PDA

View Full Version : Cycling in London beats all others hands down.

Alycidon
April 24th 16, 06:54 PM
QUOTE:
"How do you bear this, I wanted to shout at the packed carriage. Instead, I stared at their impassive faces. They bear it because they have no choice. They bear it because they are used to it. The whole journey took 51 minutes, but felt even longer, as changing from one form of transport makes it harder to do the journey on autopilot -- which is the only way commuters cope.."

So that just leaves the bike, which is quickest by far, the most pleasant and almost the cheapest way of getting to work. It is true that cycling is the worst commute for your hair-do and adds to your general state of bedraggledness on the 106 days on which it rains in the capital. Yet only by bike do you arrive in the perfect frame of mind for working -- with senses sharp from having dodged lorries and feeling thoroughly alive."

https://next.ft.com/content/da78957c-07ec-11e6-a623-b84d06a39ec2

MrCheerful
April 24th 16, 09:44 PM
On 24/04/2016 19:54, Alycidon wrote:
> QUOTE:
> "How do you bear this, I wanted to shout at the packed carriage. Instead, I stared at their impassive faces. They bear it because they have no choice. They bear it because they are used to it. The whole journey took 51 minutes, but felt even longer, as changing from one form of transport makes it harder to do the journey on autopilot -- which is the only way commuters cope."
>
> So that just leaves the bike, which is quickest by far, the most pleasant and almost the cheapest way of getting to work. It is true that cycling is the worst commute for your hair-do and adds to your general state of bedraggledness on the 106 days on which it rains in the capital. Yet only by bike do you arrive in the perfect frame of mind for working -- with senses sharp from having dodged lorries and feeling thoroughly alive."
>
> https://next.ft.com/content/da78957c-07ec-11e6-a623-b84d06a39ec2

I used to commute into London: 15 miles each way, it would be a minimum
of 2 hours by PT including a long walk at each end, 45 minutes by car
most days, and my best time by motorbike was 15 minutes (usually 25), so
how would a bicycle have been the best way to get there?

Peter Parry
April 24th 16, 10:25 PM
On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 10:54:13 -0700 (PDT), Alycidon
> wrote:

>So that just leaves the bike, which is quickest by far

From where I am Euston is 30 mins by train (24 miles), To the most
common places I visit there is a 15 minute walk from Euston so 45mins
overall. By pushbike it is more than 2 hours not counting the time
needed to change from smelly Lycra into yesterdays smelly suit (no
showers available). Daily journey 48 miles by train and walking is
1.5 hrs. By pushbike it is over 4 hours a day.

How does this become "quickest by far" for a pushbike?

Alycidon
April 25th 16, 05:28 AM
On Sunday, 24 April 2016 22:25:31 UTC+1, Peter Parry wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 10:54:13 -0700 (PDT), Alycidon
> > wrote:
>
> >So that just leaves the bike, which is quickest by far
>
> From where I am Euston is 30 mins by train (24 miles), To the most
> common places I visit there is a 15 minute walk from Euston so 45mins
> overall. By pushbike it is more than 2 hours not counting the time
> needed to change from smelly Lycra into yesterdays smelly suit (no
> showers available). Daily journey 48 miles by train and walking is
> 1.5 hrs. By pushbike it is over 4 hours a day.
>
> How does this become "quickest by far" for a pushbike?

Where did you get this notion about lycra being smelly? I used to shower at home, was so fit that I never perspired at all and changed in 5 mins flat while the fat, unfit and smelly cagers spent 30mins in the coffee room tring to jump start their flabby bodies into life.

Bret Cahill
April 25th 16, 06:36 AM
> >So that just leaves the bike, which is quickest by far
>
> From where I am Euston is 30 mins by train (24 miles), To the most
> common places I visit there is a 15 minute walk from Euston so 45mins
> overall. By pushbike it is more than 2 hours

I'm faster than that with asthma on a mountain bike with bad shocks.

Ever ridden an MTB with bad shocks? It's not like it reverts to a road bike with some flex in the forks. The smallest bump is jarring.

Bret Cahill

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home