PDA

View Full Version : Cycling is the way forward in Crewe

Bod[_5_]
July 11th 15, 06:59 AM
CC Cycles founder Ben Wye says cycling can help your finances, your
health and the town's congestion problems.

http://www.crewechronicle.co.uk/news/cycling-way-forward-crewe-7746731
--
Bod

Tarcap
July 11th 15, 06:30 PM
"Bod" wrote in message ...

CC Cycles founder Ben Wye says cycling can help your finances, your
health and the town's congestion problems.

http://www.crewechronicle.co.uk/news/cycling-way-forward-crewe-7746731
--
Bod

So here we have the founder of a cycle shop admitting:

........“A bus pass is £30. If you’re working on bare minimum wages four days
a week – four days on four days off – a bus pass isn’t worth it because you’re
not going to get the value and there’s no buses anyway going to Primebake,
certainly not at night, so they have to have a bike.

“For me, I think bikes are lovely and it’s a bit of a rich person’s thing,
but now I’ve understood that people don’t necessarily want to cycle, they
just have to cycle.”

Not quite the picture the psycholists on here try to paint, is it?

Mr Pounder Esquire
July 11th 15, 06:37 PM
"Tarcap" > wrote in message

> "Bod" wrote in message ...
>
> CC Cycles founder Ben Wye says cycling can help your finances, your
> health and the town's congestion problems.
>
> http://www.crewechronicle.co.uk/news/cycling-way-forward-crewe-7746731
> --
> Bod
>
> So here we have the founder of a cycle shop admitting:
>
> ......."A bus pass is 30. If you're working on bare minimum wages four
> days a week - four days on four days off - a bus pass isn't worth it
> because you're not going to get the value and there's no buses anyway
> going to Primebake, certainly not at night, so they have to have a bike.
>
> "For me, I think bikes are lovely and it's a bit of a rich person's thing,
> but now I've understood that people don't necessarily want to cycle, they
> just have to cycle."
>
> Not quite the picture the psycholists on here try to paint, is it?

I would replace "picture" with "********".

Alycidon
July 11th 15, 06:42 PM
On Saturday, 11 July 2015 18:30:36 UTC+1, Tarcap wrote:
> "Bod" wrote in message ...
>
> CC Cycles founder Ben Wye says cycling can help your finances, your
> health and the town's congestion problems.
>
> http://www.crewechronicle.co.uk/news/cycling-way-forward-crewe-7746731
> --
> Bod
>
> So here we have the founder of a cycle shop admitting:
>
> ......."A bus pass is 30. If you're working on bare minimum wages four days
> a week - four days on four days off - a bus pass isn't worth it because you're
> not going to get the value and there's no buses anyway going to Primebake,
> certainly not at night, so they have to have a bike.
>
> "For me, I think bikes are lovely and it's a bit of a rich person's thing,
> but now I've understood that people don't necessarily want to cycle, they
> just have to cycle."

So how many people actually *want* to spend hours on the M6 every day? Or stuck in London traffic going nowhere? Or even on the bus or tube?

Not many judging by the "nightmare" commute sob stories on Twitter et el.

Tarcap
July 11th 15, 07:01 PM
"Alycidon" wrote in message

On Saturday, 11 July 2015 18:30:36 UTC+1, Tarcap wrote:
> "Bod" wrote in message ...
>
> CC Cycles founder Ben Wye says cycling can help your finances, your
> health and the town's congestion problems.
>
> http://www.crewechronicle.co.uk/news/cycling-way-forward-crewe-7746731
> --
> Bod
>
> So here we have the founder of a cycle shop admitting:
>
> ......."A bus pass is 30. If you're working on bare minimum wages four
> days
> a week - four days on four days off - a bus pass isn't worth it because
> you're
> not going to get the value and there's no buses anyway going to Primebake,
> certainly not at night, so they have to have a bike.
>
> "For me, I think bikes are lovely and it's a bit of a rich person's thing,
> but now I've understood that people don't necessarily want to cycle, they
> just have to cycle."

So how many people actually *want* to spend hours on the M6 every day?

They don't, but it's still the most viable means of transport, or they would
use an alternative, wouldn't they?
I suppose you would ride your bike along the M6, then?

Or stuck in London traffic going nowhere? Or even on the bus or tube?
Going nowhere? They would still be there if they went nowhere, wouldn't
they?

Not many judging by the "nightmare" commute sob stories on Twitter et el.
Why do they still do it, then? Probably because it's the most viable form of
transport.

