PDA

View Full Version : How to make an ugly bike

Thomas Reynolds
July 28th 03, 11:53 PM
I am interested in making a bike ugly because I often ride a bike to
the store or the 7-11 and lock it up outside. While I am in the store
I am always paranoid that someone will steal my bike.

So I got this old GT hardtail mountain bike for free and have spent
$50 fixing it up. It is almost finished and I want to make it
functional, but as ugly as possible so no one will want to steal it.

I have painted the frame several different colors and plan on gluing a
piece of shag carpetting to the top tube. I've considered painting
the rims and tires also.

Any more ideas on how to make the bike ugly?

Tom

Jim Price
July 29th 03, 01:04 AM
Thomas Reynolds wrote:

> I am interested in making a bike ugly because I often ride a bike to
> the store or the 7-11 and lock it up outside. While I am in the store
> I am always paranoid that someone will steal my bike.
>
> So I got this old GT hardtail mountain bike for free and have spent
> $50 fixing it up. It is almost finished and I want to make it
> functional, but as ugly as possible so no one will want to steal it.
>
> I have painted the frame several different colors and plan on gluing a
> piece of shag carpetting to the top tube. I've considered painting
> the rims and tires also.
>
> Any more ideas on how to make the bike ugly?

Duck tape handlebar grips (even more horrendous on drop bars).
Unfortunately it makes them rather uncomfortable if you use less than 10
layers. Rusty steel mudguards (may be called fenders where you live) and
chain guard. More Duck tape (grey instead of black this time) to protect
the paintwork where you know it will get bashed. Plastic bag over the
saddle. More Duck tape to make sure the plastic bag doesn't come off.
Barbie bell. Cover the pink bits of the Barbie bell with (you guessed
it) Duck tape. Paint the rusty bits with red oxide primer. Cover with
final top coat of Duck tape.

That ought to do it.

I have no connection with either manufacturers or resellers of Duck
tape. Neither has my bike been stolen in London (UK).

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

di
July 29th 03, 01:11 AM
Just go to Walmart and buy a new one. or use theirs for examples, especially
the paint jobs hoping to make the bike look expensive, :<)

"Thomas Reynolds" > wrote in message
m...
> I am interested in making a bike ugly because I often ride a bike to
> the store or the 7-11 and lock it up outside. While I am in the store
> I am always paranoid that someone will steal my bike.
>
> So I got this old GT hardtail mountain bike for free and have spent
> $50 fixing it up. It is almost finished and I want to make it
> functional, but as ugly as possible so no one will want to steal it.
>
> I have painted the frame several different colors and plan on gluing a
> piece of shag carpetting to the top tube. I've considered painting
> the rims and tires also.
>
> Any more ideas on how to make the bike ugly?
>
> Tom

Zoot Katz
July 29th 03, 01:18 AM
28 Jul 2003 15:53:52 -0700,
(Thomas Reynolds) wrote:

>Any more ideas on how to make the bike ugly?
>
>Tom

Put a ratty saddle on it.

A fixed gear and the tiniest clipless pedals supposedly deters, or
failing that, at least hampers, opportunistic thievery.
--
zk

Mike Kruger
July 29th 03, 01:21 AM
"Thomas Reynolds" > wrote in message
m...
> I am interested in making a bike ugly because I often ride a bike to
> the store or the 7-11 and lock it up outside. ...
> I have painted the frame several different colors and plan on gluing a
> piece of shag carpetting to the top tube. I've considered painting
> the rims and tires also.
>
> Any more ideas on how to make the bike ugly?

Put a milk crate on the back.
Very handy for carrying stuff back from the store, and makes almost any bike
look worthless.

One fellow club member put on slime green paint (the stuff that wears off --
used for marking the annual fundraiser ride).

Doug Purdy
July 29th 03, 01:46 AM
A messenger's bike I saw won the ugly contest as far as I'm concerned. He
had some soft spongy material for handgrips and they looked positively
diseased ... which might be particularly effective in Toronto over the past
few SARS stricken months. Thank gosh that seems to be over.

