PDA

View Full Version : So what about...

jnugent
July 8th 15, 10:34 PM
....the Road Fund being re-constituted?

Will the usual suspects continue to insist that there is no such thing
as Road Tax (which was never abolished, even if the Road Fund was)?

Paul Cummins[_7_]
July 8th 15, 10:49 PM
In article >,
(JNugent) wrote:

> Will the usual suspects continue to insist that there is no such
> thing as Road Tax

Yes, in the same way as there is no Luxury Tax, TV Tax or
Parking/Speeding tax.

> which was never abolished,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23694438

I for one am very glad to hear that vehicles that do the most damage will
pay for the repair of that damage.

My car will pay £140 a year, my motorbike will pay less than £50, and my
pushbike, which does no damage, will pay nothing.

And the roads will still not be "owned" by the motorist because "I pay
Road Tax"

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

David Lang
July 9th 15, 12:14 AM
On 08/07/2015 22:49, Paul Cummins wrote:
> In article >,
> (JNugent) wrote:
>
>> Will the usual suspects continue to insist that there is no such
>> thing as Road Tax
>
> Yes, in the same way as there is no Luxury Tax, TV Tax or
> Parking/Speeding tax.
>
>> which was never abolished,
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23694438
>
> I for one am very glad to hear that vehicles that do the most damage will
> pay for the repair of that damage.
>
> My car will pay £140 a year, my motorbike will pay less than £50, and my
> pushbike, which does no damage, will pay nothing.

But cyclists cause endless damage. They delay motorists by their
pathetically low speeds, causing vehicles to emit more emissions, their
cycle lanes and silly advanced boxes do the same.

> And the roads will still not be "owned" by the motorist because "I pay
> Road Tax"

The usual reply from a guilt ridden cyclist, desperate to convince
himself that he isn't a sponging freeloader.

Motorists pay £46 billion a year in specific extra taxes.

Tosspot[_3_]
July 9th 15, 06:20 AM
On 08/07/15 23:49, Paul Cummins wrote:
> In article >,
> (JNugent) wrote:
>
>> Will the usual suspects continue to insist that there is no such
>> thing as Road Tax
>
> Yes, in the same way as there is no Luxury Tax, TV Tax or
> Parking/Speeding tax.
>
>> which was never abolished,
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23694438
>
> I for one am very glad to hear that vehicles that do the most damage will
> pay for the repair of that damage.
>
> My car will pay £140 a year, my motorbike will pay less than £50, and my
> pushbike, which does no damage, will pay nothing.
>
> And the roads will still not be "owned" by the motorist because "I pay
> Road Tax"

And the local roads, which are mainly used by cyclists, are financed by
the LAs.

Bung it all on fuel and forget it. It's a pollution tax if anything at
all these days.

David Lang
July 9th 15, 08:15 AM
On 09/07/2015 06:20, Tosspot wrote:
> On 08/07/15 23:49, Paul Cummins wrote:
>> In article >,
>> (JNugent) wrote:
>>
>>> Will the usual suspects continue to insist that there is no such
>>> thing as Road Tax
>>
>> Yes, in the same way as there is no Luxury Tax, TV Tax or
>> Parking/Speeding tax.
>>
>>> which was never abolished,
>>
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23694438
>>
>> I for one am very glad to hear that vehicles that do the most damage will
>> pay for the repair of that damage.
>>
>> My car will pay £140 a year, my motorbike will pay less than £50, and my
>> pushbike, which does no damage, will pay nothing.
>>
>> And the roads will still not be "owned" by the motorist because "I pay
>> Road Tax"
>
> And the local roads, which are mainly used by cyclists, are financed by
> the LAs.
>
> Bung it all on fuel and forget it. It's a pollution tax if anything at
> all these days.

Motorists already pay £46 billion a year in specific extra taxes. Less
than £10 billion is spent on roads.

Paul Cummins[_7_]
July 9th 15, 08:34 AM
In article >,
(David Lang) wrote:

> The usual reply from a guilt ridden cyclist, desperate to convince
> himself that he isn't a sponging freeloader.

