus rims on the bike are not
particularly deep or aerodynamic, btw, but in theory one MIGHT put 60 mm
rims on the bike - it's that kind of bike), but it ain't light. It's a
boat anchor. It's a great example of Bacchetta doing a superb job of
spec'ing the bike with effective components that aren't excessively pricey.
I replaced the fork because I'm a gearhead; if I still had the old fork I'd
put it back on to sell. I very much doubt that the fancy Reynolds fork
adds any appreciable difference to my speed on any course. Or subtracts
any, for that matter. The Kinesis Airfoil is the same fork that Quintana
Roo used to put on their triathlon bikes, called the 'Carbonaero' - it was
hot stuff in the late 90's. The Reynolds fork is more like 2001's hot
fork - I'm not sure what this week's cool 650c aero fork is. I put the
Reynolds fork on because I was very familiar with the product and liked it,
and I was (probably extremely foolishly) getting wieght-weenie-ish about the
bike.

I think the stock Aero's are plenty light, and the upgrade to this fork is
not going to make anyone's life that much (if any) better - but that's
what's on the bike (I think Mr. Pinto has the same fork on his personal
bike).

"Jim Verheul" > wrote in message
et...
> ... which is a difference of 0.7253134 lb.
> 1 1/2 lb is 680.3886 grams.
>
> http://www.joshmadison.com/software/convert/
>
> JV
>

> "Zach Kaplan Cycles" > wrote in message
> om...
> > >
> > > Wow, that stock Kinesis carbon aero fork must be heavy. Funny, I
> weighed
> > > the Kinesis aluminum fork on my Strada and it only weighed 1-1/2
pounds
> > > total WITH the front brake caliper attached.
> >
> > From my digital scale:
> > Stock Kinesis carbon Aero fork: 723 grams
> > Reynolds Ouzo Pro Aero fork : 394 grams
> >
> > Zach Kaplan

joeg
October 9th 03, 08:38 PM
Please do not email me asking for my LOWEST price. I'm asking $3000.00
plus the actual cost of shipping. Slightly lower offers will be
entertained. Substantially lower offers are a waste of your time, with all
due respect.

"JoeG" > wrote in message
> $3000.00 OBO Please don't call with lowball offers - if you must
negotiate,
> please do it in good faith. This is Seattle area, and you pay the shipping
> or pickup, or I will deliver up to 200 miles from Seattle.
>
> email with questions or to make an offer
>
> Okay, now that we got that out of the way, it's just a normal Aero,
> purchased spring of this year. There's nothing wrong it, excellent
> condition. How many miles? ?? It's really hard to answer this question,
> because I have 6 bikes, but maybe a thousand or so?
>
> Why am I selling it? I have Stiletto fever. I've run out of room in the
> bikeroom - if I get another bike, one has to go. I tried selling the Fold
> Rush, no takers. It looks like the Aero is getting voted off the island.
>
> It has upgraded wheeset to the Spartacus Pro's (which are standard now,
but
> weren't when I bought it), and a Reynolds Ouzo Pro Aero fork, which
probably
> shaves 3/4 pound off the weight. It also has some rigged-up water bottle
> holders; these work with a slimmer bottle size (Elite Patao cages; Bajiji
> bottles) - I will include a pair of these bottles. If you like hydration
> bladders then you won't care about this.
>
> Dura/Ace barcons instead of twistgrip shifters. Otherwise, it's stock. I'm
> including a Radical Designs Solo bag, and the Lowrider panniers. These
last
> are REALLY cool - require no rack - they hook onto the M5 seat, weigh only
> 520 grams (!), and will hold 2x12.5 liters. See
> www.radicaldesign.nl/en/a...niers.html for a picture. The weight
> distribution's is awesome, and subjectively doesn't seem to slow me down
> much - I suspect this might vary with different size riders - I'm not huge
> by any means, but 200 lbs., and I might have a wider 'shadow' than some
> which probably shields part of the higher part of the panniers. Or maybe
> not.
>
> The Solo bag is at: www.radicaldesign.nl/en/a..._bags.html
>
> Don't ask me to quote the weight of the bike - just go weigh an Aero at
your
> dealer and subtract 3/4 lb. and you'll be close.
>
> Here's your chance to go fast, be cool, wow your friends. It's been proven
> that titanium bike owners live longer and are better lovers.

