PDA

View Full Version : Re: Cops attack critical mass cyclists with Maglites!

Jarkko Altonen
June 29th 03, 08:55 AM
"TheTaipan" > wrote:

>From my understanding the Critical Mass point is against cars...
>
>please explain - how much sympathy were you expecting by
>posting to aus.cars? Or were you just ****-stirring?

I am vehemently opposed to critical mass, which is why I began my
message by expressing the hope that the coppers start using the same
tactics against them here.

David Sutton
June 29th 03, 08:58 AM
Jerkko, you're a well-known ****wit on aus.bicycles. No-one here takes you
seriously.

> From: (Jarkko Altonen)
> Newsgroups: aus.bicycle,aus.cars,aus.politics
> Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 07:55:43 GMT
> Subject: Re: Cops attack critical mass cyclists with Maglites!
>
> "TheTaipan" > wrote:
>
>> From my understanding the Critical Mass point is against cars...
>>
>> please explain - how much sympathy were you expecting by
>> posting to aus.cars? Or were you just ****-stirring?
>
> I am vehemently opposed to critical mass, which is why I began my
> message by expressing the hope that the coppers start using the same
> tactics against them here.

Jarkko Altonen
June 29th 03, 09:01 AM
David Sutton > wrote:

>Jerkko, you're a well-known ****wit on aus.bicycles. No-one here takes you
>seriously.

Fuggoff.

Peter Cremasco
June 29th 03, 09:12 AM
On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 06:33:41 GMT, (Jarkko Altonen)
wrote:

>Let's hope the same tactics find their way across the pacific...

>Buffalo Cops Wage War on Pedal Pushers
>Iatrogenic Law Enforcement on the Niagara Frontier
>By BRUCE JACKSON
Did you even bother to read this article, before you mindlessly
cross-posted it?

If you had, you'd have perhaps detected a healthy pro-CM stance - and a
deploring of the actions dispensed to the participants.

---
Cheers

PeterC

[Rushing headlong: out of control - and there ain't no stopping]
[and there's nothing you can do about it at all]

Adam Gibson
June 29th 03, 10:31 AM
"Jarkko Altonen" > wrote in message
> David Sutton > wrote:
>
> >Jerkko, you're a well-known ****wit on aus.bicycles. No-one here takes
you
> >seriously.
>
> Fuggoff.

Good news is, I'm an aus.cars regular and I hate Jarkko too.

Adam Gibson
June 29th 03, 10:31 AM
"Jarkko Altonen" > wrote in message
> David Sutton > wrote:
>
> >Jerkko, you're a well-known ****wit on aus.bicycles. No-one here takes
you
> >seriously.
>
> Fuggoff.

Good news is, I'm an aus.cars regular and I hate Jarkko too.

John L
June 29th 03, 10:56 AM
Your spelling is about as accurate as your logic.

John L

wrote:

>I reckon they should take em out with Barretts from 1500 metres.

Jarkko Altonen
June 29th 03, 11:08 AM
John L > wrote:

>Your spelling is about as accurate as your logic.

>>I reckon they should take em out with Barretts from 1500 metres.

If you consider "em" a spelling error, your life must be very
fulfilling.

Jarkko Altonen
June 29th 03, 11:08 AM
John L > wrote:

>Your spelling is about as accurate as your logic.

>>I reckon they should take em out with Barretts from 1500 metres.

If you consider "em" a spelling error, your life must be very
fulfilling.

Charlie
June 29th 03, 11:30 AM
Jarkko Altonen wrote:

> If you consider "em" a spelling error, your life must be very
> fulfilling.

perhaps he was just complementing your logic...

Charlie

Charlie
June 29th 03, 11:30 AM
Jarkko Altonen wrote:

> If you consider "em" a spelling error, your life must be very
> fulfilling.

perhaps he was just complementing your logic...

Charlie

Jason James
June 29th 03, 10:03 PM
> Let's hope the same tactics find their way across the pacific...

> Buffalo Cops Wage War on Pedal Pushers
> Iatrogenic Law Enforcement on the Niagara Frontier
> By BRUCE JACKSON
>

> More than two dozen Buffalo police officers attacked a peaceful group
> of bicyclists on 6:30 p.m. on Friday evening, May 30. They kicked some
> and beat several with clubs and Mag-Lites. They arrested nine of them
> on the kind of trumped-up felony charges cops always levy when they've
> started a mess they shouldn't have or beaten up folks they had no
> right to have been bothering in the first place.
>
> It's unlikely that the Buffalo police department will discipline the
> cops who rioted or that they'll initiate a training program to help
> the more excitable members of the patrol force differentiate between
> perps committing felonies and ordinary folk riding bicycles. The best
> thing that could happen at this point would be for Erie County
> district attorney Frank Clark to find a tactful way to toss all these
> bogus charges into his prosecutorial garbage can as soon as he
> possibly can.