But you can't rely on ugly. Some thieves steal bikes forconvenient
transportation. Doesn't matter if it's any good, it's always easier than
walking. And as they're only stealing for this ride, it doesn't matter how
distinctive you make it.

But you might be able to leave your tire-painted, carpet-glued wonder longer
than most. Just make sure it's locked next to less ugly, easier to steal
bikes and you should be able to leave that bike to your grandchildren.

You don't always have to ride crap. I often ride a $2k CDN/$1.5k US bike to
work but the bike rack is only visible to people with authorized business in
my building and the area is surveyed by security cameras and guards.

If I have to park downtown I bring a Trek 800, a cheap crappy heavyweight,
but upgraded so it actually works smooth as silk... if you have the muscle
power to hump it up hills. It's "uglied" with lots of reflective tape,
fenders, front and rear racks, smooth tires and even mud flaps. No
self-respecting thief would be caught dead on it but if they try, the NY
Ulock will slow them down.

By mistake I brought my good commuter to a mid town bar for a work function.
I brought it in, within 10 feet of me and locked it. Any complaints and I
would have left. No one complained so we enjoyed the evening and the bar
enjoyed our money.

Doug
Toronto

"Thomas Reynolds" > wrote in message
m...
> I am interested in making a bike ugly because I often ride a bike to
> the store or the 7-11 and lock it up outside. While I am in the store
> I am always paranoid that someone will steal my bike.
>
> So I got this old GT hardtail mountain bike for free and have spent
> $50 fixing it up. It is almost finished and I want to make it
> functional, but as ugly as possible so no one will want to steal it.
>
> I have painted the frame several different colors and plan on gluing a
> piece of shag carpetting to the top tube. I've considered painting
> the rims and tires also.
>
> Any more ideas on how to make the bike ugly?
>
> Tom

Zippy the Pinhead
July 29th 03, 02:56 AM
Hang a Fred-looking phoney California license plate on the back of it
that says "Fabrizio".

Gary Smiley
July 29th 03, 02:58 AM
You're all missing the point:
Why not use a good lock- one that can't be defeated - like Kryptonite's
New York lock?
Then you don't have to screw up the appearance of your bike.
And it's much easier to do.

Thomas Reynolds wrote:

> I am interested in making a bike ugly because I often ride a bike to
> the store or the 7-11 and lock it up outside. While I am in the store
> I am always paranoid that someone will steal my bike.
>
> So I got this old GT hardtail mountain bike for free and have spent
> $50 fixing it up. It is almost finished and I want to make it
> functional, but as ugly as possible so no one will want to steal it.
>
> I have painted the frame several different colors and plan on gluing a
> piece of shag carpetting to the top tube. I've considered painting
> the rims and tires also.
>
> Any more ideas on how to make the bike ugly?
>
> Tom

Rick Onanian
July 29th 03, 03:22 AM
On 28 Jul 2003 15:53:52 -0700, Thomas Reynolds >
wrote:
> I have painted the frame several different colors and plan on gluing a
> piece of shag carpetting to the top tube. I've considered painting
> the rims and tires also.

Those treatments may make it ugly, but it would be so
garish and unique, many would be attracted to it,
especially the types that would steal it.

> Any more ideas on how to make the bike ugly?

Rust, and lots of it. Broken cable housings. Torn saddle.
Tires with nylon showing through. Missing spokes. Bent
spokes. Masking tape and duct tape, especially for grips.
Bent/broken pedals.

And don't forget the rust.

--
Rick Onanian

Rick Onanian
July 29th 03, 03:28 AM
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:18:51 -0700, Zoot Katz >
wrote:
> A fixed gear and the tiniest clipless pedals supposedly deters, or
> failing that, at least hampers, opportunistic thievery.

m2racer Orbs would definately deter a theif -- somebody would have
to bring pedals, or carry the bike away. I can't imagine riding them
in sneakers..
http://www.m2racer.com/products.php?cat=2

--
Rick Onanian

Rick Onanian
July 29th 03, 03:32 AM
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 19:58:00 -0500, Jeff >
wrote:
> I wouldn't paint the tires. Three reasons:
> 1. Reduces tire grip on the road.

Probably not horribly, especially for something used at
convenience-store speeds.