joeg
October 9th 03, 08:40 PM
It's a medium - I'm 5' 10"

"joeg" > wrote in message
> Please do not email me asking for my LOWEST price. I'm asking $3000.00
> plus the actual cost of shipping. Slightly lower offers will be
> entertained. Substantially lower offers are a waste of your time, with
all
> due respect.
>
> "JoeG" > wrote in message
> > $3000.00 OBO Please don't call with lowball offers - if you must
> negotiate,
> > please do it in good faith. This is Seattle area, and you pay the
shipping
> > or pickup, or I will deliver up to 200 miles from Seattle.
> >
> > email with questions or to make an offer
> >
> > Okay, now that we got that out of the way, it's just a normal Aero,
> > purchased spring of this year. There's nothing wrong it, excellent
> > condition. How many miles? ?? It's really hard to answer this question,
> > because I have 6 bikes, but maybe a thousand or so?
> >
> > Why am I selling it? I have Stiletto fever. I've run out of room in the
> > bikeroom - if I get another bike, one has to go. I tried selling the
Fold
> > Rush, no takers. It looks like the Aero is getting voted off the island.
> >
> > It has upgraded wheeset to the Spartacus Pro's (which are standard now,
> but
> > weren't when I bought it), and a Reynolds Ouzo Pro Aero fork, which
> probably
> > shaves 3/4 pound off the weight. It also has some rigged-up water bottle
> > holders; these work with a slimmer bottle size (Elite Patao cages;
Bajiji
> > bottles) - I will include a pair of these bottles. If you like hydration
> > bladders then you won't care about this.
> >
> > Dura/Ace barcons instead of twistgrip shifters. Otherwise, it's stock.
I'm
> > including a Radical Designs Solo bag, and the Lowrider panniers. These
> last
> > are REALLY cool - require no rack - they hook onto the M5 seat, weigh
only
> > 520 grams (!), and will hold 2x12.5 liters. See
> > www.radicaldesign.nl/en/a...niers.html for a picture. The weight
> > distribution's is awesome, and subjectively doesn't seem to slow me down
> > much - I suspect this might vary with different size riders - I'm not
huge
> > by any means, but 200 lbs., and I might have a wider 'shadow' than some
> > which probably shields part of the higher part of the panniers. Or
maybe
> > not.
> >
> > The Solo bag is at: www.radicaldesign.nl/en/a..._bags.html
> >
> > Don't ask me to quote the weight of the bike - just go weigh an Aero at
> your
> > dealer and subtract 3/4 lb. and you'll be close.
> >
> > Here's your chance to go fast, be cool, wow your friends. It's been
proven
> > that titanium bike owners live longer and are better lovers.

Tom Sherman
October 10th 03, 02:02 AM
Jim Verheul wrote:

> ... which is a difference of 0.7253134 lb.
> 1 1/2 lb is 680.3886 grams....
>
> "Zach Kaplan Cycles" > wrote in message
> om...
> > From my digital scale:
> > Stock Kinesis carbon Aero fork: 723 grams
> > Reynolds Ouzo Pro Aero fork : 394 grams

No, it is not. Since Zach Kaplan provides a measurement with three
significant figures, it is incorrect to state the converted value of
that figure to seven significant digits.

Using a fraction implies that the measurement is only accurate to the
quantity represented by the inverse of the denominator, therefore to
maintain the same approximate degree of precision, 1 1/2 pounds should
be converted to 700 grams-force.

Tom Sherman

Jim Verheul
October 11th 03, 02:14 AM
What do you do for a living, grade lab reports?? ;-)
No argument from me Tom. You are correct.

