PDA

View Full Version : winter gloves follow up

DH
December 8th 03, 07:42 PM
I bought a pair of Columbia's top of the line gloves (model SM9125). I
bought them a month ago, but last night was the first real cold night in
that month and so I thought I'd give them a try. My wife and I biked for
about an hour in near freezing temperature.

She wore fleece gloves with Thinsulate insulation and her hands were
toasty and mine were cold, though not as cold as my feet.

I might try getting my money back for those gloves but it's been a month
and the store policy has a two week return. Toady I bought a pair of
Craft Pro Layer 1 which I will use either as an insert to those Columbia
gloves or another pair.

aaaaaaarrrggggggggg

Mikael Seierup
December 9th 03, 11:48 AM
"DH" skrev...
> I bought a pair of Columbia's top of the line gloves (model SM9125). I
> bought them a month ago, but last night was the first real cold night in
> that month and so I thought I'd give them a try. My wife and I biked for
> about an hour in near freezing temperature.
>
> She wore fleece gloves with Thinsulate insulation and her hands were
> toasty and mine were cold, though not as cold as my feet.

I can't seem to keep warm in anything but knitted gloves with thinsulate lining.
When it gets really cold I wear some nylon mitten shells over them.
(Nylon mittens with the fleece lining ripped out)
I have some fancy bikegloves and they are horrible.

Wearing something warmer on your head and body might help.
AFAIK your body shuts down heating to extremeties first
to keep the vital stuff warm.

Mikael

Steve Christensen
December 9th 03, 04:34 PM
In article >, Mikael Seierup
says...

>"DH" skrev...
>> I bought a pair of Columbia's top of the line gloves (model SM9125). I
>> bought them a month ago, but last night was the first real cold night in
>> that month and so I thought I'd give them a try. My wife and I biked for
>> about an hour in near freezing temperature.
>>
>> She wore fleece gloves with Thinsulate insulation and her hands were
>> toasty and mine were cold, though not as cold as my feet.
>
>I can't seem to keep warm in anything but knitted gloves with thinsulate lining.
>When it gets really cold I wear some nylon mitten shells over them.
>(Nylon mittens with the fleece lining ripped out)
>I have some fancy bikegloves and they are horrible.
>
>Wearing something warmer on your head and body might help.
>AFAIK your body shuts down heating to extremeties first
>to keep the vital stuff warm.

I get cold hands very easily, and one thing I've found that helps at freezing
and below is to switch gloves every hour, certainly after any rest stop. It's
really a pain to carry around the extra gear, especially the soaking wet gloves
after an hour's hard ride, but it does seem to help. Once they get really wet
none of the gloves seem to insulate as well.

Steve Christensen

remy1942
December 9th 03, 04:50 PM
I might try getting my money back for those gloves but it's been a month
and the store policy has a two week return. Toady I bought a pair of
Craft Pro Layer 1 which I will use either as an insert to those Columbia
gloves or another pair.

aaaaaaarrrggggggggg

Gloves just don't cut it but I have an answer Pogies: Another solution
is Pogies. Bike pogies are oversized mittens that fit over the
handlebars. They let you ride barehanded when you'd wear gloves and let
you wear gloves when you'd need heavy mittens or gloves.

DH
December 9th 03, 05:34 PM
> Gloves just don't cut it but I have an answer Pogies: Another solution
> is Pogies. Bike pogies are oversized mittens that fit over the
> handlebars. They let you ride barehanded when you'd wear gloves and let
> you wear gloves when you'd need heavy mittens or gloves.

Yea, that was suggested the last time I started a thread about gloves. I
also have an idea for a plastic form that attaches to the handlebar and
forces the air/rain/whatever over your hands. These 'things' exist for
motorcycles and motorbikes, but nothing, AFAIK, exists for bikes. I have
it in the back of my mind to somehow market these and make some money.

mike s
December 9th 03, 06:01 PM
"Mikael Seierup" > wrote in message >...
> "DH" skrev...
> > I bought a pair of Columbia's top of the line gloves (model SM9125). I
> > bought them a month ago, but last night was the first real cold night in
> > that month and so I thought I'd give them a try. My wife and I biked for
> > about an hour in near freezing temperature.
> >
> > She wore fleece gloves with Thinsulate insulation and her hands were
> > toasty and mine were cold, though not as cold as my feet.
>
> I can't seem to keep warm in anything but knitted gloves with thinsulate lining.
> When it gets really cold I wear some nylon mitten shells over them.
> (Nylon mittens with the fleece lining ripped out)
> I have some fancy bikegloves and they are horrible.
>
> Wearing something warmer on your head and body might help.
> AFAIK your body shuts down heating to extremeties first
> to keep the vital stuff warm.
>
> Mikael

