PDA

View Full Version : "After driving a car for a week, I have decided to stick to cycling"

Bod[_5_]
April 22nd 16, 10:19 AM
Ok, this is Australia, but the sentiment is probably universal.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/after-driving-a-car-for-a-week-i-have-decided-to-stick-to-cycling/news-story/a3cd52a51e6d327c5e4190c4258b4a93
--
Bod

Alycidon
April 22nd 16, 10:28 AM
On Friday, 22 April 2016 10:20:10 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
> Ok, this is Australia, but the sentiment is probably universal.
>
> http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/after-driving-a-car-for-a-week-i-have-decided-to-stick-to-cycling/news-story/a3cd52a51e6d327c5e4190c4258b4a93
> --
> Bod

Yup - cycled to work for the last 15 years of my job, saved £15000 in fuel and retired fit and healthy.

Must get back into it this summer as I have not even ridden my new bike yet..

skate
April 22nd 16, 10:54 AM
On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 10:19:46 +0100, Bod > wrote:

>Ok, this is Australia, but the sentiment is probably universal.
>
>http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/after-driving-a-car-for-a-week-i-have-decided-to-stick-to-cycling/news-story/a3cd52a51e6d327c5e4190c4258b4a93

Read the comments section on that story and it's just like reading urc
- the good, the bad and the ugly!

There are surprising similar sentiments being expressed for and
against cyclists and cycling.

Bod[_5_]
April 22nd 16, 11:04 AM
On 22/04/2016 10:28, Alycidon wrote:
> On Friday, 22 April 2016 10:20:10 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
>> Ok, this is Australia, but the sentiment is probably universal.
>>
>> http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/after-driving-a-car-for-a-week-i-have-decided-to-stick-to-cycling/news-story/a3cd52a51e6d327c5e4190c4258b4a93
>> --
>> Bod
>
> Yup - cycled to work for the last 15 years of my job, saved £15000 in fuel and retired fit and healthy.
>
> Must get back into it this summer as I have not even ridden my new bike yet.

What make and a brief description of it?

--
Bod

Bod[_5_]
April 22nd 16, 11:18 AM
On 22/04/2016 10:54, skate wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 10:19:46 +0100, Bod > wrote:
>
>> Ok, this is Australia, but the sentiment is probably universal.
>>
>> http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/after-driving-a-car-for-a-week-i-have-decided-to-stick-to-cycling/news-story/a3cd52a51e6d327c5e4190c4258b4a93
>
> Read the comments section on that story and it's just like reading urc
> - the good, the bad and the ugly!
>
> There are surprising similar sentiments being expressed for and
> against cyclists and cycling.

Yup and the whingers are the usual ones who complain that cyclists don't
pay tax/insurance etc, despite those laws being made by politicians and
not cyclists. Also the moaners refer to *all* cyclists being scum in
their rants, which is obviously not true.
In 60 odd years of cycling and driving I have never encountered any
problems/arguments with either a cyclist or a driver. I can't be the
only one.
--
Bod

MrCheerful
April 22nd 16, 11:37 AM
On 22/04/2016 11:28, Alycidon wrote:
> On Friday, 22 April 2016 10:20:10 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
>> Ok, this is Australia, but the sentiment is probably universal.
>>
>> http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/after-driving-a-car-for-a-week-i-have-decided-to-stick-to-cycling/news-story/a3cd52a51e6d327c5e4190c4258b4a93
>> --
>> Bod
>
> Yup - cycled to work for the last 15 years of my job, saved £15000 in fuel and retired fit and healthy.
>
> Must get back into it this summer as I have not even ridden my new bike yet.

But how much is your pension pot and how valuable is your mansion?

jnugent
April 22nd 16, 12:46 PM
On 22/04/2016 10:54, skate wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 10:19:46 +0100, Bod > wrote:

>> Ok, this is Australia, but the sentiment is probably universal.

It is in line with experiences here and eleewhere.

>> http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/after-driving-a-car-for-a-week-i-have-decided-to-stick-to-cycling/news-story/a3cd52a51e6d327c5e4190c4258b4a93

> Read the comments section on that story and it's just like reading urc
> - the good, the bad and the ugly!
> There are surprising similar sentiments being expressed for and
> against cyclists and cycling.

Cyclists are unpopular in all advanced-economy countries. That's as far
as one can tell, of course - the reports do seem to be similar.