JV

"Tom Sherman" > wrote in message

> Jim Verheul wrote:
> >
> > ... which is a difference of 0.7253134 lb.
> > 1 1/2 lb is 680.3886 grams....
> >
> > "Zach Kaplan Cycles" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > From my digital scale:
> > > Stock Kinesis carbon Aero fork: 723 grams
> > > Reynolds Ouzo Pro Aero fork : 394 grams
>
> No, it is not. Since Zach Kaplan provides a measurement with three
> significant figures, it is incorrect to state the converted value of
> that figure to seven significant digits.
>
> Using a fraction implies that the measurement is only accurate to the
> quantity represented by the inverse of the denominator, therefore to
> maintain the same approximate degree of precision, 1 1/2 pounds should
> be converted to 700 grams-force.
>
> Tom Sherman

Terry Walden
October 11th 03, 02:22 AM
What x-seam or body size is recommended for the medium frame size

Thanks
Terry

"joeg" > wrote in message
> [...]
> > > distribution's is awesome, and subjectively doesn't seem to slow me
down
> > > much - I suspect this might vary with different size riders - I'm not
> huge
> > > by any means, but 200 lbs., and I might have a wider 'shadow' than
some
> > > which probably shields part of the higher part of the panniers. Or
> maybe
> > > not.
> > >
> > > The Solo bag is at: www.radicaldesign.nl/en/a..._bags.html
> > >
> > > Don't ask me to quote the weight of the bike - just go weigh an Aero
at
> > your
> > > dealer and subtract 3/4 lb. and you'll be close.
> > >
> > > Here's your chance to go fast, be cool, wow your friends. It's been
> proven
> > > that titanium bike owners live longer and are better lovers.

Jude T. McGloin
October 11th 03, 03:32 AM
True the stock fork is a tad heavy, however as most know its the
aerodynamic properties that Bacchetta selected this fork for.
I run the HED disk/HED-3 combo on my AERO for flat to rolling
terrain. I go to a lighter wheelset for hill climbing.
Gearhead?..Since I own a candystore I can have the candy I want...so
can Zach.
However, I have foun that dropping 18 lbs has done more for my speed
than anything I have done to the AERO thus far...Ta..Ta!

--
Jude....///Bacchetta AERO
St. Michaels and Tilghman Island.. Maryland
"joeg" > wrote in message
> The Kinesis Airfoil is a great fork; does a terrific job of stabilizing
the
> front wheel (and therefore, the handling of the bike) if you're using deep
> rim aero wheels in crosswinds (the Spartacus rims on the bike are not
> particularly deep or aerodynamic, btw, but in theory one MIGHT put 60 mm
> rims on the bike - it's that kind of bike), but it ain't light. It's a
> boat anchor. It's a great example of Bacchetta doing a superb job of
> spec'ing the bike with effective components that aren't excessively
pricey.
> I replaced the fork because I'm a gearhead; if I still had the old fork
I'd
> put it back on to sell. I very much doubt that the fancy Reynolds fork
> adds any appreciable difference to my speed on any course. Or subtracts
> any, for that matter. The Kinesis Airfoil is the same fork that Quintana
> Roo used to put on their triathlon bikes, called the 'Carbonaero' - it was
> hot stuff in the late 90's. The Reynolds fork is more like 2001's hot
> fork - I'm not sure what this week's cool 650c aero fork is. I put the
> Reynolds fork on because I was very familiar with the product and liked
it,
> and I was (probably extremely foolishly) getting wieght-weenie-ish about
the
> bike.
>
> I think the stock Aero's are plenty light, and the upgrade to this fork is
> not going to make anyone's life that much (if any) better - but that's
> what's on the bike (I think Mr. Pinto has the same fork on his personal
> bike).
>

> "Jim Verheul" > wrote in message
> et...
> > ... which is a difference of 0.7253134 lb.
> > 1 1/2 lb is 680.3886 grams.
> >
> > http://www.joshmadison.com/software/convert/
> >
> > JV
> >

> > "Zach Kaplan Cycles" > wrote in message
> > om...

> > weighed
> pounds
> > >
> > > From my digital scale:
> > > Stock Kinesis carbon Aero fork: 723 grams
> > > Reynolds Ouzo Pro Aero fork : 394 grams
> > >
> > > Zach Kaplan

joeg
October 11th 03, 06:49 PM
With all due respect to Bacchetta, I think they selected this fork because
of its price-to-effectiveness-and-zoot-factor ratio. It's an excellent
choice, as I said. Probably even better than the Reynolds at maintaining
stability in crosswinds if you're riding a deep rim on the front (i.e. 50 mm
or greater). I think John Cobb proclaimed the Reynolds as the most 'aero'
fork, based on wind tunnel testing - I would guess that's some aggregation
of front-on and side drag figures. And the Reynolds is obviously a lot
lighter.

whatever - either fork is a good choice, and the Aero is less than 4K, which
is good strategy on Bacchetta's part.

