PDA

View Full Version : Florida Horrible Hundred

Jim C
October 15th 03, 04:03 AM
Anyone doing it this November? Interested in any experiences from previous
rides as we are thinking about this one.

--
Jim C

Kat9774
October 15th 03, 03:05 PM
We won't be riding this year, but have ridden it in the past. I'm not sure
where you're from, but by Florida standards it's Hilly and Horrible, both with
a capitol H. The rides take you up Sugarloaf Mountain, the second highest peak
in Florida and it is STEEP. You'll also climb "the wall" which in some
people's opinion is even worse than Sugarloaf. I did see several recumbents
climb Sugarloaf on Sunday, all of them made it, but several DF had to walk.
It is a well organized ride, plenty of support, well run operation.

Ted
October 15th 03, 06:55 PM
Where is this ride and what are the dates? Is there a web site?

Thanks

"Kat9774" > wrote in message
> We won't be riding this year, but have ridden it in the past. I'm not
sure
> where you're from, but by Florida standards it's Hilly and Horrible, both
with
> a capitol H. The rides take you up Sugarloaf Mountain, the second highest
peak
> in Florida and it is STEEP. You'll also climb "the wall" which in some
> people's opinion is even worse than Sugarloaf. I did see several
recumbents
> climb Sugarloaf on Sunday, all of them made it, but several DF had to
walk.
> It is a well organized ride, plenty of support, well run operation.

Larry Varney
October 15th 03, 10:57 PM
Ted wrote:
> Where is this ride and what are the dates? Is there a web site?
>
> Thanks

It's in Clermont, Florida - just to the west, and maybe a nudge
north, of Orlando. The ride is November 16th. I'll be there, and
hopefully I'll ride more than I did last year when I showed up. Then, it
was windy, rainy, and cooler than I like given those two previous
conditions. So, I wound up going to a movie theatre and taking in three
movies that day!
As for the website, I forget just what it is at the moment - a Google
search would turn it up - or you could go to
http://www.bentrideronline.com and look at my column this month - I
mention the ride and have a link to it.
--
Larry Varney
Cold Spring, KY

Bill
October 15th 03, 11:19 PM
Here is the link to the Florida Free Wheelers who run the Horrible Hundred.
http://www.floridafreewheelers.com/Portal/DesktopDefault.aspx

Regards,

bill

"Larry Varney" > wrote in message
> Ted wrote:
> > Where is this ride and what are the dates? Is there a web site?
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> It's in Clermont, Florida - just to the west, and maybe a nudge
> north, of Orlando. The ride is November 16th. I'll be there, and
> hopefully I'll ride more than I did last year when I showed up. Then, it
> was windy, rainy, and cooler than I like given those two previous
> conditions. So, I wound up going to a movie theatre and taking in three
> movies that day!
> As for the website, I forget just what it is at the moment - a Google
> search would turn it up - or you could go to
> http://www.bentrideronline.com and look at my column this month - I
> mention the ride and have a link to it.
> --
> Larry Varney
> Cold Spring, KY
> http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

John Foltz
October 16th 03, 02:46 AM
(Kat9774) wrote in message >...
> We won't be riding this year, but have ridden it in the past. I'm not sure
> where you're from, but by Florida standards it's Hilly and Horrible, both with
> a capitol H.

Could you quantify that a little? What kinds of grades/vertical feet
are these climbs?

Tom Sherman
October 16th 03, 02:50 AM
Larry Varney wrote:

> It's in Clermont, Florida - just to the west, and maybe a nudge
> north, of Orlando. The ride is November 16th. I'll be there, and
> hopefully I'll ride more than I did last year when I showed up. Then, it
> was windy, rainy, and cooler than I like given those two previous
> conditions. So, I wound up going to a movie theatre and taking in three
> movies that day!...

Did they let you sit on your trike in one of the aisles?

Tom Sherman - Near the confluence of the Mississippi and Rock Rivers

Kat9774
October 16th 03, 12:30 PM
>Could you quantify that a little? What kinds of grades/vertical feet
>are these climbs?

Not really, I'm not that technical. My descriptions of climbs are based on
other hills I have ridden. There is a 10 miles loop that is never flat, you're
either going up or down hill. In that 10 miles there are 5 climbs and 4-5
rollers. Each of the climbs go up ~300-400'. Sugarloaf is the steepest and
highest, IIRC it is 432' in 7/10 of a mile.

