PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn tire remover thingy

Don
October 16th 03, 09:53 PM
Hi, A few weeks ago one of the threads had mention of a good tool to
remove stubborn tires. I wrote it down and then promptly lost the
paper.

It was not the Crank Brothers Speed Lever. I have one and it works
great on cooperative tires but is too wimpy for really tough jobs. I
think the tool recommended was more like something Tim Taylor would
use. It was also not very common.

So, I would appreciate the name again and really appreciate where to
buy it. Thanks, Don

MLB
October 16th 03, 10:19 PM
(Don) wrote in news:bf9a2acd.0310161253.71960f14
@posting.google.com:

> Hi, A few weeks ago one of the threads had mention of a good tool to
> remove stubborn tires. I wrote it down and then promptly lost the
> paper.
>
> It was not the Crank Brothers Speed Lever. I have one and it works
> great on cooperative tires but is too wimpy for really tough jobs. I
> think the tool recommended was more like something Tim Taylor would
> use. It was also not very common.
>
> So, I would appreciate the name again and really appreciate where to
> buy it. Thanks, Don

Shwalbe makes a really neat looking plastic iron that I just saw on their
website. Blunt on the end so you won't poke your tube when installing. Saw
it on their website.
(how come they don't list 20" Stelvio's?)

harv
October 17th 03, 12:14 AM
I think what you're thinking of is a tire putting on thing. Just use three
regular tire irons (1), or tire plastics to get the bead unseated then use
the Crank Bros tool to zip the tire off.

1. I have had the damn things break so I carry three or four and the Crank
Bros tool in my seat bag. Try to find polycarbonate or ABS levers. The
polyethylene (milk bottle plastic) aren't worth crap.

"MLB" > wrote in message
. 97.136...
> (Don) wrote in news:bf9a2acd.0310161253.71960f14
> @posting.google.com:
>
> > Hi, A few weeks ago one of the threads had mention of a good tool to
> > remove stubborn tires. I wrote it down and then promptly lost the
> > paper.
> >
> > It was not the Crank Brothers Speed Lever. I have one and it works
> > great on cooperative tires but is too wimpy for really tough jobs. I
> > think the tool recommended was more like something Tim Taylor would
> > use. It was also not very common.
> >
> > So, I would appreciate the name again and really appreciate where to
> > buy it. Thanks, Don
> >

> Shwalbe makes a really neat looking plastic iron that I just saw on their
> website. Blunt on the end so you won't poke your tube when installing. Saw
> it on their website.
> (how come they don't list 20" Stelvio's?)

rorschandt
October 17th 03, 11:52 AM
I have had the pleasure of watching this in action, http://tinyurl.com/r9q6
, called a Kool Stop Tire Jack
Haven't tried it myself.
rorschandt

--
May all beings be happy.
May they be joyous and live in safety.

Don
October 17th 03, 04:47 PM
rorschandt, Thanks, we have a winner. The Kool Stop Tire Jack was
what I was trying to remember. And as an added bonus you gave a link
for a really Kool on-line bike tool retail store. I had never heard
of Bike Tools Etc.

While we are on the topic of tire levers, I want to warn riders not to
buy the blue Park levers that come in a three pack. I have never used
more poorly designed levers. The blunt end is too blunt and shaped
wrong. Hard to get it between the bead and rim and then it slips out.
How can you get a tire iron wrong? Park did.

I also have a Speed Stick that is not worth a darn. It is the fat,
single round stick with a grip on one end and a way toooooo fat end
that is supposed to fit between bead and rim----NOT. I can not find
mine at the moment to see if there is a brand on it. It is in Park
blue so I suspect them again.

In continued Park bashing, I have one of their older chain cleaners
that works very poorly. I wish someone at Park actually rode a bike
and worked on it occasionally.

The best tire levers I have are Specialized. They come in a snap
together trio. The levers are flat and wavy (side to side). Meaning
to say they are kind of "C" shaped in one plane and "S" shaped in the
other. The have some ribs for grip. Anyway, they are the best. I
have not been able to find them in a long time. If I could, I would
buy more sets so each of my rides could have them and then throw out
all my other levers. Don

rorschandt > wrote in message 2>...
> I have had the pleasure of watching this in action, http://tinyurl.com/r9q6
> , called a Kool Stop Tire Jack
> Haven't tried it myself.
> rorschandt

rorschandt
October 17th 03, 05:07 PM
(Don) wrote in
om:

> rorschandt, Thanks, we have a winner. The Kool Stop Tire Jack was
> what I was trying to remember. And as an added bonus you gave a link
> for a really Kool on-line bike tool retail store. I had never heard
> of Bike Tools Etc.

I actually have yet to purchase from them. caveat emptor.Usually the LBS
has it at the same price (or close) and doesn't charge shipping.

> While we are on the topic of tire levers, I want to warn riders not to
> buy the blue Park levers that come in a three pack. I have never used
> more poorly designed levers. The blunt end is too blunt and shaped
> wrong. Hard to get it between the bead and rim and then it slips out.
> How can you get a tire iron wrong? Park did.

Park makes lots of good stuff, likely they specified the wrong plastic or
there was a bad batch,etc. Could be they just suck, I haven't used them.

> I also have a Speed Stick that is not worth a darn. It is the fat,
> single round stick with a grip on one end and a way toooooo fat end
> that is supposed to fit between bead and rim----NOT. I can not find
> mine at the moment to see if there is a brand on it. It is in Park
> blue so I suspect them again.

