PDA

View Full Version : Weightweenieness

Mikael Seierup
October 16th 03, 04:01 PM
Just did the math on my VK1 -> VK2 frameswap.

If I splurge for a new fork with carbonsteerer while I'm there
I will save... wait for it... 730 grammes! Yay!
(If the weight of 2300 g for the VK2 frame is correct.)

Also by switching to an offset fork with a caliper brake
there should be ~250 grammes to loose.
(Drumbrakehub 760 g. Shimano 105 hub and caliper: 501 g.)

So 11-11.5 kg should be within reach. Go me!

Then theres small stuff like swapping my toolcollection
for a compact multitool. Lightened the load a bit.
Stelvios instead of S-Licks maybe if durability and comfort
is not compromised too much. I like riding the odd gravelroad.

Mikael

L.A.
October 16th 03, 05:37 PM
or different wheelsets.
Lon

Cletus Lee wrote:

> In article >, says...
> > Then theres small stuff like swapping my toolcollection
> > for a compact multitool. Lightened the load a bit.
> > Stelvios instead of S-Licks maybe if durability and comfort
> > is not compromised too much. I like riding the odd gravelroad.
> >

> I don't like riding the 'odd gravelroad'. I don't know if tire weight has anything to do with
> it or having a larger ground patch, but I can see a speed difference on my Voyager when shod
> with Stelvios vs. S-Licks. Not much mind you but perhaps 1.0 kph average in 75-80 km. This is
> a speed penalty I am willing to pay if very much of my regular routine involves the 'odd
> gravelroad'.
>
> Of course those fortunate to have two bikes can opt for different tires/bike for different
> trips.
>
> And different tool kits. My tool kit for touring is very different than the one I carry on my
> daily commute about town,
>
> --
>
> Cletus D. Lee
> Bacchetta Giro
> Lightning Voyager
> http://www.clee.org
> - Bellaire, TX USA -

Jeff Wills
October 17th 03, 08:54 PM
"Mikael Seierup" > wrote in message >...

> If I freak totally I still got the TE-clone set up with a wide lo-pres front and a knobby rear
> I used at the hillclimb in Sweden. Should serve me well come winter.

Mikeal-

If your clone is built like a standard Tour Easy, it should accomodate
some really fat tires. Last weekend I was riding with a friend who
has a 700 x 47 rear tire and a 20 x 2.0 front tire. It served him
well on the ride- 15 miles of rough gravel road followed by 30 miles
of pavement.

FWIW: I was riding my suspended mountain bike. Cushy, but my butt was
sore by the end of the day.

Jeff

Mikael Seierup
October 17th 03, 09:10 PM
"Jeff Wills" skrev

> If your clone is built like a standard Tour Easy, it should accomodate
> some really fat tires. Last weekend I was riding with a friend who
> has a 700 x 47 rear tire and a 20 x 2.0 front tire. It served him
> well on the ride- 15 miles of rough gravel road followed by 30 miles
> of pavement.

26 x 1.95 very knobby rear and 20 x 1.75 front.
So wide I can't use first gear or mount a kickstand actually.
http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/briangoebbels
(recumbents folder) or
http://www.liggister.org/grusloppet/
for a pic or two of me whupping the swedes in the hillclimb ;) )

Mikael

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home