PDA

View Full Version : Why you slap my car?

Alycidon
April 1st 16, 09:18 AM
"What's-a matter you? Hey! Gotta no respect. What-a you t'ink you do? Why you slap my car? I'm-a not too close, U should be on-a the side. Ah, shaddap-a you face!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUzMu8wlpEk&feature=youtu.be

Bod[_5_]
April 1st 16, 09:32 AM
On 01/04/2016 09:18, Alycidon wrote:

> "What's-a matter you? Hey! Gotta no respect. What-a you t'ink you do? Why you slap my car? I'm-a not too close, U should be on-a the side. Ah, shaddap-a you face!"
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUzMu8wlpEk&feature=youtu.be

Alcydon, how come in 60 years of cycling I have never had an incident
like that, yet you seem to show many cyclists getting aggro because of
your silly rule of cycling in the middle of the lane when the road is
narrow? You don't have to be a rocket scientist to realise that doing
that will antagonise many motorists.

--
Bod

Tosspot[_3_]
April 1st 16, 09:43 AM
On 01/04/16 09:18, Alycidon wrote:

> "What's-a matter you? Hey! Gotta no respect. What-a you t'ink you do? Why you slap my car? I'm-a not too close, U should be on-a the side. Ah, shaddap-a you face!"
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUzMu8wlpEk&feature=youtu.be

That was a stupid place to try the overtake. 2 seconds later that
central island would have been out of the way and there is no oncoming
traffic. None of the other cars had a problem overtaking on that
stretch of road.

Alycidon
April 1st 16, 09:51 AM
On Friday, 1 April 2016 09:43:52 UTC+1, Tosspot wrote:
> On 01/04/16 09:18, Alycidon wrote:
> >
> > "What's-a matter you? Hey! Gotta no respect. What-a you t'ink you do? Why you slap my car? I'm-a not too close, U should be on-a the side. Ah, shaddap-a you face!"
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUzMu8wlpEk&feature=youtu.be
>
> That was a stupid place to try the overtake. 2 seconds later that
> central island would have been out of the way and there is no oncoming
> traffic. None of the other cars had a problem overtaking on that
> stretch of road.

As per usual, he was in so much of a hurry to pass safely, but then had all the time in the world to argue the toss.

Moronic looking as well.

Bod[_5_]
April 1st 16, 10:11 AM
On 01/04/2016 09:32, Bod wrote:
> On 01/04/2016 09:18, Alycidon wrote:
>>
>> "What's-a matter you? Hey! Gotta no respect. What-a you t'ink you do?
>> Why you slap my car? I'm-a not too close, U should be on-a the side.
>> Ah, shaddap-a you face!"
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUzMu8wlpEk&feature=youtu.be
>>
> Alcydon, how come in 60 years of cycling I have never had an incident
> like that, yet you seem to show many cyclists getting aggro because of
> your silly rule of cycling in the middle of the lane when the road is
> narrow? You don't have to be a rocket scientist to realise that doing
> that will antagonise many motorists.

I notice that there is no response yet about my comments above.

--
Bod

Anthony 'Piss_Taker' Janssen
April 1st 16, 10:16 AM
Bod > wrote:
> On 01/04/2016 09:32, Bod wrote:
>> On 01/04/2016 09:18, Alycidon wrote:
>>>
>>> "What's-a matter you? Hey! Gotta no respect. What-a you t'ink you do?
>>> Why you slap my car? I'm-a not too close, U should be on-a the side.
>>> Ah, shaddap-a you face!"
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUzMu8wlpEk&feature=youtu.be
>>>
>> Alcydon, how come in 60 years of cycling I have never had an incident
>> like that, yet you seem to show many cyclists getting aggro because of
>> your silly rule of cycling in the middle of the lane when the road is
>> narrow? You don't have to be a rocket scientist to realise that doing
>> that will antagonise many motorists.
>>
> I notice that there is no response yet about my comments above.

Maybe he assumed you were trolling.

