PDA

View Full Version : Re: Dunwich

John Hearns
July 12th 03, 08:21 AM
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:34:29 +0100, Dave Larrington wrote:

> I'm told, it won't. I'm the large one on the HP Velotechnik Speedmachine.

I'm the small one on the Orange,
with entirely too much kit hanging off it.

John Hearns
July 12th 03, 08:21 AM
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:34:29 +0100, Dave Larrington wrote:

> I'm told, it won't. I'm the large one on the HP Velotechnik Speedmachine.

I'm the small one on the Orange,
with entirely too much kit hanging off it.

Tim Henderson
July 13th 03, 03:39 PM
"John Hearns" > wrote in message >...
> Anyone else on the group doing the Dunwich Dynamo
> tomorrow night?

Well I started ! (Though by the time I got to Hackney one nut had
fallen off my second rear light so I removed it before it fell off
completely).

Got lost as usual in Hackney following the devious side roads so had
to go round the big roundabout onto Lea Bridge Road before finding the
rest of the twinkling lights (as last year).

Interesting experience where the police had blocked the main
carriageway to erect a tent in the road ( ?50 cyclists suddenly
emerging from nowhere to push their bikes 20 yards along the pavement
to the diversion).

And then just before Epping my other rear LED suddenly threw itself
onto the road and smashed.

I decided not to risk another 60 miles in the dark with no lights and
retreated back into London lit only by my flashing helmet lights.

And I was looking forward to the fairy lights , breakfast in the beach
cafe and a cooling paddle.....

(and the Shimano Nexus hub from Germany cobbled together into a front
wheel on Friday was doing nicely on the front light)

Tim

Daren Austin
July 14th 03, 08:33 PM
"John Hearns" > wrote in message >...
> Anyone else on the group doing the Dunwich Dynamo
> tomorrow night?
>
> I'm not a quarter as fit as I should be.

Brompton does 200km!...

A change in arrangements meant I was free to do the ride this year. I
left my home in OXON at 6:45 and parked in Greenford. Took the tube to
Liverpool St then cycled to the start arriving at 9:35pm. The ride was
due to start at 9pm but fortunately several groups (including the
organisers) didn't leave until 10pm.

I left with a group of couriers and after an obligatory off-license
stop, we left London at a pretty impressive pace. The ride through
Epping Forest required much use of the Nordlicht dynamo/B&M combo as
we diverted off the main road and through some rough lanes.

Once out in the country I dropped them and formed a paceline behind a
Ratcatcher ridden by Patrick. The roads were pretty smooth so the
small wheels rolled suprisingly well. I was eventually dropped and
tagged along with some Audax riders and a group from London Recumbents
at a more modest pace - they had left at 9 but stopped at a pub. Since
they had a map I rode with them until the food stop at about halfway.
Stopped for a cup of green tea and was passed again by the couriers.
The night was not too cool, beautifully clear and a fine full moon.
The candle nightlights just added to the ambience - and provided
welcome confirmation of the route.

Once at the midpoint we stopped for something to eat (not the rice -
too stodgy) and I met up with the couriers again. Stopped for about
45min and I left on my own just as the sun was rising and could now
follow the routemap with sufficient confidence that I wouldn't get
lost (still no map). By now it was pretty cold and I really needed a
windshell. This probably helped up my pace.

Joined another group and we kept up a steady pace for about 20mi until
mechanical failure meant some of the riders who were part of a group
stopped. I caught the couriers again and we rode the last 30 miles to
Dunwich at a reasonably fast pace. By now the legs were a little tired
and I was dropped on a few hills along with 2-3 other riders. Managed
to hang on and rode the long uphill drag into Dunwich arriving at
7:45.

After a cooked breakfast and taking of the sea air, Pete from
Greenwich Cyclists, who couldn't do the ride this year, gave me a lift
to Ipswich where I caught the first train to London, tube and then
drove home. An hour's nap and up in time to watch the tour live.

Those stats:
Bike: Brompton L6 - black with Flite Ti saddle and spd's
Distance: 122mi total
Av Speed: 14.4mph excluding stops
Max Speed: 38mph into Sudbury
Total time: 9hr 45min
Food: 1/2lb banana chips, 3 Boots sports bars and some orange isostar
Wish list: needed a wind shell, swimming trunks and an Optima Stinger
:-)

Most impressive rider: the American girl who rode a fixed gear in
jeans without brakes, she finshed at 8am.

Smallest bike: Mine! Folded, it got me two tube rides and a lift to
the mainline station. I also saw 1 Birdy and 2 Moultons.

So in summary, the ride is superb, the company interesting and I'll be
back next year. Not certain of bike selection yet. I'm now wondering
whether a Brompton can handle 400km (my bottom is suggesting
otherwise).

Kind regards,

Daren

John Hearns
July 15th 03, 09:40 PM
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 12:33:50 +0000, Daren Austin wrote:

> Joined another group and we kept up a steady pace for about 20mi until
> mechanical failure meant some of the riders who were part of a group
> stopped.

Hey! That was me. Good to ride with you.
That Brompton fair clips along.
I made it to Dunwich about 8:15.
Time for a swim - the sun was warm already.
The sea was cold, but very refreshing.
Lashings of tea and a full English breakfast sorted me out.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home