If someone knows the actual % grade of Sugarloaf and The Wall, I too would like
to know.

Ted
October 16th 03, 01:09 PM
Come on. It is Florida. How tough CAN it be?
Here is a Tough ride:
http://radar.ngcsu.edu/~aroush/sixgapcentury.html

"John Foltz" > wrote in message
om...
> (Kat9774) wrote in message
> > We won't be riding this year, but have ridden it in the past. I'm not
sure
> > where you're from, but by Florida standards it's Hilly and Horrible,
both with
> > a capitol H.
> >
> Could you quantify that a little? What kinds of grades/vertical feet
> are these climbs?

Kat9774
October 16th 03, 03:56 PM
>Come on. It is Florida. How tough CAN it be?
>Here is a Tough ride:
>http://radar.ngcsu.edu/~aroush/sixgapcentury.html

You're right, it isn't nearly as bad as 6 gap. That's a really rough ride. If
you are used to riding those kinds of hills, this one will be no problem.
But I believe I started by saying, "for Florida". And I'll stand by that, it
may well be the toughest ride south of the panhandle. I know it's worse than
the hills north of Tampa in Pasco County. BTW, the Hilly Hundred will be held
there this month.
http://www.tbfreewheelers.com/events/hilly03.htm

Larry Varney
October 16th 03, 05:16 PM
Kat9774 wrote:
>>Come on. It is Florida. How tough CAN it be?
>>Here is a Tough ride:
>>http://radar.ngcsu.edu/~aroush/sixgapcentury.html
>

> You're right, it isn't nearly as bad as 6 gap. That's a really rough ride. If
> you are used to riding those kinds of hills, this one will be no problem.
> But I believe I started by saying, "for Florida". And I'll stand by that, it
> may well be the toughest ride south of the panhandle. I know it's worse than
> the hills north of Tampa in Pasco County. BTW, the Hilly Hundred will be held
> there this month.
> http://www.tbfreewheelers.com/events/hilly03.htm

Well, THE Hilly Hundred will be held in Ellettsville, Indiana this
coming weekend:

http://www.hillyhundred.org . It's going to be a bit chilly, but the
colors - at least those that didn't blow down in the wind the other day
- should be gorgeous.

--
Larry Varney
Cold Spring, KY
http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

John Foltz
October 16th 03, 09:14 PM
"Ted" > wrote in message >...
> Come on. It is Florida. How tough CAN it be?
> Here is a Tough ride:
> http://radar.ngcsu.edu/~aroush/sixgapcentury.html
>
> "John Foltz" > wrote in message
> om...
>
> > Could you quantify that a little? What kinds of grades/vertical feet
> > are these climbs?

Well, we all know of some ride that, to us, sets the standard of what
constitutes "Tough." But that doesn't necessarily make lesser rides
cakewalks, it just means they're not *as* tough. I was just trying to
determine where on the scale this one was. In that respect, your post
was completely unenlightening.

Kat9774
October 16th 03, 11:11 PM
> Well, THE Hilly Hundred will be held in Ellettsville, Indiana this
>coming weekend:

That should be a beautiful ride this time of year. I lived near there (Paoli)
as a child and remember the scenery very well. But I can't handle that cold
any longer.
A couple of years ago I rode the Safari Bicycle Tour out of southern Indiana
(Pekin, maybe?), but that was a nice warm summer day.

Larry Varney
October 17th 03, 03:05 AM
Kat9774 wrote:
>> Well, THE Hilly Hundred will be held in Ellettsville, Indiana this
>>coming weekend:
>

> That should be a beautiful ride this time of year. I lived near there (Paoli)
> as a child and remember the scenery very well. But I can't handle that cold
> any longer.
> A couple of years ago I rode the Safari Bicycle Tour out of southern Indiana
> (Pekin, maybe?), but that was a nice warm summer day.

Good memory! Yes, the Safari Bicycle Tour (not to be confused with
the Florida Bicycle Safari) is based in Pekin. And the colors are nice,
and the temperatures will be a bit low this weekend for those of us
camping. Probably close to freezing. But the daytime highs are supposed
to get near 60, so as long as it's dry, it'll be great.
All things considered, I'd almost rather be biking in Florida this
weekend. But come the 9th and the 16th, I'll be there for a couple of
centuries!

