PDA

View Full Version : Cyclists in Paris can now jump red lights – should the UK follow suit?

Bod[_5_]
July 10th 15, 08:11 AM
The eternal war between cyclists and motorists moved into a new stage
today as it was announced cyclists in Paris will be able to run red lights.

Tests showed that the move will not cause more accidents, leading to
some junctions having a second set of traffic lights added only for
cyclists.

These lights will sometimes be green when the car traffic lights are
red, allowing cyclists to move off while motorists remain stationary.

It is hoped the move will reduce congestions and encourage more people
to travel by bicycle.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/07/09/cyclists-in-paris-can-now-jump-red-lights-should-the-uk-follow-suit-5287697/
--
Bod

MrCheerful
July 10th 15, 08:25 AM
On 10/07/2015 08:11, Bod wrote:
> The eternal war between cyclists and motorists moved into a new stage
> today as it was announced cyclists in Paris will be able to run red lights.

No they won't, they will have their own lights, which may be green when
other traffic is stopped at a red. UK cyclists ignore the lights
anyway, so here it would be no help, just more confusion, road furniture
and massive cost, all with no measurable benefit.

Bod[_5_]
July 10th 15, 09:34 AM
On 10/07/2015 08:25, Mrcheerful wrote:
> On 10/07/2015 08:11, Bod wrote:
>> The eternal war between cyclists and motorists moved into a new stage
>> today as it was announced cyclists in Paris will be able to run red
>> lights.
>>

> No they won't, they will have their own lights, which may be green when
> other traffic is stopped at a red. UK cyclists ignore the lights
> anyway, so here it would be no help, just more confusion, road furniture
> and massive cost, all with no measurable benefit.

Mr Cheerless, I reckon you must get an erection every time you get to
moan about cyclists.

Peter Keller[_3_]
July 10th 15, 09:44 AM
On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 08:25:32 +0100, Mrcheerful wrote:

> On 10/07/2015 08:11, Bod wrote:
>> The eternal war between cyclists and motorists moved into a new stage
>> today as it was announced cyclists in Paris will be able to run red
>> lights.
>>

> No they won't, they will have their own lights, which may be green when
> other traffic is stopped at a red. UK cyclists ignore the lights
> anyway, so here it would be no help, just more confusion, road furniture
> and massive cost, all with no measurable benefit.

In Paris I was under the impression that *everyone* ignores red lights.
The most they might do is slow down, look, then continue if it is
"safe".
Wait ...
Perhaps that might lead to fewer accidents than blindly forcing everyone
to rigidly obey the lights.

Peter Keller[_3_]
July 10th 15, 09:45 AM
On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 09:34:30 +0100, Bod wrote:

> On 10/07/2015 08:25, Mrcheerful wrote:
>> On 10/07/2015 08:11, Bod wrote:
>>> The eternal war between cyclists and motorists moved into a new stage
>>> today as it was announced cyclists in Paris will be able to run red
>>> lights.
>>>

>> No they won't, they will have their own lights, which may be green when
>> other traffic is stopped at a red. UK cyclists ignore the lights
>> anyway, so here it would be no help, just more confusion, road
>> furniture and massive cost, all with no measurable benefit.
>>
> Mr Cheerless, I reckon you must get an erection every time you get to
> moan about cyclists.

Careful --

A constant erection can lead to complications --

MrCheerful
July 10th 15, 10:42 AM
On 10/07/2015 09:34, Bod wrote:
> On 10/07/2015 08:25, Mrcheerful wrote:
>> On 10/07/2015 08:11, Bod wrote:
>>> The eternal war between cyclists and motorists moved into a new stage
>>> today as it was announced cyclists in Paris will be able to run red
>>> lights.
>>>

>> No they won't, they will have their own lights, which may be green when
>> other traffic is stopped at a red. UK cyclists ignore the lights
>> anyway, so here it would be no help, just more confusion, road furniture
>> and massive cost, all with no measurable benefit.
>>
> Mr Cheerless, I reckon you must get an erection every time you get to
> moan about cyclists.

No comment from you about my points, just an attempt at offensive
comments directed toward me, typical cyclist, just shout abuse without
any thought as to what the point is. You must be so proud.

