PDA

View Full Version : Recent recumbent experiences and related

Lars S. Mulford
November 30th 03, 03:08 PM
Howdy folks!

Boy, things sure do seem rather negatively spirited in this newsgroup of
late. I hope that this is a cyclical thing and it goes away on its own. It
makes an environment where people get turned off and don't want to post. At
any rate, I just wanted to wish everyone happy holidays! No matter how bad
things get, life is still good and is the neatest game in town. We had a
saying growing up that life is like playing a game of cards, and that you've
only got two rules that are non-negotiable. One, you can't fold. Two, you
must play the hand you're dealt. We may get a crappy hand now and again,
but for me anyway, I'm just as happy to still be at the table and in the
game!

Some recumbent thoughts I'd like to pass along:

Yesterday, my youngest daughter (10) accompanied me to the bikeshop where I
bought my Tour Easy SS XL and my wifes EZ-1 Lite. While I was buying some
things, she got the chance to ride a bunch of different recumbents. Did I
think she'd enjoy them? Sure. Did I think she would become passionately
hooked on them like her old man? No, but that is what happened! I
literally had to pull her off the bikes (after 3 hours of solid riding with
no letup in sight) so we could go home. (The bikeshop is almost 200 miles
from our home, so we had travel and traffic to face on the way home.) At
any rate, she rode an Evox 140, a Wizwheelz Terratrike 3.4, and an EZ-1
Lite. She liked the look of the Evox 140 but didn't care much for the seat.
She loved the trike and the EZ-1 Lite. She ended up riding the EZ-1 Lite
more than anything else. We're thinking of getting her an EZ-1 for
Christmas. She said that she was more comfortable on it than on the trike.
The missus and I are considering it but want to make sure that this is a
bike that she can really "grow" with, as she is already as tall as my 15 yr
old daughter and is still growing! (While mom is short, dad is 6'7" and has
4 other brothers, none who are under 6'4" and one who is 7'.) So, I just
wanted to share that there is a real chance that the 'bent ranks will quite
possibly gain another trooper this Christmas, a young one with a real zeal
and passion for 'benting.

I'd also like to pass along some updates about my heavier friend, the one
who had never ridden a bike and is committed to learning to ride and losing
weight. I took him to the bikeshop a few weeks back and the guys at the
shop put him on uprights and rollers to get him a "feel" for pedaling. They
also put him on a recumbent in rollers for the same thing. He tried several
trikes and really did well with the EZ-3 AL. The good news? He did
actually ride a recumbent! He rode about 100 yds, but that is a start. He
has already said that his bike purchase will be a recumbent, because it is
much more comfortable for him. I thought it would be, but not for the
reasons he mentioned. I was thinking about his back and whatnot... It
turns out that the upright position hunches him over to the point that he
does not breathe as freely as when he is in the recumbent position and
leaning back. I hadn't thought about that, but that is a plus for the
recumbents, I'd reckon. He did not go home with a recumbent, but plans to
get one in February or March of 2004. Once again, thanks to everyone on
here who had wonderful suggestions. You'll be happy to know that almost
every one of them were deployed in getting my friend to the point where he
could actually ride for a bit!

Another update for you, and this one is about my wife. She's the lady who
is blind in her left eye. We've still not had any real solutions. I bought
quite a few mirrors and tried to see if when we mount them on her glasses or
helmet, if she could use her right eye to see the mirror on the left. All
the mirrors do not extend far enough out to where she could use her right
eye to see things on the left with a mirror mounted on the left. We tried
mounting them on the right and just having her turn her head a bit to the
right to see things behind and to the left, but that hasn't been very
successful either. Either she has to turn her head a good deal to make it
work (which makes her nervous) or she still can't see things on her left,
especially close to her left. I'm not giving up finding a solution for her;
I know there has got to be a simple and intuitive fix.

Some lighting comments! I've been using a Cateye EL-300 as my headlight and
a Vistalite vertical blinker on the rear of my Tour Easy and I've been very
pleased with the amount of light the EL-300 throws out. I have it mounted
behind my fairing and it shines through the fairing with no issues. A nice
and unintended feature is that it reflects a small portion of light down,
lighting up the fairing somewhat which illuminates my bike computer nicely!
There is no reflected light directed backward and the EL-300 is amazingly
powerful for it's size. I liked it so much that I bought another and now
use two for headlights. I also have two Vistalite vertical blinkers on the
back now. In addition to the two EL-300s up front, I also have a Cateye
EL-400 mounted underneath on the stem and set it to blinking mode when I
ride. The end result is that I've got plenty of light to extend my riding
from dusk to into the night. I don't ride on the roads much, mostly in my
large development. I am amazed at how much light these LEDs produce.

I reckon that's about it for now. Again, happy holidays to everyone!

--
"Sea" ya!
--Lars S. Mulford

Tom Sherman
November 30th 03, 05:57 PM
"Lars S. Mulford" wrote:

> Howdy folks!
>
> Boy, things sure do seem rather negatively spirited in this newsgroup of
> late. I hope that this is a cyclical thing and it goes away on its own. It
> makes an environment where people get turned off and don't want to post. At
> any rate, I just wanted to wish everyone happy holidays! No matter how bad
> things get, life is still good and is the neatest game in town. We had a
> saying growing up that life is like playing a game of cards, and that you've
> only got two rules that are non-negotiable. One, you can't fold. Two, you
> must play the hand you're dealt. We may get a crappy hand now and again,
> but for me anyway, I'm just as happy to still be at the table and in the
> game!...

Yes, but the game is rigged.

Tom Sherman - Curmudgeon

Lars S. Mulford
November 30th 03, 07:53 PM
Howdy Tom:

The game isn't rigged, you just need to pay closer attention. Scoot your
chair up closer to the table!

