PDA

View Full Version : OT.....London drops the veil on electric double-deckers, will hitroads in April

Bod[_5_]
March 20th 16, 06:50 AM
"The next time you travel through London on public transportation, you
might find your experience to be significantly quieter. No, it's not
because you left your earplugs in after waking up. It's because some of
the city's buses -- the ubiquitous double-decker ones, at least -- will
be fully electric".

http://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/london-electric-double-deckers-will-hit-roads-in-april/
--
Bod

---

Alycidon
March 20th 16, 09:14 AM
On Sunday, 20 March 2016 06:50:38 UTC, Bod wrote:
> "The next time you travel through London on public transportation, you
> might find your experience to be significantly quieter. No, it's not
> because you left your earplugs in after waking up. It's because some of
> the city's buses -- the ubiquitous double-decker ones, at least -- will
> be fully electric".

Lots of them in Nottingham last time I was there.

MrCheerful
March 20th 16, 09:55 AM
On 20/03/2016 06:50, Bod wrote:
> "The next time you travel through London on public transportation, you
> might find your experience to be significantly quieter. No, it's not
> because you left your earplugs in after waking up. It's because some of
> the city's buses -- the ubiquitous double-decker ones, at least -- will
> be fully electric".
>
> http://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/london-electric-double-deckers-will-hit-roads-in-april/

It is a retrograde step for pedestrians and cyclists, unless they give
it an engine sound.

Bod[_5_]
March 20th 16, 09:59 AM
On 20/03/2016 09:14, Alycidon wrote:
> On Sunday, 20 March 2016 06:50:38 UTC, Bod wrote:
>> "The next time you travel through London on public transportation, you
>> might find your experience to be significantly quieter. No, it's not
>> because you left your earplugs in after waking up. It's because some of
>> the city's buses -- the ubiquitous double-decker ones, at least -- will
>> be fully electric".
>
> Lots of them in Nottingham last time I was there.

I didn't know that.

--
Bod

---

Bod[_5_]
March 20th 16, 10:00 AM
On 20/03/2016 09:55, MrCheerful wrote:
> On 20/03/2016 06:50, Bod wrote:
>> "The next time you travel through London on public transportation, you
>> might find your experience to be significantly quieter. No, it's not
>> because you left your earplugs in after waking up. It's because some of
>> the city's buses -- the ubiquitous double-decker ones, at least -- will
>> be fully electric".
>>
>> http://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/london-electric-double-deckers-will-hit-roads-in-april/
>>

> It is a retrograde step for pedestrians and cyclists, unless they give
> it an engine sound.

Exactly my thoughts.

--
Bod

---

MrCheerful
March 20th 16, 10:05 AM
On 20/03/2016 09:59, Bod wrote:
> On 20/03/2016 09:14, Alycidon wrote:
>> On Sunday, 20 March 2016 06:50:38 UTC, Bod wrote:
>>> "The next time you travel through London on public transportation, you
>>> might find your experience to be significantly quieter. No, it's not
>>> because you left your earplugs in after waking up. It's because some of
>>> the city's buses -- the ubiquitous double-decker ones, at least -- will
>>> be fully electric".
>>
>> Lots of them in Nottingham last time I was there.
>>
> I didn't know that.

There are plenty of hybrids around, and they are a good plan, they are
silent when at rest, yet make a noise when moving.

Alycidon
March 20th 16, 10:14 AM
On Sunday, 20 March 2016 06:50:38 UTC, Bod wrote:
> "The next time you travel through London on public transportation, you
> might find your experience to be significantly quieter. No, it's not
> because you left your earplugs in after waking up. It's because some of
> the city's buses -- the ubiquitous double-decker ones, at least -- will
> be fully electric".

No speeding either.

http://road.cc/content/news/183299-london-buses-will-be-fitted-speed-limiting-technology

Alycidon
March 20th 16, 10:17 AM
On Sunday, 20 March 2016 09:59:46 UTC, Bod wrote:
> On 20/03/2016 09:14, Alycidon wrote:
> > On Sunday, 20 March 2016 06:50:38 UTC, Bod wrote:
> >> "The next time you travel through London on public transportation, you
> >> might find your experience to be significantly quieter. No, it's not
> >> because you left your earplugs in after waking up. It's because some of
> >> the city's buses -- the ubiquitous double-decker ones, at least -- will
> >> be fully electric".
> >
> > Lots of them in Nottingham last time I was there.
> >
> I didn't know that.

http://www.transport-network.co.uk/Nottingham-leads-the-way-on-electric-buses/11598

Tom Crispin[_5_]
March 20th 16, 04:07 PM
On Sunday, March 20, 2016 at 9:55:49 AM UTC, MrCheerful wrote:
> On 20/03/2016 06:50, Bod wrote:
> > "The next time you travel through London on public transportation, you
> > might find your experience to be significantly quieter. No, it's not
> > because you left your earplugs in after waking up. It's because some of
> > the city's buses -- the ubiquitous double-decker ones, at least -- will
> > be fully electric".
> >
> > http://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/london-electric-double-deckers-will-hit-roads-in-april/
> >

> It is a retrograde step for pedestrians and cyclists, unless they give
> it an engine sound.