> 2. Most likely will crack and flake off fairly quickly as you ride.

Thereby contributing to ugliness.

> 3. If you use the wrong paint on the wrong tire, the chemicals in the
> paint may weaken the tire wall.

See my answer to #1.

--
Rick Onanian

Pete
July 29th 03, 03:57 AM
"Gary Smiley" > wrote in message
> You're all missing the point:
> Why not use a good lock- one that can't be defeated - like Kryptonite's
> New York lock?
> Then you don't have to screw up the appearance of your bike.
> And it's much easier to do.

No such thing as a lock that cannot be defeated. If you can't break the
lock, break what it is locked to.

An attractive bike, in the right (wrong) place, day after day...will get
stolen eventually.

Pete

Pete
July 29th 03, 04:01 AM
"Rick Onanian" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:18:51 -0700, Zoot Katz >
> wrote:
> > A fixed gear and the tiniest clipless pedals supposedly deters, or
> > failing that, at least hampers, opportunistic thievery.
>
> m2racer Orbs would definately deter a theif -- somebody would have
> to bring pedals, or carry the bike away. I can't imagine riding them
> in sneakers..
> http://www.m2racer.com/products.php?cat=2

Shee-it. I've seen fools riding bikes with *no* pedals, but merely spindles.
And that was a bike to ride, instead of sell.
A semi-serious thief will just toss it in the back of a pickup truck, and be
off.

Pete

July 29th 03, 05:20 AM
> Any more ideas on how to make the bike ugly?
> Tom

Put a CB antenna on it. And some big wire baskets. And maybe some pix of
politicians, maybe bumper stickers. And a small license plate.
Or, you could transform it into a work of art . . . sort of like those "art
cars" where they paint 'em wacky colors and glue trashcan lids and shells
and cattle horns and pots and pans on 'em. Oh yah . . . common theives are
dime a dozen, art theives are pretty hard to come by. Plus no one is going
to steal a bike that'll be real easy to spot by cops on patrol ("Calling all
cars, calling all cars, be on the lookout for a stolen bicycle, has sea
shells superglued all over") . . .
Justa thought . . .
--Tock

Dan Daniel
July 29th 03, 05:22 AM
wrote:

>Any more ideas on how to make the bike ugly?
>
>Tom

Training wheels. A front basket with a pitbull sitting in it.

And Grateful Dead stickers. Lots. It doesn't get any uglier....

Peter Cole
July 29th 03, 11:53 AM
"Thomas Reynolds" > wrote in message
m...
> I am interested in making a bike ugly because I often ride a bike to
> the store or the 7-11 and lock it up outside. While I am in the store
> I am always paranoid that someone will steal my bike.
>
> Any more ideas on how to make the bike ugly?

Paint it Celeste.

James Hodson
July 29th 03, 04:01 PM
On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 01:04:36 GMT, "Pete" > wrote:

>... or at the very least, lean it against the front window where you can see it.

Hi Pete

Sadly that prophylatic method doesn't always work, as I've learnt to
my cost. I could see the bike; I could see the <expletive deleted> as
he nicked the bike; I could see the shop assistant wildly flapping her
hands as she told me my bike had just been nicked.

One lives and learns.
James

--
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg

James Hodson
July 29th 03, 04:41 PM
On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 10:53:55 GMT, "Peter Cole"
> wrote:

>Paint it Celeste.

Sick, Pete, very sick :-)

James

--
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg

Robert Oliver
July 29th 03, 05:06 PM
"Thomas Reynolds" > wrote in message
m...
> I am interested in making a bike ugly because I often ride a bike to
> the store or the 7-11 and lock it up outside. While I am in the store
> I am always paranoid that someone will steal my bike.

Put a bell on it. They sell them shaped like dinosaurs, rubber duckies, etc.
No one will be caught dead taking your bike.

Chalo
July 29th 03, 11:24 PM
(Thomas Reynolds) wrote:

A crusty veteran milk crate on the rear rack never fails to bring a
bike down visually. Not only does it look shabby, but it says "work"
instead of "play". If you affix a pair of BMX or chopper bars, you
can zip-tie a milk crate on the front too.