--

"Tom Sherman" > wrote in message

> Yes, but the game is rigged.
> Tom Sherman - Curmudgeon

tom
December 1st 03, 01:15 AM
"Lars S. Mulford" > wrote in message >...
> Howdy Tom:
>
> The game isn't rigged, you just need to pay closer attention. Scoot your
> chair up closer to the table!
>
> --
> "Sea" ya!
> --Lars S. Mulford
> "You can find evil anywhere you look.
> The question is, why are you looking?"
>
> "Tom Sherman" > wrote in message
>
> > Yes, but the game is rigged.
> > Tom Sherman - Curmudgeon

Hi Lars,

You might want to check out the rear vision helmet that is on the market.

site: reevu.com (lots of pull down menus)

I bought one from England last year and still find it works better
than all of the rear view mirrors i've tried to use on my Vision uss bike.

Tom H visions r40 and r50 uss

ps this is the English distributor I ordered from, easy to work with.

www.kinetics-online.co.uk
NEW ADDRESS: 54 Switchback Road,
Bearsden, Glasgow G61 1AE
tel/fax: +44 (0)141 942 2552

Dan Burkhart
December 1st 03, 01:48 AM
Lars S. Mulford wrote:
> [...]
> portion of light down, lighting up the fairing somewhat which
> illuminates my bike computer nicely! There is no reflected light
> directed backward and the EL-300 is amazingly powerful for it's size. I
> liked it so much that I bought another and now use two for headlights. I
> also have two Vistalite vertical blinkers on the back now. In addition
> to the two EL-300s up front, I also have a Cateye EL-400 mounted
> underneath on the stem and set it to blinking mode when I ride. The end
> result is that I've got plenty of light to extend my riding from dusk to
> into the night. I don't ride on the roads much, mostly in my large
> development. I am amazed at how much light these LEDs produce.
> I reckon that's about it for now. Again, happy holidays to everyone!
> --
> "Sea" ya! --Lars S. Mulford "You can find evil anywhere you look. The

Two headlights is a good idea any time as it gives other road users a
better perspective of the range from their position to yours.

--

John Foltz
December 1st 03, 02:16 AM
Tom Sherman wrote:

> Yes, but the game is rigged.

A college instructor used to tell us that the business world was
like a game - it was easy enough to win but you had to learn the
rules and then use them to your advantage. The ones that call that
'kissing up,' are the ones that never understood the rules.
--

John Foltz --- O _
Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24 --- _\\/\-%)

Tom Sherman
December 1st 03, 05:17 AM
John Foltz wrote:

> Tom Sherman wrote:
>

> > Yes, but the game is rigged.
> >
> A college instructor used to tell us that the business world was
> like a game - it was easy enough to win but you had to learn the
> rules and then use them to your advantage. The ones that call that
> 'kissing up,' are the ones that never understood the rules.

Exactly why it is immoral to run a government like a business.

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

"There is enough in the world for everyone's need; there is not enough
for everyone's greed." - Mohandas Gandhi

Lars S. Mulford
December 1st 03, 10:33 PM
Howdy Dan:

I agree with you. I also enjoy the wider field of light. I've really been
pleased with these EL-300s.

--

"Dan Burkhart" > wrote in message
> Two headlights is a good idea any time as it gives other road users a
> better perspective of the range from their position to yours.

Lars S. Mulford
December 1st 03, 10:36 PM
Howdy Tom:

I've read a bit about them but admittedly didn't give them a ton of thought,
as my concern would be that she'd have a great view of the immediate back of
the bike. From what I see on the website, the view is better than I
thought. I've been waiting to hear from other riders who have them so I can
have some real time grit on just how well they work or don't. Do you get
any distortion in the view?

--
"Sea" ya!
--Lars S. Mulford
"You can find evil anywhere you look.
The question is, why are you looking?"

"tom" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi Lars,
>
> You might want to check out the rear vision helmet that is on the market.
>
> site: reevu.com (lots of pull down menus)
>
> I bought one from England last year and still find it works better
> than all of the rear view mirrors i've tried to use on my Vision uss bike.
>
> Tom H visions r40 and r50 uss

> ps this is the English distributor I ordered from, easy to work with.
>
> www.kinetics-online.co.uk
> NEW ADDRESS: 54 Switchback Road,
> Bearsden, Glasgow G61 1AE
> tel/fax: +44 (0)141 942 2552

Lars S. Mulford
December 1st 03, 10:39 PM
Howdy John!

I had a college prof who said something similar, but added that if you quit
playing established games and created your own, you'd be that much better.
I remember at the time wondering if he meant that we should "invent" an
entirely new type of game, or simply begin a new game of same to what was
being played around us... I think he may have actually meant both.
--

"John Foltz" > wrote in message

> A college instructor used to tell us that the business world was
> like a game - it was easy enough to win but you had to learn the
> rules and then use them to your advantage. The ones that call that
> 'kissing up,' are the ones that never understood the rules.
> --
>
> John Foltz --- O _
> Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24 --- _\\/\-%)
> _________(_)`=()___________________(_)= (_)_____

Lars S. Mulford
December 1st 03, 10:45 PM
Howdy Tom:

Is the opposite also true? Is it immoral to run a business like government?
I know several local small business owners who jokingly say that they (and
other folks like them) could make a real impact on running state and local
governments, IF the same rules that applied to running small businesses and
whatnot were applied equally to running government. I never really gave it
a ton of thought until now, but it is an interesting thing to ponder...

Not completely to turn attention back to my original note, but can I get
some feedback on some of the recumbent comments I made in the original post?
Specifically, I'm really interested in hearing some ideas for helping my
wife to be able to see things on her left side. Also, I'd love to hear some
more lighting feedback and perhaps a comment or two about my heavy friend
and his riding experience (first time!), as well as my youngest young'n
perhaps joining our ranks?

--
"Sea" ya!
--Lars S. Mulford
"You can find evil anywhere you look.
The question is, why are you looking?"