To borrow a quote from their fellow officers: "To protect and
Serve",.......'Protect' from their civil rights and to 'Serve' with some
whacks from a metal torch.

Jason

Jason James
June 29th 03, 10:03 PM
"Jarkko Altonen" > wrote in message
> Let's hope the same tactics find their way across the pacific...

> Buffalo Cops Wage War on Pedal Pushers
> Iatrogenic Law Enforcement on the Niagara Frontier
> By BRUCE JACKSON
>

> More than two dozen Buffalo police officers attacked a peaceful group
> of bicyclists on 6:30 p.m. on Friday evening, May 30. They kicked some
> and beat several with clubs and Mag-Lites. They arrested nine of them
> on the kind of trumped-up felony charges cops always levy when they've
> started a mess they shouldn't have or beaten up folks they had no
> right to have been bothering in the first place.
>
> It's unlikely that the Buffalo police department will discipline the
> cops who rioted or that they'll initiate a training program to help
> the more excitable members of the patrol force differentiate between
> perps committing felonies and ordinary folk riding bicycles. The best
> thing that could happen at this point would be for Erie County
> district attorney Frank Clark to find a tactful way to toss all these
> bogus charges into his prosecutorial garbage can as soon as he
> possibly can.

To borrow a quote from their fellow officers: "To protect and
Serve",.......'Protect' from their civil rights and to 'Serve' with some
whacks from a metal torch.

Jason

Damien
June 29th 03, 10:57 PM
"Adam Gibson" > wrote in message

> Good news is, I'm an aus.cars regular and I hate Jarkko too.

I know Jarkko from way back. He was a toss pot back then too. The exact type
of person who talks big on a keyboard, but cowers in fear in face to face
meetings - even with girls. And that's the truth because I've seen it.

Damien
June 29th 03, 10:57 PM
"Adam Gibson" > wrote in message

> Good news is, I'm an aus.cars regular and I hate Jarkko too.

I know Jarkko from way back. He was a toss pot back then too. The exact type
of person who talks big on a keyboard, but cowers in fear in face to face
meetings - even with girls. And that's the truth because I've seen it.

mitchell mandell
June 30th 03, 02:22 PM
hahahah, now now fellas. its just an internet chat room.

just ignore the douche.

mitchell mandell
June 30th 03, 02:22 PM
hahahah, now now fellas. its just an internet chat room.

just ignore the douche.

Mot Adv
July 1st 03, 04:37 AM
" Jason James" > wrote in message

> "Jarkko Altonen" > wrote in message
> > Let's hope the same tactics find their way across the pacific...

> > Buffalo Cops Wage War on Pedal Pushers
> > Iatrogenic Law Enforcement on the Niagara Frontier
> > By BRUCE JACKSON
> >

> > More than two dozen Buffalo police officers attacked a peaceful group
> > of bicyclists on 6:30 p.m. on Friday evening, May 30. They kicked some
> > and beat several with clubs and Mag-Lites. They arrested nine of them
> > on the kind of trumped-up felony charges cops always levy when they've
> > started a mess they shouldn't have or beaten up folks they had no
> > right to have been bothering in the first place.

This is terrible, it's no way to treat a Mag-Lite (tm).

Mot Adv
July 1st 03, 04:37 AM
" Jason James" > wrote in message

> "Jarkko Altonen" > wrote in message
> > Let's hope the same tactics find their way across the pacific...

> > Buffalo Cops Wage War on Pedal Pushers
> > Iatrogenic Law Enforcement on the Niagara Frontier
> > By BRUCE JACKSON
> >

> > More than two dozen Buffalo police officers attacked a peaceful group
> > of bicyclists on 6:30 p.m. on Friday evening, May 30. They kicked some
> > and beat several with clubs and Mag-Lites. They arrested nine of them
> > on the kind of trumped-up felony charges cops always levy when they've
> > started a mess they shouldn't have or beaten up folks they had no
> > right to have been bothering in the first place.

This is terrible, it's no way to treat a Mag-Lite (tm).

Scribble
July 1st 03, 07:11 AM
"David Sutton" > wrote in message
> Jerkko, you're a well-known ****wit on aus.bicycles. No-one here takes you
> seriously.

but by virtue of your recent posts, you are now a well-known ****wit on
aus.cars!
No-one here takes you seriously.

--
Cheers
Steve

I can walk on water,
but I stagger on alcohol.