"Jude T. McGloin" > wrote in message
> True the stock fork is a tad heavy, however as most know its the
> aerodynamic properties that Bacchetta selected this fork for.
> I run the HED disk/HED-3 combo on my AERO for flat to rolling
> terrain. I go to a lighter wheelset for hill climbing.
> Gearhead?..Since I own a candystore I can have the candy I
want...so
> can Zach.
> However, I have foun that dropping 18 lbs has done more for my
speed
> than anything I have done to the AERO thus far...Ta..Ta!
>
> --
> Jude....///Bacchetta AERO
> St. Michaels and Tilghman Island.. Maryland
> Wheel Doctor Cycle and Sports, Inc
> 1-800-586-6645
> "joeg" > wrote in message
> > The Kinesis Airfoil is a great fork; does a terrific job of stabilizing
> the
> > front wheel (and therefore, the handling of the bike) if you're using
deep
> > rim aero wheels in crosswinds (the Spartacus rims on the bike are not
> > particularly deep or aerodynamic, btw, but in theory one MIGHT put 60 mm
> > rims on the bike - it's that kind of bike), but it ain't light. It's a
> > boat anchor. It's a great example of Bacchetta doing a superb job of
> > spec'ing the bike with effective components that aren't excessively
> pricey.
> > I replaced the fork because I'm a gearhead; if I still had the old fork
> I'd
> > put it back on to sell. I very much doubt that the fancy Reynolds fork
> > adds any appreciable difference to my speed on any course. Or subtracts
> > any, for that matter. The Kinesis Airfoil is the same fork that
Quintana
> > Roo used to put on their triathlon bikes, called the 'Carbonaero' - it
was
> > hot stuff in the late 90's. The Reynolds fork is more like 2001's hot
> > fork - I'm not sure what this week's cool 650c aero fork is. I put the
> > Reynolds fork on because I was very familiar with the product and liked
> it,
> > and I was (probably extremely foolishly) getting wieght-weenie-ish about
> the
> > bike.
> >
> > I think the stock Aero's are plenty light, and the upgrade to this fork
is
> > not going to make anyone's life that much (if any) better - but that's
> > what's on the bike (I think Mr. Pinto has the same fork on his personal
> > bike).
> >

> > "Jim Verheul" > wrote in message
> > et...
> > > ... which is a difference of 0.7253134 lb.
> > > 1 1/2 lb is 680.3886 grams.
> > >
> > > http://www.joshmadison.com/software/convert/
> > >
> > > JV
> > >

> > > "Zach Kaplan Cycles" > wrote in message
> > > om...

> > > weighed
> > pounds

joeg
October 11th 03, 06:50 PM
Sold - thanks to all who responded.

"JoeG" > wrote in message
> $3000.00 OBO Please don't call with lowball offers - if you must
negotiate,
> please do it in good faith. This is Seattle area, and you pay the shipping
> or pickup, or I will deliver up to 200 miles from Seattle.
>
> email with questions or to make an offer
>
> Okay, now that we got that out of the way, it's just a normal Aero,
> purchased spring of this year. There's nothing wrong it, excellent
> condition. How many miles? ?? It's really hard to answer this question,
> because I have 6 bikes, but maybe a thousand or so?
>
> Why am I selling it? I have Stiletto fever. I've run out of room in the
> bikeroom - if I get another bike, one has to go. I tried selling the Fold
> Rush, no takers. It looks like the Aero is getting voted off the island.
>
> It has upgraded wheeset to the Spartacus Pro's (which are standard now,
but
> weren't when I bought it), and a Reynolds Ouzo Pro Aero fork, which
probably
> shaves 3/4 pound off the weight. It also has some rigged-up water bottle
> holders; these work with a slimmer bottle size (Elite Patao cages; Bajiji
> bottles) - I will include a pair of these bottles. If you like hydration
> bladders then you won't care about this.
>
> Dura/Ace barcons instead of twistgrip shifters. Otherwise, it's stock. I'm
> including a Radical Designs Solo bag, and the Lowrider panniers. These
last
> are REALLY cool - require no rack - they hook onto the M5 seat, weigh only
> 520 grams (!), and will hold 2x12.5 liters. See
> www.radicaldesign.nl/en/a...niers.html for a picture. The weight
> distribution's is awesome, and subjectively doesn't seem to slow me down
> much - I suspect this might vary with different size riders - I'm not huge
> by any means, but 200 lbs., and I might have a wider 'shadow' than some
> which probably shields part of the higher part of the panniers. Or maybe
> not.
>
> The Solo bag is at: www.radicaldesign.nl/en/a..._bags.html
>
> Don't ask me to quote the weight of the bike - just go weigh an Aero at
your
> dealer and subtract 3/4 lb. and you'll be close.
>
> Here's your chance to go fast, be cool, wow your friends. It's been proven
> that titanium bike owners live longer and are better lovers.