"Tom Sherman" > wrote in message
> Exactly why it is immoral to run a government like a business.
>
> Tom Sherman - Planet Earth
>
> "There is enough in the world for everyone's need; there is not enough
> for everyone's greed." - Mohandas Gandhi

December 2nd 03, 12:18 AM
Lars S. Mulford > wrote:
: Specifically, I'm really interested in hearing some ideas for helping my
: wife to be able to see things on her left side. Also, I'd love to hear some

Recently there was an article by a cyclist who is almost totally
blind and has very little function in one of the legs. You might
find a reference to the article in the IHPVA trikes mailing list
archives from something like 2-3 months back maybe. Look for
topics like "one legged pedalling".

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html
varis at no spam please iki fi

John Foltz
December 2nd 03, 01:02 AM
Lars S. Mulford wrote:

> Not completely to turn attention back to my original note, but
can I get
> some feedback on some of the recumbent comments I made in the original post?
> Specifically, I'm really interested in hearing some ideas for helping my
> wife to be able to see things on her left side. Also, I'd love to hear some
> more lighting feedback and perhaps a comment or two about my heavy friend
> and his riding experience (first time!), as well as my youngest young'n
> perhaps joining our ranks?

My suggestion would be a handlebar-end mirror. It might require an
adapter bracket or something for USS (don't remember what kind of
bike,) but you use both eyes with one, or in this case it's
accessible by the right eye at least.

I can't help much with lighting, the only bike of mine with a
headlight is my DF hybrid commuter. It has a Cateye EL300, which I
like, especially for the long run time. But my roads are *dark* and
mostly devoid of traffic.

--

John Foltz --- O _
Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24 --- _\\/\-%)

John Foltz
December 2nd 03, 01:03 AM
Lars S. Mulford wrote:

> Howdy John!
>
> I had a college prof who said something similar, but added that if you quit
> playing established games and created your own, you'd be that much better.
> I remember at the time wondering if he meant that we should "invent" an
> entirely new type of game, or simply begin a new game of same to what was
> being played around us... I think he may have actually meant both.

Well, the odds always favor the dealer, so if you can be the dealer,
go for it!!!
--

John Foltz --- O _
Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24 --- _\\/\-%)

Tom Sherman
December 2nd 03, 01:13 AM
"Lars S. Mulford" wrote:

> Howdy Tom:
>
> Is the opposite also true? Is it immoral to run a business like government?...

I would see nothing wrong in running a business in the way a government
SHOULD be run - maximizing the common good of all involved in the
enterprise, (as opposed to the holders of capital exploiting the workers
who are responsible for the added value that makes the business viable.

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

"There is enough in the world for everyone's need; there is not enough
for everyone's greed." - Mohandas Gandhi

Edward Dolan
December 2nd 03, 03:28 PM
Tom Sherman > wrote in message >...

> "Lars S. Mulford" wrote:
> >
> > Howdy folks!
> >
> > Boy, things sure do seem rather negatively spirited in this newsgroup of
> > late. I hope that this is a cyclical thing and it goes away on its own. It
> > makes an environment where people get turned off and don't want to post. At
> > any rate, I just wanted to wish everyone happy holidays! No matter how bad
> > things get, life is still good and is the neatest game in town. We had a
> > saying growing up that life is like playing a game of cards, and that you've
> > only got two rules that are non-negotiable. One, you can't fold. Two, you
> > must play the hand you're dealt. We may get a crappy hand now and again,
> > but for me anyway, I'm just as happy to still be at the table and in the
> > game!...
>
> Yes, but the game is rigged.

Don't pay any attention to this asshole. He is a permanent malcontent
and we all have his number on ARBR.

It is posts like yours that refresh this newsgroup. Without them we
would all die of terminable boredom. Keep posting and do not pay any
attention to assholes like Mr. Sherman. Leave the likes of him to me.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Diane Krohn
December 2nd 03, 04:19 PM
Hi Lars,

I have limited vision in my left eye also. A handle bar end mirror has
always worked for me (both on an upright bike and on the GRR). I tried a
helmet mirror with no success. You just can't get the right angle, no
mattter what side the mirror is on.

Diane (and Wayne)
RANS Screamer, GRR, Haluzak Horizon
> [...]
> and unintended feature is that it reflects a small portion of light down,
> lighting up the fairing somewhat which illuminates my bike computer
nicely!
> There is no reflected light directed backward and the EL-300 is amazingly
> powerful for it's size. I liked it so much that I bought another and now
> use two for headlights. I also have two Vistalite vertical blinkers on
the
> back now. In addition to the two EL-300s up front, I also have a Cateye
> EL-400 mounted underneath on the stem and set it to blinking mode when I
> ride. The end result is that I've got plenty of light to extend my riding
> from dusk to into the night. I don't ride on the roads much, mostly in my
> large development. I am amazed at how much light these LEDs produce.
>
> I reckon that's about it for now. Again, happy holidays to everyone!

December 2nd 03, 05:17 PM
Tom Sherman > wrote in message >...

> "Lars S. Mulford" wrote:
> >
> > Howdy Tom:
> >
> > Is the opposite also true? Is it immoral to run a business like government?...
>
> I would see nothing wrong in running a business in the way a government
> SHOULD be run - maximizing the common good of all involved in the
> enterprise, (as opposed to the holders of capital exploiting the workers
> who are responsible for the added value that makes the business viable.

All government agencies are run according to their annual budgets
which allow for so much expenditure. They will always spend to the
maximum of their budget allowed. Many businesses also operate
according to this system. It is a lousy system.

You accord too much weight to the the "workers" and not enough to the
capital which makes it all possible. But that is ever the mistake of
liberal socialists who think all value inheres in labor. Labor is only
worth so much and no more (a truism for sure).

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Edward Dolan
December 3rd 03, 03:10 PM
Tom Sherman > wrote in message >...

> "Lars S. Mulford" wrote:
> >
> > Howdy Tom:
> >
> > Is the opposite also true? Is it immoral to run a business like government?...
>
> I would see nothing wrong in running a business in the way a government
> SHOULD be run - maximizing the common good of all involved in the
> enterprise, (as opposed to the holders of capital exploiting the workers
> who are responsible for the added value that makes the business viable.