Scribble
July 1st 03, 07:11 AM
"David Sutton" > wrote in message
> Jerkko, you're a well-known ****wit on aus.bicycles. No-one here takes you
> seriously.

but by virtue of your recent posts, you are now a well-known ****wit on
aus.cars!
No-one here takes you seriously.

--
Cheers
Steve

I can walk on water,
but I stagger on alcohol.

Scott Hillard
July 1st 03, 09:29 AM
> "Scott Hillard" > wrote:
>
> >Frankly, this disgusts me.
> >
> >Police should not have to resort to using tools of illumination to
assault
> >cyclists.
> >
> >I call for the immediate issuing of swords to all police officers.
>
> I reckon they should take em out with Barretts from 1500 metres.

Worked for the Canadians in Afghanistan.

Scott Hillard
July 1st 03, 09:29 AM
"Jarkko Altonen" > wrote in message
> "Scott Hillard" > wrote:
>
> >Frankly, this disgusts me.
> >
> >Police should not have to resort to using tools of illumination to
assault
> >cyclists.
> >
> >I call for the immediate issuing of swords to all police officers.
>
> I reckon they should take em out with Barretts from 1500 metres.

Worked for the Canadians in Afghanistan.

Scott Hillard
July 1st 03, 09:31 AM
"Gregory Shearman" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 18:44:19 +1000, Scott Hillard wrote:

>> >I call for the immediate issuing of swords to all police officers.

> Wouldn't mallets and dividers be more appropriate?

Heavy-set mauls would do the trick.

Scott Hillard
July 1st 03, 09:31 AM
"Gregory Shearman" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 18:44:19 +1000, Scott Hillard wrote:

>> >I call for the immediate issuing of swords to all police officers.

> Wouldn't mallets and dividers be more appropriate?

Heavy-set mauls would do the trick.

Rainbow Warrior
July 2nd 03, 11:49 AM
David Sutton > wrote in message
> > "David Sutton" > wrote in message
> >> Jerkko, you're a well-known ****wit on aus.bicycles. No-one here takes
you
> >> seriously.
> >
> > but by virtue of your recent posts, you are now a well-known ****wit on
> > aus.cars!
> > No-one here takes you seriously.
>
> You're assuming that I even care what the petrol-sniffers on aus.bogans
> think.

Well f*ck you too, use yer pushbike to get yer own topsoil delivered.

Pat
Brisbane, Australia
http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~mangey/

Rainbow Warrior
July 2nd 03, 11:49 AM
David Sutton > wrote in message
> > "David Sutton" > wrote in message
> >> Jerkko, you're a well-known ****wit on aus.bicycles. No-one here takes
you
> >> seriously.
> >
> > but by virtue of your recent posts, you are now a well-known ****wit on
> > aus.cars!
> > No-one here takes you seriously.
>
> You're assuming that I even care what the petrol-sniffers on aus.bogans
> think.

Well f*ck you too, use yer pushbike to get yer own topsoil delivered.

Pat
Brisbane, Australia
http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~mangey/

Rainbow Warrior
July 3rd 03, 01:07 PM
ghostwombat > wrote in message
> Yawn... trying to dredge up a defunct day-old thread with a lame attempt
at
> trolling. You're on fire tonight, Pat.

Seriously, some of you nut's go on like we should all ride bikes,
assuming everybody on the road should be riding or on public transport, fine
when some only want to carry a walkman between home and work and next door
to a railway station, but many have tools/materials/paperwork to cart
around, jobs that don't start & finish in the same place, homes or jobs with
no public transport for 10km or so, stuffed knees, kids to drop off/pick up
on the way etc.

Yeah, a tunnel full of bikes blocking traffic just inspires people so
well against a cause.

> BTW, love your website. Fantastic beer guts... no wonder you all have to
> drive cars.

And I do have a pushbike and do ride it a few km to the markets every
few weeks with the missus and 10yo. I only just sold the Malvern Star I've
had since I was 16, and has followed me up and down the east coast clocking
up more miles on it than any "3 year alloy throw-away" you'll ever own,
without the superhero spandex too.
And having just got a job 7km down the road intend on using my new bike
as long as my noisy knee joints will let me.

> Is that your missus on the Landog page? Wot a stunner! Your car
> can sure pull the hotties!

My sister & a friend actually. Cultured f*ckwit aren't you, probably say the
same if they were your's I suppose.

Pat
Brisbane, Australia
http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~mangey/

P.S. Mid Posting Rules.

> > From: "Rainbow Warrior" >
> > Newsgroups: aus.bicycle,aus.politics
> > Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 20:49:54 +1000
> > Subject: Re: Cops attack critical mass cyclists with Maglites!

