PDA

View Full Version : Cycle chained to railings damaged by flying car

Alycidon
April 16th 16, 05:58 PM
Luckily, cyclist had just popped into the shops.
QUOTE:

"The driver must have then done something weird to have put the car on its head. I don't know how it happened, because it didn't look possible that somebody could get the car like that on their own."

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Car-flips-crash-Cottingham-Road-Hull/story-29122345-detail/story.html

Rob Morley
April 16th 16, 11:16 PM
On Sat, 16 Apr 2016 09:58:15 -0700 (PDT)
Alycidon > wrote:

> Luckily, cyclist had just popped into the shops.
> QUOTE:
>
> "The driver must have then done something weird to have put the car
> on its head. I don't know how it happened, because it didn't look
> possible that somebody could get the car like that on their own."
>
> http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Car-flips-crash-Cottingham-Road-Hull/story-29122345-detail/story.html

It wouldn't have to be that weird - just hit the right dip/bump while
turning at such an angle, at the right speed with the right tyre
pressure and the right amount of throttle and everything can add up to
a rollover. With some vehicles you don't even need a bump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEojIi_c2TU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYcJyoWv_3M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkZlb7Y9Fx8

jnugent
April 16th 16, 11:40 PM
On 16/04/2016 23:16, Rob Morley wrote:

> Alycidon > wrote:

>> Luckily, cyclist had just popped into the shops.
>> QUOTE:

>> "The driver must have then done something weird to have put the car
>> on its head. I don't know how it happened, because it didn't look
>> possible that somebody could get the car like that on their own."

>> http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Car-flips-crash-Cottingham-Road-Hull/story-29122345-detail/story.html

> It wouldn't have to be that weird - just hit the right dip/bump while
> turning at such an angle, at the right speed with the right tyre
> pressure and the right amount of throttle and everything can add up to
> a rollover. With some vehicles you don't even need a bump:

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEojIi_c2TU
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYcJyoWv_3M
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkZlb7Y9Fx8

Absolutely - it's easier to overturn a car or van than some might think.

Some years ago, a colleague's car skidded laterally on black ice, at
relatively low speed.

The worst part came when the offside wheels contacted the kerb on the
"wrong" side of the road (mercifully, it was early on a Saturday morning
and there was no other traffic). The car simply cartwheeled to its
offside onto the grassed verge and then onto its roof.

She climbed out after undoing her seatbelt and had a few scratches, but
was otherwise unharmed.

Simon Jester
April 17th 16, 12:47 AM
On Saturday, April 16, 2016 at 11:40:35 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:

> Absolutely - it's easier to overturn a car or van than some might think.
>
> Some years ago, a colleague's car skidded laterally on black ice, at
> relatively low speed.
>
> The worst part came when the offside wheels contacted the kerb on the
> "wrong" side of the road (mercifully, it was early on a Saturday morning
> and there was no other traffic). The car simply cartwheeled to its
> offside onto the grassed verge and then onto its roof.
>
> She climbed out after undoing her seatbelt and had a few scratches, but
> was otherwise unharmed.

Why are such inherently dangerous vehicles allowed on public roads?

Alycidon
April 17th 16, 06:42 AM
On Saturday, 16 April 2016 23:17:53 UTC+1, Rob Morley wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2016 09:58:15 -0700 (PDT)
> Alycidon > wrote:
>
> > Luckily, cyclist had just popped into the shops.
> > QUOTE:
> >
> > "The driver must have then done something weird to have put the car
> > on its head. I don't know how it happened, because it didn't look
> > possible that somebody could get the car like that on their own."
> >
> > http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Car-flips-crash-Cottingham-Road-Hull/story-29122345-detail/story.html
>
> It wouldn't have to be that weird - just hit the right dip/bump while
> turning at such an angle, at the right speed with the right tyre
> pressure and the right amount of throttle and everything can add up to
> a rollover. With some vehicles you don't even need a bump:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEojIi_c2TU
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYcJyoWv_3M
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkZlb7Y9Fx8

It was the same spot where John Cleese gave his car a good thrashing in Clockwise.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c72/jackchevelle/spots/carthrash.jpg

Nick[_4_]
April 17th 16, 10:02 AM
On 16/04/2016 23:40, JNugent wrote:

> Absolutely - it's easier to overturn a car or van than some might think.
>
> Some years ago, a colleague's car skidded laterally on black ice, at
> relatively low speed.
>
> The worst part came when the offside wheels contacted the kerb on the
> "wrong" side of the road (mercifully, it was early on a Saturday morning
> and there was no other traffic). The car simply cartwheeled to its
> offside onto the grassed verge and then onto its roof.
>
> She climbed out after undoing her seatbelt and had a few scratches, but
> was otherwise unharmed.