I know I did.
--
john smith |MA (Hons)|MPhil (Hons)|CAPES (mention très bien)|LLB (Hons)
'It never gets any easier. You just get faster'

Alycidon
April 1st 16, 10:20 AM
On Friday, 1 April 2016 10:11:38 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
> On 01/04/2016 09:32, Bod wrote:
> > On 01/04/2016 09:18, Alycidon wrote:
> >>
> >> "What's-a matter you? Hey! Gotta no respect. What-a you t'ink you do?
> >> Why you slap my car? I'm-a not too close, U should be on-a the side.
> >> Ah, shaddap-a you face!"
> >>
> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUzMu8wlpEk&feature=youtu.be
> >>
> > Alcydon, how come in 60 years of cycling I have never had an incident
> > like that, yet you seem to show many cyclists getting aggro because of
> > your silly rule of cycling in the middle of the lane when the road is
> > narrow? You don't have to be a rocket scientist to realise that doing
> > that will antagonise many motorists.
> >
> I notice that there is no response yet about my comments above.

The only silly bit was the overtake in a pinch point.

RULE 153.
Traffic-calming measures. On some roads there are features such as road humps, chicanes and narrowings which are intended to slow you down. When you approach these features reduce your speed. Allow cyclists and motorcyclists room to pass through them.

Maintain a reduced speed along the whole of the stretch of road within the calming measures. Give way to oncoming road users if directed to do so by signs. *****You should not overtake other moving road users while in these areas.******

Bod[_5_]
April 1st 16, 10:23 AM
On 01/04/2016 10:16, Anthony '****_Taker' Janssen wrote:
> Bod > wrote:

>>> Alcydon, how come in 60 years of cycling I have never had an incident
>>> like that, yet you seem to show many cyclists getting aggro because of
>>> your silly rule of cycling in the middle of the lane when the road is
>>> narrow? You don't have to be a rocket scientist to realise that doing
>>> that will antagonise many motorists.
>>>
>> I notice that there is no response yet about my comments above.
>
> Maybe he assumed you were trolling.
>
> I know I did.

Perhaps you've never seen my posts before (which I find hard to believe).
If you had, you'd *know* that I generally support the cyclists side.

--
Bod

Bod[_5_]
April 1st 16, 10:26 AM
On 01/04/2016 10:20, Alycidon wrote:
> On Friday, 1 April 2016 10:11:38 UTC+1, Bod wrote:

>>> Alcydon, how come in 60 years of cycling I have never had an incident
>>> like that, yet you seem to show many cyclists getting aggro because of
>>> your silly rule of cycling in the middle of the lane when the road is
>>> narrow? You don't have to be a rocket scientist to realise that doing
>>> that will antagonise many motorists.
>>>
>> I notice that there is no response yet about my comments above.
>
> The only silly bit was the overtake in a pinch point.
>
> RULE 153.
> Traffic-calming measures. On some roads there are features such as road humps, chicanes and narrowings which are intended to slow you down. When you approach these features reduce your speed. Allow cyclists and motorcyclists room to pass through them.
>
> Maintain a reduced speed along the whole of the stretch of road within the calming measures. Give way to oncoming road users if directed to do so by signs. *****You should not overtake other moving road users while in these areas.******

I agree with you that that bloke was a bit of a plonker and could and
should've overtaked way before the pinch point, but the altercation
would never have happened if the cyclist had stayed within about 2ft
from the kerb. Most potholes and drains are within 2ft of the kerb.

--
Bod

Anthony 'Piss_Taker' Janssen
April 1st 16, 10:28 AM
Bod > wrote:
> On 01/04/2016 10:16, Anthony '****_Taker' Janssen wrote:
>> Bod > wrote:

>>> I notice that there is no response yet about my comments above.
>>
>> Maybe he assumed you were trolling.
>>
>> I know I did.
>>
> Perhaps you've never seen my posts before (which I find hard to believe).
> If you had, you'd *know* that I generally support the cyclists side.

I have seen your posts, and am aware of your general position. I thus find
your point above somewhat incongruous - more like something I'd expect from
one of the group psychopaths.

The 'silly rule' of cycling in the middle of the lane when the road is
narrow is the riding position recommended (AFAIR) by British Cycling, the
Department of Transport, TFL and many others. Yes, it probably does
result in a fair degree of frustration at psychopaths who cannot abide the
prospect of having to take their right foot off of the accelerator for
fifteen seconds.

But that's just too bad.

