PDA

View Full Version : Giraffe bicycle :-)

Bod[_5_]
April 29th 15, 08:38 AM
c1900 Warwick Giraffe Youth’s Bicycle
Front wheel 26″
Rear Wheel 24″

"This is an odd machine. Giraffes bicycles are strange creatures anyway,
being a small and lightweight frame with bottom bracket mounted much
higher than was usual practice. This one is odder in that it was
presumably made some years after the original. So far, I only have the
age of the Sturmey Archer hub to go on (1912-1914), though it’s likely
that the gears were a later addition and that this machine was
manufactured around 1900. The cottered bottom bracket looks like it’s
from that period, and the handlebars look slightly earlier. The rear
wheel is 24″ and the front is 26″ which combination provides a
horizontal crossframe. As can be seen by comparing the original Giraffe
with this machine, the first version created a considerably taller
bicycle. This is most likely a youth’s bike."

http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/elswick_giraffe_011.jpg

--
Bod

Bod[_5_]
April 29th 15, 08:41 AM
On 29/04/2015 08:38, Bod wrote:

> c1900 Warwick Giraffe Youth’s Bicycle
> Front wheel 26″
> Rear Wheel 24″
>
> "This is an odd machine. Giraffes bicycles are strange creatures anyway,
> being a small and lightweight frame with bottom bracket mounted much
> higher than was usual practice. This one is odder in that it was
> presumably made some years after the original. So far, I only have the
> age of the Sturmey Archer hub to go on (1912-1914), though it’s likely
> that the gears were a later addition and that this machine was
> manufactured around 1900. The cottered bottom bracket looks like it’s
> from that period, and the handlebars look slightly earlier. The rear
> wheel is 24″ and the front is 26″ which combination provides a
> horizontal crossframe. As can be seen by comparing the original Giraffe
> with this machine, the first version created a considerably taller
> bicycle. This is most likely a youth’s bike."
>

> http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/elswick_giraffe_011.jpg

Here's another giraffe bicycle.

http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/starley_giraffe.jpg

You know you want one! A real mans bicycle, Medway Handyman :-)

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home