PDA

View Full Version : Re: Another reason economists are dorks!

Hunrobe
July 29th 03, 06:37 PM
According to his SBSC website bio, Mr. Keating holds an MA in economics from
New York University, an MBA in banking and finance from Hofstra University, and
a BS in business administration and economics from St. Joseph`s College.
He seems to be living proof of two of my own personal theories- first, that
idealogues of *any* political persuasion are fools and second, that the almost
universal access to higher education here in the US has ruined a lot of
potentially good manual laborers.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

one of the six billion
July 29th 03, 10:45 PM
He's complaining about $6.2 million being spent over a whole year to
accomodate people who want to ride their bikes as transportation when the
U.S. is spending almost $4 billion a month to occupy Iraq, more than $130
million every day, $5 million every hour.

"Garrison Hilliard" > wrote in message
> The Car vs. the Bicycle
> by Raymond J. Keating

-------

> July 9, 2003
>
> Living in a prosperous, market economy offers countless benefits. In the
U.S.,
> that most certainly includes widespread ownership of automobiles.
>
> Indeed, one of the striking differences I've noticed over the years
between our
> nation and many undeveloped, non-market economies is that our roads have
lots of
> cars and trucks, while many of these other countries have lots of
bicycles.

> Now, don't get me wrong, I have nothing against bicycles for competitive,
> recreational and exercise purposes. However, as a primary mode of
> transportation, they most certainly leave a lot to be desired. The fact
that
> people in this country can afford to buy cars or SUVs, and don't have to
peddle
> bicycles to work and the store is a good thing.
>
> However, for more than a quarter century, some in the environmental
movement
> haven't seen things this way. They hold that the automobile is an evil
polluter
> and consumer of natural resources. These greenies would like to see many
more
> of us riding bicycles around town and to work.
>
> Unfortunately, even when Republicans are in charge of Congress such goof
ball
> ideas receive attention. Consider the energy bill that passed the U.S.
House of
> Representatives in April. The legislation includes some positive items,
such as
> opening part of ANWR to exploration, reducing some regulatory obstacles
> drilling on certain federal lands, and repealing the Public Utility
Holding
> [...]
conserve
> energy resources by encouraging the use of bicycles in place of motor
vehicles."

> The program would "use education and marketing to convert motor vehicle
trips to
> bicycle trips," "maximize bicycle facility investments," and the National
> Academy of Sciences would conduct "a study on the feasibility of
converting
> motor vehicle trips to bicycle trips."
>
> The study would evaluate the pilot projects, and "determine the type and
> duration of motor vehicle trips that people in the United States may
feasibly
> make by bicycle," of course factoring in issues like weather, land use
and
> traffic patterns, "the carrying capacity of bicycles" and "bicycle
> infrastructure." In addition, the report would "determine any energy
savings
> that would result from the conversion of motor vehicle trips to bicycle
trips"
> and perform "a cost-benefit analysis of bicycle infrastructure
investments."

> All of this for a mere $6.2 million, at least to start. Who knows how
much more
> will be spent down the road. After all, bicycle infrastructure costs
money.

> The next time a politician proclaims that government has been cut to the
bone,
> just think of this federal bicycle program, which also would require that
state
> or local governments pick up at least 20% of the cost for each pilot
project. I
> can hear politicians in the states declaring what a bargain this would be
as
> local taxpayers would only have to foot a mere one-fifth of the total
cost.

> If some people want to peddle a bicycle to their jobs or to go shopping,
that's
> their business. But no sound reason exists for the government to be
using
> taxpayer dollars to promote bicycles over motor vehicles. Government
> conservation efforts certainly don't make any sense, as the market is far
better
> equipped to gauge the proper level of conservation through prices. The
> environment is not an issue, as automobiles run cleaner than ever before.
> program like this is just a wasteful sop to a small number of
environmental
> extremists.
>
> When it comes to modes of personal transportation, it's better to let
consumers
> decide if they want to drive or peddle to work.

-------

> This column may be reprinted with appropriate credit.
>

> _______________
> Raymond J. Keating is chief economist for the Small Business Survival
Committee,
> and co-author of U.S. by the Numbers: Figuring What's Left, Right, and
Wrong
> with America State by State (Capital Books, 2000).
>

> http://www.sbsc.org/LatestNews_Action.asp?FormMode=CyberColumn

Fabrizio Mazzoleni
July 29th 03, 11:47 PM
Garrison Hilliard wrote in message ...

>by Raymond J. Keating
>>Now, don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against bicycles for competitive,
>recreational and exercise purposes. However, as a primary mode of
>transportation, they most certainly leave a lot to be desired.

Garr, nobody I know can read that much, please try
to keep your posts to ten lines or less.

Anyway, I read as far as to the part where Ray says it's
cool to be a euro type out on a oversized tubed Al frame
road bike, but it is total FREDness to use some lamer
bike as a primary mode of transport.

I agree with Ray -- DON'T BE A DAMN FRED!!!

If you need to get to work or buy the grocerys(sp?) then use
the car, that's what it's for.

Zippy the Pinhead
July 29th 03, 11:59 PM
On 29 Jul 2003 17:37:25 GMT, (Hunrobe) wrote:

>... the almost
>universal access to higher education here in the US has ruined a lot of
>potentially good manual laborers.

That's great. Consider it stolen.

Thomas Reynolds
July 30th 03, 02:23 AM
"one of the six billion" > wrote in message >...
> He's complaining about $6.2 million being spent over a whole year to
> accomodate people who want to ride their bikes as transportation when the
> U.S. is spending almost $4 billion a month to occupy Iraq, more than $130
> million every day, $5 million every hour.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Chris Neary
July 30th 03, 04:14 AM
>He's complaining about $6.2 million being spent over a whole year to
>accomodate people who want to ride their bikes as transportation when the
>U.S. is spending almost $4 billion a month to occupy Iraq, more than $130
>million every day, $5 million every hour.

Bingo.

One of the first things you learn in Econ 101 is about "Negative
Externalities".

Either Mr. Keating is too stupid to remember them, or too intellectually
dishonest to address them.

Chris Neary

"Prize the doubt, low kinds exist without"
- Inscription at Ramsmeyer Hall, Ohio State University

Tom Keats
July 30th 03, 04:37 AM
In article >,
Chris Neary > writes:

> Bingo.
>
> One of the first things you learn in Econ 101 is about "Negative
> Externalities".
>
> Either Mr. Keating is too stupid to remember them, or too intellectually
> dishonest to address them.

I think he's just trying to propaganda-ly run interference for
that other bill -- the one about cutting US federal funding
for alternative transportation measures. I'm just speculating.
But the timing arouses my suspicions.

cheers,
Tom