PDA

View Full Version : Greenspeed-like trike Gets a Bigger Wheel!

Cycle America/Nat. Bicycle Greenway
November 7th 03, 06:22 PM
26" rear wheel in its class? If so, the famous Trimuter (made formerly
made by Wicks Aircraft) just got better. Jerome Hediger, the man who
rode a Wicks SWB Hed Turner in the Des Moines to Boulder leg of our NBG
2002 Mayors' Ride
(http://www.bikeroute.com/SCNBGFest/BoulderRecep.htm) , left Wicks so
he can concentrate on building even better Trimuters and Hed Turners.
And one of the first things he set out to do , he has accomplished.

Build a trike with a 26" rear wheel!!

He tells me that the bike absorbs road shock better and that it rolls
faster with a little bit less effort. Already his customers have told
him they prefer the sexier look of the bigger wheeled trike in three
out of every four purchase exchanges. Add the proven great ride and
handling of American made Greenspeed-like trikes and this trike comes
away a big winner worthy of your consideration. Go to:

http://www.Trimuter.com/bigwheel.htm

btw: A picture of his beautiful machine, along with other fun bent
factoids can be found in the blog at our recumbent site:

http://www.bikeroute.com/Recumbents

--
MARTIN KRIEG: "Awake Again" Author c/o BikeRoute.com
79 & 86 TransAms, nonprofit Nat. Bicycle Greenway CEO

Ever wanted anything so bad U were willing to die for it?
Really die? By moving thru clinical death and reversing
paralysis, *I saw God* when I answered that question.

Larry Varney
November 22nd 03, 01:57 PM
Cycle America/Nat. Bicycle Greenway wrote:
<snip>
> Already his customers have told
> him they prefer the sexier look of the bigger wheeled trike in three
> out of every four purchase exchanges.
<snip>

It always makes me cringe when I see advertisements that try to link
sex with just about any product that can be sold - but it's especially
disturbing when the customers do it on their own! Honestly, just how
does a 26" wheel make a recumbent trike look "sexier"? And which sex are
we referring to? And is it human or something else?
If any part of a bicycle/tricycle makes you think of sex, maybe
you're getting too much of one and not enough of the other.

--
Larry Varney
Cold Spring, KY

Tom Sherman
November 22nd 03, 02:41 PM
Larry Varney wrote:

> ... If any part of a bicycle/tricycle makes you think of sex, maybe
> you're getting too much of one and not enough of the other.

Where do you think new bikes and trikes come from? The story about them
being manufactured by people is a lie told by the manufacturers so the
can charge more money.

P.S. The best performing bikes and trikes are those that were raised
under free-range conditions.

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

Mark Leuck
November 22nd 03, 03:10 PM
"Tom Sherman" > wrote in message

> Larry Varney wrote:
> >
> > ... If any part of a bicycle/tricycle makes you think of sex, maybe
> > you're getting too much of one and not enough of the other.
>
> Where do you think new bikes and trikes come from? The story about them
> being manufactured by people is a lie told by the manufacturers so the
> can charge more money.
>
> P.S. The best performing bikes and trikes are those that were raised
> under free-range conditions.
>
> Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

That is false, several studies have shown genetically enhanced recumbents
are far faster than free-range and have much stronger frames although the
rider does risk a slight increase of cancer and/or brain tumors

J.Davis
November 22nd 03, 04:17 PM
"Mark Leuck" > wrote in message

> "Tom Sherman" > wrote in message
> >
> > Larry Varney wrote:
> > >
> > > ... If any part of a bicycle/tricycle makes you think of sex, maybe
> > > you're getting too much of one and not enough of the other.
> >
> > Where do you think new bikes and trikes come from? The story about them
> > being manufactured by people is a lie told by the manufacturers so the
> > can charge more money.
> >
> > P.S. The best performing bikes and trikes are those that were raised
> > under free-range conditions.
> >
> > Tom Sherman - Planet Earth
>
> That is false, several studies have shown genetically enhanced recumbents
> are far faster than free-range and have much stronger frames although the
> rider does risk a slight increase of cancer and/or brain tumors

Not to mention the possibility that all that indiscriminant "breeding" on
the open-range can result in offspring that resemble a Revive....