> > you

> >> You're assuming that I even care what the petrol-sniffers on aus.bogans
> >> think.
> >
> > Well f*ck you too, use yer pushbike to get yer own topsoil delivered.
> >
> > Pat
> > Brisbane, Australia
> > http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~mangey/

Rainbow Warrior
July 3rd 03, 01:07 PM
ghostwombat > wrote in message
> Yawn... trying to dredge up a defunct day-old thread with a lame attempt
at
> trolling. You're on fire tonight, Pat.

Seriously, some of you nut's go on like we should all ride bikes,
assuming everybody on the road should be riding or on public transport, fine
when some only want to carry a walkman between home and work and next door
to a railway station, but many have tools/materials/paperwork to cart
around, jobs that don't start & finish in the same place, homes or jobs with
no public transport for 10km or so, stuffed knees, kids to drop off/pick up
on the way etc.

Yeah, a tunnel full of bikes blocking traffic just inspires people so
well against a cause.

> BTW, love your website. Fantastic beer guts... no wonder you all have to
> drive cars.

And I do have a pushbike and do ride it a few km to the markets every
few weeks with the missus and 10yo. I only just sold the Malvern Star I've
had since I was 16, and has followed me up and down the east coast clocking
up more miles on it than any "3 year alloy throw-away" you'll ever own,
without the superhero spandex too.
And having just got a job 7km down the road intend on using my new bike
as long as my noisy knee joints will let me.

> Is that your missus on the Landog page? Wot a stunner! Your car
> can sure pull the hotties!

My sister & a friend actually. Cultured f*ckwit aren't you, probably say the
same if they were your's I suppose.

Pat
Brisbane, Australia
http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~mangey/

P.S. Mid Posting Rules.

> > From: "Rainbow Warrior" >
> > Newsgroups: aus.bicycle,aus.politics
> > Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 20:49:54 +1000
> > Subject: Re: Cops attack critical mass cyclists with Maglites!

> > you

> >> You're assuming that I even care what the petrol-sniffers on aus.bogans
> >> think.
> >
> > Well f*ck you too, use yer pushbike to get yer own topsoil delivered.
> >
> > Pat
> > Brisbane, Australia
> > http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~mangey/

Andrew Swan
July 4th 03, 10:23 AM
> And having just got a job 7km down the road intend on using my new bike
> as long as my noisy knee joints will let me.

Good on you. From my own experience and what I've read, you can
drastically reduce the likelihood of knee problems if you:

(1) set your saddle at the right height (a good rule of thumb is that
with the pedal at the bottom of the stroke and your heel on the pedal
[i.e. not the normal riding position], your leg should just be fully
extended), unlike the "BMX bandits" you see with their knees around
their ears. Most riders in the general public (RITGP) have their saddles
too low; only a few have them too high (you can tell because when viewed
from behind, their pelvises rock from side to side - get a friend to
check you out).

(2) use a low gear and pedal faster, rather than pedalling slowly in a
higher gear as many RITGP do. It results in the same bike speed and
therefore the same amount of energy expended, the difference is that
there's less load on your joints (esp. knees), which is better for them
even though they are bending and straightening more often. Racers
typically pedal at 90rpm upwards, but anything from 70rpm upwards is a
good start (you don't need a special speedo with the cadence feature,
just count the rotations of one leg for a minute). The other benefit is
that the faster you train your legs to spin, the more endurance you will
develop and you will soon find yourself able to go faster (i.e. same leg
speed but in the next gear up) for the same perceived level of effort.
In other words, you get fitter faster.

HTH,

&roo

Andrew Swan
July 4th 03, 10:23 AM
> And having just got a job 7km down the road intend on using my new bike
> as long as my noisy knee joints will let me.

Good on you. From my own experience and what I've read, you can
drastically reduce the likelihood of knee problems if you:

(1) set your saddle at the right height (a good rule of thumb is that
with the pedal at the bottom of the stroke and your heel on the pedal
[i.e. not the normal riding position], your leg should just be fully
extended), unlike the "BMX bandits" you see with their knees around
their ears. Most riders in the general public (RITGP) have their saddles
too low; only a few have them too high (you can tell because when viewed
from behind, their pelvises rock from side to side - get a friend to
check you out).