Bod[_5_]
July 10th 15, 10:52 AM
On 10/07/2015 10:42, Mrcheerful wrote:
> On 10/07/2015 09:34, Bod wrote:
>>>>

>>> No they won't, they will have their own lights, which may be green when
>>> other traffic is stopped at a red. UK cyclists ignore the lights
>>> anyway, so here it would be no help, just more confusion, road furniture
>>> and massive cost, all with no measurable benefit.
>>>
>> Mr Cheerless, I reckon you must get an erection every time you get to
>> moan about cyclists.
>
> No comment from you about my points, just an attempt at offensive
> comments directed toward me, typical cyclist, just shout abuse without
> any thought as to what the point is. You must be so proud.

As expected, you didn't get the joke. Did you choose your nym of Mr
Cheerful for ironic reasons? :-)
Since when has having erections been offensive?

MrCheerful
July 10th 15, 12:13 PM
On 10/07/2015 10:52, Bod wrote:
> On 10/07/2015 10:42, Mrcheerful wrote:

>>> Mr Cheerless, I reckon you must get an erection every time you get to
>>> moan about cyclists.
>>
>> No comment from you about my points, just an attempt at offensive
>> comments directed toward me, typical cyclist, just shout abuse without
>> any thought as to what the point is. You must be so proud.
> >
> As expected, you didn't get the joke. Did you choose your nym of Mr
> Cheerful for ironic reasons? :-)
> Since when has having erections been offensive?

I saw no joke. I saw a weak attempt at being offensive with no cause,
other than your own warped mind.

My screen-name was given to me by a customer whose fortune I foretold.
I liked it and many years later resurrected it for newsgroup use

Suggesting that someone else gets erections for weird non-sex reasons is
offensive.

I do not say to you eg: Do you fart every time you swing your leg over'
being polite, I always try to be.

Bod[_5_]
July 10th 15, 12:40 PM
On 10/07/2015 12:13, Mrcheerful wrote:
> On 10/07/2015 10:52, Bod wrote:

>>> No comment from you about my points, just an attempt at offensive
>>> comments directed toward me, typical cyclist, just shout abuse without
>>> any thought as to what the point is. You must be so proud.
>> >
>> As expected, you didn't get the joke. Did you choose your nym of Mr
>> Cheerful for ironic reasons? :-)
>> Since when has having erections been offensive?
>
> I saw no joke. I saw a weak attempt at being offensive with no cause,
> other than your own warped mind.
>
> My screen-name was given to me by a customer whose fortune I foretold. I
> liked it and many years later resurrected it for newsgroup use
>
> Suggesting that someone else gets erections for weird non-sex reasons is
> offensive.
>
> I do not say to you eg: Do you fart every time you swing your leg over'
> being polite, I always try to be.

Oh dear, I'll have to assume that you are humourless, Mr Cheerless.
I even added a smiley at the end.
Try to be less edgy, it might make your life a bit happier :-)

Tarcap
July 10th 15, 01:49 PM
"Bod" wrote in message ...

On 10/07/2015 12:13, Mrcheerful wrote:
> On 10/07/2015 10:52, Bod wrote:

>>> No comment from you about my points, just an attempt at offensive
>>> comments directed toward me, typical cyclist, just shout abuse without
>>> any thought as to what the point is. You must be so proud.
>> >
>> As expected, you didn't get the joke. Did you choose your nym of Mr
>> Cheerful for ironic reasons? :-)
>> Since when has having erections been offensive?
>
> I saw no joke. I saw a weak attempt at being offensive with no cause,
> other than your own warped mind.
>
> My screen-name was given to me by a customer whose fortune I foretold. I
> liked it and many years later resurrected it for newsgroup use
>
> Suggesting that someone else gets erections for weird non-sex reasons is
> offensive.
>
> I do not say to you eg: Do you fart every time you swing your leg over'
> being polite, I always try to be.

Oh dear, I'll have to assume that you are humourless, Mr Cheerless.
I even added a smiley at the end.
Try to be less edgy, it might make your life a bit happier :-)

Typical psycholist. When called to task for being insulting, he compounds
the situation by adding other insults. I suppose that's only what we should
expect.