All government agencies are run according to their annual budgets
which allow for so much expenditure. They will always spend to the
maximum of their budget allowed. Many businesses also operate
according to this system. It is a lousy system.

You accord too much weight to the "workers" and not enough to the
capital which makes it all possible. But that is ever the mistake of
liberal socialists who think all value inheres in labor. Labor is only
worth so much and no more (a truism for sure).

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

December 3rd 03, 03:57 PM
Edward Dolan > wrote:

: Don't pay any attention to this asshole. He is a permanent malcontent
: and we all have his number on ARBR.

: It is posts like yours that refresh this newsgroup. Without them we
: would all die of terminable boredom. Keep posting and do not pay any
: attention to assholes like Mr. Sherman. Leave the likes of him to me.

It's sad that our little sandbox is becoming a flame yard like the
other cycling related newsgroups.

You people really want to end up in a killfile?

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html
varis at no spam please iki fi

Jon Meinecke
December 3rd 03, 06:07 PM
> wrote in message
>
> It's sad that our little sandbox is becoming a flame yard like the
> other cycling related newsgroups.

Sadly, it's seemingly Mr. D.'s Andy Warhol moment.

He should be aware that vulgar/offensive/abusive language in
his posts may violate the acceptible use policy of his ISP.
http://www.prairiewave.com/forms/aup.htm
- Report Internet abuse situations.

> You people really want to end up in a killfile?

Make his/their day.

Jon

hmiller
December 3rd 03, 09:58 PM
Hi Lars:

Your wife might think of trying a Reevu helmet, It has a full rear
view mirror ducted to the front visor.
http://www.reevu.com/
(Somewhere I picked up that tidbit today)
Regards
From Ottawa
Harvey

"Lars S. Mulford" > wrote in message >...

> Another update for you, and this one is about my wife. She's the lady who
> is blind in her left eye. We've still not had any real solutions. I bought
> quite a few mirrors and tried to see if when we mount them on her glasses or
> helmet, if she could use her right eye to see the mirror on the left. All
> the mirrors do not extend far enough out to where she could use her right
> eye to see things on the left with a mirror mounted on the left. We tried
> mounting them on the right and just having her turn her head a bit to the
> right to see things behind and to the left, but that hasn't been very
> successful either. Either she has to turn her head a good deal to make it
> work (which makes her nervous) or she still can't see things on her left,
> especially close to her left. I'm not giving up finding a solution for her;
> I know there has got to be a simple and intuitive fix.

Mark Leuck
December 3rd 03, 11:06 PM
"hmiller" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi Lars:
>
> Your wife might think of trying a Reevu helmet, It has a full rear
> view mirror ducted to the front visor.
> http://www.reevu.com/
> (Somewhere I picked up that tidbit today)
> Regards
> From Ottawa
> Harvey

Someone posted in the past that the problem with the Reevu with recumbents
was because of the riders more upright head position the mirrors ended up
giving a great view of the ground behind them

Eddie H
December 4th 03, 05:44 AM
Can anyone tell me what an "Edward Dolan" is and what vaccine works
best to prevent its outbreak? Do something worthwhile with your
life....

Edward Dolan
December 4th 03, 03:50 PM
"Jon Meinecke" > wrote in message >...

> > wrote in message
> >
> > It's sad that our little sandbox is becoming a flame yard like the
> > other cycling related newsgroups.
>
> Sadly, it's seemingly Mr. D.'s Andy Warhol moment.
>
> He should be aware that vulgar/offensive/abusive language in
> his posts may violate the acceptible use policy of his ISP.
> http://www.prairiewave.com/forms/aup.htm
> - Report Internet abuse situations.
>
> > You people really want to end up in a killfile?
>
> Make his/their day.
>
> Jon

Old fuss budget Jon Meinecke is at it again. This newsgroup is
seemingly replete with jerks and morons. I will put my posts up
against any of those of the imbecilic liberals any day of the week.
All this bother about ISP's is totally ridiculous. Jon and his ilk are
Nazis of course and would like to dictate to the rest of us how we
should post. Screw them all the way to hell and back! Those of you who
value freedom of speech will know what to think about these despicable
liberals.

Jon is ever the scoundrel and is worthy of nothing but our utmost
contempt. What a screwed up dunderhead he is! If I were ever to kill
file anyone he would be first on my list. But I will never give him
that satisfaction. No, I will read his pathetic posts until hell
freezes over no matter how much he nauseates me with his despicable
liberal sentiments. I will always be here for him and to show him up
for the coward and scoundrel that he is.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Zippy the Pinhead
December 4th 03, 03:54 PM
On 4 Dec 2003 07:50:34 -0800, (Edward Dolan) wrote:

>. Jon and his ilk are
>Nazis of course and would like to dictate to the rest of us how we
>should post. Screw them all the way to hell and back!

Not even with your dick.

Edward Dolan
December 4th 03, 04:53 PM
wrote in message >...
[...]

> It's sad that our little sandbox is becoming a flame yard like the
> other cycling related newsgroups.
>
> You people really want to end up in a killfile?

Yes, I do, if it means that I do not have to answer every liberal
stupidity that is posted on this newsgroup with a comeback from the
original dunce. You can see what that leads to. The posts just get
dumber and dumber. This way, if I am in their kill files, I will be
able to answer their stupid posts and they will not know what I have
said about their posts and about them. Like ostriches, they will have
their heads stuck in the ground (deaf and dumb) and I will be kicking
their elevated sorry asses. The way I see it, I win and they lose.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Jon Meinecke
December 4th 03, 05:32 PM
"Edward Dolan" > wrote
> Jon and his ilk are Nazis

This is malicious slander and may be actionable.
I expect a full public apology and retraction forthwith.

In the meantime, I hereby invoke Goodwin's Law:

Professor Ralph Goodwin [...] noticed that
newsgroup discussions which continued for a long time
tended to degrade.