Hellbent Rick
November 23rd 03, 03:37 PM
Larry,

I'm not an art aficionado, but the concept of art is to produce a feeling or
emotion from the beholder. One of the strongest emotion we have as humans
is sex. I agree that using adjectives such as 'sexy' might be bit
misleading and abused. However, there is one underplayed emotion that any
successful trike should invoke, and that is 'envy'.

Rick Horwitz
http://www.hellbentcycles.com

"Larry Varney" > wrote in message
> Cycle America/Nat. Bicycle Greenway wrote:
> <snip>
> > Already his customers have told
> > him they prefer the sexier look of the bigger wheeled trike in three
> > out of every four purchase exchanges.
> <snip>
>
> It always makes me cringe when I see advertisements that try to link
> sex with just about any product that can be sold - but it's especially
> disturbing when the customers do it on their own! Honestly, just how
> does a 26" wheel make a recumbent trike look "sexier"? And which sex are
> we referring to? And is it human or something else?
> If any part of a bicycle/tricycle makes you think of sex, maybe
> you're getting too much of one and not enough of the other.
>

> --
> Larry Varney
> Cold Spring, KY
> http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

Larry Varney
November 23rd 03, 03:57 PM
Hellbent Rick wrote:
> Larry,
>
> I'm not an art aficionado, but the concept of art is to produce a feeling or
> emotion from the beholder. One of the strongest emotion we have as humans
> is sex. I agree that using adjectives such as 'sexy' might be bit
> misleading and abused. However, there is one underplayed emotion that any
> successful trike should invoke, and that is 'envy'.
>

> Rick Horwitz
> http://www.hellbentcycles.com

I can see "envy", in the sense that we might envy someone who owns
such-and-such trike. And I'm not denigrating the appearance of trikes
with the large rear wheel - a friend of mine had a fairly old Trice, and
I loved the way that big wheel was just about at the level of the riders
head - reminded me of some of the old Formula One race cars, with the
air intakes for the carbs just behind the driver.
I could just imagine that I was Jim Clark in his Lotus, sitting on
that trike. But did it arouse something sexual, that big wheel? Did it
stir some deep, dark feelings regarding sex? Not consciously, anyway.
I'm not even sure just which sex some people are referring to, when they
say something like that is "sexy". Is it male or female?
And now I'm thinking all kinds of weird thoughts about those big
wheels. Calling Dr. Freud!
--
Larry Varney
Cold Spring, KY
http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

MLB
November 24th 03, 12:28 AM
Larry Varney > wrote in
:

> Hellbent Rick wrote:
>> Larry,
>>
>> I'm not an art aficionado, but the concept of art is to produce a
>> feeling or emotion from the beholder. One of the strongest emotion
>> we have as humans is sex. I agree that using adjectives such as
>> 'sexy' might be bit misleading and abused. However, there is one
>> underplayed emotion that any successful trike should invoke, and that
>> is 'envy'.
>>

>> Rick Horwitz
>> http://www.hellbentcycles.com
>>

> I can see "envy", in the sense that we might envy someone who owns
> such-and-such trike. And I'm not denigrating the appearance of trikes
> with the large rear wheel - a friend of mine had a fairly old Trice,
> and I loved the way that big wheel was just about at the level of the
> riders head - reminded me of some of the old Formula One race cars,
> with the air intakes for the carbs just behind the driver.
> I could just imagine that I was Jim Clark in his Lotus, sitting on
> that trike. But did it arouse something sexual, that big wheel? Did it
> stir some deep, dark feelings regarding sex? Not consciously, anyway.
> I'm not even sure just which sex some people are referring to, when
> they say something like that is "sexy". Is it male or female?
> And now I'm thinking all kinds of weird thoughts about those big
> wheels. Calling Dr. Freud!