--
john smith |MA (Hons)|MPhil (Hons)|CAPES (mention très bien)|LLB (Hons)
'It never gets any easier. You just get faster'
(Greg LeMond (1961 - ))

Bod[_5_]
April 1st 16, 10:41 AM
On 01/04/2016 10:28, Anthony '****_Taker' Janssen wrote:
> Bod > wrote:

>>> Maybe he assumed you were trolling.
>>>
>>> I know I did.
>>>
>> Perhaps you've never seen my posts before (which I find hard to believe).
>> If you had, you'd *know* that I generally support the cyclists side.
>
> I have seen your posts, and am aware of your general position. I thus find
> your point above somewhat incongruous - more like something I'd expect from
> one of the group psychopaths.
>
> The 'silly rule' of cycling in the middle of the lane when the road is
> narrow is the riding position recommended (AFAIR) by British Cycling, the
> Department of Transport, TFL and many others. Yes, it probably does
> result in a fair degree of frustration at psychopaths who cannot abide the
> prospect of having to take their right foot off of the accelerator for
> fifteen seconds.
>
> But that's just too bad.

Where I live I've only encountered 1 cyclist adopting the middle lane
tactic in the 12 years I've lived here. I am surrounded by narrow
country lanes and have often cycled on them and as I said earlier I've
never had any problems with any motor vehicle. If I hear a car behind
me, I'll either move over closer to the edge of the verge or if there's
a pothole
there I'll stop and let the car past. I always get a thankyou from the
drivers. I now cycle on off road gravel paths mainly now though.
When I'm driving my car, most cyclists do the same as I do. Everyones
happy.
--
Bod

Anthony 'Piss_Taker' Janssen
April 1st 16, 10:48 AM
Bod > wrote:

> If I hear a car behind me, I'll either move over closer to the edge of
> the verge or if there's a pothole there I'll stop and let the car past.

Do you doff your cap whilst you're at it?

--
john smith |MA (Hons)|MPhil (Hons)|CAPES (mention très bien)|LLB (Hons)
'It never gets any easier. You just get faster'
(Greg LeMond (1961 - ))

Alycidon
April 1st 16, 10:52 AM
On Friday, 1 April 2016 10:50:03 UTC+1, Anthony '****_Taker' Janssen wrote:
> Bod > wrote:
>
> > If I hear a car behind me, I'll either move over closer to the edge of
> > the verge or if there's a pothole there I'll stop and let the car past.
>
> Do you doff your cap whilst you're at it?
>
> --
> john smith |MA (Hons)|MPhil (Hons)|CAPES (mention très bien)|LLB (Hons)
> 'It never gets any easier. You just get faster'
> (Greg LeMond (1961 - ))

Same as those saddoes who thank a driver profusely while scuttling over a zebra crossing where they have 100% right of way.

Anthony 'Piss_Taker' Janssen
April 1st 16, 10:58 AM
Alycidon > wrote:
> On Friday, 1 April 2016 10:50:03 UTC+1, Anthony '****_Taker' Janssen wrote:
>> Bod > wrote:

> > If I hear a car behind me, I'll either move over closer to the edge of
>> > the verge or if there's a pothole there I'll stop and let the car
>> > past.

>> Do you doff your cap whilst you're at it?

> Same as those saddoes who thank a driver profusely while scuttling over a
> zebra crossing where they have 100% right of way.

Indeed. I have no problem with letting other traffic pass me when it is
safe for them to do so, but _only_ when it is safe. And if they have a
problem with that, then that's too bad. Bod seems to acknowledge some
sort of pecking order in which cars are above bicycles. The reverse is
true, as has been demonstrated many times: cyclists (and pedestrians and
horse riders) use the public highway as a matter of right at common law - a
right which cannot be infringed. Drivers use the public highway under
licence, and there is as such no 'right' for them to be there, much less
for them to get past a cyclist because the latter 'is holding them up'.

--
john smith |MA (Hons)|MPhil (Hons)|CAPES (mention très bien)|LLB (Hons)
'It never gets any easier. You just get faster'
(Greg LeMond (1961 - ))

Tom Crispin[_5_]
April 1st 16, 11:31 AM
On Friday, April 1, 2016 at 10:11:38 AM UTC+1, Bod wrote:
> On 01/04/2016 09:32, Bod wrote:
> > On 01/04/2016 09:18, Alycidon wrote:
> >>
> >> "What's-a matter you? Hey! Gotta no respect. What-a you t'ink you do?
> >> Why you slap my car? I'm-a not too close, U should be on-a the side.
> >> Ah, shaddap-a you face!"
> >>
> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUzMu8wlpEk&feature=youtu.be
> >>
> > Alcydon, how come in 60 years of cycling I have never had an incident
> > like that, yet you seem to show many cyclists getting aggro because of
> > your silly rule of cycling in the middle of the lane when the road is
> > narrow? You don't have to be a rocket scientist to realise that doing
> > that will antagonise many motorists.
> >
> I notice that there is no response yet about my comments above.
>
> --
> Bod

It is a bit of a silly way of putting across your point.

