PDA

View Full Version : veggie bike tours, anyone ?

Douglas Cole
November 29th 03, 07:02 AM
Ok, I am a longtime vegan (14 years), and a short time 'bent rider/lover
(1 year).

I have been thinking about taking some time off from my life (work) and
enjoying the other part of life everyone else is talking about (play), and was
looking around on the web at some of the bike tours around the world,
there seem to be a few, but one stands out, Bicycle Beano .

Was wondering if anyone on the list has been on one of the "Beano" tours
and how did it turn out? Was the tour organized well, how was the food and
accomodations ? And of course do they handle single folks ?
I live in the USA so maybe someone from here would be better for a Yank's
perspective...
So the 'good,bad,ugly' would be great as this would be my first trip
overseas period, so I would be green from many standpoints ;^}
Also, any other tours that fit the veggie lifestyle?

How difficult is it to transport a Recumbent overseas (Burley Taiko) and
would it be better to just rent a bent (if there is such a thing over
there).

I really want to get away and play on my 'bent, and would also like to see
a country with real "history", but don't want to deal with the "language
barrier" (yup I am one of those dumb americans that only knows english).

So any input would be appreciated, even if it is just , "your nuts, stay home
and play" or "don't go there, go to New Zealand" etc...

We are snowed in up here for the next three months and I am going nuts
(can't ride), so thought I would at least start planning for next years
trip/vacation...

tia for any input

Douglas Cole
Spokane,WA

wishing I was in socal or anyplace warm...

DH
November 29th 03, 09:37 AM
The guys who bike in the rear flank of a Beano Tour, do they receive any
special compensation?

Tom Sherman
November 29th 03, 12:36 PM
DH wrote:

> The guys who bike in the rear flank of a Beano Tour, do they receive any
> special compensation?

Your sense of humor is a real gas.

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

DeVon
November 29th 03, 12:45 PM
"Douglas Cole" > wrote in message >...
> Ok, I am a longtime vegan (14 years), and a short time 'bent rider/lover
> (1 year).
>
> I have been thinking about taking some time off from my life (work) and
> enjoying the other part of life everyone else is talking about (play), and was
> looking around on the web at some of the bike tours around the world,
> there seem to be a few, but one stands out, Bicycle Beano .
>
> Was wondering if anyone on the list has been on one of the "Beano" tours
> and how did it turn out? Was the tour organized well, how was the food and
> accomodations ? And of course do they handle single folks ?
> I live in the USA so maybe someone from here would be better for a Yank's
> perspective...
>
> Also, any other tours that fit the veggie lifestyle?
>

> Douglas Cole
> Spokane,WA

I am from northern In and have never toured overseas. I also am not
vegetarian. But can still offer SOME insight into treatment of
vegetarians and single travelers on the many tours I have done in the
US.

I believe on all week-long tours I have done (9 at last count), there
have been vegetarian meal options ... I can't speak to vegan. I do
know that if I were you I would contact the tour director, ask, and
then be just a bit wary of the response. You are definitely taking
the proper approach by trying to find other vegans who have done the
tour. You might want to post this question to a "touring" board.

I say be wary of the response because I have observed a couple of
problems for vegetarians:
1) The "vegetarian" dishes appeal to some non-vegetarian eaters
causing the vegetarian food to run out on a particular meal.
2) On some tours where the evening meals are catered locally (the
norm), the menus are sometimes not coordinated from site to site, so
that veggie cyclists were stuck with spaghetti 4 nights in succession.

If I were a vegetarian on one of these tours I would: A) make sure I
knew the dinner menu before I started the day's ride ... usually there
are nearby places you can eat dinner or at least pick up some
appropriate food, and B) try to get in the front 1/2 of the meal
line.

As far as cycling solo, your comfort level depends to a large part on
your own personality and financial resources. I am married but my
wife does not do any week-long tours (tenting, perspiring, and being
physically tired are high on her avoidance list ;). I have done mostly
tent touring and find that on large tours (100 or more) people tend to
stay within smaller groups. On "large" rides (yes RABRAI, GOBA, BRAG,
et al I know 100 is not LARGE), you can usually find someone riding,
often solo, at your riding pace to ride with for a few hours at a
time, if this is your choice. Smaller tours I have personally enjoyed
more, as it has been much easier to become well-acquainted with all
the cyclists on the tour. It does mean it will be more difficult to
find a compatably-paced rider (especially since you are on a
recumbent), so you may spend more time by yourself on the day's ride.

