PDA

View Full Version : Road Tax for improved cycling facilities ! ( Apoplexy alert! )

colwyn[_2_]
July 21st 15, 10:51 PM
The Scottish Government is being urged to use motorists' road tax cash
to help improve cycle paths and pavements.

A group of charities made the plea after Chancellor George Osborne
announced he would be putting money from vehicle excise duty (VED) into
a new roads fund for England.

Mr Osborne pledged to consult with the Scottish Government and other
devolved administrations on "how the money is allocated there".

But charities - including WWF Scotland, Ramblers Scotland and Friends of
the Earth Scotland - are calling on Holyrood ministers to adopt a
different approach when spending their share of the cash.

Mr Osborne said in his Budget earlier this month that ''every single
penny raised in vehicle excise duty in England'' will go into a new
roads fund to pay for ''sustained investment our roads so badly need''.

In Scotland, however, the charities - which also include Transform
Scotland, Sustrans Scotland, Paths for All and Living Streets Scotland -
say part of the cash should go on infrastructure to increase walking and
cycling.

While they say a repair fund should be established for the local roads
network and footways, they also want some of the money to be spent on
ensuring buses and trains are better linked up with walking and cycling
networks.

In a letter to the Scottish Government, the seven charities called on
ministers at Holyrood to adopt "an approach which reflects Scotland's
world-leading ambition on climate change".

Colin Howden, director of Transform Scotland, said: "Vehicle excise duty
is a tax on pollution but the UK Government's plan in England will see
it used to increase traffic and pollution.

"We have an opportunity to do things differently in Scotland. Investing
in a repair fund for our footways and local roads - where most everyday
journeys are actually made - will benefit pedestrians, cyclists and
drivers alike without increasing road capacity."

John Lauder, national director of Sustrans Scotland, said: "It is good
that in Scotland we have clear government support for walking and
cycling. We've made big strides but there's much still to do.

"Continued investment in cycling and walking, and better integration of
active travel with public transport, will enable more people to choose
healthier, cleaner and cheaper journeys while reducing congestion and
making Scotland's communities more attractive and liveable places."

WWF Scotland director Lang Banks said: "With climate emissions from
transport stuck at 1990 levels, Scottish ministers have the ideal
opportunity to think smarter about how they'll spend the money raised
from vehicle excise duty.

"If spent wisely on infrastructure that supports alternatives to the
car, such as walking and cycling, the Scottish Government could deliver
the double win of improving public health and helping to achieve its
world-leading climate ambitions."

A Scottish Government spokesman said: "Following the announcement in the
UK Government's summer budget that vehicle excise duty is to be
reformed, we have written seeking clarity and greater detail about the
plans. To date, limited information has been passed to us on this issue."

He added: "More generally it's important to note that Scottish transport
emissions have actually fallen for six years in a row - equivalent to a
13% reduction overall.

"As the charities themselves recognise, there is already a series of
major commitments and significant investment in this area. We also have
a shared vision of 10% of everyday journeys by bike by 2020.

"We do, however, acknowledge more can be done and, as the transport
minister stated at Pedal on Parliament earlier this year, there is a
clear commitment to match record levels of investment seen during the
course of the last financial year.

"Recent announcements include the launch of a second Future Transport
Fund, continuing support for associated initiatives such as low carbon
buses and Smarter Choices Smarter Places, a policy to tackle the school
run, and the development of a low emission zone (LEZ) pilot project."

Alycidon
July 21st 15, 11:15 PM
On Tuesday, 21 July 2015 22:52:46 UTC+1, colwyn wrote:

> While they say a repair fund should be established for the local roads
> network and footways...

There already is such a fund, paid out of council tax that everyone contributes to, whether they drive or not.

David Lang
July 22nd 15, 07:55 PM
On 21/07/2015 23:15, Alycidon wrote:
> On Tuesday, 21 July 2015 22:52:46 UTC+1, colwyn wrote:
>

>> While they say a repair fund should be established for the local roads
>> network and footways...
>
> There already is such a fund, paid out of council tax that everyone contributes to, whether they drive or not.

But cyclists still pay no specific extra taxes in order to use the
roads. Sponging freeloaders.

Mr Pounder Esquire
July 22nd 15, 08:10 PM
"David Lang" > wrote in message
> On 21/07/2015 23:15, Alycidon wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 21 July 2015 22:52:46 UTC+1, colwyn wrote:
>>

>>> While they say a repair fund should be established for the local roads
>>> network and footways...
>>
>> There already is such a fund, paid out of council tax that everyone
>> contributes to, whether they drive or not.
>>
> But cyclists still pay no specific extra taxes in order to use the roads.
> Sponging freeloaders.

+1

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home