Thus your bike will look like transportation for the destitute, and
you'll have a convenient place to put your groceries.

Less functional, but very effective uglification can be had by
painting any part of your bike with a brush.

Gratuitous duct tape whispers of deception, but wrapped onto, say, a
cracked or torn vinyl saddle cover, it speaks of poverty and
desperation. Thieves don't like those things any more than the rest
of us.

Chalo Colina

Fritz M
July 30th 03, 01:14 AM
Rick Onanian > wrote:

> And don't forget the rust.

My bike is uglified for theft prevention, but the thought occurs to me that
if the beater looks too beat, then a thief in need of quick and cheap
transportation may justify his actions by thinking that nobody would want a
bike that's as ugly as the rusting hulk he sees at the corner store.

RFM
--
To reply, translate domain from l33+ 2p33|< to alpha.
4=a 0=o 3=e +=t

Michael
July 30th 03, 05:13 AM
Pete wrote:

> "Gary Smiley" > wrote in message
> > You're all missing the point:
> > Why not use a good lock- one that can't be defeated - like Kryptonite's
> > New York lock?
> > Then you don't have to screw up the appearance of your bike.
> > And it's much easier to do.
>
> No such thing as a lock that cannot be defeated. If you can't break the
> lock, break what it is locked to.
>
> An attractive bike, in the right (wrong) place, day after day...will get
> stolen eventually.
>
> Pete

Eventually. But eventually can be far enough in the future that it's
irrelevant, e.g. leaving the bike long enough to grab a meal.

I'm reminded of some Boston press I read in the 70's about the original
Kryptonite U-lock, the one made of stainless flat bar, not the tubular
shaped one you see today. Seems someone (the lock mfgr? The
newspaper?) secured several bikes - each with a different popular lock -
to sturdy, anchored-down things and left them. Each day the bikes were
checked. *All* of the chains and puny locks gave up their bikes intact,
but the Kryptonite-secured bike lasted for weeks. Eventually only the
rear wheel and frame - the locked parts - remained.

My old flat bar Kryptonite still gives great service.

Michael
July 30th 03, 05:18 AM
Thomas Reynolds wrote:

> I am interested in making a bike ugly because I often ride a bike to
> the store or the 7-11 and lock it up outside. While I am in the store
> I am always paranoid that someone will steal my bike.
>
> So I got this old GT hardtail mountain bike for free and have spent
> $50 fixing it up. It is almost finished and I want to make it
> functional, but as ugly as possible so no one will want to steal it.
>
> I have painted the frame several different colors and plan on gluing a
> piece of shag carpetting to the top tube. I've considered painting
> the rims and tires also.
>
> Any more ideas on how to make the bike ugly?
>
> Tom

Long plastic streamers. Definitely lots of plastic streamers in gay
colors. (Hmmm ... I wonder if they're still available ...) CB antenna
mounted on the tail end (pun intended) and a racoon tail tied to the top
of the antenna.

Peter Cole
July 30th 03, 12:02 PM
"Michael" > wrote in message ...

> I'm reminded of some Boston press I read in the 70's about the original
> Kryptonite U-lock, the one made of stainless flat bar, not the tubular
> shaped one you see today. Seems someone (the lock mfgr? The
> newspaper?) secured several bikes - each with a different popular lock -
> to sturdy, anchored-down things and left them. Each day the bikes were
> checked. *All* of the chains and puny locks gave up their bikes intact,
> but the Kryptonite-secured bike lasted for weeks. Eventually only the
> rear wheel and frame - the locked parts - remained.
>
> My old flat bar Kryptonite still gives great service.

Mine too. I bought it in 1970 or so, immediately after they came out.
Unfortunately, they were out of stock for a couple of weeks, and my bike was
stolen. I got the lock *before* my replacement bike, and I still have both
today. Weighs a ton though.

Mark Weaver
July 30th 03, 07:52 PM
"di" > wrote in message
.. .
> Just go to Walmart and buy a new one. or use theirs for examples,
especially
> the paint jobs hoping to make the bike look expensive, :<)

More to the point, given the prices of bikes at Walmart now, it seems to me
that nobody in their right mind is going to steal an old bike...at least not
as a way of trying to make money. A thief probably wouldn't be able to give
it away. As long as the bike is minimally locked so somebody doesn't grab
for the hell of it, I think that the uglification is probably a waste of
time.