I have often thought it would be nice for the tour to set up an
opening-night get-acquainted session for solo riders, but that has not
been my experience.

If lodging is provided, you are usually given the choice of paying a
single supplement or being assigned a "roomie". I've done this only
once and had a positive experience, but obviously one might not always
be so fortunate.

Happy touring (I obviously have enjoyed supported touring).
http://staff.goshenschools.org/dhoffman/cycling.html

November 29th 03, 12:46 PM
In Europe there is the Ecotrip which is organized by bent enthusiasts.
The food includes a vegetarian option, dunno if vegans would be happy, I
recall digesting various dairy products on this year's trip. I'd think
many bike tours can serve vegetarians. A good idea to contact them 1-2
weeks in advance, probably.

In 2004 there is an Ecotrip in UK, only it's fully booked already. For
the common info site, http://ecotrip.info/ .

Renting a bent in Europe costs something like 20-30 euros a day, it
depends on the model and usually you get a discount with a longer
period.

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html
varis at no spam please iki fi

Mikael Seierup
November 29th 03, 03:00 PM
> skrev

> Renting a bent in Europe costs something like 20-30 euros a day, it
> depends on the model and usually you get a discount with a longer
> period.

Shouldn't that be renting a bent in Holland? I only know of one or two
places here in Denmark that rents bents. And thats one bent each place AFAIK.

M.

Dean Arthur
November 30th 03, 12:26 AM
Douglas Cole wrote:

> Ok, I am a longtime vegan (14 years), and a short time 'bent rider/lover
> (1 year).
>
> Douglas Cole
> Spokane,WA
>
> wishing I was in socal or anyplace warm...

Well, why not good ol' warm Wyoming? We've had mostly plus 30 days and
only a few below zero. Pedal [quickly] or freeze! Of course, if you
pedal too quickly when the humidity is over 40% you turn into a popsicle.

Take your pick!

Dean Arthur
November 30th 03, 01:07 AM
I was a "touring fool" back in 60s - 70s in California. Mostly in
Napa-Sonoma Wine country. Made for some wonderful weekends with
girlfriends from San Mateo City College and San Jose State. Now in 60s
myself and relegated to slow traveling on BikeE being that it was all I
could afford AFTER BikeE went down the tubes and BikeEs started showing
up for 349$. Balance and muscle spasm problems are driving me off the
BikeE so am contemplating building a trike from plans in Mother Earth
News which I squirreled away against the day I couldn't stay up on two.
Wheels, that is...

Don't remember if I sent this to you or not so here goes [Not again!!]

Construction article on Mother Earth News 2F1R homebrew trike with
specs, parts list and drawings.

This article is available online at the Mother Earth News website.
Here's the link:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/menarch/archive/goto.asp?article=081/081-162-01&ID=2613&Num=4

Ken Kramer
November 30th 03, 10:39 AM
I did one of the Bicycle Beano (means celebration) tours in 2002. It was
outstanding in all respects. It was well organized and the food was top
notch. Breakfasts and dinners (with wine) were served at a home base.
Special arrangements were made with a pub on each day's route to have a
vegie selection. It was the best food I have had on any tour except for that
on Florida Safari.

Another exceptional part of the Beano tours was the knowledge of the area by
the organizers. They are native Welch folks who made their own maps and gave
daily orientation sessions on what we were to see each day. The things we
saw and the roads we traveled did not even appear on our store bought maps.

I have been on a lot of tours but the Beano tour was the most interesting
one by far. The price was very reasonable.

I looked into renting a bent over there but the rental service had only two
old clunkers at an outragous price. I ended up buying and taking a bike Sat
R Day which worked out very well. (Make sure whatever bike you ride has
fenders (mudguards they call them) because we rode on some roads on which
the locals herd their cows and sheep. Interesting but messy.) Getting your
bent from the airport to the starting point will be the biggest problem. We
rented a car.

I hope you can do one of these tours. It will be worth it.

November 30th 03, 04:34 PM
Mikael Seierup > wrote:

: > skrev

:> Renting a bent in Europe costs something like 20-30 euros a day, it
:> depends on the model and usually you get a discount with a longer
:> period.