Yes, this particularly appears to be a problem with German cars.

Tom Crispin[_5_]
April 17th 16, 10:39 AM
On Sunday, April 17, 2016 at 6:43:00 AM UTC+1, Alycidon wrote:
> On Saturday, 16 April 2016 23:17:53 UTC+1, Rob Morley wrote:
> > On Sat, 16 Apr 2016 09:58:15 -0700 (PDT)
> > Alycidon > wrote:
> >
> > > Luckily, cyclist had just popped into the shops.
> > > QUOTE:
> > >
> > > "The driver must have then done something weird to have put the car
> > > on its head. I don't know how it happened, because it didn't look
> > > possible that somebody could get the car like that on their own."
> > >
> > > http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Car-flips-crash-Cottingham-Road-Hull/story-29122345-detail/story.html
> >
> > It wouldn't have to be that weird - just hit the right dip/bump while
> > turning at such an angle, at the right speed with the right tyre
> > pressure and the right amount of throttle and everything can add up to
> > a rollover. With some vehicles you don't even need a bump:
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEojIi_c2TU
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYcJyoWv_3M
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkZlb7Y9Fx8
>
> It was the same spot where John Cleese gave his car a good thrashing in Clockwise.
>
> http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c72/jackchevelle/spots/carthrash.jpg

I thought that was Faulty Towers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv0onXhyLlE

MrCheerful
April 17th 16, 03:32 PM
On 17/04/2016 17:25, JNugent wrote:
> On 17/04/2016 10:02, Nick wrote:
>
>> On 16/04/2016 23:40, JNugent wrote:
>
>>> Absolutely - it's easier to overturn a car or van than some might think.
>
>>> Some years ago, a colleague's car skidded laterally on black ice, at
>>> relatively low speed.
>>> The worst part came when the offside wheels contacted the kerb on the
>>> "wrong" side of the road (mercifully, it was early on a Saturday morning
>>> and there was no other traffic). The car simply cartwheeled to its
>>> offside onto the grassed verge and then onto its roof.
>>> She climbed out after undoing her seatbelt and had a few scratches, but
>>> was otherwise unharmed.
>
>> Yes, this particularly appears to be a problem with German cars.
>
> Does it?
>
> I'm fairly certain this was a Japanese car.

It has become more common since all cars got higher c of g as a result
of pedestrian and occupant safety requirements, which are better served
by a higher car in general. I was involved with a van on its side just
before Christmas, he ploughed into a wall to make that flip onto its
side, it then slid along the full width of the road toward me, I nearly
managed to completely avoid it, suffering minor damage to the OSR
quarter, still made it a write off, but still on the road.

jnugent
April 17th 16, 04:25 PM
On 17/04/2016 10:02, Nick wrote:

> On 16/04/2016 23:40, JNugent wrote:

>> Absolutely - it's easier to overturn a car or van than some might think.

>> Some years ago, a colleague's car skidded laterally on black ice, at
>> relatively low speed.
>> The worst part came when the offside wheels contacted the kerb on the
>> "wrong" side of the road (mercifully, it was early on a Saturday morning
>> and there was no other traffic). The car simply cartwheeled to its
>> offside onto the grassed verge and then onto its roof.
>> She climbed out after undoing her seatbelt and had a few scratches, but
>> was otherwise unharmed.

> Yes, this particularly appears to be a problem with German cars.

Does it?

I'm fairly certain this was a Japanese car.

Alycidon
April 17th 16, 04:36 PM
On Sunday, 17 April 2016 10:39:38 UTC+1, Tom Crispin wrote:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkZlb7Y9Fx8
> >
> > It was the same spot where John Cleese gave his car a good thrashing in Clockwise.
> >
> > http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c72/jackchevelle/spots/carthrash.jpg
>
> I thought that was Faulty Towers.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv0onXhyLlE

My mistake - it was the petrol station 7th one down, now the McDs in the photo.

http://www.british-film-locations.com/Clockwise-1986

Nick[_4_]
April 18th 16, 12:20 PM
On 17/04/2016 15:32, MrCheerful wrote:

> It has become more common since all cars got higher c of g as a result
> of pedestrian and occupant safety requirements, which are better served
> by a higher car in general. I was involved with a van on its side just
> before Christmas, he ploughed into a wall to make that flip onto its
> side, it then slid along the full width of the road toward me, I nearly
> managed to completely avoid it, suffering minor damage to the OSR
> quarter, still made it a write off, but still on the road.