The general question is about whether cyclists who feel uncomfortable being overtaken should "take the lane" to prevent overtaking, even if this risks antagonising a minority of motorists.

As my previous posts have demonstrated, there has been a vast increase in cycling in London since the 1980s. This is only now resulting in a reallocation of road space from motorists back to non-motorists. Occasional conflict between individual cyclists and individual motorists are bound to occur. It is not the norm, and, thankfully, rare.

Sometimes the motorist is to blame, sometime the cyclist is to blame. More often they are both to blame.

Tom Crispin[_5_]
April 1st 16, 11:38 AM
On Friday, April 1, 2016 at 10:41:43 AM UTC+1, Bod wrote:
> On 01/04/2016 10:28, Anthony '****_Taker' Janssen wrote:
> > Bod > wrote:

> >> Perhaps you've never seen my posts before (which I find hard to believe).
> >> If you had, you'd *know* that I generally support the cyclists side.
> >
> > I have seen your posts, and am aware of your general position. I thus find
> > your point above somewhat incongruous - more like something I'd expect from
> > one of the group psychopaths.
> >
> > The 'silly rule' of cycling in the middle of the lane when the road is
> > narrow is the riding position recommended (AFAIR) by British Cycling, the
> > Department of Transport, TFL and many others. Yes, it probably does
> > result in a fair degree of frustration at psychopaths who cannot abide the
> > prospect of having to take their right foot off of the accelerator for
> > fifteen seconds.
> >
> > But that's just too bad.
> >
> Where I live I've only encountered 1 cyclist adopting the middle lane
> tactic in the 12 years I've lived here. I am surrounded by narrow
> country lanes and have often cycled on them and as I said earlier I've
> never had any problems with any motor vehicle. If I hear a car behind
> me, I'll either move over closer to the edge of the verge or if there's
> a pothole
> there I'll stop and let the car past. I always get a thankyou from the
> drivers. I now cycle on off road gravel paths mainly now though.
> When I'm driving my car, most cyclists do the same as I do. Everyones
> happy.
> --
> Bod

There is a world of difference between cycling in the countryside for leisure and city commuting.

I have cycled slowly up Pyrenean and Alpine cols on a laden touring bicycle and have both been treated respectfully by motorists and have, I hope, been respectful to motorists.

I have also cycled as a city commuter and have been treated with contempt by motorists - I am also guilty of the occasional selfish behaviour.

Selfish behaviour seems to increase with congestion.

Bod[_5_]
April 1st 16, 11:57 AM
On 01/04/2016 10:48, Anthony '****_Taker' Janssen wrote:
> Bod > wrote:
>
>> If I hear a car behind me, I'll either move over closer to the edge of
>> the verge or if there's a pothole there I'll stop and let the car past.
>
> Do you doff your cap whilst you're at it?

If I had a cap on, then why not. I'm a considerate bloke.

--
Bod

Rob Morley
April 1st 16, 02:57 PM
On Fri, 1 Apr 2016 10:26:50 +0100
Bod > wrote:

> I agree with you that that bloke was a bit of a plonker and could and
> should've overtaked way before the pinch point, but the altercation
> would never have happened if the cyclist had stayed within about 2ft
> from the kerb. Most potholes and drains are within 2ft of the kerb.

I disagree - there wasn't room for the van and cyclist to pass safely
through the pinch point even if the cyclist had been riding in the
gutter - indeed if he had been riding in the gutter I expect he'd have
ended up falling on the pavement. The driver should have realised this
and held back rather than expecting the cyclist to disappear. If a
moving vehicle is close enough to get kicked or slapped than it's too
close. We may choose to filter in stationary or crawling traffic
because the kinetic energy involved is relatively low, but drivers make
the mistake of thinking they can pass that close when they're doing
30mph+.

jnugent
April 1st 16, 04:06 PM
On 01/04/2016 09:32, Bod wrote:

> On 01/04/2016 09:18, Alycidon wrote:
>
>> "What's-a matter you? Hey! Gotta no respect. What-a you t'ink you do?
>> Why you slap my car? I'm-a not too close, U should be on-a the side.
>> Ah, shaddap-a you face!"
>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUzMu8wlpEk&feature=youtu.be
>
> Alcydon, how come in 60 years of cycling I have never had an incident
> like that, yet you seem to show many cyclists getting aggro because of
> your silly rule of cycling in the middle of the lane when the road is
> narrow? You don't have to be a rocket scientist to realise that doing
> that will antagonise many motorists.