(2) use a low gear and pedal faster, rather than pedalling slowly in a
higher gear as many RITGP do. It results in the same bike speed and
therefore the same amount of energy expended, the difference is that
there's less load on your joints (esp. knees), which is better for them
even though they are bending and straightening more often. Racers
typically pedal at 90rpm upwards, but anything from 70rpm upwards is a
good start (you don't need a special speedo with the cadence feature,
just count the rotations of one leg for a minute). The other benefit is
that the faster you train your legs to spin, the more endurance you will
develop and you will soon find yourself able to go faster (i.e. same leg
speed but in the next gear up) for the same perceived level of effort.
In other words, you get fitter faster.

HTH,

&roo

Rainbow Warrior
July 5th 03, 12:34 PM
Andrew Swan > wrote in message
> > And having just got a job 7km down the road intend on using my new
bike
> > as long as my noisy knee joints will let me.
>
> Good on you. From my own experience and what I've read, you can
> drastically reduce the likelihood of knee problems if you:

Thanx, reset the seat straight after buying it, I find the mountain bike a
heap better on the back as well, will try the pedal faster theory, though I
gave up "lugging" up hills a long time ago, the extra low gears make things
easier.

Pat
Brisbane, Australia
http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~mangey/

Rainbow Warrior
July 5th 03, 12:34 PM
Andrew Swan > wrote in message
> > And having just got a job 7km down the road intend on using my new
bike
> > as long as my noisy knee joints will let me.
>
> Good on you. From my own experience and what I've read, you can
> drastically reduce the likelihood of knee problems if you:

Thanx, reset the seat straight after buying it, I find the mountain bike a
heap better on the back as well, will try the pedal faster theory, though I
gave up "lugging" up hills a long time ago, the extra low gears make things
easier.

Pat
Brisbane, Australia
http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~mangey/

Mick D
July 13th 03, 08:21 AM
> Good on you. From my own experience and what I've read, you can
> drastically reduce the likelihood of knee problems if you:
>
> (1) set your saddle at the right height (a good rule of thumb is that
> with the pedal at the bottom of the stroke and your heel on the pedal
> [i.e. not the normal riding position], your leg should just be fully
> extended), unlike the "BMX bandits" you see with their knees around
> their ears. Most riders in the general public (RITGP) have their saddles
> too low; only a few have them too high (you can tell because when viewed
> from behind, their pelvises rock from side to side - get a friend to
> check you out).
>
> (2) use a low gear and pedal faster, rather than pedalling slowly in a
> higher gear as many RITGP do. It results in the same bike speed and
> therefore the same amount of energy expended, the difference is that
> there's less load on your joints (esp. knees), which is better for them
> even though they are bending and straightening more often. Racers
> typically pedal at 90rpm upwards, but anything from 70rpm upwards is a
> good start (you don't need a special speedo with the cadence feature,
> just count the rotations of one leg for a minute). The other benefit is
> that the faster you train your legs to spin, the more endurance you will
> develop and you will soon find yourself able to go faster (i.e. same leg
> speed but in the next gear up) for the same perceived level of effort.
> In other words, you get fitter faster.
>
> HTH,
One more option that woeked well for a woman that had knee trouble and
writes cycling touring books for Lonely Planet was clip in pedals and shoes,
not cheap but if the above still doesn't cut it it might be worth looking
into. Yet to go there myself but from all accounts are very good.

Mick D
July 13th 03, 08:21 AM
> Good on you. From my own experience and what I've read, you can
> drastically reduce the likelihood of knee problems if you:
>
> (1) set your saddle at the right height (a good rule of thumb is that
> with the pedal at the bottom of the stroke and your heel on the pedal
> [i.e. not the normal riding position], your leg should just be fully
> extended), unlike the "BMX bandits" you see with their knees around
> their ears. Most riders in the general public (RITGP) have their saddles
> too low; only a few have them too high (you can tell because when viewed
> from behind, their pelvises rock from side to side - get a friend to
> check you out).
>
> (2) use a low gear and pedal faster, rather than pedalling slowly in a
> higher gear as many RITGP do. It results in the same bike speed and
> therefore the same amount of energy expended, the difference is that
> there's less load on your joints (esp. knees), which is better for them
> even though they are bending and straightening more often. Racers
> typically pedal at 90rpm upwards, but anything from 70rpm upwards is a
> good start (you don't need a special speedo with the cadence feature,
> just count the rotations of one leg for a minute). The other benefit is
> that the faster you train your legs to spin, the more endurance you will
> develop and you will soon find yourself able to go faster (i.e. same leg
> speed but in the next gear up) for the same perceived level of effort.
> In other words, you get fitter faster.
>
> HTH,
One more option that woeked well for a woman that had knee trouble and
writes cycling touring books for Lonely Planet was clip in pedals and shoes,
not cheap but if the above still doesn't cut it it might be worth looking
into. Yet to go there myself but from all accounts are very good.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home