PDA

View Full Version : Cycling makes you fit ?

MrCheerful
June 26th 15, 08:18 AM
http://www.s****horpetelegraph.co.uk/Man-heart-attack-40-miles-133-mile-charity-bike/story-26760610-detail/story.html

RJH[_2_]
June 26th 15, 08:45 AM
On 26/06/2015 08:18, Mrcheerful wrote:
> http://www.s****horpetelegraph.co.uk/Man-heart-attack-40-miles-133-mile-charity-bike/story-26760610-detail/story.html

Amazing - and he went on to cycle 90+ miles *after* a heart attack!

--
Cheers, Rob

Ronnie[_2_]
June 26th 15, 09:25 AM
On 26/06/2015 08:18, Mrcheerful wrote:
> http://www.s****horpetelegraph.co.uk/Man-heart-attack-40-miles-133-mile-charity-bike/story-26760610-detail/story.html

Nearly every year some marathon runners have heart attacks, a few
footballers die on the pitch every year.
What is your point?

Mr Pounder Esquire
June 26th 15, 09:38 AM
"Ronnie" > wrote in message
> On 26/06/2015 08:18, Mrcheerful wrote:
>> http://www.s****horpetelegraph.co.uk/Man-heart-attack-40-miles-133-mile-charity-bike/story-26760610-detail/story.html
>>
> Nearly every year some marathon runners have heart attacks, a few
> footballers die on the pitch every year.
> What is your point?

His family has a history of heart problems so this dick decides to do a 133
mile cycle race without being checked out.
Darwin ............

MrCheerful
June 26th 15, 10:35 AM
On 26/06/2015 08:45, RJH wrote:
> On 26/06/2015 08:18, Mrcheerful wrote:
>> http://www.s****horpetelegraph.co.uk/Man-heart-attack-40-miles-133-mile-charity-bike/story-26760610-detail/story.html
>>

> Amazing - and he went on to cycle 90+ miles *after* a heart attack!

The drugs kept him going?

MrCheerful
June 26th 15, 10:38 AM
On 26/06/2015 09:25, Ronnie wrote:
> On 26/06/2015 08:18, Mrcheerful wrote:
>> http://www.s****horpetelegraph.co.uk/Man-heart-attack-40-miles-133-mile-charity-bike/story-26760610-detail/story.html
>>

> Nearly every year some marathon runners have heart attacks, a few
> footballers die on the pitch every year.
> What is your point?

We are constantly told that cycling is the only form of exercise and
that regular cyclists are very fit. Evidently that does not include the
heart, hardly surprising when you look at the riding position: hunched
shoulders, bent forward, shest compressed. All a very unnatural
position for a moving human.

Peter Keller[_3_]
June 26th 15, 10:52 AM
On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 10:38:20 +0100, Mrcheerful wrote:

> We are constantly told that cycling is the only form of exercise

No we are not. At least I am not.

Ronnie[_2_]
June 26th 15, 11:37 AM
On 26/06/2015 10:38, Mrcheerful wrote:
> On 26/06/2015 09:25, Ronnie wrote:
>> On 26/06/2015 08:18, Mrcheerful wrote:
>>> http://www.s****horpetelegraph.co.uk/Man-heart-attack-40-miles-133-mile-charity-bike/story-26760610-detail/story.html
>>>

>> Nearly every year some marathon runners have heart attacks, a few
>> footballers die on the pitch every year.
>> What is your point?
>
> We are constantly told that cycling is the only form of exercise and
> that regular cyclists are very fit. Evidently that does not include the
> heart, hardly surprising when you look at the riding position: hunched
> shoulders, bent forward, shest compressed. All a very unnatural
> position for a moving human.

Er, that's only cyclists on racing bikes. I use a mountain bike with
full suspension, a much more natural position. I would never have a
racing bike, most uncomfortable to me.

Nick[_4_]
June 26th 15, 12:01 PM
On 26/06/2015 09:38, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

> His family has a history of heart problems so this dick decides to do a 133
> mile cycle race without being checked out.
> Darwin ............

I'm curious how does one get checked out? Do I go to my GP. I've always
found them very reluctant to just check people out.

Mr Pounder Esquire
June 26th 15, 12:12 PM
"Nick" > wrote in message
> On 26/06/2015 09:38, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
>
>> His family has a history of heart problems so this dick decides to do a
>> 133
>> mile cycle race without being checked out.
>> Darwin ............
>>

> I'm curious how does one get checked out? Do I go to my GP. I've always
> found them very reluctant to just check people out.

The wife's family have a history of heart problems. They have all been
examined, dunno where though.
I should not have used the words "checked out" - yank term.

MrCheerful
June 26th 15, 12:13 PM
On 26/06/2015 12:01, Nick wrote:
> On 26/06/2015 09:38, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
>
>> His family has a history of heart problems so this dick decides to do
>> a 133
>> mile cycle race without being checked out.
>> Darwin ............
>>

> I'm curious how does one get checked out? Do I go to my GP. I've always
> found them very reluctant to just check people out.

depends on age, family history etc.