And he wonders why so many people from the Hull area throw things at him
whenever they recognise him (or "accidentally" cost him money, eg, when
he's having his car repaired).

jnugent
April 1st 16, 04:07 PM
On 01/04/2016 10:41, Bod wrote:
> On 01/04/2016 10:28, Anthony '****_Taker' Janssen wrote:
>> Bod > wrote:

>>> Perhaps you've never seen my posts before (which I find hard to
>>> believe).
>>> If you had, you'd *know* that I generally support the cyclists side.
>>
>> I have seen your posts, and am aware of your general position. I thus
>> find
>> your point above somewhat incongruous - more like something I'd expect
>> from
>> one of the group psychopaths.
>>
>> The 'silly rule' of cycling in the middle of the lane when the road is
>> narrow is the riding position recommended (AFAIR) by British Cycling, the
>> Department of Transport, TFL and many others. Yes, it probably does
>> result in a fair degree of frustration at psychopaths who cannot abide
>> the
>> prospect of having to take their right foot off of the accelerator for
>> fifteen seconds.
>>
>> But that's just too bad.
>>
> Where I live I've only encountered 1 cyclist adopting the middle lane
> tactic in the 12 years I've lived here. I am surrounded by narrow
> country lanes and have often cycled on them and as I said earlier I've
> never had any problems with any motor vehicle. If I hear a car behind
> me, I'll either move over closer to the edge of the verge or if there's
> a pothole
> there I'll stop and let the car past. I always get a thankyou from the
> drivers. I now cycle on off road gravel paths mainly now though.
> When I'm driving my car, most cyclists do the same as I do. Everyones
> happy.

Yitzhak doesn't *want* everyone to be happy.

Neither does mason.

Alycidon
April 1st 16, 04:09 PM
On Friday, 1 April 2016 14:57:31 UTC+1, Rob Morley wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Apr 2016 10:26:50 +0100
> Bod > wrote:
>
> > I agree with you that that bloke was a bit of a plonker and could and
> > should've overtaked way before the pinch point, but the altercation
> > would never have happened if the cyclist had stayed within about 2ft
> > from the kerb. Most potholes and drains are within 2ft of the kerb.
> >
> I disagree - there wasn't room for the van and cyclist to pass safely
> through the pinch point even if the cyclist had been riding in the
> gutter - indeed if he had been riding in the gutter I expect he'd have
> ended up falling on the pavement. The driver should have realised this
> and held back rather than expecting the cyclist to disappear. If a
> moving vehicle is close enough to get kicked or slapped than it's too
> close. We may choose to filter in stationary or crawling traffic
> because the kinetic energy involved is relatively low, but drivers make
> the mistake of thinking they can pass that close when they're doing
> 30mph+.

Indeed - and light years away from the HC's own advice on safe passing.

bit.ly/23Tq0Ol

Kerr Mudd-John
April 1st 16, 09:36 PM
On Fri, 01 Apr 2016 11:57:51 +0100, Bod > wrote:

> On 01/04/2016 10:48, Anthony '****_Taker' Janssen wrote:
>> Bod > wrote:
>>
>>> If I hear a car behind me, I'll either move over closer to the edge of
>>> the verge or if there's a pothole there I'll stop and let the car past.
>>
>> Do you doff your cap whilst you're at it?
>>
> If I had a cap on, then why not. I'm a considerate bloke.

Helmet wars thread alert!

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug

Bod[_5_]
April 2nd 16, 11:19 AM
On 01/04/2016 21:36, Kerr Mudd-John wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Apr 2016 11:57:51 +0100, Bod > wrote:

>>> Do you doff your cap whilst you're at it?
>>>
>> If I had a cap on, then why not. I'm a considerate bloke.
>>
> Helmet wars thread alert!

Unlike you and a few others, I am not at war with motorists.
Politeness and courtesy costs nothing, but goes a long way.