--
Larry Varney
Cold Spring, KY
http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

Larry Varney
October 17th 03, 04:43 AM
Mike Rice wrote:
> On 16 Oct 2003 22:11:43 GMT, (Kat9774) wrote:
>

>>> Well, THE Hilly Hundred will be held in Ellettsville, Indiana this
>>>coming weekend:
>>
>>That should be a beautiful ride this time of year. I lived near there (Paoli)
>>as a child and remember the scenery very well. But I can't handle that cold
>>any longer.
>

> This weekend looks pretty nice for Indiama this time of year. Partly
> sunny Saturday and Sunday, high/low Saturday 62/46 and Sunday 69/50.
> Doesn't get a whole lot better!
>
> I'm still thinking of going. I've been on my Tour Easy 3 weeks now,
> and am riding anywhere from 10 to 40 miles most days. I'll be horribly
> slow on the hills.
>
> Mike Rice, about two hours north of Elletsville.

Yeah, but the weather report for Friday night is 36. Saturday and
Sunday seem to be better than earlier predictions, thankfully - it's
going to be chilly enough camping!
Don't worry about being slow on the hills - quite a few people will
be walking them anyway, and it's a good chance to stretch the muscles,
take in the scenery, etc. - it's not a race, it's a tour, right?

--
Larry Varney
Cold Spring, KY
http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

John W
October 17th 03, 02:58 PM
If you really want to test your climbing ability here are three rides you
may want to look into for 2004. They offer from 12,000' to 16,000' of
climbing. If you go to the websites they will give you a good idea of what
the rides are like.
http://www.cyclingpros.com/onyx.htm
http://www.deathride.com/

http://www.srcc.com/tt.html

John

"John Foltz" > wrote in message
om...
> "Ted" > wrote in message
> > Come on. It is Florida. How tough CAN it be?
> > Here is a Tough ride:
> > http://radar.ngcsu.edu/~aroush/sixgapcentury.html
> >
> > "John Foltz" > wrote in message
> > om...
> >
> > > Could you quantify that a little? What kinds of grades/vertical feet
> > > are these climbs?
>
> Well, we all know of some ride that, to us, sets the standard of what
> constitutes "Tough." But that doesn't necessarily make lesser rides
> cakewalks, it just means they're not *as* tough. I was just trying to
> determine where on the scale this one was. In that respect, your post
> was completely unenlightening.

Ted
October 17th 03, 07:26 PM
Those are indeed wicked rides. I don't think I will be doing them.
I'm too old to put myself through that much pain!
Just goes to show you, there are always tougher rides out there.

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 08:58:00 -0500, "John W" >
wrote:

>If you really want to test your climbing ability here are three rides you
>may want to look into for 2004. They offer from 12,000' to 16,000' of
>climbing. If you go to the websites they will give you a good idea of what
>the rides are like.
> http://www.cyclingpros.com/onyx.htm
> http://www.deathride.com/
>
> http://www.srcc.com/tt.html
>
>John
>

>"John Foltz" > wrote in message
om...
>> "Ted" > wrote in message
>> > Come on. It is Florida. How tough CAN it be?
>> > Here is a Tough ride:
>> > http://radar.ngcsu.edu/~aroush/sixgapcentury.html
>> >
>> > "John Foltz" > wrote in message
>> > om...

>> Well, we all know of some ride that, to us, sets the standard of what
>> constitutes "Tough." But that doesn't necessarily make lesser rides
>> cakewalks, it just means they're not *as* tough. I was just trying to
>> determine where on the scale this one was. In that respect, your post
>> was completely unenlightening.

John Foltz
October 17th 03, 08:15 PM
(Kat9774) wrote in message >...
> >Could you quantify that a little? What kinds of grades/vertical feet
> >are these climbs?
>
> Not really, I'm not that technical. My descriptions of climbs are based on
> other hills I have ridden. There is a 10 miles loop that is never flat, you're
> either going up or down hill. In that 10 miles there are 5 climbs and 4-5
> rollers. Each of the climbs go up ~300-400'. Sugarloaf is the steepest and
> highest, IIRC it is 432' in 7/10 of a mile.

Thanks, Kat. 432 feet in 7/10 mile is 11% grade. Definitely something
to make you notice it, and enough to put many down on the granny ring
(or worse.) Considering that 11% number is an average over 0.7 mile,
there is probably a section or two that's steeper, too.

If those hills were grafted onto Hilly Hundred, the Indiana version,
I'm sure they'd fit right in.