: Shouldn't that be renting a bent in Holland? I only know of one or two
: places here in Denmark that rents bents. And thats one bent each place AFAIK.

Well ok... .nl has plenty of those places and I know the price
range there pretty well so I guess it applies... would expect
similar prices in other parts (maybe some places not as cheap),
but of course you have to find the place first...

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html
varis at no spam please iki fi

Douglas Cole
November 30th 03, 05:41 PM
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 04:45:54 -0800, DeVon wrote:

> "Douglas Cole" > wrote in message >...
>> Ok, I am a longtime vegan (14 years), and a short time 'bent rider/lover
>> (1 year).
>>
>> I have been thinking about taking some time off from my life (work) and
>> enjoying the other part of life everyone else is talking about (play), and was
>> looking around on the web at some of the bike tours around the world,
>> there seem to be a few, but one stands out, Bicycle Beano .
>>
>> Was wondering if anyone on the list has been on one of the "Beano" tours
>> and how did it turn out? Was the tour organized well, how was the food and
>> accomodations ? And of course do they handle single folks ?
>> I live in the USA so maybe someone from here would be better for a Yank's
>> perspective...
>>
>> Also, any other tours that fit the veggie lifestyle?
>>

>> Douglas Cole
>> Spokane,WA
>>

> I am from northern In and have never toured overseas. I also am not
> vegetarian. But can still offer SOME insight into treatment of
> vegetarians and single travelers on the many tours I have done in the
> US.
>
> I believe on all week-long tours I have done (9 at last count), there
> have been vegetarian meal options ... I can't speak to vegan. I do
> know that if I were you I would contact the tour director, ask, and
> then be just a bit wary of the response. You are definitely taking
> the proper approach by trying to find other vegans who have done the
> tour. You might want to post this question to a "touring" board.

This is something I didn't think of, I will try the touring board as well,
just to increase my 'exposure'.
I am used to 'translating' someones response when I ask veggie questions,
since some folks consider themselves veggie even though they eat chicken
and fish , so you are right in that respect.

> I say be wary of the response because I have observed a couple of
> problems for vegetarians:
> 1) The "vegetarian" dishes appeal to some non-vegetarian eaters
> causing the vegetarian food to run out on a particular meal.

This is common too in other activities that I have done, non-veggie folks
end up realizing that we eat well and want to enjoy it too ;^}

> 2) On some tours where the evening meals are catered locally (the
> norm), the menus are sometimes not coordinated from site to site, so
> that veggie cyclists were stuck with spaghetti 4 nights in succession.

Yup. that and steamed veggies etc are no surpirse to me, I have had some
restaurants whip some pretty creative things sometimes though, if you ask
them ...

> If I were a vegetarian on one of these tours I would: A) make sure I
> knew the dinner menu before I started the day's ride ... usually there
> are nearby places you can eat dinner or at least pick up some
> appropriate food, and B) try to get in the front 1/2 of the meal
> line.

Good input, I am so used to fending for myself when I have traveled in the
US and Canada that I would assume it will be similar overseas

> As far as cycling solo, your comfort level depends to a large part on
> your own personality and financial resources. I am married but my
> wife does not do any week-long tours (tenting, perspiring, and being
> physically tired are high on her avoidance list ;). I have done mostly
> tent touring and find that on large tours (100 or more) people tend to
> stay within smaller groups. On "large" rides (yes RABRAI, GOBA, BRAG,
> et al I know 100 is not LARGE), you can usually find someone riding,
> often solo, at your riding pace to ride with for a few hours at a
> time, if this is your choice. Smaller tours I have personally enjoyed
> more, as it has been much easier to become well-acquainted with all
> the cyclists on the tour. It does mean it will be more difficult to
> find a compatably-paced rider (especially since you are on a
> recumbent), so you may spend more time by yourself on the day's ride.

This will be my first group ride and first trip overseas, so maybe I
should do a group ride in the states here first ?
Riding with someone else is not necessary, as I do alot of biking solo
normally anyway. But it will be great to be a part of an organized ride just
for the sheer fun of it.

> I have often thought it would be nice for the tour to set up an
> opening-night get-acquainted session for solo riders, but that has not
> been my experience.