--
Bod

Rob Morley
April 2nd 16, 01:53 PM
On Sat, 2 Apr 2016 11:19:23 +0100
Bod > wrote:

> On 01/04/2016 21:36, Kerr Mudd-John wrote:
> > On Fri, 01 Apr 2016 11:57:51 +0100, Bod >
> > wrote:

> >> If I had a cap on, then why not. I'm a considerate bloke.
> >>
> > Helmet wars thread alert!
> >
> Unlike you and a few others, I am not at war with motorists.
> Politeness and courtesy costs nothing, but goes a long way.

Helmet wars isn't a cyclist vs. non-cyclist thing, although it may
sometimes appear that way. But I'm happy to hear that you think a cap
is suitable cycling garb - I have a selection of stylish and practical
hats that I wear on and off the bike. And a helmet, just in case I
want to participate in an event that requires such, although I'm not
sure I could bring myself to do that.

Bod[_5_]
April 2nd 16, 01:56 PM
On 02/04/2016 13:53, Rob Morley wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Apr 2016 11:19:23 +0100
> Bod > wrote:
>
>> On 01/04/2016 21:36, Kerr Mudd-John wrote:

>>> Helmet wars thread alert!
>>>
>> Unlike you and a few others, I am not at war with motorists.
>> Politeness and courtesy costs nothing, but goes a long way.
>>
> Helmet wars isn't a cyclist vs. non-cyclist thing, although it may
> sometimes appear that way. But I'm happy to hear that you think a cap
> is suitable cycling garb - I have a selection of stylish and practical
> hats that I wear on and off the bike. And a helmet, just in case I
> want to participate in an event that requires such, although I'm not
> sure I could bring myself to do that.

I never wear any caps or helmets on my bike.

--
Bod

Alycidon
April 2nd 16, 01:58 PM
On Saturday, 2 April 2016 13:53:40 UTC+1, Rob Morley wrote:

> Helmet wars isn't a cyclist vs. non-cyclist thing, although it may
> sometimes appear that way. But I'm happy to hear that you think a cap
> is suitable cycling garb - I have a selection of stylish and practical
> hats that I wear on and off the bike. And a helmet, just in case I
> want to participate in an event that requires such, although I'm not
> sure I could bring myself to do that.

When I used to ride time trials all I did was slick my hair back with hair gel to get more aero.

Rob Morley
April 2nd 16, 02:18 PM
On Sat, 2 Apr 2016 05:58:34 -0700 (PDT)
Alycidon > wrote:

> On Saturday, 2 April 2016 13:53:40 UTC+1, Rob Morley wrote:
>
> > Helmet wars isn't a cyclist vs. non-cyclist thing, although it may
> > sometimes appear that way. But I'm happy to hear that you think a
> > cap is suitable cycling garb - I have a selection of stylish and
> > practical hats that I wear on and off the bike. And a helmet, just
> > in case I want to participate in an event that requires such,
> > although I'm not sure I could bring myself to do that.
>
> When I used to ride time trials all I did was slick my hair back with
> hair gel to get more aero.

I found a standard issue hardshell helmet was worth a few seconds in a
time trial. I wore lids fairly often on commutes and club runs too[1],
unless the weather was too warm, but in all the time I wore them I
never hit the road with my head (or styrofoam hat) and they didn't
prevent a broken wrist.
A peaked cap was much more useful, keeping rain and headlights out of
my eyes.

[1] Particularly in bad weather, when retroreflective bits increased my
visibility to others, and I was more likely to slide off on a corner.
A helmet might be useful as a platform for lights, mirrors, cameras but
I've not been in a situation to try those apart from a brief
unsuccessful trial of a mirror (the ones that attach to glasses seem
easier to use).

Bod[_5_]
April 2nd 16, 02:29 PM
On 02/04/2016 13:58, Alycidon wrote:
> On Saturday, 2 April 2016 13:53:40 UTC+1, Rob Morley wrote:
>
>> Helmet wars isn't a cyclist vs. non-cyclist thing, although it may
>> sometimes appear that way. But I'm happy to hear that you think a cap
>> is suitable cycling garb - I have a selection of stylish and practical
>> hats that I wear on and off the bike. And a helmet, just in case I
>> want to participate in an event that requires such, although I'm not
>> sure I could bring myself to do that.
>
> When I used to ride time trials all I did was slick my hair back with hair gel to get more aero.