Sexy is often used to describe cars and motorcycles (not just by the ad
agencies) that have flowing lines and look 'symetrical' to the eye. I think
the comparison is to the flowing lines that define a sexy woman's form.
It's well known that 'most' men are instinctively attracted to a women with
a certain hip to shoulder(?) ratio that suggests a healthy body for child
bearing.

john riley
November 24th 03, 01:46 AM
Big wheel envy? Bigger is better? Will I start getting spam about a
patch I can put on a 20" wheel to make it bigger?

JR

Larry Varney > wrote in message >...
> Hellbent Rick wrote:
> > Larry,
> >
> > I'm not an art aficionado, but the concept of art is to produce a feeling or
> > emotion from the beholder. One of the strongest emotion we have as humans
> > is sex. I agree that using adjectives such as 'sexy' might be bit
> > misleading and abused. However, there is one underplayed emotion that any
> > successful trike should invoke, and that is 'envy'.
> >

> > Rick Horwitz
> > http://www.hellbentcycles.com
> >

> I can see "envy", in the sense that we might envy someone who owns
> such-and-such trike. And I'm not denigrating the appearance of trikes
> with the large rear wheel - a friend of mine had a fairly old Trice, and
> I loved the way that big wheel was just about at the level of the riders
> head - reminded me of some of the old Formula One race cars, with the
> air intakes for the carbs just behind the driver.
> I could just imagine that I was Jim Clark in his Lotus, sitting on
> that trike. But did it arouse something sexual, that big wheel? Did it
> stir some deep, dark feelings regarding sex? Not consciously, anyway.
> I'm not even sure just which sex some people are referring to, when they
> say something like that is "sexy". Is it male or female?
> And now I'm thinking all kinds of weird thoughts about those big
> wheels. Calling Dr. Freud!

Tom Sherman
November 24th 03, 02:57 AM
john riley wrote:

> Big wheel envy? Bigger is better? Will I start getting spam about a
> patch I can put on a 20" wheel to make it bigger?
>
> JR

No! No! No!

Small wheels are better. ;)

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

Larry Varney
November 24th 03, 03:21 AM
MLB wrote:
> Larry Varney > wrote in
> :
>

>>Hellbent Rick wrote:
>>
>>>Larry,
>>>
>>>I'm not an art aficionado, but the concept of art is to produce a
>>>feeling or emotion from the beholder. One of the strongest emotion
>>>we have as humans is sex. I agree that using adjectives such as
>>>'sexy' might be bit misleading and abused. However, there is one
>>>underplayed emotion that any successful trike should invoke, and that
>>>is 'envy'.
>>>

>>>Rick Horwitz
>>>http://www.hellbentcycles.com
>>>

>> I can see "envy", in the sense that we might envy someone who owns
>>such-and-such trike. And I'm not denigrating the appearance of trikes
>>with the large rear wheel - a friend of mine had a fairly old Trice,
>>and I loved the way that big wheel was just about at the level of the
>>riders head - reminded me of some of the old Formula One race cars,
>>with the air intakes for the carbs just behind the driver.
>> I could just imagine that I was Jim Clark in his Lotus, sitting on
>>that trike. But did it arouse something sexual, that big wheel? Did it
>>stir some deep, dark feelings regarding sex? Not consciously, anyway.
>>I'm not even sure just which sex some people are referring to, when
>>they say something like that is "sexy". Is it male or female?
>> And now I'm thinking all kinds of weird thoughts about those big
>>wheels. Calling Dr. Freud!
>

> Sexy is often used to describe cars and motorcycles (not just by the ad
> agencies) that have flowing lines and look 'symetrical' to the eye. I think
> the comparison is to the flowing lines that define a sexy woman's form.
> It's well known that 'most' men are instinctively attracted to a women with
> a certain hip to shoulder(?) ratio that suggests a healthy body for child
> bearing.

I know that the term "sexy" is often used in advertisements, but as I
said earlier, I find it disheartening when normal people use the term to
describe something that is so (hopefully) non-sexual.
And I hope that you're not saying that the large rear wheel of the
under-discussion trike is somehow related to a "sexy woman's form". And
child bearing? Just what are we sitting on, when we sit on a trike?