He postulated the following: As the length of a newsgroup
thread grows, the probability approaches unity of some
participant using the term "Hitler" or "Nazi". The party
who first uses such terms is immediately declared the
loser of the thread and discussion stops at that point.

> [Jon] of course and would like to dictate to the rest
> of us how we should post.

I have done no such thing. It is, of course, Mr. D's own
ISP's acceptable use policy that must be his concern.
Readers make their own decisions whether Mr.
Dolan's posts warrant appropriate complaint.

http://www.prairiewave.com/forms/aup.htm
- Report Internet abuse situations.

By posting through Google, he has also agreed to
their terms:

http://groups.google.com/googlegroups/posting_terms.html

Jon Meinecke

Lars S. Mulford
December 4th 03, 07:15 PM
Man alive folks:

I can't believe that this thread started with me actually having the
audacity to share a precious moment, where my 10 yr old daughter rode a
recumbent for the first time and became enamored with it... Where have we
gone astray here? Did NO ONE read my initial note? The ones that did and
posted helpful comments, I thank you!

While the newsgroup may be chock full o' liberal and conservative volleys
and broadsides, there still exists within here a legion of folks who
actually read the notes to find content regarding recumbent biking and the
joys that coincide with it. I read what interests me and tune out the rest.

Life's too short to be spent at a keyboard firing off mean spirited comments
here and there. There's riding to be done! Get out and ride! I bet if
half the people who write in grossly negative ways on here could actually
meet the people to which they take aim, perhaps folks would be singing
different tunes. Everyone's a big shot behind the monitor, where distance
and to some extent a cloak of anonymity exists. That kind of stuff matters
little in the big scheme of things. If you're big enough to type it, you
should be big enough to back up your words. That's the problem though -
folks don't have to back up their words here and you get these silly and
inane flame wars that cycle throughout the year. I wonder how many of the
negative posters on here would continue to do so if they actually had to
meet face to face with the folks they continued to broadside? Not all
bikers are 5'9" and 160lbs.

I'll continue to post on here with recumbent and related material. How
about others doing same?

--
"Sea" ya!
--Lars S. Mulford
"You can find evil anywhere you look.
The question is, why are you looking?"

bg
December 5th 03, 12:39 AM
Jon,
My apologies for top post.
Don't you get it? Ed doesn't give a crap about anything but folks
responding to his posts. He's likely playing with himself while he reads
any response, including this one.
bg

Jon Meinecke wrote:

> "Edward Dolan" > wrote
> > Jon and his ilk are Nazis
>
> This is malicious slander and may be actionable.
> I expect a full public apology and retraction forthwith.
>
> In the meantime, I hereby invoke Goodwin's Law:
>
> Professor Ralph Goodwin [...] noticed that
> newsgroup discussions which continued for a long time
> tended to degrade.
>
> He postulated the following: As the length of a newsgroup
> thread grows, the probability approaches unity of some
> participant using the term "Hitler" or "Nazi". The party
> who first uses such terms is immediately declared the
> loser of the thread and discussion stops at that point.
>
> > [Jon] of course and would like to dictate to the rest
> > of us how we should post.
>
> I have done no such thing. It is, of course, Mr. D's own
> ISP's acceptable use policy that must be his concern.
> Readers make their own decisions whether Mr.
> Dolan's posts warrant appropriate complaint.
>
> http://www.prairiewave.com/forms/aup.htm
> - Report Internet abuse situations.
>
> By posting through Google, he has also agreed to
> their terms:
>
> http://groups.google.com/googlegroups/posting_terms.html
>

> Jon Meinecke

Dean Arthur
December 5th 03, 02:56 AM
Looks like a lovely young woman pedaling Mother's Trike in the photos.
Maybe a perfect fit [and cost] for daughter!

The Mother Earth News March-April '83 Issue #81 has 2F1R trike building
article at

file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/deanarthur/Desktop/%27bent%20Trikes/TMEN%20Recumbent/%22CUT-RATE%22%20RECUMBENT%20

details building a 65.00 [1983 dollars] 2F1R trike with an absolute
minimum of hand tools and a parts list with price of each individual part.

Edward Dolan
December 5th 03, 06:06 AM
"Jon Meinecke" > wrote in message >...

> "Edward Dolan" > wrote

> > Jon and his ilk are Nazis
>
> This is malicious slander and may be actionable.
> I expect a full public apology and retraction forthwith.

You ACT like a Nazi because you do not like to be disagreed with. I
could tell that from the first day we ever had an exchange of posts.
But I do appreciate the way you pick up on my every allusion. I try to
keep them simple so you won't miss them and have an opportunity to
show what you are made of to all the other liberal idiots on this
newsgroup. The only thing I have to apologize for is the misalignment
of the planets that ever brought me into conjunction with you in the
first place. If you want something actionable I suggest you kick
yourself in the buttocks. That might do some good because that is
where your brains are located.

Also, why don't you and Barry (GeoB) get together. He is another
liberal asshole idiot who blathers on about ISP's, apologies, and
actionable. The two of you could commiserate together.

> In the meantime, I hereby invoke Goodwin's Law:
>
> Professor Ralph Goodwin [...] noticed that
> newsgroup discussions which continued for a long time
> tended to degrade.
>
> He postulated the following: As the length of a newsgroup
> thread grows, the probability approaches unity of some
> participant using the term "Hitler" or "Nazi". The party
> who first uses such terms is immediately declared the
> loser of the thread and discussion stops at that point.

We are all familiar with Godwin's Law. That is why I called you a
Nazi, so you would pick up on it and hopefully shut up. But no such
luck. You go on and on forever with the unique ability never to say
anything of substance. But that must take talent too, so you must
therefore be a talented idiot.

> > [Jon] of course and would like to dictate to the rest
> > of us how we should post.
>
> I have done no such thing.