I have the same problem. No matter what I try, when I ride in
temperature in the low 30's or below, the tips of my fingers and my
toes get painfully cold. I use fleece booties covering the shoes and
my toes can make it for about an hour before they become noticeably a
problem. I use Pearl Izumi Lobster Claw gloves and it doesn't take
long for my fingertips to get very cold. I try not putting my fingers
all the way in the finger sleeves, thus creating an air pocket at the
tips, and I have started using these chemical handwarmers, but they
only go into the glove as far as the finger sleeves. Helps a little
but not much. The rest of me is warm with the fleece insulated tights
and with layering and the balaclava (best keeping warm garment I
have). Previous posts suggest switching pedals during the winter to
beartraps and then riding in insulated boots, something I don't want
to do. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike S.
St. Louis, Mo.

Gary Mc
December 10th 03, 12:47 AM
"DH" > wrote in message >...
> > Gloves just don't cut it but I have an answer Pogies: Another solution
> > is Pogies. Bike pogies are oversized mittens that fit over the
> > handlebars. They let you ride barehanded when you'd wear gloves and let
> > you wear gloves when you'd need heavy mittens or gloves.
>
> Yea, that was suggested the last time I started a thread about gloves. I
> also have an idea for a plastic form that attaches to the handlebar and
> forces the air/rain/whatever over your hands. These 'things' exist for
> motorcycles and motorbikes, but nothing, AFAIK, exists for bikes. I have
> it in the back of my mind to somehow market these and make some money.

Try a search on "Moose Mitts". Here is one that I found:

http://www.trails-edge.com/retail/te_shirts/amfbikemits.htm

rorschandt
December 10th 03, 01:24 PM
(mike s) wrote in
om:

> "Mikael Seierup" > wrote in message
>> "DH" skrev...
>> > I bought a pair of Columbia's top of the line gloves (model
>> > SM9125). I bought them a month ago, but last night was the first
>> > real cold night in that month and so I thought I'd give them a try.
>> > My wife and I biked for about an hour in near freezing
>> > temperature.
>> >
>> > She wore fleece gloves with Thinsulate insulation and her hands
>> > were toasty and mine were cold, though not as cold as my feet.
>>
>> I can't seem to keep warm in anything but knitted gloves with
>> thinsulate lining. When it gets really cold I wear some nylon mitten
>> shells over them. (Nylon mittens with the fleece lining ripped out)
>> I have some fancy bikegloves and they are horrible.
>>
>> Wearing something warmer on your head and body might help.
>> AFAIK your body shuts down heating to extremeties first
>> to keep the vital stuff warm.
>>
>> Mikael
>

> I have the same problem. No matter what I try, when I ride in
> temperature in the low 30's or below, the tips of my fingers and my
> toes get painfully cold.

I can appreciate your painfully cold digits. The only cure I found was one
winter I lived in Santa Barbara, CA. It didn't get cold, so gloves and all
that other silliness that goes with w*nt*r were unnecessary.
My suggestion is that all of us that have difficulty keeping warm, move to
someplace where the climate isn't actively attempting to make us into "meat
popsicles".
A liner glove inside your lobster mits may help.

happy trails,
R.

Mikael Seierup
December 10th 03, 03:05 PM
"rorschandt" skrev...
> My suggestion is that all of us that have difficulty keeping warm, move to
> someplace where the climate isn't actively attempting to make us into "meat
> popsicles".

I'd love to. Spending the winters on Crete or some other greek island
and pootling down to the local taverna for some yummy food
and a spot of wine. Unfortunately I'm not the Son of Gates
and they drive like maniacs in Greece anyway. ;-)

Lovely sunshine here today and 5C. Rode 2 hours along slightly iced over ponds
and creeks and along a nice darkblue ocean. If nothing else it gets the blood
flowing and wakes me up. The day might only be 7 1/2 hours long right now
but it was a very nice one and in a week or so it starts getting lighter again.
(as in winter solstice)

Mikael

Steve Christensen
December 10th 03, 04:59 PM
In article >, DH says...

>For anyone remotely interested, I went back to store Monday and the
>manager sold me on the idea of buying Craft Pro 1, these are very thin
>liners. They worked pretty well in place of the original Columbia
>inserts, but when taking the gloves on and off, the liner now doesn't stay
>in place and I wind up having to completely remove it and place it on my
>hand before I insert my hand back into the shell.

