PDA

View Full Version : Best Bike for $4k?

UMTERP
July 5th 03, 11:08 PM
I just got hit by a car and my Litespeed Classic (Chorus 9 speed) is totalled.
Any ideas? I'm partial to Ti and steel.

Thanks,

Dave

Matt
July 6th 03, 01:25 AM
Trek 5900 Ultralight. Worth every penny IMHO.
"UMTERP" > wrote in message
> I just got hit by a car and my Litespeed Classic (Chorus 9 speed) is
totalled.
> Any ideas? I'm partial to Ti and steel.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

Keeper of the Mighty Macaulay
July 6th 03, 05:21 AM
on 7/5/03 3:08 PM, UMTERP asserted:

> I just got hit by a car and my Litespeed Classic (Chorus 9 speed) is totalled.
> Any ideas? I'm partial to Ti and steel.

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to go custom to me. There are lots of
steel builders out there- I highly recommend Vanilla
(www.vanillabicycles.com) or Waterford.

Seng

Newsgroups
July 6th 03, 04:41 PM
I just sold my Litespeed Vortex and bought a Trek 5900. Best thing I
ever did. The Litespeed was a rocket but the Trek is just as fast with
the added bonus (along with the Easton carbon bars) of absorbing much
more road shock. It's a much more comfortable ride.

Just what I've personally experienced,
Troy

UMTERP wrote:

> I just got hit by a car and my Litespeed Classic (Chorus 9 speed) is totalled.
> Any ideas? I'm partial to Ti and steel.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

Jay Hill
July 6th 03, 09:05 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> umterp-<< I just got hit by a car and my Litespeed Classic (Chorus 9 speed) is
> totalled.
> Any ideas? I'm partial to Ti and steel. >><BR><BR>
>
> Moots with Chorus

Why doesn't the Moots site say what their frames are made out of?

Frank Jaworski
July 7th 03, 01:32 AM
Serotta.............Legend Ti

"UMTERP" > wrote in message
> I just got hit by a car and my Litespeed Classic (Chorus 9 speed) is
totalled.
> Any ideas? I'm partial to Ti and steel.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

topdog
July 7th 03, 11:52 AM
Newsgroups > wrote in message >...
> I just sold my Litespeed Vortex and bought a Trek 5900. Best thing I
> ever did. The Litespeed was a rocket but the Trek is just as fast with
> the added bonus (along with the Easton carbon bars) of absorbing much
> more road shock. It's a much more comfortable ride.
>
> Just what I've personally experienced,
> Troy

I fully agree on carbon - I have been on steel and ti, and nothing
compares. A good friend recently traded his ti frame for a carbon Look
- he loved the ti until he went to carbon. He couldn't believe the
difference!

However, I'm definitely NOT a Trek fan. They're a mass-produced bike,
and just don't have the attention to details and quality I'd expect
for the price.
I agree fully with Peter's sentiment above - Calfee Tetra Pro.
Arguably the best carbon frame for under $2500. Their Luna Pro is
almost the same frame, but $1000 less for a few extra ounces of
weight.

Qui si parla Campagnolo
July 7th 03, 01:32 PM
Jay-<< Why doesn't the Moots site say what their frames are made out of?
>><BR><BR>

donno-they are all ti tho-

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

bfd
July 7th 03, 05:56 PM
(B) wrote in message >...
> >I fully agree on carbon - I have been on steel and ti, and nothing
> >compares.
>
> You know, I believe that I would like carbon. But - if I were buying a
> secondhand frame, carbon would probably not be a choice. I would not have a
> problem with a steel of ti.
> Think about it. Would you buy a 4 year old carbon frame? I would worry more
> about the aging of a carbon frame, plus the technology is still in process.

Alternatively, I've bought a USED Carbonframes and love it. My
Carbonframes Tetra Custom (now Calfee) was a 1994 model, I bought it
in 1997 with about 2,000 miles on it (or at least that's what the
previous owner told me). I average about 2000-2500 miles per year. I
have had a few things come "unglued" (right rear dropout, ti shifter
boss band). Those things were easily repaired by Calfee at little or
no cost. Further, I've crashed on the bike about 1/2 dozen times,
including a couple that caused personal injury, and NO problem with
the carbon. At least in my case, I've found that any fears about the
"aging of a carbon frame" are unwarrantied, IF the mfr is willing to
stand behind his product like Calfee does. As for "technology still in
process", that is true. Today's Calfee Tetra frames incorporate
several changes so buying a used Calfee shouldn't be a problem at
all....

Joshua Zlotlow
July 7th 03, 07:08 PM
>Subject: Re: Best Bike for $4k?
>From: (bfd)
>Date: 7/7/03 9:56 AM Pacific Daylight Time

> At least in my case, I've found that any fears about the
>"aging of a carbon frame" are unwarrantied, IF the mfr is willing to
>stand behind his product like Calfee does. As for "technology still in
>process", that is true. Today's Calfee Tetra frames incorporate
>several changes so buying a used Calfee shouldn't be a problem at
>all....

With Calfee, you can actually transfer the warranty when purchasing a used
frame for around $150 or so.
Josh Zlotlow

Sacramento, California
Sacramento Golden Wheelmen