Has a cyclist's actions ever written off you car?

Nick[_4_]
April 18th 16, 12:21 PM
On 17/04/2016 16:25, JNugent wrote:
> On 17/04/2016 10:02, Nick wrote:
>
>> On 16/04/2016 23:40, JNugent wrote:
>
>>> Absolutely - it's easier to overturn a car or van than some might think.
>
>>> Some years ago, a colleague's car skidded laterally on black ice, at
>>> relatively low speed.
>>> The worst part came when the offside wheels contacted the kerb on the
>>> "wrong" side of the road (mercifully, it was early on a Saturday morning
>>> and there was no other traffic). The car simply cartwheeled to its
>>> offside onto the grassed verge and then onto its roof.
>>> She climbed out after undoing her seatbelt and had a few scratches, but
>>> was otherwise unharmed.
>
>> Yes, this particularly appears to be a problem with German cars.
>
> Does it?
>
> I'm fairly certain this was a Japanese car.

In the OP's picture it looked like a BMW.

MrCheerful
April 18th 16, 01:29 PM
On 18/04/2016 13:20, Nick wrote:
> On 17/04/2016 15:32, MrCheerful wrote:
>

>> It has become more common since all cars got higher c of g as a result
>> of pedestrian and occupant safety requirements, which are better served
>> by a higher car in general. I was involved with a van on its side just
>> before Christmas, he ploughed into a wall to make that flip onto its
>> side, it then slid along the full width of the road toward me, I nearly
>> managed to completely avoid it, suffering minor damage to the OSR
>> quarter, still made it a write off, but still on the road.
>
> Has a cyclist's actions ever written off you car?

Not yet. Neither has anyone else. But if a cyclist did, they or their
estate would get the bill.

MrCheerful
April 18th 16, 02:27 PM
On 18/04/2016 16:17, Nick wrote:
> On 18/04/2016 13:29, MrCheerful wrote:

>>> Has a cyclist's actions ever written off you car?
>>
>> Not yet. Neither has anyone else. But if a cyclist did, they or their
>> estate would get the bill.
>
> I thought you said that your car was a write off due to damage to the OSR.
>
> You can send me a bill too if you like.

I meant to imply that this is the first ever car of mine which has been
written off. I obviously was not clear enough for you. Why would you
like the bill for it?

Nick[_4_]
April 18th 16, 03:17 PM
On 18/04/2016 13:29, MrCheerful wrote:
> On 18/04/2016 13:20, Nick wrote:
>> On 17/04/2016 15:32, MrCheerful wrote:
>>

>>> It has become more common since all cars got higher c of g as a result
>>> of pedestrian and occupant safety requirements, which are better served
>>> by a higher car in general. I was involved with a van on its side just
>>> before Christmas, he ploughed into a wall to make that flip onto its
>>> side, it then slid along the full width of the road toward me, I nearly
>>> managed to completely avoid it, suffering minor damage to the OSR
>>> quarter, still made it a write off, but still on the road.
>>
>> Has a cyclist's actions ever written off you car?
>
> Not yet. Neither has anyone else. But if a cyclist did, they or their
> estate would get the bill.

I thought you said that your car was a write off due to damage to the OSR.

You can send me a bill too if you like.

jnugent
April 18th 16, 03:42 PM
On 18/04/2016 12:21, Nick wrote:

> On 17/04/2016 16:25, JNugent wrote:

>>> Yes, this particularly appears to be a problem with German cars.

>> Does it?
>> I'm fairly certain this was a Japanese car.

> In the OP's picture it looked like a BMW.

I am sure that the incident involving my colleague was neither
photographed nor filmed so it isn't obvious what you can be talking about.

As it happens, most BMWs are likely to have a low centre of gravity, but
the company does make at least one SUV-type car.

Nick[_4_]
April 18th 16, 03:45 PM
On 18/04/2016 14:27, MrCheerful wrote:

> I meant to imply that this is the first ever car of mine which has been
> written off. I obviously was not clear enough for you. Why would you
> like the bill for it?

Saves money on toilet paper.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home