This is usually "explained" by cyclists as some sort of fault with other
people.

jnugent
April 22nd 16, 12:50 PM
On 22/04/2016 11:18, Bod wrote:

> On 22/04/2016 10:54, skate wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 10:19:46 +0100, Bod > wrote:
>
>>> Ok, this is Australia, but the sentiment is probably universal.
>
>>> http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/after-driving-a-car-for-a-week-i-have-decided-to-stick-to-cycling/news-story/a3cd52a51e6d327c5e4190c4258b4a93
>
>> Read the comments section on that story and it's just like reading urc
>> - the good, the bad and the ugly!
>> There are surprising similar sentiments being expressed for and
>> against cyclists and cycling.

> Yup and the whingers are the usual ones who complain that cyclists don't
> pay tax/insurance etc, despite those laws being made by politicians and
> not cyclists. Also the moaners refer to *all* cyclists being scum in
> their rants, which is obviously not true.

I'm not sure that many people are all that bothered about the Road Tax
issue, though in the heat of the moment, it may come to mind as a grievance.

Insurance (or lack of it), road skills (or the lack of them) and the
absence of means of making cyclists accountable for transgressions are
more important.

> In 60 odd years of cycling and driving I have never encountered any
> problems/arguments with either a cyclist or a driver. I can't be the
> only one.

You aren't. But you (with respect) are "old school", brought up to
respect the rights of others and to expect others to respect yours.

Most cyclists are not.

Bod[_5_]
April 22nd 16, 01:12 PM
On 22/04/2016 12:50, JNugent wrote:
> On 22/04/2016 11:18, Bod wrote:

>>> Read the comments section on that story and it's just like reading urc
>>> - the good, the bad and the ugly!
>>> There are surprising similar sentiments being expressed for and
>>> against cyclists and cycling.
>
>> Yup and the whingers are the usual ones who complain that cyclists don't
>> pay tax/insurance etc, despite those laws being made by politicians and
>> not cyclists. Also the moaners refer to *all* cyclists being scum in
>> their rants, which is obviously not true.
>
> I'm not sure that many people are all that bothered about the Road Tax
> issue, though in the heat of the moment, it may come to mind as a
> grievance.
>
> Insurance (or lack of it), road skills (or the lack of them) and the
> absence of means of making cyclists accountable for transgressions are
> more important.
>
>> In 60 odd years of cycling and driving I have never encountered any
>> problems/arguments with either a cyclist or a driver. I can't be the
>> only one.
>
> You aren't. But you (with respect) are "old school", brought up to
> respect the rights of others and to expect others to respect yours.
>
> Most cyclists are not.

Correct with the old school manners/respect etc.

--
Bod

Alycidon
April 22nd 16, 01:36 PM
On Friday, 22 April 2016 10:54:37 UTC+1, skate wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 10:19:46 +0100, Bod > wrote:
>
> >Ok, this is Australia, but the sentiment is probably universal.
> >
> >http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/after-driving-a-car-for-a-week-i-have-decided-to-stick-to-cycling/news-story/a3cd52a51e6d327c5e4190c4258b4a93
>
> Read the comments section on that story and it's just like reading urc
> - the good, the bad and the ugly!
>
> There are surprising similar sentiments being expressed for and
> against cyclists and cycling.

They are like Pavlov's Dogs, aren't they?
Same old tired Daily Fail ignoramus comments from fat, envious middle aged blokes.

jnugent
April 22nd 16, 01:56 PM
On 22/04/2016 13:36, Alycidon wrote:
> On Friday, 22 April 2016 10:54:37 UTC+1, skate wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 10:19:46 +0100, Bod > wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, this is Australia, but the sentiment is probably universal.
>>>
>>> http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/after-driving-a-car-for-a-week-i-have-decided-to-stick-to-cycling/news-story/a3cd52a51e6d327c5e4190c4258b4a93
>>
>> Read the comments section on that story and it's just like reading urc
>> - the good, the bad and the ugly!
>>
>> There are surprising similar sentiments being expressed for and
>> against cyclists and cycling.
>
> They are like Pavlov's Dogs, aren't they?
> Same old tired Daily Fail ignoramus comments from fat, envious middle aged blokes.

Does the Mail sell many copies in Australia?

Anthony 'Piss_Taker' Janssen
April 22nd 16, 02:02 PM
JNugent > wrote:
> On 22/04/2016 10:54, skate wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 10:19:46 +0100, Bod > wrote:

>>> Ok, this is Australia, but the sentiment is probably universal.

> It is in line with experiences here and eleewhere.

>>> http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/after-driving-a-car-for-a-week-i-have-decided-to-stick-to-cycling/news-story/a3cd52a51e6d327c5e4190c4258b4a93

>> Read the comments section on that story and it's just like reading urc -
>> the good, the bad and the ugly! There are surprising similar sentiments
>> being expressed for and against cyclists and cycling.

> Cyclists are unpopular in all advanced-economy countries. That's as far
> as one can tell, of course - the reports do seem to be similar.

