PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of cycling

Bod[_5_]
July 11th 15, 07:09 AM
"Cycling is the third most popular recreational activity in the UK. An
estimated 3.1 million people ride a bicycle each month."

"Regular cycling can help you lose weight, reduce stress and improve
your fitness. As well as information on the health benefits"

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/fitness/Pages/Cycling.aspx

--
Bod

David Lang
July 11th 15, 08:32 AM
On 11/07/2015 07:09, Bod wrote:
> "Cycling is the third most popular recreational activity in the UK. An
> estimated 3.1 million people ride a bicycle each month."

But cycling only accounts for less than 1% of passenger miles.

Alycidon
July 11th 15, 09:15 AM
On Saturday, 11 July 2015 07:09:08 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
> "Cycling is the third most popular recreational activity in the UK. An
> estimated 3.1 million people ride a bicycle each month."

Not just for recreation though.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/boris-bike-use-at-twice-normal-level-as-londoners-seek-to-avoid-the-tube-strike-10378279.html

Bod[_5_]
July 11th 15, 09:48 AM
On 11/07/2015 09:15, Alycidon wrote:
> On Saturday, 11 July 2015 07:09:08 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
>> "Cycling is the third most popular recreational activity in the UK. An
>> estimated 3.1 million people ride a bicycle each month."
>
> Not just for recreation though.
>
> http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/boris-bike-use-at-twice-normal-level-as-londoners-seek-to-avoid-the-tube-strike-10378279.html

Our eldest son got rid of his car about 2 years ago and cycles
everywhere, including to work. He is super fit and of course has saved
an awful lot of money into the bargain.

RJH[_2_]
July 11th 15, 09:59 AM
On 11/07/2015 08:32, David Lang wrote:
> On 11/07/2015 07:09, Bod wrote:
>> "Cycling is the third most popular recreational activity in the UK. An
>> estimated 3.1 million people ride a bicycle each month."
>>

> But cycling only accounts for less than 1% of passenger miles.

For cyclists - obviously?! If 'all' that's likely a high figure. I'd
notch up about 10000 air miles, 3000 car miles, 1000 PT miles and 1000
bike miles on average each year.

--
Cheers, Rob

RJH[_2_]
July 11th 15, 10:01 AM
On 11/07/2015 09:48, Bod wrote:
> On 11/07/2015 09:15, Alycidon wrote:
>> On Saturday, 11 July 2015 07:09:08 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
>>> "Cycling is the third most popular recreational activity in the UK. An
>>> estimated 3.1 million people ride a bicycle each month."
>>
>> Not just for recreation though.
>>
>> http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/boris-bike-use-at-twice-normal-level-as-londoners-seek-to-avoid-the-tube-strike-10378279.html
>>

> Our eldest son got rid of his car about 2 years ago and cycles
> everywhere, including to work. He is super fit and of course has saved
> an awful lot of money into the bargain.

And hopefully time. My 3 mile work commute is a good 50% quicker than PT
or car.

--
Cheers, Rob

Bod[_5_]
July 11th 15, 10:06 AM
On 11/07/2015 10:01, RJH wrote:
> On 11/07/2015 09:48, Bod wrote:
>>>
>>> Not just for recreation though.
>>>
>>> http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/boris-bike-use-at-twice-normal-level-as-londoners-seek-to-avoid-the-tube-strike-10378279.html
>>>

>> Our eldest son got rid of his car about 2 years ago and cycles
>> everywhere, including to work. He is super fit and of course has saved
>> an awful lot of money into the bargain.
>
> And hopefully time. My 3 mile work commute is a good 50% quicker than PT
> or car.

That's good.
Coincidently, our son's distance to work is about 3 miles each way.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home