Mark

Kelly Johnson
July 30th 03, 10:03 PM
(Thomas Reynolds) wrote in message >...
> I am interested in making a bike ugly because I often ride a bike to
> the store or the 7-11 and lock it up outside. While I am in the store
> I am always paranoid that someone will steal my bike.
>
> So I got this old GT hardtail mountain bike for free and have spent
> $50 fixing it up. It is almost finished and I want to make it
> functional, but as ugly as possible so no one will want to steal it.
>
> I have painted the frame several different colors and plan on gluing a
> piece of shag carpetting to the top tube. I've considered painting
> the rims and tires also.
>
> Any more ideas on how to make the bike ugly?
>
> Tom

Duct tape a length of broomstick to your top tube (make the length of
broomstick slightly longer than the top tube) Allow the broomstick to
show through in several areas of the tape. It will appear as though
the bike is broken and only being held together by a stick and tape.

Mike Kruger
July 31st 03, 04:20 AM
"Mark Weaver" > wrote in message

> More to the point, given the prices of bikes at Walmart now, it seems to
me
> that nobody in their right mind is going to steal an old bike...at least
not
> as a way of trying to make money. A thief probably wouldn't be able to
give
> it away. As long as the bike is minimally locked so somebody doesn't grab
> for the hell of it, I think that the uglification is probably a waste of
> time.

Regardless, bikes get stolen. And looks do matter.
Last fall, a thief broke into the porch where my daughter lives and stole
only 1 bike:
a pink Specialized Crossroads, several years old and ridden hard.
an unearthly green Schwinn Caliente, decades old
another vintage college kid bike; don't have the details.
Only the Crossroads was stolen -- ironically, we'd joked about the pink
color scaring away thieves.
But, of the three bikes, it was the best looking one.

Michael
July 31st 03, 04:27 AM
Peter Cole wrote:

> "Michael" > wrote in message ...
> >
> > I'm reminded of some Boston press I read in the 70's about the original
> > Kryptonite U-lock, the one made of stainless flat bar, not the tubular
> > shaped one you see today. Seems someone (the lock mfgr? The
> > newspaper?) secured several bikes - each with a different popular lock -
> > to sturdy, anchored-down things and left them. Each day the bikes were
> > checked. *All* of the chains and puny locks gave up their bikes intact,
> > but the Kryptonite-secured bike lasted for weeks. Eventually only the
> > rear wheel and frame - the locked parts - remained.
> >
> > My old flat bar Kryptonite still gives great service.
>
> Mine too. I bought it in 1970 or so, immediately after they came out.
> Unfortunately, they were out of stock for a couple of weeks, and my bike was
> stolen. I got the lock *before* my replacement bike, and I still have both
> today. Weighs a ton though.

You're the only other person I've encountered in many years who has one
..... or even knows about them.

As you probably know, Kryptonite intended to produce a secure
alternative to the chain-and-padlock that was the norm back then. So
today I look around and see .... lots of cables! Hey guys ... ever hear
of bolt cutters?

Since I don't race or ride more than 20 miles/day, I don't care that my
lock is heavy. What does bug be though is the chattering noise it makes
now. My Kryptonite hanger was always clamped to the "horizontal tube"
(I don't know what it's called) and just forward of the tip of the
saddle; several days ago the sheet metal tore a good pair of shorts, so
I moved it to the seat tube. Now the lock's flat closure bar rattles
and buzzes ... and I keep checking to see if the rear del needs a nudge
to one side or the other. I need to get a small binji and fix that
lock!