And go faster stripes on yer handlebars? ;-)

--
Bod

Rob Morley
April 2nd 16, 02:37 PM
On Sat, 2 Apr 2016 14:29:02 +0100
Bod > wrote:

> On 02/04/2016 13:58, Alycidon wrote:
> > On Saturday, 2 April 2016 13:53:40 UTC+1, Rob Morley wrote:
> >
> >> Helmet wars isn't a cyclist vs. non-cyclist thing, although it may
> >> sometimes appear that way. But I'm happy to hear that you think a
> >> cap is suitable cycling garb - I have a selection of stylish and
> >> practical hats that I wear on and off the bike. And a helmet,
> >> just in case I want to participate in an event that requires such,
> >> although I'm not sure I could bring myself to do that.
> >
> > When I used to ride time trials all I did was slick my hair back
> > with hair gel to get more aero.
> >
> And go faster stripes on yer handlebars? ;-)

Streamers - proper bikes have streamers on the handlebars. ;-)
And Spokey Dokeys.

Bod[_5_]
April 2nd 16, 03:24 PM
On 02/04/2016 14:37, Rob Morley wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Apr 2016 14:29:02 +0100
> Bod > wrote:

>>> When I used to ride time trials all I did was slick my hair back
>>> with hair gel to get more aero.
>>>
>> And go faster stripes on yer handlebars? ;-)
>>
> Streamers - proper bikes have streamers on the handlebars. ;-)
> And Spokey Dokeys.

Indeed, I wouldn't be seen dead without both of those essentials, plus
me little Union flag

--
Bod

Peter Keller[_3_]
April 3rd 16, 10:05 AM
On 03.04.2016 01:56, Bod wrote:
> On 02/04/2016 13:53, Rob Morley wrote:
>> On Sat, 2 Apr 2016 11:19:23 +0100
>> Bod > wrote:

>>> Unlike you and a few others, I am not at war with motorists.
>>> Politeness and courtesy costs nothing, but goes a long way.
>>>
>> Helmet wars isn't a cyclist vs. non-cyclist thing, although it may
>> sometimes appear that way. But I'm happy to hear that you think a cap
>> is suitable cycling garb - I have a selection of stylish and practical
>> hats that I wear on and off the bike. And a helmet, just in case I
>> want to participate in an event that requires such, although I'm not
>> sure I could bring myself to do that.
>>
> I never wear any caps or helmets on my bike.

If it is less than 5 deg I might wear a woollen beanie or balaclava.

Alycidon
April 3rd 16, 10:14 AM
On Sunday, 3 April 2016 10:05:41 UTC+1, Peter Keller wrote:

> > I never wear any caps or helmets on my bike.
> >
> If it is less than 5 deg I might wear a woollen beanie or balaclava.

The last time I wore anything on my head it was minus 13C.

Anthony 'Piss_Taker' Janssen
April 3rd 16, 12:00 PM
Tom Crispin > wrote:

> Sometimes the motorist is to blame, sometime the cyclist is to blame.
> More often they are both to blame.

Not according to official statistics, which demonstrate conclusively that
in collisions between a psychopath and another road user, the psychopath is
to blame => 70% of time.

--
john smith |MA (Hons)|MPhil (Hons)|CAPES (mention très bien)|LLB (Hons)
'It never gets any easier. You just get faster'
(Greg LeMond (1961 - ))

Peter Keller[_3_]
April 4th 16, 10:50 AM
On 03.04.2016 21:14, Alycidon wrote:
> On Sunday, 3 April 2016 10:05:41 UTC+1, Peter Keller wrote:
>

>>> I never wear any caps or helmets on my bike.
>>>
>> If it is less than 5 deg I might wear a woollen beanie or balaclava.
>
> The last time I wore anything on my head it was minus 13C.

Ouch!

Anthony 'Piss_Taker' Janssen
April 4th 16, 02:41 PM

--
john smith |MA (Hons)|MPhil (Hons)|CAPES (mention très bien)|LLB (Hons)
'It never gets any easier. You just get faster'
(Greg LeMond (1961 - ))

Rob Morley
April 4th 16, 04:10 PM
On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 21:50:50 +1200
Peter Keller > wrote:

> >> If it is less than 5 deg I might wear a woollen beanie or
> >> balaclava.
> >
> > The last time I wore anything on my head it was minus 13C.
> >
> Ouch!

Don't encourage him - it's not big and it's not clever.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home