Alycidon
July 11th 15, 07:10 PM
On Saturday, 11 July 2015 19:01:34 UTC+1, Tarcap wrote:
> "Alycidon" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, 11 July 2015 18:30:36 UTC+1, Tarcap wrote:
> > "Bod" wrote in message ...
> >
> > CC Cycles founder Ben Wye says cycling can help your finances, your
> > health and the town's congestion problems.
> >
> > http://www.crewechronicle.co.uk/news/cycling-way-forward-crewe-7746731
> > --
> > Bod
> >
> > So here we have the founder of a cycle shop admitting:
> >
> > ......."A bus pass is 30. If you're working on bare minimum wages four
> > days
> > a week - four days on four days off - a bus pass isn't worth it because
> > you're
> > not going to get the value and there's no buses anyway going to Primebake,
> > certainly not at night, so they have to have a bike.
> >
> > "For me, I think bikes are lovely and it's a bit of a rich person's thing,
> > but now I've understood that people don't necessarily want to cycle, they
> > just have to cycle."
>
> So how many people actually *want* to spend hours on the M6 every day?
>
> They don't, but it's still the most viable means of transport, or they would
> use an alternative, wouldn't they?
> I suppose you would ride your bike along the M6, then?

Stupid question.
Would you drive your car along the west coast main line?

> Or stuck in London traffic going nowhere? Or even on the bus or tube?
> Going nowhere? They would still be there if they went nowhere, wouldn't
> they?

If they average 9mph then they must spend a lot of time doing exactly that.

> Not many judging by the "nightmare" commute sob stories on Twitter et el.
> Why do they still do it, then? Probably because it's the most viable form of
> transport.

No - they don't know any better, that's all. I managed to cycle all year round for 15 years clocking up 105000 miles. It was 100% viable, unlike my car.

Mr Pounder Esquire
July 11th 15, 07:14 PM
"Alycidon" > wrote in message
On Saturday, 11 July 2015 18:30:36 UTC+1, Tarcap wrote:
> "Bod" wrote in message ...
>
> CC Cycles founder Ben Wye says cycling can help your finances, your
> health and the town's congestion problems.
>
> http://www.crewechronicle.co.uk/news/cycling-way-forward-crewe-7746731
> --
> Bod
>
> So here we have the founder of a cycle shop admitting:
>
> ......."A bus pass is 30. If you're working on bare minimum wages four
> days
> a week - four days on four days off - a bus pass isn't worth it because
> you're
> not going to get the value and there's no buses anyway going to Primebake,
> certainly not at night, so they have to have a bike.
>
> "For me, I think bikes are lovely and it's a bit of a rich person's thing,
> but now I've understood that people don't necessarily want to cycle, they
> just have to cycle."

So how many people actually *want* to spend hours on the M6 every day? Or
stuck in London traffic going nowhere? Or even on the bus or tube?

How many tool boxes did you carry on your pedal bike when you went to work?

Not many judging by the "nightmare" commute sob stories on Twitter et el.

I don't do Twitter et el.

Alycidon
July 11th 15, 07:29 PM
On Saturday, 11 July 2015 19:14:33 UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

> So how many people actually *want* to spend hours on the M6 every day? Or
> stuck in London traffic going nowhere? Or even on the bus or tube?
>
> How many tool boxes did you carry on your pedal bike when you went to work?

One toolkit, one i-pod, one sandwich, one wallet, one pump, four lights, one pair of Sennheiser IE80's and a drink's bottle.

> Not many judging by the "nightmare" commute sob stories on Twitter et el.
>
> I don't do Twitter et el.

Me neither - it makes the 'papers though.

Mr Pounder Esquire
July 11th 15, 07:38 PM
"Alycidon" > wrote in message
> On Saturday, 11 July 2015 19:14:33 UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
>
>> So how many people actually *want* to spend hours on the M6 every day? Or
>> stuck in London traffic going nowhere? Or even on the bus or tube?
>>
>> How many tool boxes did you carry on your pedal bike when you went to
>> work?
>
> One toolkit, one i-pod, one sandwich, one wallet, one pump, four lights,
> one pair of Sennheiser IE80's and a drink's bottle.

Just as I thought.

>> Not many judging by the "nightmare" commute sob stories on Twitter et el.
>>
>> I don't do Twitter et el.
>
> Me neither - it makes the 'papers though.

Not the papers that I read it don't.

Peter Keller[_3_]
July 12th 15, 09:33 AM
On Sat, 11 Jul 2015 19:14:32 +0100, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

> I don't do Twitter et el.

Nor I.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home