Michael
July 31st 03, 04:27 AM
Peter Cole wrote:

> "Michael" > wrote in message ...
> >
> > I'm reminded of some Boston press I read in the 70's about the original
> > Kryptonite U-lock, the one made of stainless flat bar, not the tubular
> > shaped one you see today. Seems someone (the lock mfgr? The
> > newspaper?) secured several bikes - each with a different popular lock -
> > to sturdy, anchored-down things and left them. Each day the bikes were
> > checked. *All* of the chains and puny locks gave up their bikes intact,
> > but the Kryptonite-secured bike lasted for weeks. Eventually only the
> > rear wheel and frame - the locked parts - remained.
> >
> > My old flat bar Kryptonite still gives great service.
>
> Mine too. I bought it in 1970 or so, immediately after they came out.
> Unfortunately, they were out of stock for a couple of weeks, and my bike was
> stolen. I got the lock *before* my replacement bike, and I still have both
> today. Weighs a ton though.

You're the only other person I've encountered in many years who has one
..... or even knows about them.

As you probably know, Kryptonite intended to produce a secure
alternative to the chain-and-padlock that was the norm back then. So
today I look around and see .... lots of cables! Hey guys ... ever hear
of bolt cutters?

Since I don't race or ride more than 20 miles/day, I don't care that my
lock is heavy. What does bug be though is the chattering noise it makes
now. My Kryptonite hanger was always clamped to the "horizontal tube"
(I don't know what it's called) and just forward of the tip of the
saddle; several days ago the sheet metal tore a good pair of shorts, so
I moved it to the seat tube. Now the lock's flat closure bar rattles
and buzzes ... and I keep checking to see if the rear del needs a nudge
to one side or the other. I need to get a small binji and fix that
lock!

Eric S. Sande
July 31st 03, 04:49 AM
>I do not rely on this lock at my work place, where there is probably
>a higher likelihood of professional thieves.

As on this ng, where you need Kryptonite's best.

:-)

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------

Hunrobe
July 31st 03, 08:04 AM

wrote:

>I am interested in making a bike ugly because I often ride a bike to
>the store or the 7-11 and lock it up outside. While I am in the store
>I am always paranoid that someone will steal my bike.
>
>So I got this old GT hardtail mountain bike for free and have spent
>$50 fixing it up. It is almost finished and I want to make it
>functional, but as ugly as possible so no one will want to steal it.
>
>I have painted the frame several different colors and plan on gluing a
>piece of shag carpetting to the top tube. I've considered painting
>the rims and tires also.
>
>Any more ideas on how to make the bike ugly?
>
>Tom

This doesn't qualify as "uglification" but you could velcro wrap an old
seatpost to the top tube. Arrive at your destination, lock your bike, remove
the seatpost with the saddle, and install the one sans saddle. No QR, just a
binder bolt. If your bike *is* stolen you'll at least be able to take comfort
in the fact that the thief suffered.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Actually34
July 31st 03, 02:11 PM
Da-Glow handlebar streamers.

James Messick
August 1st 03, 02:09 AM
"Claire Petersky" > wrote in message
om...

> If the risk is impulse transporation, all the lock you need is one
> that is enough to keep someone from instantly running off with your
> bike. I have a very simple, lightweight cable lock for, say, locking
> my bike in front of the public library, where I believe the risk of
> impulse transportation thievery is relatively high. I do not rely on
> this lock at my work place, where there is probably a higher
> likelihood of professional thieves.

Why, do you work at a law office?

Tom Keats
August 1st 03, 07:25 AM
In article >,
(Thomas Reynolds) writes:
> I am interested in making a bike ugly because I often ride a bike to
> the store or the 7-11 and lock it up outside. While I am in the store
> I am always paranoid that someone will steal my bike.
>
> So I got this old GT hardtail mountain bike for free and have spent
> $50 fixing it up. It is almost finished and I want to make it
> functional, but as ugly as possible so no one will want to steal it.

After already committing 50 bux and some work into fixing it up,
you might find it difficult bringing yourself to make it look bad.

> Any more ideas on how to make the bike ugly?

Glue live earthworms all over it. Contact cement or rubber
cement might be easiest to later remove, but it might also
kill the worms. Long, squirmy, alibino dew worms might be
even more visually impressive.

Maybe find some old, discarded pedals with bashed-in cages,
and stick 'em on it.

Saddles can develop some sort of fungal or mildewy brown layer
when left in a dark and damp location.

cheers,
Tom