PDA

View Full Version : PM wears no plastic hat on holiday

Alycidon
April 1st 16, 03:32 PM
QUOTE:

The Sun, the UK's largest newspaper has dropped a clanger in an article criticising Prime Minister David Cameron for riding a bike without a helmet - by wrongly claiming they are compulsory in the UK.

The News UK-owned daily published a picture of the Tory politician cycling on holiday on Lanzarote with his youngest child Florence, aged 5, sitting in a child seat on the back.

According to the newspaper, which said Number 10 Downing Street had declined to comment on the photo, "The Highway Code states that cyclists must always wear a securely fastened helmet."

That of course is incorrect; while cycle helmets are recommended (Rule 59 of the Highway Code says "should" rather than "must"), it is not compulsory for cyclists to wear one in the UK, nor indeed in Spain, where the picture was actually taken.

- See more at: http://road.cc/content/news/184697-sun-blunders-it-tells-pm-david-cameron-wear-cycle-helmet#sthash.HnSUuOrm.dpuf

Judith[_4_]
April 2nd 16, 10:44 AM
On Fri, 1 Apr 2016 07:32:02 -0700 (PDT), Alycidon > wrote:

>According to the newspaper, which said Number 10 Downing Street had declined to comment on the photo, "The Highway Code states that cyclists must always wear a securely fastened helmet."

Yes - its amazing how people just cannot read. I believe the HC also says that
cyclists should obey traffic laws.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home