They could play a Nokia theme tune as they move along.

jnugent
March 20th 16, 04:09 PM
On 20/03/2016 16:07, Tom Crispin wrote:

> On Sunday, March 20, 2016 at 9:55:49 AM UTC, MrCheerful wrote:
>> On 20/03/2016 06:50, Bod wrote:

>>> "The next time you travel through London on public transportation, you
>>> might find your experience to be significantly quieter. No, it's not
>>> because you left your earplugs in after waking up. It's because some of
>>> the city's buses -- the ubiquitous double-decker ones, at least -- will
>>> be fully electric".
>
>>> http://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/london-electric-double-deckers-will-hit-roads-in-april/
>
>> It is a retrograde step for pedestrians and cyclists, unless they give
>> it an engine sound.

> They could play a Nokia theme tune as they move along.

Why so lacking in ambition?

They could play Bach, Vivaldi, the more reflective bits of Beethoven or
even a bit of Debussy.

Tom Crispin[_5_]
March 20th 16, 04:20 PM
On Sunday, March 20, 2016 at 4:09:58 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:
> On 20/03/2016 16:07, Tom Crispin wrote:

> >> It is a retrograde step for pedestrians and cyclists, unless they give
> >> it an engine sound.
>
> > They could play a Nokia theme tune as they move along.
>
> Why so lacking in ambition?

Lacking in ambition!? Doesn't the thought of a potential 8,000 London buses, all of which are playing the Nokia theme tune simultaneously, but each slightly out of synch with each other, fill your heart with joy?

jnugent
March 20th 16, 04:21 PM
On 20/03/2016 16:20, Tom Crispin wrote:
> On Sunday, March 20, 2016 at 4:09:58 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:

>>> They could play a Nokia theme tune as they move along.
>>
>> Why so lacking in ambition?
>
> Lacking in ambition!? Doesn't the thought of a potential 8,000 London buses, all of which are playing the Nokia theme tune simultaneously, but each slightly out of synch with each other, fill your heart with joy?

Should it?

Bod[_5_]
March 20th 16, 05:15 PM
On 20/03/2016 16:07, Tom Crispin wrote:
> On Sunday, March 20, 2016 at 9:55:49 AM UTC, MrCheerful wrote:
>> On 20/03/2016 06:50, Bod wrote:
>>> "The next time you travel through London on public transportation, you
>>> might find your experience to be significantly quieter. No, it's not
>>> because you left your earplugs in after waking up. It's because some of
>>> the city's buses -- the ubiquitous double-decker ones, at least -- will
>>> be fully electric".
>>>
>>> http://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/london-electric-double-deckers-will-hit-roads-in-april/
>>>

>> It is a retrograde step for pedestrians and cyclists, unless they give
>> it an engine sound.
>
> They could play a Nokia theme tune as they move along.

Or "The wheels on the bus..."

--
Bod

---

Tony Dragon
March 20th 16, 08:31 PM
On 20/03/2016 17:15, Bod wrote:
> On 20/03/2016 16:07, Tom Crispin wrote:

>>> It is a retrograde step for pedestrians and cyclists, unless they give
>>> it an engine sound.
>>
>> They could play a Nokia theme tune as they move along.
>>
> Or "The wheels on the bus..."

Flanders and Swann

---

jnugent
March 20th 16, 11:30 PM
On 20/03/2016 17:15, Bod wrote:

> On 20/03/2016 16:07, Tom Crispin wrote:

>>> It is a retrograde step for pedestrians and cyclists, unless they give
>>> it an engine sound.
>
>> They could play a Nokia theme tune as they move along.

> Or "The wheels on the bus..."

Far too harmonically sophisticated for cyclists.

Better to just concentrate on the pedestrians and play Bach or Debussy.

jnugent
March 21st 16, 12:13 AM
On 20/03/2016 20:31, Tony Dragon wrote:
> On 20/03/2016 17:15, Bod wrote:

>>> They could play a Nokia theme tune as they move along.
>>>
>> Or "The wheels on the bus..."
>>

> Flanders and Swann

Why on Earth isn't there a "Thumbs up" icon for usenet?

Tom Crispin[_5_]
March 21st 16, 07:12 AM
On Sunday, March 20, 2016 at 11:31:08 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:
> On 20/03/2016 17:15, Bod wrote:

> >> They could play a Nokia theme tune as they move along.
>
> > Or "The wheels on the bus..."
>
> Far too harmonically sophisticated for cyclists.
>
> Better to just concentrate on the pedestrians and play Bach or Debussy.

Bach would perhaps suit Audi, BMW or VW, and Debussy Peugeot, Citroen or Renault. But these buses are Chinese.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7CseTNRZ_0

Bod[_5_]
March 21st 16, 07:13 AM
On 20/03/2016 23:30, JNugent wrote:
> On 20/03/2016 17:15, Bod wrote:

>>> They could play a Nokia theme tune as they move along.
>
>> Or "The wheels on the bus..."
>
> Far too harmonically sophisticated for cyclists.
>
> Better to just concentrate on the pedestrians and play Bach or Debussy.

Lol.

--
Bod

---

jnugent
March 21st 16, 01:33 PM
On 21/03/2016 07:12, Tom Crispin wrote:
> On Sunday, March 20, 2016 at 11:31:08 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:

>>> Or "The wheels on the bus..."
>>
>> Far too harmonically sophisticated for cyclists.
>
>> Better to just concentrate on the pedestrians and play Bach or Debussy.
>
> Bach would perhaps suit Audi, BMW or VW, and Debussy Peugeot, Citroen or Renault. But these buses are Chinese.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7CseTNRZ_0

Not at all. I regularly play Bach and Beethoven in a Citroen.

They're very keen on Beethoven in China, BTW.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home