The usual bull**** from David Lang who yet again demonstrates his
inability to read plain English.

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981
Please Help us dispose of unwanted virtual currency:
Bitcoin: 1LzAJBqzoaEudhsZ14W7YrdYSmLZ5m1seZ

Alycidon
July 9th 15, 08:41 AM
On Wednesday, 8 July 2015 22:49:50 UTC+1, Paul Cummins wrote:

> I for one am very glad to hear that vehicles that do the most damage will
> pay for the repair of that damage.
>
> My car will pay £140 a year, my motorbike will pay less than £50, and my
> pushbike, which does no damage, will pay nothing.
>
> And the roads will still not be "owned" by the motorist because "I pay
> Road Tax"

The problem was that 7 out of 10 new vehicles are now VED exempt which amounted to tax evasion due to the last Labour government allowing low polluting cars to avoid this duty. This tax black hole had to be filled.

If it was down to road damage caused by cars, there would be no VED exempt category which there still will be for zero polluters. Also, what is the deal about cars costing over £40k paying £450 a year? Do they causes extra damage?

Paul Cummins[_7_]
July 9th 15, 09:04 AM
In article >,
(Alycidon) wrote:

> If it was down to road damage caused by cars,

Did I say "road damage" ?

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981
Please Help us dispose of unwanted virtual currency:
Bitcoin: 1LzAJBqzoaEudhsZ14W7YrdYSmLZ5m1seZ

Tony Dragon
July 9th 15, 09:49 AM
On 09/07/2015 06:20, Tosspot wrote:
> On 08/07/15 23:49, Paul Cummins wrote:
>> In article >,
>> (JNugent) wrote:
>>
>>> Will the usual suspects continue to insist that there is no such
>>> thing as Road Tax
>>
>> Yes, in the same way as there is no Luxury Tax, TV Tax or
>> Parking/Speeding tax.
>>
>>> which was never abolished,
>>
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23694438
>>
>> I for one am very glad to hear that vehicles that do the most damage will
>> pay for the repair of that damage.
>>
>> My car will pay £140 a year, my motorbike will pay less than £50, and my
>> pushbike, which does no damage, will pay nothing.
>>
>> And the roads will still not be "owned" by the motorist because "I pay
>> Road Tax"
>
> And the local roads, which are mainly used by cyclists, are financed by
> the LAs.

And the LA also get funding from central government, who get their
funding from the taxpayer.

> Bung it all on fuel and forget it. It's a pollution tax if anything at
> all these days.

---

David Lang
July 9th 15, 04:53 PM
On 09/07/2015 08:34, Paul Cummins wrote:
> In article >,
> (David Lang) wrote:
>
>> The usual reply from a guilt ridden cyclist, desperate to convince
>> himself that he isn't a sponging freeloader.
>>

> The usual bull**** from David Lang who yet again demonstrates his
> inability to read plain English.

I can read plain English perfectly well. Your attempts at it don't make
any sense however.

Sponging freeloader.

Tosspot[_3_]
July 9th 15, 07:53 PM

Thank **** for that. I'm a taxpayer.

>> Bung it all on fuel and forget it. It's a pollution tax if anything at
>> all these days.

jnugent
July 9th 15, 08:01 PM
On 09/07/2015 08:41, Alycidon wrote:

> On Wednesday, 8 July 2015 22:49:50 UTC+1, Paul Cummins wrote:
>
>> I for one am very glad to hear that vehicles that do the most damage will
>> pay for the repair of that damage.
>
>> My car will pay £140 a year, my motorbike will pay less than £50, and my
>> pushbike, which does no damage, will pay nothing.
>
>> And the roads will still not be "owned" by the motorist because "I pay
>> Road Tax"

> The problem was that 7 out of 10 new vehicles are now VED exempt which amounted to tax evasion due to the last Labour government allowing low polluting cars to avoid this duty. This tax black hole had to be filled.

> If it was down to road damage caused by cars, there would be no VED exempt category which there still will be for zero polluters. Also, what is the deal about cars costing over £40k paying £450 a year? Do they causes extra damage?