--
Larry Varney
Cold Spring, KY
http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

Larry Varney
November 24th 03, 03:22 AM
john riley wrote:
> Big wheel envy? Bigger is better? Will I start getting spam about a
> patch I can put on a 20" wheel to make it bigger?
>
> JR
>
> Larry Varney > wrote in message >...
>
>>Hellbent Rick wrote:
>>
>>>Larry,
>>>
>>>I'm not an art aficionado, but the concept of art is to produce a feeling or
>>>emotion from the beholder. One of the strongest emotion we have as humans
>>>is sex. I agree that using adjectives such as 'sexy' might be bit
>>>misleading and abused. However, there is one underplayed emotion that any
>>>successful trike should invoke, and that is 'envy'.
>>>

>>>Rick Horwitz
>>>http://www.hellbentcycles.com
>>>

>> I can see "envy", in the sense that we might envy someone who owns
>>such-and-such trike. And I'm not denigrating the appearance of trikes
>>with the large rear wheel - a friend of mine had a fairly old Trice, and
>>I loved the way that big wheel was just about at the level of the riders
>>head - reminded me of some of the old Formula One race cars, with the
>>air intakes for the carbs just behind the driver.
>> I could just imagine that I was Jim Clark in his Lotus, sitting on
>>that trike. But did it arouse something sexual, that big wheel? Did it
>>stir some deep, dark feelings regarding sex? Not consciously, anyway.
>>I'm not even sure just which sex some people are referring to, when they
>>say something like that is "sexy". Is it male or female?
>> And now I'm thinking all kinds of weird thoughts about those big
>>wheels. Calling Dr. Freud!

Maybe this explains why some people want to change their Catrike
Speed's front wheels from 305's to 349!

--
Larry Varney
Cold Spring, KY
http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

MLB
November 24th 03, 04:35 AM

> I know that the term "sexy" is often used in advertisements, but as
> said earlier, I find it disheartening when normal people use the term
> to describe something that is so (hopefully) non-sexual.

I think you are putting YOUR sexual conotations on others peoples ideas.
Most of us can use the term to describe an inatimate object while having no
thoughts of sex.

> And I hope that you're not saying that the large rear wheel of the
> under-discussion trike is somehow related to a "sexy woman's form".
> And child bearing? Just what are we sitting on, when we sit on a
> trike?

the whole point of my reply was that it doesn't have to relate to a sexual
thought or idea! "NICE LINES" - get it?

Larry Varney
November 24th 03, 12:26 PM
MLB wrote:
>> I know that the term "sexy" is often used in advertisements, but as
>>said earlier, I find it disheartening when normal people use the term
>>to describe something that is so (hopefully) non-sexual.
>

> I think you are putting YOUR sexual conotations on others peoples ideas.
> Most of us can use the term to describe an inatimate object while having no
> thoughts of sex.
>

>> And I hope that you're not saying that the large rear wheel of the
>>under-discussion trike is somehow related to a "sexy woman's form".
>>And child bearing? Just what are we sitting on, when we sit on a
>>trike?
>>

> the whole point of my reply was that it doesn't have to relate to a sexual
> thought or idea! "NICE LINES" - get it?

Yeah, I "get it". I'm applying my "sexual conotations" to the term
"sexy". For me, it relates to something sexual. You, on the other hand,
"use the term to describe an inatimate object while having no thought of
sex". Fine.

--
Larry Varney
Cold Spring, KY
http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

Dave Larrington
November 24th 03, 01:07 PM
Larry Varney wrote:

> It always makes me cringe when I see advertisements that try to
> link sex with just about any product that can be sold - but it's
> especially disturbing when the customers do it on their own!
> Honestly, just how does a 26" wheel make a recumbent trike look
> "sexier"? And which sex are we referring to? And is it human or
> something else? If any part of a bicycle/tricycle makes you think
> of sex, maybe
> you're getting too much of one and not enough of the other.

William. Though 'twas, if I may introduce a (whispers) political overtone
at this point, worse when The Mgt here in the UK was being accused of
"sexing-up" some dossier on the subject of weapons of mass destruction and
the possession thereof by Mr. S. Hussein, gangster and Caliph of Baghdad.
Is there something WRONG with the word "embellished" (apart from the obvious
fact of its having a Several of syllables)?