From years of cold weather experience as a ski patroller I can confirm that
glove liners can be very effective at extending the confort range of gloves.
But part of what made them helpful was being able to take off the overglove or
mitt without removing the glove liner. I used (and still use) some polyester
coolmax type liners that are very slick on the outside. With this as a liner it
makes removing even a wet glove a snap.

So don't give up on the liner idea - just find one with a slippery outside.

Steve Christensen

Steve Collier
December 12th 03, 03:27 PM
"remy1942" > wrote in message
> I might try getting my money back for those gloves but it's been a month
> and the store policy has a two week return. Toady I bought a pair of
> Craft Pro Layer 1 which I will use either as an insert to those Columbia
> gloves or another pair.
>
> aaaaaaarrrggggggggg
>
> Gloves just don't cut it but I have an answer Pogies: Another solution
> is Pogies. Bike pogies are oversized mittens that fit over the
> handlebars. They let you ride barehanded when you'd wear gloves and let
> you wear gloves when you'd need heavy mittens or gloves.

I've been following up on this, but here's a caveat about webshopping: I got
a pair of pogies meant for motorcycle use. They are far too big, intended
to cover things like handlebar mounted fluid reservois etc that you find
around the handgrip on a motorcycle. I would like to find the same concept
executed for pedal-cycles.

As regards extremities, I think it is important to keep the ankles and
wrists warm and covered - if not, the blood flows in an exposed area on the
way to the extremities and probably gets cooled here even if gloves and foot
covers are otherwise effective.

SteveC

December 12th 03, 05:25 PM
DH > wrote:
: I bought a pair of Columbia's top of the line gloves (model SM9125). I
: bought them a month ago, but last night was the first real cold night in
: that month and so I thought I'd give them a try. My wife and I biked for
: about an hour in near freezing temperature.

I have some 10 eurobucks ski gloves that are good down to almost 0
C. I doubt the fancy 80 buck cycling gloves would be any better...
I switch to heavier ski gloves after that.

For real weather I have Burton snowboard mitts. Come with
removable fleece lining and big enough to fit an additional wool
mitt inside. Should be good enough for a windy -15 C day (not so
common here :-) Thin gloves and the mitts could make a nice very
practical combination for weather that's not so cold.

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/

Dave Larrington
December 12th 03, 06:04 PM
What Risto said. Ski gloves come much further up the arms than cycling ones
(which is nice if you still wear indescribably ancient and shrunken
jerseys). I have a nice shiny new pair which have so far laughed at
anything the weather has thrown at them which, admittedly, is not that much
yet. We shall see...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Just zis Guy, you know?
December 12th 03, 10:12 PM
On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 17:04:49 -0000, "Dave Larrington"
> wrote:

>Ski gloves come much further up the arms than cycling ones
>(which is nice if you still wear indescribably ancient and shrunken
>jerseys).

One of the areas in which we win, of course - no need for padded
palms, so we can buy the best damn gloves in the world and not worry
about numb thumbs :-)

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

December 13th 03, 03:57 AM
Mikael Seierup > wrote:

: Lovely sunshine here today and 5C. Rode 2 hours along slightly iced over ponds
: and creeks and along a nice darkblue ocean. If nothing else it gets the blood
: flowing and wakes me up.

Post pictures!!!

: The day might only be 7 1/2 hours long right now
: but it was a very nice one and in a week or so it starts getting lighter again.

7.5 hours of daylight? Some people are spoiled!

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/

December 13th 03, 04:03 AM
Just zis Guy, you know? > wrote:
: One of the areas in which we win, of course - no need for padded
: palms, so we can buy the best damn gloves in the world and not worry
: about numb thumbs :-)

In my experience ski + glove = padding. On the other hand we can
save on riding suits because we could just take running suits or
generic outdoors suits (goretex for 100 eurobucks etc). No need
for fancy things like pockets in the back.

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/

R. T. McKenzie
December 13th 03, 04:58 AM
You might want to look at these

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=668557&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=479921&bmUID=1071287356125

if you havn't seen them already. I just got a pair and am impressed with
the quality.