I have NEVER been in favour of graduated Road Tax.

It should be - as it was for fifty years - a uniform flat rate tax for
each class of vehicle (more for lorries, buses, etc, obviously).

And now, for card registered after a certain date in the
near-to-medium-term future, it will be.

But I'll still continue to pay £20 a year on the car I bought last year.

And at last, the deniers will have the rug pulled out from under their
feet: it is Road Tax (always was) and it will be going into a Road Fund.

Alycidon
July 9th 15, 08:20 PM
On Thursday, 9 July 2015 09:04:19 UTC+1, Paul Cummins wrote:
> In article >,
> (Alycidon) wrote:
>
> > If it was down to road damage caused by cars,
>
> Did I say "road damage" ?

Apparently so.

"I for one am very glad to hear that vehicles that do the most damage will
pay for the repair of that damage."

If the new VED arrangement is to fund a pot for some road repairs (putting new build to one side), then why does a zero emission car attract no duty? Surely, it will weigh more than a small petrol car due to the batteries?

Seems a half baked set of criteria to me.

Paul Cummins[_7_]
July 9th 15, 09:03 PM
In article >,
(Alycidon) wrote:

> "I for one am very glad to hear that vehicles that do the most
> damage will pay for the repair of that damage."

I can't see the word "road" in that sentence. Can you show me where it is
please?

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981
Please Help us dispose of unwanted virtual currency:
Bitcoin: 1LzAJBqzoaEudhsZ14W7YrdYSmLZ5m1seZ

Alycidon
July 9th 15, 09:22 PM
On Thursday, 9 July 2015 21:03:34 UTC+1, Paul Cummins wrote:
> In article >,
> (Alycidon) wrote:
>
> > "I for one am very glad to hear that vehicles that do the most
> > damage will pay for the repair of that damage."
>
> I can't see the word "road" in that sentence. Can you show me where it is
> please?

OK, so you don't mean road damage, so perhaps you mean the environment? In that case, if you mean pollution then charging an identical VED sum of £140 for every (sub £40K) car whether it emits 1g or >255g of CO2km-1 seems equally ludicrous.

Mr Pounder Esquire
July 9th 15, 09:57 PM
"Tosspot" > wrote in message
> On 09/07/15 10:49, Tony Dragon wrote:

>>> And the local roads, which are mainly used by cyclists, are financed by
>>> the LAs.
>>>

>> And the LA also get funding from central government, who get their
>> funding from the taxpayer.
>
> Thank **** for that. I'm a taxpayer.
>
>>> Bung it all on fuel and forget it. It's a pollution tax if anything at
>>> all these days.

**** off back to the moderated group and spout your ****.

Mr Pounder Esquire
July 9th 15, 10:09 PM
"Paul Cummins" > wrote in message
k...
> In article >,
> (Alycidon) wrote:
>
>> "I for one am very glad to hear that vehicles that do the most
>> damage will pay for the repair of that damage."
>
> I can't see the word "road" in that sentence. Can you show me where it is
> please?
>
> --
> Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead

Hmmmmmmm
You have always been a very unpleasant and a smelly dickhead.
Should anybody here wish to take a look at this poster, go to
uk.radio.amateur. Or Goggle this ****. History is not his friend.

Paul Cummins[_7_]
July 9th 15, 10:20 PM
In article >,
(Mr Pounder Esquire) wrote:

> You have always been a very unpleasant and a smelly dickhead.
> Should anybody here wish to take a look at this poster, go to
> uk.radio.amateur.

Is that really the best you can do? Brian would be proud of you...

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981
Please Help us dispose of unwanted virtual currency:
Bitcoin: 1LzAJBqzoaEudhsZ14W7YrdYSmLZ5m1seZ

Kerr Mudd-John
July 10th 15, 10:16 AM
On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 21:57:00 +0100, Mr Pounder Esquire
> wrote:

> "Tosspot" > wrote in message

>>> And the LA also get funding from central government, who get their
>>> funding from the taxpayer.
>>
>> Thank **** for that. I'm a taxpayer.

> **** off back to the moderated group and spout your ****.

rational?