Bod[_5_]
July 10th 15, 01:57 PM
On 10/07/2015 13:49, Tarcap wrote:

> "Bod" wrote in message ...
>
> On 10/07/2015 12:13, Mrcheerful wrote:

>>> As expected, you didn't get the joke. Did you choose your nym of Mr
>>> Cheerful for ironic reasons? :-)
>>> Since when has having erections been offensive?
>>
>> I saw no joke. I saw a weak attempt at being offensive with no cause,
>> other than your own warped mind.
>>
>> My screen-name was given to me by a customer whose fortune I foretold. I
>> liked it and many years later resurrected it for newsgroup use
>>
>> Suggesting that someone else gets erections for weird non-sex reasons is
>> offensive.
>>
>> I do not say to you eg: Do you fart every time you swing your leg over'
>> being polite, I always try to be.
>>

> Oh dear, I'll have to assume that you are humourless, Mr Cheerless.
> I even added a smiley at the end.
> Try to be less edgy, it might make your life a bit happier :-)
>
> Typical psycholist. When called to task for being insulting, he
> compounds the situation by adding other insults. I suppose that's only
> what we should expect.

Lol. You're similar to Mr Cheerless. You never contribute anything
positive, you have absolutely no interest in cycling. ALL of your
replies are derogatory. Try to get a life, Sir.

MrCheerful
July 10th 15, 02:20 PM
On 10/07/2015 12:40, Bod wrote:
> On 10/07/2015 12:13, Mrcheerful wrote:

>>> As expected, you didn't get the joke. Did you choose your nym of Mr
>>> Cheerful for ironic reasons? :-)
>>> Since when has having erections been offensive?
>>
>> I saw no joke. I saw a weak attempt at being offensive with no cause,
>> other than your own warped mind.
>>
>> My screen-name was given to me by a customer whose fortune I foretold. I
>> liked it and many years later resurrected it for newsgroup use
>>
>> Suggesting that someone else gets erections for weird non-sex reasons is
>> offensive.
>>
>> I do not say to you eg: Do you fart every time you swing your leg over'
>> being polite, I always try to be.
> >

> Oh dear, I'll have to assume that you are humourless, Mr Cheerless.
> I even added a smiley at the end.
> Try to be less edgy, it might make your life a bit happier :-)

You have still not explained the 'joke' What was it exactly? There was
no smiley after your offensive suggestion.

Bod[_5_]
July 10th 15, 02:25 PM
On 10/07/2015 14:20, Mrcheerful wrote:
> On 10/07/2015 12:40, Bod wrote:

>>> I saw no joke. I saw a weak attempt at being offensive with no cause,
>>> other than your own warped mind.
>>>
>>> My screen-name was given to me by a customer whose fortune I foretold. I
>>> liked it and many years later resurrected it for newsgroup use
>>>
>>> Suggesting that someone else gets erections for weird non-sex reasons is
>>> offensive.
>>>
>>> I do not say to you eg: Do you fart every time you swing your leg over'
>>> being polite, I always try to be.
>> >

>> Oh dear, I'll have to assume that you are humourless, Mr Cheerless.
>> I even added a smiley at the end.
>> Try to be less edgy, it might make your life a bit happier :-)
>
> You have still not explained the 'joke' What was it exactly? There was
> no smiley after your offensive suggestion.

I was correct, you *are* humourless.

MrCheerful
July 10th 15, 02:34 PM
On 10/07/2015 14:25, Bod wrote:
> On 10/07/2015 14:20, Mrcheerful wrote:

>>> Oh dear, I'll have to assume that you are humourless, Mr Cheerless.
>>> I even added a smiley at the end.
>>> Try to be less edgy, it might make your life a bit happier :-)
>>
>> You have still not explained the 'joke' What was it exactly? There was
>> no smiley after your offensive suggestion.
> >
> I was correct, you *are* humourless.

and you cannot answer a simple question, what does that make you?

Tony Dragon
July 10th 15, 11:30 PM
On 10/07/2015 08:11, Bod wrote:
> The eternal war between cyclists and motorists moved into a new stage
> today as it was announced cyclists in Paris will be able to run red lights.
>
> Tests showed that the move will not cause more accidents, leading to
> some junctions having a second set of traffic lights added only for
> cyclists.
>
> These lights will sometimes be green when the car traffic lights are
> red, allowing cyclists to move off while motorists remain stationary.
>
> It is hoped the move will reduce congestions and encourage more people
> to travel by bicycle.
>
> http://metro.co.uk/2015/07/09/cyclists-in-paris-can-now-jump-red-lights-should-the-uk-follow-suit-5287697/

None of these ideas consider pedestrians.

---

Judith[_4_]
July 11th 15, 11:27 PM
On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 08:11:55 +0100, Bod > wrote:

>The eternal war between cyclists and motorists moved into a new stage
>today as it was announced cyclists in Paris will be able to run red lights.

But they are allowed to do that in England already - aren't they?

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home