I have one and it is not made by Park. I found it laying in the street. I
like it. Use with another lever to get the bead up, shove the stick in and
zing, the tire is off! When I worked in bike shops, it was one of the
coolest things invented if you changed ten or twenty tubes a day. Saves
wear and tear on the thumbs.

> In continued Park bashing, I have one of their older chain cleaners
> that works very poorly. I wish someone at Park actually rode a bike
> and worked on it occasionally.

I have a Park Chain tool from the '70s, that is like a big pair of pliers.
Pops links apart in no time, none of that "twist the little crank until the
pin bends or jumps onto the chain plate" crap.

> The best tire levers I have are Specialized. They come in a snap
> together trio. The levers are flat and wavy (side to side). Meaning
> to say they are kind of "C" shaped in one plane and "S" shaped in the
> other. The have some ribs for grip. Anyway, they are the best. I
> have not been able to find them in a long time. If I could, I would
> buy more sets so each of my rides could have them and then throw out
> all my other levers. Don

Here you go: http://tinyurl.com/rb0z

happy trails,

Gary Mc
October 17th 03, 06:19 PM
Terry bikes has one:

http://www.terrybicycles.com/BPA/7400000.lasso

But the best advice that I got on the subject was from Mark Stonich
here or on the trike list. I am not sure that I can repeat it with
the same clarity. The trick with a stubborn tire is to get the bead
of one side of the tire down into the deepest part of the U shape of
the cross section of the wheel before trying to remove or replace it
on the opposite side. The diameter of the tire is narrowest there.
Once you get one side into that low point, work (pull) the tire around
both ways to the opposite side. That will free up enough play to more
easily remove it or replace it on the rim.

I bought the tool and then never used it. I have used the advice
repeatedly.

Gary McCarty, Greenspeed GTO, Salt Lake City

(Don) wrote in message >...
> Hi, A few weeks ago one of the threads had mention of a good tool to
> remove stubborn tires. I wrote it down and then promptly lost the
> paper.
>
> It was not the Crank Brothers Speed Lever. I have one and it works
> great on cooperative tires but is too wimpy for really tough jobs. I
> think the tool recommended was more like something Tim Taylor would
> use. It was also not very common.
>
> So, I would appreciate the name again and really appreciate where to
> buy it. Thanks, Don

Don
October 18th 03, 12:30 AM
> (Don) wrote in
> om:
> > >
> > I also have a Speed Stick that is not worth a darn. It is the fat,
> > single round stick with a grip on one end and a way toooooo fat end
> > that is supposed to fit between bead and rim----NOT. I can not find
> > mine at the moment to see if there is a brand on it. It is in Park
> > blue so I suspect them again.

rorschandt > wrote in message 2>...

I have one and it is not made by Park. I found it laying in the
street. I
> like it. Use with another lever to get the bead up, shove the stick in and
> zing, the tire is off! When I worked in bike shops, it was one of the
> coolest things invented if you changed ten or twenty tubes a day. Saves
> wear and tear on the thumbs.

rorschandt, LOL---I found my Speed Stick in the street also. I
thought it was my lucky day and felt bad for the poor soul that lost
it (probably from a jersey pocket). After I tried using it, I just
figured they threw it away :) Maybe is works great if you carry a real
tire lever with you but I am sure Speed Stick advertised it as "the
only tool you will ever need to change a tire".

John W
October 20th 03, 02:19 PM
I use the Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack. It's the only tool I have found that I can install the Schwalbe Stelvio foldable 26 x 1 tire on my Velocity Razor rim.

I always carry it with me in case of a flat knowing I would not be able to get the tire back on the rim without it.

Here's the link. http://koolstop.com/brakes/accessories.html

John

"Don" > wrote in message om...
> Hi, A few weeks ago one of the threads had mention of a good tool to
> remove stubborn tires. I wrote it down and then promptly lost the
> paper.
>
> It was not the Crank Brothers Speed Lever. I have one and it works
> great on cooperative tires but is too wimpy for really tough jobs. I
> think the tool recommended was more like something Tim Taylor would
> use. It was also not very common.
>
> So, I would appreciate the name again and really appreciate where to
> buy it. Thanks, Don

Paul Minnis
October 20th 03, 08:58 PM
I bought the Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack at Cambie Cycles while visiting
Vancouver. What a great tool; it makes getting Vredenstein S-Licks on
the rim an "easy" task. I always carry it with me. paul

"John W" > wrote in message >...
> I use the Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack. It's the only tool I have found that
> I can install the Schwalbe Stelvio foldable 26 x 1 tire on my Velocity
> Razor rim.
>
> I always carry it with me in case of a flat knowing I would not be able
> to get the tire back on the rim without it.
>
> Here's the link. http://koolstop.com/brakes/accessories.html
>
> John
>

> "Don" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Hi, A few weeks ago one of the threads had mention of a good tool to
> > remove stubborn tires. I wrote it down and then promptly lost the
> > paper.
> >
> > It was not the Crank Brothers Speed Lever. I have one and it works
> > great on cooperative tires but is too wimpy for really tough jobs. I
> > think the tool recommended was more like something Tim Taylor would
> > use. It was also not very common.
> >
> > So, I would appreciate the name again and really appreciate where to
> > buy it. Thanks, Don
>
> --

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home