Thats unfortunate, but I suppose if the tour is really big then it would
be hard to do with a large group of people (maybe not)...

> If lodging is provided, you are usually given the choice of paying a
> single supplement or being assigned a "roomie". I've done this only
> once and had a positive experience, but obviously one might not always
> be so fortunate.

Roomies are fine, I am easy that way, but I do snore (well my last
girlfriend says so anyway) so earplugs will have to be optional ;^}

> Happy touring (I obviously have enjoyed supported touring).
> http://staff.goshenschools.org/dhoffman/cycling.html

Thanks for taking time to reply !

Doug

November 30th 03, 05:54 PM
wrote:
: In Europe there is the Ecotrip which is organized by bent enthusiasts.
: The food includes a vegetarian option, dunno if vegans would be happy, I

Actually on the Dutch Ecotrip this year, the veggie option was the
only one... or... all options were veggie...

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html
varis at no spam please iki fi

Douglas Cole
November 30th 03, 07:15 PM
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 12:46:48 +0000, risto.varank wrote:

> In Europe there is the Ecotrip which is organized by bent enthusiasts.
> The food includes a vegetarian option, dunno if vegans would be happy, I
> recall digesting various dairy products on this year's trip. I'd think
> many bike tours can serve vegetarians. A good idea to contact them 1-2
> weeks in advance, probably.
>
> In 2004 there is an Ecotrip in UK, only it's fully booked already. For
> the common info site, http://ecotrip.info/ .
>
> Renting a bent in Europe costs something like 20-30 euros a day, it
> depends on the model and usually you get a discount with a longer
> period.

Thanks for the input Risto, I was not aware of the ecotrip and will
consider it in 2005 .
As far as the dairy issues, that is something I have to deal with all the
time so am fairly used to asking about ingredients or just plain bringing my own food (or
foraging at the local grocery shops)...

I have been on a few long distance hikes where we carried alot of gear in
on our backs, but that didn't include carrying a bicycle on my back :^)
Have to start tearing my bike down and putting it back together so I can
get the hang of packing it.

Thanks again for the input !

Doug

John Foltz
December 2nd 03, 01:16 AM
Douglas Cole wrote:

> This is common too in other activities that I have done,
> non-veggie folks end up realizing that we eat well and want to
> enjoy it too ;^}

Well, duh! Being an omnivore means you're allowed to like stuff
without meat, too. :-) We're all evolved from hunter-gatherers. Some
of us are more hunter-type, some are more gatherer. I agree that
finding food on a tour can be a real problem for herbivores among us.
--

John Foltz --- O _
Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24 --- _\\/\-%)

Douglas Cole
December 2nd 03, 03:18 PM
On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 20:16:42 -0500, John Foltz wrote:

> Douglas Cole wrote:
>

>> This is common too in other activities that I have done, non-veggie
>> folks end up realizing that we eat well and want to enjoy it too ;^}
>>
> Well, duh! Being an omnivore means you're allowed to like stuff without
> meat, too. :-) We're all evolved from hunter-gatherers. Some of us are
> more hunter-type, some are more gatherer. I agree that finding food on a
> tour can be a real problem for herbivores among us.

Just to clarify what I meant by that, most carnivores/omnivores I have met
over the years will exclaim when they find out I am a vegetarian (sorry
vegan doesn't register on most folks radar) "well what do you eat!?!",
"where do you get your protein!?!". "Your diet must be pretty boring" and
other similar exclamations of incredulity, and once they see some of the
things I eat (when I bring some goodies for lunch to work/potluck etc)
they realize that it is alot more interesting then just overcooked veggies
and toast... And then they want some, and thats when I get to hook 'em ;^}

Not that this has anything to do with recumbents...

on we go

Doug

JEGARH
December 2nd 03, 03:46 PM
Dh wrote:
> The guys who bike in the rear flank of a Beano Tour, do they receive any
> special compensation?

No, they are treated the same except for the "no open fires"
restriction.

Jerry

--

Dean Arthur
December 5th 03, 02:50 AM
Ken Kramer wrote:

> Another exceptional part of the Beano tours was the knowledge of the area by
> the organizers. They are native Welch folks who made their own maps and gave
> daily orientation sessions on what we were to see each day.

Welch - as in Welch's Grape Juice?

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home