Rob Morley
June 26th 15, 04:41 PM
On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 08:18:03 +0100
Mrcheerful > wrote:

> http://www.s****horpetelegraph.co.uk/Man-heart-attack-40-miles-133-mile-charity-bike/story-26760610-detail/story.html

Quite likely his heart attack would have happened sooner or been more
severe if he hadn't been a fit cyclist, and his recovery from surgery
would be slower. I expect his doctors will encourage him to get back on
the bike.
Jim Fixx, who popularised running as a fitness sport in the USA with
his 1977 book "The Complete Book of Running" famously died at the age of
55, while jogging. Genetic factors and his previous lifestyle (before
he started running he was obese and smoked heavily) likely played a
major part in his undiagnosed heart disease, and it's quite possible
that had he not started serious exercise at age 35 he may have had at
least as short a life, and probably of lower quality. So you can't
conclude that running isn't good exercise, or that people with a
genetic predisposition to illness shouldn't exercise. A general problem
with running however is that repetitive impact is hard on the joints -
swimming and cycling are lower impact, so often a better choice for
general exercise. Swimming requires a pool or other body of water,
cycling only requires somewhere to ride a bike. So cycling is an easily
accessible cardio workout for many people. It's also utility
transport, and more interesting than doing lengths.

Rob Morley
June 26th 15, 04:43 PM
On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 08:45:41 +0100
RJH > wrote:

> On 26/06/2015 08:18, Mrcheerful wrote:
> > http://www.s****horpetelegraph.co.uk/Man-heart-attack-40-miles-133-mile-charity-bike/story-26760610-detail/story.html
> >

> Amazing - and he went on to cycle 90+ miles *after* a heart attack!

It was just a bit of chest ache that slowed him down a bit. :-)

Mr Pounder Esquire
June 26th 15, 05:48 PM
"Mr Pounder Esquire" > wrote in message

> "Nick" > wrote in message
>> On 26/06/2015 09:38, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
>>
>>> His family has a history of heart problems so this dick decides to do a
>>> 133
>>> mile cycle race without being checked out.
>>> Darwin ............
>>>

>> I'm curious how does one get checked out? Do I go to my GP. I've always
>> found them very reluctant to just check people out.
>
> The wife's family have a history of heart problems. They have all been
> examined, dunno where though.
> I should not have used the words "checked out" - yank term.
Seems that they were .......... checked out at Blackpool Victoria Hospital.
They all live/lived in the Blackpool area.

Nick[_4_]
June 27th 15, 10:19 AM
On 26/06/2015 17:48, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
> "Mr Pounder Esquire" > wrote in message

>>> I'm curious how does one get checked out? Do I go to my GP. I've always
>>> found them very reluctant to just check people out.
>>
>> The wife's family have a history of heart problems. They have all been
>> examined, dunno where though.
>> I should not have used the words "checked out" - yank term.
> Seems that they were .......... checked out at Blackpool Victoria Hospital.
> They all live/lived in the Blackpool area.

Yep, I'm high risk, its why I cycle, cycling to work is the easiest way
to do cardio and it's less boring than swimming or a Gym.

However despite consequently being on two medications for nearly 20
years I get no checks apart from blood pressure and yearly blood test.

RJH[_2_]
June 27th 15, 12:23 PM
On 26/06/2015 10:38, Mrcheerful wrote:
> On 26/06/2015 09:25, Ronnie wrote:
>> On 26/06/2015 08:18, Mrcheerful wrote:
>>> http://www.s****horpetelegraph.co.uk/Man-heart-attack-40-miles-133-mile-charity-bike/story-26760610-detail/story.html
>>>

>> Nearly every year some marathon runners have heart attacks, a few
>> footballers die on the pitch every year.
>> What is your point?
>
> We are constantly told that cycling is the only form of exercise and
> that regular cyclists are very fit. Evidently that does not include the
> heart, hardly surprising when you look at the riding position: hunched
> shoulders, bent forward, shest compressed. All a very unnatural
> position for a moving human.

Cycling can be quite aerobic, and 'good' for cardiovascular exercise.
Depends how you do it.

Apparently a problem is starting to arise from the 'lycra crowd'
relating to joints. Something about the lack of impact around the things
like knees and ankles. On the other hand, this is becoming apparent
because they're living longer.

(source - something I heard on R4 recently)
--
Cheers, Rob

Bret Cahill
June 28th 15, 06:03 PM
> > http://www.s****horpetelegraph.co.uk/Man-heart-attack-40-miles-133-mile-charity-bike/story-26760610-detail/story.html
> >

> Amazing - and he went on to cycle 90+ miles *after* a heart attack!

The answer to the question in the header is obviously, "yes."

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home