That is exactly what you are doing. You do not like my style and more
importantly you do not like the substance of what I post. That is too
bad for you because my contempt for you is total. Your appeal to all
the other liberal jackasses is pathetic - the hallmark of a cry baby.
Why don't you check the protocols of your ISP and find out if there is
anything in there that says anything about being a cry baby and being
a pathetic sorry loser.

> It is, of course, Mr. D's own
> ISP's acceptable use policy that must be his concern.
> Readers make their own decisions whether Mr.
> Dolan's posts warrant appropriate complaint.

Complain away like the cry baby you are. Try to get a certain quality
of whine in your tone too while you are at it so the rest of the world
will know who they are dealing with.

> http://www.prairiewave.com/forms/aup.htm
> - Report Internet abuse situations.
>
> By posting through Google, he has also agreed to
> their terms:
>
> http://groups.google.com/googlegroups/posting_terms.html

I am in full compliance with all terms anywhere in this land of free
speech. But old Jon here does not like free speech for anyone except
himself. That is why I call him a scoundrel. The only one who is
abusing anything is Jon who is always complaining like a cry baby
liberal. I will resurrect every term I have ever applied to him and we
shall see who will laughed at and made to look ridiculous in the court
of public opinion, or any other court for that matter.

But why am I even writing to this world class loser? I must have rocks
in my head to even give him one moment of my time. From now on I will
take all the short cuts and just call him a few appropriate names. He
will then understand me perfectly and it will save time all around.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Edward Dolan
December 5th 03, 06:48 AM
"Lars S. Mulford" > wrote in message >...

[...]
> I wonder how many of the
> negative posters on here would continue to do so if they actually had to
> meet face to face with the folks they continued to broadside? [...]

What goes on here on newsgroups has little or nothing to do with
reality. For instance I am meeting folks here who I would never meet
in real life. In fact, most of them I would not give the time of day
to. In real life we would be forever strangers to one another. So
forget real life. This is a fantasy life that we all enter into the
minute we subscribe to a newsgroup.

Here on these newsgroups we all of us go about creating an image for
ourselves. We can create Mr. Nice Guy or Mr. Terrible Guy. I think you
are about creating Mr. Nice Guy. I am about creating Mr. Terrible Guy,
at least with respect to all my liberal adversaries. I think it is
possible to last about two years on these newsgroups and then you
should really move on and give everyone a break whether you are Nice
or Terrible. Everyone eventually gets to be a crushing bore!

The ultimate cure for what ails us is of course Death. The beauty of
it is that all we have to do is to be patient and it (Mr. Grim Reaper)
comes for all of us finally. And then it is Le Fin! No more bother
about liberals and conservatives. That would be my idea of Heaven. But
if the argument goes on, then that is my idea of Hell!

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Jon Meinecke
December 5th 03, 12:49 PM
"bg" > wrote
> My apologies for top post.
> Don't you get it? Ed doesn't give a crap about anything but folks
> responding to his posts.

Yes. Of course. Every reference to him is another nickel
in the parking meter of his 15 minutes of fame.

Clearly my posting is in vain if the object is to engage
him. That is not my object.

Newsgroups are often wild places. Posting to USENET
newsgroups via Google and ISPs is not an inalienable right,
however. In addition to filtering posts based on author (an
option unavailable to those reading via Google), there are
other options.

Jon Meinecke

Lars S. Mulford
December 5th 03, 01:05 PM
Howdy Ed and others:

See my comments below.

"Edward Dolan" > wrote in message
om...
> "Lars S. Mulford" > wrote in message

> What goes on here on newsgroups has little or nothing to do with
> reality. For instance I am meeting folks here who I would never meet
> in real life. In fact, most of them I would not give the time of day
> to. In real life we would be forever strangers to one another. So
> forget real life. This is a fantasy life that we all enter into the
> minute we subscribe to a newsgroup.

I couldn't disagree more, at least from my way of looking at it. Obviously
we are on here for two different reasons. I read this newsgroup to attain
more information about recumbents and recumbenting. I read here to become a
better rider, pick up tips, make improvements, and perhaps even make a
suggestion or two myself. There is no "fantasy" here for me. I suspect for
most others, this is also true. If I wanted fantasy, I'd subscribe to a
scifi newsgroup or the like where RPGs ruled.

> Here on these newsgroups we all of us go about creating an image for
> ourselves. We can create Mr. Nice Guy or Mr. Terrible Guy. I think you
> are about creating Mr. Nice Guy. I am about creating Mr. Terrible Guy,
> at least with respect to all my liberal adversaries.

Ed, I do not understand your logic here at all. It seems ultimately
self-defeating. I don't come on here creating any type of persona. I am
who I am. If someone views me as decent, great! If not, that is their
opinion. Anything I write, I make sure that it is something that I can sign
my name to and buttress it with the truth or at least honest affirmation. I
stand behind my writ, and would support and defend it to anyone on here.
Perhaps that is the difference between us then, because I write as if I may
yet meet some other posters someday, and I find if respect is freely given,
it is also usually freely received and returned. I can agree to disagree
agreeably with others without resorting to name calling and political
bashing. Don't think for a moment that this is directed solely at you; it
isn't. Others on here are quite free with their baiting. It serves
nothing, really.

One of my old college profs said to me once that when you resort to name
calling and/or profanity, you've already lost the argument. There is real
truth there.

By the way Ed, I consider myself a conservative and there are actually some
things to which I am in agreement with you. However, your sole voice isn't
the voice of conservatism. It is YOUR voice. Make it count. Liberals,
conservatives, you know in the end, we all have to live with each other and
find ways to get along. I've never had political content step on any
friendships, potential or otherwise. I think the key is in recognizing the
differences, highlighting what and where there is common ground, and then
building from that. The trick is, you have to be WILLING to do it.
Confrontation only breeds more of same. A willingness to dialogue and
understand (not necessarily agree) is much more in tune with building
lasting bonds of trust, mutual respect, etc.

Again, thanks to all who posted on my original note and followups about
ideas for my young lady! We're still hashing out ideas for her. I've
received some GREAT ideas in private email and will check out all the
suggestions.