-- rtmc

:
| Dave Horne

Dave Larrington
December 15th 03, 11:23 AM
Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> One of the areas in which we win, of course - no need for padded
> palms, so we can buy the best damn gloves in the world and not worry
> about numb thumbs :-)

Except that the Speedmachine is in a Several of pieces strewn about
Larrington Towers, the Baron is utterly unsuitable for commuting duties and
the Trice not due until February, ergo I am currently using a Trek 4300 with
slicks, mudguards and a boingy seatpost...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

DH
December 19th 03, 11:16 AM
..... more ... I wrote a letter to Columbia in the US and just now received
a call from someone representing them in the Netherlands. They will send
me a free pair of gloves. This seems like excellent service. What
follows is my letter to them from Dec 8 (the euro symbol may not display
properly):

Columbia Sportswear Company
14375 NW Science Park Drive
Portland, OR 97229-5418
USA
Monday, December 08, 2003

Dear Sir or Madam,

I have a complaint regarding one of your products, your top of the line
gloves, model SM9125. They are black in color, have an insert lining and
the word Titanium on the outer shell.

I bought them about a month ago for € 54.99 and only used them for the
first time last night. The weather here has been fairly warm this winter
and last night was the first time in about a month it was cold enough for
me to wear them. I biked for about an hour and my fingers were cold. My
wife wore a pair of fleece gloves that had Thinsulate insulation and her
hands were toasty. Her gloves are in essence just an ‘insert’, cost one
third the price or less than mine, have less than half the mass of mine,
and yet she kept warm while I did not. I naturally assumed that my thick
gloves, with its lining insert, would do the trick in cold weather. I was
wrong. The temperature last night was not, I believe, below freezing, and
I was personally surprised that your gloves did not keep me warm.

When I bought the gloves, I had a long discussion with an employee of
Perry Sports in Den Bosch (‘s Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands). The
weather was warm at that time and I knew I could not judge if the gloves
would keep me warm or not. I do a fair amount of biking and really need
to have good gloves to keep my hands warm. I was told if I used the
gloves instead of just wearing the gloves, I could not return them if I
were unhappy. In order for me to use the gloves, I have to bike for an
hour or two to know for sure. Also, to compound the issue, the gloves
were bought about a month ago which is well outside of Perry Sport’s two
week return period. I still have the Perry Sport price tag from the
purchase and the original receipt.

At this point, I do not expect anything from you, but want you to know
that I am very unhappy with a product of yours. Today, as a possible
solution to my problem, I have additionally purchased a pair of Craft Pro
Layer 1 liners (€ 13.99) and will use them as inserts for the Titanium
shells to replace the original inserts. I was assured by a manager of
Perry Sports that these Craft Pro Layer 1 gloves/inserts would keep me
warm and I hope he is right.

Your gloves look like they are designed for skiing and if I am
disappointed biking with them at speeds of 15 – 20 kph in or near freezing
temperatures, I can well imagine I am not alone in being disappointed.

Sincerely yours,

Dave Horne

harv
December 22nd 03, 09:00 PM
"DH" > wrote in message
> .... more ... I wrote a letter to Columbia in the US and just now received
> a call from someone representing them in the Netherlands. They will send
> me a free pair of gloves. This seems like excellent service. What
> follows is my letter to them from Dec 8 (the euro symbol may not display
> properly):
>
> Columbia Sportswear Company
> 14375 NW Science Park Drive
> Portland, OR 97229-5418
> USA
> Monday, December 08, 2003
>

> Dear Sir or Madam,
>
> I have a complaint regarding one of your products, your top of the line
> gloves, model SM9125. They are black in color, have an insert lining and
> the word Titanium on the outer shell.
>
> I bought them about a month ago for ? 54.99 and only used them for the
> first time last night. The weather here has been fairly warm this winter
> and last night was the first time in about a month it was cold enough for
> me to wear them. I biked for about an hour and my fingers were cold. My
> wife wore a pair of fleece gloves that had Thinsulate insulation and her
> hands were toasty. Her gloves are in essence just an 'insert', cost one
> third the price or less than mine, have less than half the mass of mine,
> and yet she kept warm while I did not. I naturally assumed that my thick
> gloves, with its lining insert, would do the trick in cold weather. I was
> wrong. The temperature last night was not, I believe, below freezing, and
> I was personally surprised that your gloves did not keep me warm.
>snip

Great, another pair of gloves, just like the other ones that won't keep your
hands warm! at least they're free.

DH
December 23rd 03, 10:56 AM
> Great, another pair of gloves, just like the other ones that won't keep
your
> hands warm! at least they're free.

I'm hoping they actually read my letter and are sending me a pair of
fleece gloves with a Thinsulate liner.
I've already bought a pair of fleece gloves with a Thinsulate liner and
they seem to work well.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home