PDA

View Full Version : No Hypocrisy Posting From A 7 cm/yr Rainfall Desert

Bret Cahill
July 31st 15, 06:25 AM
For awhile I was worried about possibly being a fraud, cycling in the desert while posting to a N. Europe chat group where they get 2 m / yr of rain.

A couple weeks ago I got caught in an El Nino rain that was so heavy it destroyed I-10, the major East-West interstate into LA.

I was perfectly happy cycling in that rain. So were hundreds of other cyclists.

Bret Cahill

Alycidon
July 31st 15, 08:09 AM
On Friday, 31 July 2015 06:25:27 UTC+1, Bret Cahill wrote:
> For awhile I was worried about possibly being a fraud, cycling in the desert while posting to a N. Europe chat group where they get 2 m / yr of rain.
>
> A couple weeks ago I got caught in an El Nino rain that was so heavy it destroyed I-10, the major East-West interstate into LA.
>
> I was perfectly happy cycling in that rain. So were hundreds of other cyclists.

Me too - as I always used to say, I don't mind being wet or cold, but I don't like being wet AND cold. Wet in a desert is fine.

jnugent
July 31st 15, 11:23 AM
On 31/07/2015 06:25, Bret Cahill wrote:

> For awhile I was worried about possibly being a fraud, cycling in the desert while posting to a N. Europe chat group where they get 2 m / yr of rain.
> A couple weeks ago I got caught in an El Nino rain that was so heavy it destroyed I-10, the major East-West interstate into LA.
> I was perfectly happy cycling in that rain. So were hundreds of other cyclists.
> Bret Cahill

I10 has been "destroyed"?

All of it, or just a particular bit?

If the latter, which bit, please?

Nick[_4_]
July 31st 15, 12:57 PM
On 31/07/2015 06:25, Bret Cahill wrote:
>
London only gets 60cm.

>
>

yeah rain is quite pleasant in the warm, however grip goes way down on
wet roads. Drain covers and paint can become lethal on a road bike.

Bret Cahill
August 1st 15, 08:44 AM
> > For awhile I was worried about possibly being a fraud, cycling in the desert while posting to a N. Europe chat group where they get 2 m / yr of rain.
> >
> London only gets 60cm.

Hard to believe.

> > A couple weeks ago I got caught in an El Nino rain that was so heavy it destroyed I-10, the major East-West interstate into LA.
> >
> > I was perfectly happy cycling in that rain. So were hundreds of other cyclists.
> >
>
> yeah rain is quite pleasant in the warm, however grip goes way down on
> wet roads. Drain covers and paint can become lethal on a road bike.

Every once in a blue moon you need to read the greatest economist of the 20th Century, Keynes, and spend some EURO on infrastructure.

Bret Cahill

Bret Cahill
August 1st 15, 08:46 AM
> > For awhile I was worried about possibly being a fraud, cycling in the desert while posting to a N. Europe chat group where they get 2 m / yr of rain.
> > A couple weeks ago I got caught in an El Nino rain that was so heavy it destroyed I-10, the major East-West interstate into LA.
> > I was perfectly happy cycling in that rain. So were hundreds of other cyclists.
> > Bret Cahill
>
> I10 has been "destroyed"?
>
> All of it, or just a particular bit?
>
> If the latter, which bit, please?

The bit that causes 10,000 heavy trucks / day to be rerouted through my favorite cycling route.

Alycidon
August 1st 15, 09:04 AM
On Saturday, 1 August 2015 08:44:15 UTC+1, Bret Cahill wrote:
> > > For awhile I was worried about possibly being a fraud, cycling in the desert while posting to a N. Europe chat group where they get 2 m / yr of rain.
> > >
> > London only gets 60cm.
>
> Hard to believe.
>
> > > A couple weeks ago I got caught in an El Nino rain that was so heavy it destroyed I-10, the major East-West interstate into LA.
> > >
> > > I was perfectly happy cycling in that rain. So were hundreds of other cyclists.
> > >
> >
> > yeah rain is quite pleasant in the warm, however grip goes way down on
> > wet roads. Drain covers and paint can become lethal on a road bike.
>
> Every once in a blue moon you need to read the greatest economist of the 20th Century, Keynes, and spend some EURO on infrastructure.

We had a blue moon only last night.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3179917/Blue-moon-horizon-Rare-phenomenon-two-moons-calendar-month-light-skies-Friday.html

jnugent
August 1st 15, 12:08 PM
On 01/08/2015 08:46, Bret Cahill wrote:
>>> For awhile I was worried about possibly being a fraud, cycling in the desert while posting to a N. Europe chat group where they get 2 m / yr of rain.
>>> A couple weeks ago I got caught in an El Nino rain that was so heavy it destroyed I-10, the major East-West interstate into LA.
>>> I was perfectly happy cycling in that rain. So were hundreds of other cyclists.
>>> Bret Cahill
>>
>> I10 has been "destroyed"?
>>
>> All of it, or just a particular bit?
>>
>> If the latter, which bit, please?
>
> The bit that causes 10,000 heavy trucks / day to be rerouted through my favorite cycling route.

I found a news report online.

It won't take California long to rebuild that bridge.

Rob Morley
August 3rd 15, 03:50 AM
On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 00:09:41 -0700 (PDT)
Alycidon > wrote:

> Me too - as I always used to say, I don't mind being wet or cold, but
> I don't like being wet AND cold. Wet in a desert is fine.
>
Except deserts can get really cold.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home