PDA

View Full Version : Stationary Bike

10Sguy
August 2nd 03, 09:01 PM
Can anyone recommend a good stationary bike that I can use to keep in shape
during the off season?

BudMan
August 2nd 03, 10:04 PM
Buy an inexpensive set of rollers and ride them instead of a stationary bike
or trainer. My rollers by Tacx cost $100 at the LBS. Rode the heck out of
them this winter with no problems. Since you have to pay attention to your
spin and balance the time passes quickly. You won't the hammer drills in on
rollers as you would a good resistance trainer , but you will gain
technique. The rollers are not that hard to learn either. I was
comfortable enough with them after about 30 minutes of using a doorway to
grab on to. Now all I need is a high back chair to assist me when mounting
and dismounting.
"10Sguy" > wrote in message
> Can anyone recommend a good stationary bike that I can use to keep in
shape
> during the off season?

Tom Keats
August 3rd 03, 07:24 AM
In article >,
"10Sguy" > writes:
> Can anyone recommend a good stationary bike that I can use to keep in shape
> during the off season?

Sooner or later, somebody's gonna bug ya about how there is no
"off season", refer you to the icebike web site, wax pedantic
about tires 'n stuff, and generally try to make you feel like
a dweeb for even considering not riding because of the weather.

But it's not gonna be me.

As BudMan suggested, get the rollers. That's what I, and many
others have done.

I got mine by asking at an LBS; the guy told me to hang on and
wait awhile, 'cuz he knew someone who was intending to sell his.
Eventually I got 'em, cheap. I used them until I couldn't stand
it anymore, and /had/ to take it out on the street, and f*** the
weather.

"Riding" and "indoors" are incongruous. Yes, there are times when
the elements are too unkind. But there are also (hopefully) times
when the elements are less unkind.

So, get yourself some cheap rollers. The rest, you'll take from
there, because as Sinead O'Connor sang, "nothing compares" (to
/real/ riding on /real/ streets).

There are a lot of cheap 2nd/3rd/4th-hand rollers out there,
handed down from ppl who've been through it all before.

cheers,
Tom