--
"Sea" ya!
--Lars S. Mulford
"You can find evil anywhere you look.
The question is, why are you looking?"

Edward Dolan
December 5th 03, 03:00 PM
bg > wrote in message >...

> Jon,
> My apologies for top post.
> Don't you get it? Ed doesn't give a crap about anything but folks
> responding to his posts. He's likely playing with himself while he reads
> any response, including this one.
> bg

There is never any excuse for top posting. Don't be so lazy. Do the
necessary editing and get it right. Either that or don't bother to
post. You surely didn't have anything to say anyway, did you?

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Joe Keenan
December 5th 03, 03:31 PM
Lars,

Works for me.

Unfortunately, I can't get newsgroups to work so I have to use Google,
which means I'll just continue to be retro and manually screen out the
non-recumbent related postings.

I just hope the users of this group will continue to NOT respond to
off thread posts. Hey, I can wish and dream.

Slow Joe

"Lars S. Mulford" > wrote in message >...
> Man alive folks:
>
> I can't believe that this thread started with me actually having the
> audacity to share a precious moment, where my 10 yr old daughter rode a
> recumbent for the first time and became enamored with it... Where have we
> gone astray here? Did NO ONE read my initial note? The ones that did and
> posted helpful comments, I thank you!
>
> While the newsgroup may be chock full o' liberal and conservative volleys
> and broadsides, there still exists within here a legion of folks who
> actually read the notes to find content regarding recumbent biking and the
> joys that coincide with it. I read what interests me and tune out the rest.
>
> Life's too short to be spent at a keyboard firing off mean spirited comments
> here and there. There's riding to be done! Get out and ride! I bet if
> half the people who write in grossly negative ways on here could actually
> meet the people to which they take aim, perhaps folks would be singing
> different tunes. Everyone's a big shot behind the monitor, where distance
> and to some extent a cloak of anonymity exists. That kind of stuff matters
> little in the big scheme of things. If you're big enough to type it, you
> should be big enough to back up your words. That's the problem though -
> folks don't have to back up their words here and you get these silly and
> inane flame wars that cycle throughout the year. I wonder how many of the
> negative posters on here would continue to do so if they actually had to
> meet face to face with the folks they continued to broadside? Not all
> bikers are 5'9" and 160lbs.
>
> I'll continue to post on here with recumbent and related material. How
> about others doing same?

Robert Haston
December 5th 03, 11:57 PM
"Edward Dolan" > wrote in message actually had to

> The ultimate cure for what ails us is of course Death. The beauty of
> it is that all we have to do is to be patient and it (Mr. Grim Reaper)
> comes for all of us finally. And then it is Le Fin! No more bother
> about liberals and conservatives. That would be my idea of Heaven. But
> if the argument goes on, then that is my idea of Hell!
>
> Ed Dolan - Minnesota

My idea of Hell would be eternity in a Doctor's Office waiting room - with
Ed Dolan.

Edward Dolan
December 6th 03, 12:29 AM
"Jon Meinecke" > wrote in message >...

> "bg" > wrote

> > My apologies for top post.
> > Don't you get it? Ed doesn't give a crap about anything but folks
> > responding to his posts.

"bg" also made reference to some onanistic activity in his post to
which you are responding, but you took a pass on that so that is to
your credit at least.

> Yes. Of course. Every reference to him is another nickel
> in the parking meter of his 15 minutes of fame.

That is a really weird analysis. I do not care in the slightest if
anyone ever responds to what I have to say or not. What I do care
about is putting down all these treasonous liberal sentiments and
ideas emanating from ARBR posters.

> Clearly my posting is in vain if the object is to engage
> him. That is not my object.

There is no way you and I could ever "engage" about anything because I
never know what the hell you are talking about.

> Newsgroups are often wild places. Posting to USENET
> newsgroups via Google and ISPs is not an inalienable right,
> however. In addition to filtering posts based on author (an
> option unavailable to those reading via Google), there are
> other options.

You need to get out more and have a look at some other newsgroups. We
are the essence of politeness and decorum here on ARBR. It is not how
I am saying anything but what I am saying that bothers you so much.
For someone who prides himself on his powers of analysis it seems you
have a blind spot when it comes to yourself. Try some introspection
some time. You might like it!

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Mark Leuck
December 6th 03, 01:00 AM
"Robert Haston" > wrote in message
k.net...

> "Edward Dolan" > wrote in message actually had to
>
> > The ultimate cure for what ails us is of course Death. The beauty of
> > it is that all we have to do is to be patient and it (Mr. Grim Reaper)
> > comes for all of us finally. And then it is Le Fin! No more bother
> > about liberals and conservatives. That would be my idea of Heaven. But
> > if the argument goes on, then that is my idea of Hell!
> >
> > Ed Dolan - Minnesota
>
> My idea of Hell would be eternity in a Doctor's Office waiting room - with
> Ed Dolan.

Even worse would be if Ed Dolan WAS the doctor :)

Tom Sherman
December 6th 03, 05:02 AM
> It's sad that our little sandbox is becoming a flame yard like the
> other cycling related newsgroups....

Of the three most popular newsgroups, rec.bicycles.racing has a strong
culture of flaming, but rec.bicycles.misc and rec.bicycles.tech are
largely polite and on topic.

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

Tom Sherman
December 6th 03, 05:10 AM
Edward Dolan wrote:
> ...They are internationalists and look to the UN for our security....

I have a UN-52 BB on my RANS Rocket.

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

Tom Sherman
December 6th 03, 05:16 AM
Edward Dolan wrote:

> "bg" also made reference to some onanistic activity in his post to
> which you are responding, but you took a pass on that so that is to
> your credit at least.