Tom Sherman
October 11th 03, 07:13 PM
joeg wrote:
> whatever - either fork is a good choice, and the Aero is less than 4K, which
> is good strategy on Bacchetta's part.

It is worth noting the ATP Vision dropped the price of the R-68 Saber to
match the price of the Bacchetta Aero.

Are the R-68 and Aero framesets produced by the same company?

Tom Sherman - Near the confluence of the Mississippi and Rock Rivers

Tom Sherman
October 11th 03, 08:41 PM
Mark Leuck wrote:

> You sure you don't mean R-65? I see no R-68 listed on Vision's page

In the 2003 Recumbent Directory published in RCN [1], the Vision R-68
Saber is listed as having a titanium frame, carbon fork and a price of
$3800 US. The information in the directory is provided to RCN by the
manufacturers, so one would assume that either the R-68 is temporarily
unavailable or dropped from ATP Vision's lineup.

[1] RCN #74 (March/April 2003, pp. 26-27)

Tom Sherman - Near the confluence of the Mississippi and Rock Rivers

Mark Leuck
October 11th 03, 09:24 PM
"Tom Sherman" > wrote in message

> joeg wrote:
> > whatever - either fork is a good choice, and the Aero is less than 4K,
which
> > is good strategy on Bacchetta's part.
>
> It is worth noting the ATP Vision dropped the price of the R-68 Saber to
> match the price of the Bacchetta Aero.
>
> Are the R-68 and Aero framesets produced by the same company?
>
> Tom Sherman - Near the confluence of the Mississippi and Rock Rivers

You sure you don't mean R-65? I see no R-68 listed on Vision's page

Cletus D. Lee
October 11th 03, 09:44 PM
In article >,
says...

> "Tom Sherman" > wrote in message
> >
> > joeg wrote:
> > > whatever - either fork is a good choice, and the Aero is less than 4K,
> which
> > > is good strategy on Bacchetta's part.
> >
> > It is worth noting the ATP Vision dropped the price of the R-68 Saber to
> > match the price of the Bacchetta Aero.
> >
> > Are the R-68 and Aero framesets produced by the same company?
> >
> > Tom Sherman - Near the confluence of the Mississippi and Rock Rivers
>
> You sure you don't mean R-65? I see no R-68 listed on Vision's page

Like he said, "(they) dropped the ... R-68 Saber"

--
Cletus D. Lee
Bacchetta Giro

Robert Siegel
October 11th 03, 11:31 PM
Vision took dealer orders for R-68's then advised the dealers they would not
make any "this year".

the R-64 and R-65 are good designs, but have lower level components,
compared to their competition. My hunch is Vision is in trouble.
Gator Bob Siegel
"Tom Sherman" > wrote in message

> Mark Leuck wrote:
> >
> > You sure you don't mean R-65? I see no R-68 listed on Vision's page
>
> In the 2003 Recumbent Directory published in RCN [1], the Vision R-68
> Saber is listed as having a titanium frame, carbon fork and a price of
> $3800 US. The information in the directory is provided to RCN by the
> manufacturers, so one would assume that either the R-68 is temporarily
> unavailable or dropped from ATP Vision's lineup.
>
> [1] RCN #74 (March/April 2003, pp. 26-27)
>
> Tom Sherman - Near the confluence of the Mississippi and Rock Rivers

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home