The troll demonstrates yet again its inability to comprehend logic.

> This is usually "explained" by cyclists as some sort of fault with other
> people.

But of course, according to you, it's all the fault of cyclists. Just as
the Holocaust was the fault of the Jews, eh?
--
john smith |MA (Hons)|MPhil (Hons)|CAPES (mention très bien)|LLB (Hons)
'It never gets any easier. You just get faster'

Anthony 'Piss_Taker' Janssen
April 22nd 16, 05:49 PM
JNugent > wrote:
> On 22/04/2016 11:18, Bod wrote:

>>> Read the comments section on that story and it's just like reading urc
>>> - the good, the bad and the ugly! There are surprising similar
>>> sentiments being expressed for and against cyclists and cycling.

>> Yup and the whingers are the usual ones who complain that cyclists don't
>> pay tax/insurance etc, despite those laws being made by politicians and
>> not cyclists. Also the moaners refer to *all* cyclists being scum in
>> their rants, which is obviously not true.

> I'm not sure that many people are all that bothered about the Road Tax
> issue, though in the heat of the moment, it may come to mind as a
> grievance.

As comments to national and local newspapers - as well as articles written
by otherwise sane, coherent journalists - have demonstrated, there is a
sizeable proportion of drivers in the UK who fully and absolutely believe
that there is such a thing as 'road tax' and that - worse - it confers on
them the 'right' to use the road. This 'right' is believed to trump the
right of all other road users to be on the public highway.

You are one of these idiots, and you have made no secret of your belief in
the existence of 'road tax'.

I do not think that these pronouncements are made 'in the heat of the
moment'.

> Insurance (or lack of it),

Insurance is a red herring, because the damage caused by cyclists and
bicycles is minimal when compared to the carnage wrought by psychopaths and
their cars (a million killed and seriously injured every year, not counting
deaths from pollution-related illnesses). Indeed, if every cyclist in the
UK decided not to buy insurance, and if every one of those cyclists
subsequently ran into cars or pedestrians, they would _still_ cause less
damage than the one _million_ uninsured drivers in England & Wales, costing
£400 million pounds of damage every single year (source: Churchill Car
Insurance FOI Request 2015).

But you don't care about insurance. You just care about baiting cyclists.

> road skills (or the lack of them)

Another red herring, because just as motorcyclists are generally far more
skilled at using the road than are psychopaths, so are cyclists. It's a
matter of survival. Crash a car, and it's the bodywork that's going to get
damaged. Crash a motorcycle or a bicycle, and the chance of sustaining
serious injury (or worse) is greatly increased. Cyclists are thus
generally very good at controlling their vehicle - far, _far_ better than
car drivers are at controlling theirs.

> and the absence of means of making cyclists accountable for
> transgressions are more important.

The third red herring in a row. Registration does not prevent the
psychopaths from butchering a million people every year. Considering the
almost insignificant potential for harm posed by cyclists [1], it is not
surprising that better minds than yours [3] have decided that it really
isn't worth it.

>> In 60 odd years of cycling and driving I have never encountered any
>> problems/arguments with either a cyclist or a driver. I can't be the
>> only one.

> You aren't. But you (with respect) are "old school", brought up to
> respect the rights of others and to expect others to respect yours.
>
> Most cyclists are not.

As I pointed out recently, there are over half a million cycle journeys
just in London, per day [4]. If that's equal to 610,000 actual people on a
bicycle at any one time, then that means millions of cyclists encountering
zebra crossings, millions of cyclists encountering pelican crossings,
millions of interactions between cyclists and pedestrians.

If anything more than a tiny minority of cyclists did not 'respect the
rights of others', then there would be tens of thousands of pedestrians
knocked down, tens of thousands of cyclists riding into cars. Chaos, in
other words.

Try to guess why it isn't, you ****ing idiot.

But it's shabbat here, and I have just poured my first glass of kosher (and
vegan) white wine. Feel free to claim I'm 'Glug' and that I'm 'drunk'.

*rofl*

You infantile, stupid ****tard.

[1] be sure to note that one down, wait for a couple of weeks, and then
announce to everyone that 'Glug [2] says that no cyclist can harm anyone'.
And then when asked to provide a link to where I in fact wrote that, you
can come over all coy and respond that I didn't actually write, 'no cyclist
can harm anyone'. LOL ... you ****ing spastic.
[2] you can tell us at the time whether it's the time-travelling one or the
real one
[3] OK, OK ... I'm not really narrowing it down, here....
[4] <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33002701>
--
john smith |MA (Hons)|MPhil (Hons)|CAPES (mention très bien)|LLB (Hons)
'It never gets any easier. You just get faster'
(Greg LeMond (1961 - ))

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home