Yes, some do find internal combustion engines offensive.
<http://www.onan.com/onan/index.jsp>

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

Tom Sherman
December 6th 03, 05:19 AM
Or just top AND bottom post. ;)

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

Edward Dolan wrote:

> bg > wrote in message >...
>
> > Jon,
> > My apologies for top post.
> > Don't you get it? Ed doesn't give a crap about anything but folks
> > responding to his posts. He's likely playing with himself while he reads
> > any response, including this one.
> > bg
>
> There is never any excuse for top posting. Don't be so lazy. Do the
> necessary editing and get it right. Either that or don't bother to
> post. You surely didn't have anything to say anyway, did you?
>
> Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Or just top AND bottom post. ;)

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

Edward Dolan
December 7th 03, 10:28 PM
"Mark Leuck" > wrote in message news:<DS9Ab.240367$Dw6.833135@attbi_s02>...

> "Robert Haston" > wrote in message
> k.net...
> >
> > "Edward Dolan" > wrote:
> >
> > > The ultimate cure for what ails us is of course Death. The beauty of
> > > it is that all we have to do is to be patient and it (Mr. Grim Reaper)
> > > comes for all of us finally. And then it is Le Fin! No more bother
> > > about liberals and conservatives. That would be my idea of Heaven. But
> > > if the argument goes on, then that is my idea of Hell!
> > >
> > > Ed Dolan - Minnesota
> >
> > My idea of Hell would be eternity in a Doctor's Office waiting room - with
> > Ed Dolan.
>
> Even worse would be if Ed Dolan WAS the doctor :)

No, I was a Hospital Corpsman in the Navy and I would treat you with
consideration and kindness as that is my nature. Those of you who
judge me by my posts to this newsgroup, which is motivated strictly by
the need to combat the liberal nuts and screwballs that exist here,
judge me most awfully wrong. As Skip may have told you once before, I
am a lamb in wolf's clothing, whereas Mr. Sherman is a wolf in sheep's
clothing. It is too bad you can not recognize this very critical
difference.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Zippy the Pinhead
December 7th 03, 11:02 PM
On 7 Dec 2003 14:28:58 -0800, (Edward Dolan) wrote:

>No, I was a Hospital Corpsman in the Navy

Were you 8404?

Tom Sherman
December 7th 03, 11:22 PM
Edward Dolan wrote:

> > Even worse would be if Ed Dolan WAS the doctor :)
>
> No, I was a Hospital Corpsman in the Navy and I would treat you with
> consideration and kindness as that is my nature. Those of you who
> judge me by my posts to this newsgroup, which is motivated strictly by
> the need to combat the liberal nuts and screwballs that exist here,
> judge me most awfully wrong. As Skip may have told you once before, I
> am a lamb in wolf's clothing, whereas Mr. Sherman is a wolf in sheep's
> clothing. It is too bad you can not recognize this very critical
> difference.

Mr. Dolan,

If you were broken down along side the road, and I had a tool that you
lacked but needed to make repairs I would lend it to you. If you needed
a spare part that I had, I would give it to you.

That I find your views on the use of violence to achieve political ends
abhorrent and your frequent use of gratuitous insults to be uncivil
would not change my behavior.

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

Edward Dolan
December 9th 03, 02:07 AM
Tom Sherman > wrote in message >...

> Edward Dolan wrote:
> >
> > > Even worse would be if Ed Dolan WAS the doctor :)
> >
> > No, I was a Hospital Corpsman in the Navy and I would treat you with
> > consideration and kindness as that is my nature. Those of you who
> > judge me by my posts to this newsgroup, which is motivated strictly by
> > the need to combat the liberal nuts and screwballs that exist here,
> > judge me most awfully wrong. As Skip may have told you once before, I
> > am a lamb in wolf's clothing, whereas Mr. Sherman is a wolf in sheep's
> > clothing. It is too bad you can not recognize this very critical
> > difference.
>
> Mr. Dolan,
>
> If you were broken down along side the road, and I had a tool that you
> lacked but needed to make repairs I would lend it to you. If you needed
> a spare part that I had, I would give it to you.

Yes, and so would I because despite our differences we are both
basically civilized human beings who are participating in a high
culture.

> That I find your views on the use of violence to achieve political ends
> abhorrent and your frequent use of gratuitous insults to be uncivil
> would not change my behavior.

I do believe in violence if and when it can prevent an even greater
violence down the road. If the other European nations had acted
against Hitler in his early days with violence WW II could have been
prevented easily. We are acting against the Terrorists now with
violence to prevent even greater violence in the future. Prevention
and preemption is of the essence.

You insult in your way constantly and I do so in my way. That is the
only difference. I am open and above board, you are underhanded and
sneaky. I leave it to to others to decide which way is the more
honorable.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

December 11th 03, 06:02 AM
Edward Dolan > wrote:

: them a treasonous class that does not have America's best interests at
: heart. They are internationalists and look to the UN for our security.
: They basically have a socialist agenda which goes counter to
: everything America stands for. I can not dialogue with them nor do I
: want to.

You're making these liberals sound attractive now...

: that you cannot meet them half way on anything. Your way has proven a
: failure over and over. We need to toughen up and meet them on their
: own ground, which is one of invective and name calling. That is how
: they are, so that is how we must be too.

I think this approach is falling flat on its face.

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/

Edward Dolan
December 12th 03, 05:45 AM
wrote in message >...

> Edward Dolan > wrote:
>
> : them a treasonous class that does not have America's best interests at
> : heart. They are internationalists and look to the UN for our security.
> : They basically have a socialist agenda which goes counter to
> : everything America stands for. I can not dialogue with them nor do I
> : want to.
>
> You're making these liberals sound attractive now...
>
> : that you cannot meet them half way on anything. Your way has proven a
> : failure over and over. We need to toughen up and meet them on their
> : own ground, which is one of invective and name calling. That is how
> : they are, so that is how we must be too.
>
> I think this approach is falling flat on its face.

Why is it that a liberal rant sounds to my ears discordant and raucous
(see any of Barry's rants for an example) whereas a conservative rant
is pure beautiful melody and harmony as if coming from on High.
Liberals sound like Nielsen, conservatives sound like Sibelius!

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home