PDA

View Full Version : Why do drivers hit and run?

Alycidon
April 21st 16, 08:17 PM
QUOTE:
"Department for Transport (DfT) data highlights (sic) that in 2014 there were a total of 163,554 road traffic accidents where an injury was sustained and in just over 10% of these accidents a 'hit and run' driver was involved.

There are serious consequences for drivers who leave the scene of an accident** and often their victims and families suffer potentially long-term physical and emotional impacts which can have significant financial implications."

https://www.mib.org.uk/media-centre/news/2016/april/new-research-shows-why-drivers-hit-and-run/

Rob Morley
April 22nd 16, 12:33 AM
On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 12:17:29 -0700 (PDT)
Alycidon > wrote:

> QUOTE:
> "Department for Transport (DfT) data highlights (sic) that in 2014
> there were a total of 163,554 road traffic accidents where an injury
> was sustained and in just over 10% of these accidents a 'hit and run'
> driver was involved.
>
> There are serious consequences for drivers who leave the scene of an
> accident** and often their victims and families suffer potentially
> long-term physical and emotional impacts which can have significant
> financial implications."
>
> https://www.mib.org.uk/media-centre/news/2016/april/new-research-shows-why-drivers-hit-and-run/

“As relatively little previous work in relation to ‘hit and run’
accidents has included any personal engagement with offenders, this
research is fairly novel."

Well yes, you have to catch (and in this case convict) the perp before
you can ask him why he ran. I wonder how different the responses would
be if they hadn’t been convicted.

jnugent
April 22nd 16, 01:27 PM
On 22/04/2016 00:33, Rob Morley wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 12:17:29 -0700 (PDT)
> Alycidon > wrote:

>> QUOTE:
>> "Department for Transport (DfT) data highlights (sic) that in 2014
>> there were a total of 163,554 road traffic accidents where an injury
>> was sustained and in just over 10% of these accidents a 'hit and run'
>> driver was involved.

>> There are serious consequences for drivers who leave the scene of an
>> accident** and often their victims and families suffer potentially
>> long-term physical and emotional impacts which can have significant
>> financial implications."

>> https://www.mib.org.uk/media-centre/news/2016/april/new-research-shows-why-drivers-hit-and-run/

> “As relatively little previous work in relation to ‘hit and run’
> accidents has included any personal engagement with offenders, this
> research is fairly novel."

> Well yes, you have to catch (and in this case convict) the perp before
> you can ask him why he ran. I wonder how different the responses would
> be if they hadn’t been convicted.

And it isn't even as though anonymised risk-free-to-participant surveys
are going to be useful because of the distinct possibility of mischief
by fantasists.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home