PDA

View Full Version : A metre is far too close - driver banned, probably for life

Alycidon
April 15th 16, 07:35 AM
QUOTE:
"AN 87-year-old woman has been found guilty of driving without due care or attention following a crash at Thrumster which severely injured a cyclist.

Margaret Cooper denied driving too close to a bicycle being ridden by Joan Henry on the A99 on May 13 last year.

However, after her trial at Wick Sheriff Court on Thursday, Sheriff Andrew Berry said evidence showing the wrecked state of Mrs Henry's bike could only be consistent with that of a collision with another vehicle.

Giving evidence in her defence, Cooper said she thought she had passed Mrs Henry safely.

But after hearing a loud noise and looking in her rear mirror, Cooper noticed the cyclist was on the ground and stopped her Skoda Fabia.

Three eyewitnesses told the court the car Cooper was driving was travelling less than a metre away from the cyclist before she overtook.

Sheriff Andrew Berry ruled the evidence was overwhelming and said Cooper was too close to the cyclist to perform an overtaking manoeuvre safely.

Cooper, of Finistere Avenue, Falkirk, was disqualified from driving for four months and will have to resit her driving test before being allowed back on the road.

She was also fined £500."

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/Elderly-driver-87-banned-after-A99-crash-14042016.htm

jnugent
April 15th 16, 11:10 AM
On 15/04/2016 07:35, Alycidon wrote:

> QUOTE:
> "AN 87-year-old woman has been found guilty of driving without due care or attention following a crash at Thrumster which severely injured a cyclist.
> Margaret Cooper denied driving too close to a bicycle being ridden by Joan Henry on the A99 on May 13 last year.
> However, after her trial at Wick Sheriff Court on Thursday, Sheriff Andrew Berry said evidence showing the wrecked state of Mrs Henry's bike could only be consistent with that of a collision with another vehicle.
> Giving evidence in her defence, Cooper said she thought she had passed Mrs Henry safely.
> But after hearing a loud noise and looking in her rear mirror, Cooper noticed the cyclist was on the ground and stopped her Skoda Fabia.
> Three eyewitnesses told the court the car Cooper was driving was travelling less than a metre away from the cyclist before she overtook.
> Sheriff Andrew Berry ruled the evidence was overwhelming and said Cooper was too close to the cyclist to perform an overtaking manoeuvre safely.
> Cooper, of Finistere Avenue, Falkirk, was disqualified from driving for four months and will have to resit her driving test before being allowed back on the road.
> She was also fined £500."
> http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/Elderly-driver-87-banned-after-A99-crash-14042016.htm

We can all safely agree that a collision probably IS a bit too close.

Nice to see Mason exulting over the misfortunes of an octogenarian.
Let's hope that he still has all his faculties at 87.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home