Kat9774
October 18th 03, 02:24 AM
> 432 feet in 7/10 mile is 11% grade. Definitely something
>to make you notice it, and enough to put many down on the granny ring

Thanks for the conversion! I always wondered how the grade compared to some of
the TdF mountains. But they climb them for miles and miles!

>(or worse.) Considering that 11% number is an average over 0.7 mile,
>there is probably a section or two that's steeper, too.

About 2/3 of the way up after you're already tired, it kicks up for a short
section. It's so steep if you're standing at the top you loose sight of the
riders, but often you can hear them coming. The first time I didn't understand
until he got closer and I realized it was his breathing.

iLiad
October 18th 03, 03:29 AM
When you live in florida, and all you ride on is flats, then this really is
horrible ;-)
I came here from Tennessee and it is a recumbent riders dream!

"John W" > wrote in message
> If you really want to test your climbing ability here are three rides you
> may want to look into for 2004. They offer from 12,000' to 16,000' of
> climbing. If you go to the websites they will give you a good idea of what
> the rides are like.
> http://www.cyclingpros.com/onyx.htm
> http://www.deathride.com/
>
> http://www.srcc.com/tt.html
>
> John
>

> "John Foltz" > wrote in message
> om...
> > "Ted" > wrote in message
> > > Come on. It is Florida. How tough CAN it be?
> > > Here is a Tough ride:
> > > http://radar.ngcsu.edu/~aroush/sixgapcentury.html
> > >
> > > "John Foltz" > wrote in message
> > > om...

> > Well, we all know of some ride that, to us, sets the standard of what
> > constitutes "Tough." But that doesn't necessarily make lesser rides
> > cakewalks, it just means they're not *as* tough. I was just trying to
> > determine where on the scale this one was. In that respect, your post
> > was completely unenlightening.

RCPINTO
October 22nd 03, 06:36 PM

>Not really, I'm not that technical. My descriptions of climbs are based on
>other hills I have ridden. There is a 10 miles loop that is never flat,
>you're
>either going up or down hill. In that 10 miles there are 5 climbs and 4-5
>rollers. Each of the climbs go up ~300-400'. Sugarloaf is the steepest and
>highest, IIRC it is 432' in 7/10 of a mile.
>
>If someone knows the actual % grade of Sugarloaf and The Wall, I too would
>like
>to know.

Hi Guys

I'm not sure if this is applicable, but....http://www.2fla.com/facts.htm

This says the lowest point is the Atlantic ocean at 0 feet, and the
highest elevation in the state is 345 feet.

Rich

RCPINTO
October 22nd 03, 06:36 PM

>Not really, I'm not that technical. My descriptions of climbs are based on
>other hills I have ridden. There is a 10 miles loop that is never flat,
>you're
>either going up or down hill. In that 10 miles there are 5 climbs and 4-5
>rollers. Each of the climbs go up ~300-400'. Sugarloaf is the steepest and
>highest, IIRC it is 432' in 7/10 of a mile.
>
>If someone knows the actual % grade of Sugarloaf and The Wall, I too would
>like
>to know.

Hi Guys

I'm not sure if this is applicable, but....http://www.2fla.com/facts.htm

This says the lowest point is the Atlantic ocean at 0 feet, and the
highest elevation in the state is 345 feet.

Rich

Willie & Gail
October 23rd 03, 01:21 AM
Kat9774 wrote:

> >Could you quantify that a little? What kinds of grades/vertical feet
> >are these climbs?
>
> Not really, I'm not that technical. My descriptions of climbs are based on
> other hills I have ridden. There is a 10 miles loop that is never flat, you're
> either going up or down hill. In that 10 miles there are 5 climbs and 4-5
> rollers. Each of the climbs go up ~300-400'. Sugarloaf is the steepest and
> highest, IIRC it is 432' in 7/10 of a mile.
>
> If someone knows the actual % grade of Sugarloaf and The Wall, I too would like
> to know.

Willie & Gail
October 23rd 03, 01:21 AM
Kat9774 wrote:

> >Could you quantify that a little? What kinds of grades/vertical feet
> >are these climbs?
>
> Not really, I'm not that technical. My descriptions of climbs are based on
> other hills I have ridden. There is a 10 miles loop that is never flat, you're
> either going up or down hill. In that 10 miles there are 5 climbs and 4-5
> rollers. Each of the climbs go up ~300-400'. Sugarloaf is the steepest and
> highest, IIRC it is 432' in 7/10 of a mile.
>
> If someone knows the actual % grade of Sugarloaf and The Wall, I too would like
> to know.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home