Pettifogger Jarnoyce B.Sc.
Professional Curmudgeon

Larry Varney
November 24th 03, 01:51 PM
Dave Larrington wrote:
> Larry Varney wrote:
>

>> It always makes me cringe when I see advertisements that try to
>>link sex with just about any product that can be sold - but it's
>>especially disturbing when the customers do it on their own!
>>Honestly, just how does a 26" wheel make a recumbent trike look
>>"sexier"? And which sex are we referring to? And is it human or
>> something else? If any part of a bicycle/tricycle makes you think
>>of sex, maybe
>>you're getting too much of one and not enough of the other.
>

> William. Though 'twas, if I may introduce a (whispers) political overtone
> at this point, worse when The Mgt here in the UK was being accused of
> "sexing-up" some dossier on the subject of weapons of mass destruction and
> the possession thereof by Mr. S. Hussein, gangster and Caliph of Baghdad.
> Is there something WRONG with the word "embellished" (apart from the obvious
> fact of its having a Several of syllables)?
>
> Pettifogger Jarnoyce B.Sc.
> Professional Curmudgeon

It has been said that "words mean things", or something like that.
The trouble is, we live in the world of Humpty Dumpty of "Alice In
Wonderland", where words meant whatever he wanted them to mean. So,
dictionaries are fated to go the way of the dinosaur.

“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone, “it
means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The
question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many
different things.” “The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to
be master—that’s all.”

--
Larry Varney
Cold Spring, KY
http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

J.Davis
November 24th 03, 02:21 PM
"Larry Varney" > wrote in message
> MLB wrote:
> >> I know that the term "sexy" is often used in advertisements, but as
> >>said earlier, I find it disheartening when normal people use the term
> >>to describe something that is so (hopefully) non-sexual.
> >

> > I think you are putting YOUR sexual conotations on others peoples ideas.
> > Most of us can use the term to describe an inatimate object while having
no
> > thoughts of sex.
> >

> >> And I hope that you're not saying that the large rear wheel of the
> >>under-discussion trike is somehow related to a "sexy woman's form".
> >>And child bearing? Just what are we sitting on, when we sit on a
> >>trike?
> >>

> > the whole point of my reply was that it doesn't have to relate to a
sexual
> > thought or idea! "NICE LINES" - get it?
>
> Yeah, I "get it". I'm applying my "sexual conotations" to the term
> "sexy". For me, it relates to something sexual. You, on the other hand,
> "use the term to describe an inatimate object while having no thought of
> sex". Fine.
>

> --
> Larry Varney
> Cold Spring, KY
> http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

My mother said that sexual is as sexual does......no, wait....that wasn't my
mother...it was Mike Jackson.....

jd

BentJay
November 24th 03, 06:54 PM
Was it Masters or Johnson who said "It's not the size of the wheel,
it's what you do with it." Wheel envy...that's a new one!

BentJay

Larry Varney
November 24th 03, 08:04 PM
BentJay wrote:
> Was it Masters or Johnson who said "It's not the size of the wheel,
> it's what you do with it." Wheel envy...that's a new one!
>
> BentJay

And now I wonder how to view the 2004 Catrike Speed, with its hollow
front axles!
But speaking of bigger wheels - I got a chance to ride (briefly) a
late-prototype Catrike Trail, which has 406's on all three wheels, has a
bit less recline, and a few other things that set it apart from the
Speed. Both do have one thing in common, though: Paulo's got them
working with about the least amount of brake steer I've encountered.
And one other thing: they're both fun to ride!

--
Larry Varney
Cold Spring, KY
http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

Hellbent Rick
November 25th 03, 10:51 PM
No, no, no!! It goes like this, "Just because you got a short drive shaft,
doen't mean you don't have a high-speed rear-end!!"

rh
"BentJay" > wrote in message
om...
> Was it Masters or Johnson who said "It's not the size of the wheel,
> it's what you do with it." Wheel envy...that's a new one!
>
> BentJay

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home