PDA

View Full Version : WTB: 7 speed MTB rear derailleur

Matt
September 8th 03, 11:51 PM
I just need something for my old commuter bike. I'd like LX or better in
decent condition. Anyone got an old one kicking around for cheap, or know
anyplace that still sells new old stock?

-Matt
Email me back at 'mschwall' at symbol 'stanford' dot 'edu'

Bthandel
September 9th 03, 07:55 AM
got an lx here with some roqad rash but still straight and tight..
10.00 plus shipping...

Qui si parla Campagnolo
September 9th 03, 01:45 PM
Matt-<< I just need something for my old commuter bike. I'd like LX or better
in
decent condition. Anyone got an old one kicking around for cheap, or know
anyplace that still sells new old stock? >><BR><BR>

Just for info, you can use a modern rear der, like a Deore one with the 7s
shifting/cogs w/o modification. Don't need a specifically '7s' one.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Nathan Pitts
September 9th 03, 08:28 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> Matt-<< I just need something for my old commuter bike. I'd like LX or better
> in
> decent condition. Anyone got an old one kicking around for cheap, or know
> anyplace that still sells new old stock? >><BR><BR>
>
> Just for info, you can use a modern rear der, like a Deore one with the 7s
> shifting/cogs w/o modification. Don't need a specifically '7s' one.
>
> Peter Chisholm
> Vecchio's Bicicletteria
> 1833 Pearl St.
> Boulder, CO, 80302
> (303)440-3535
> http://www.vecchios.com
> "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

How does that work? I have a 7speed that I would like to bring up to
9speed, but not all at once, so am curious as to what you mean....Isn't
the gear spacing different on a "modern rear der" (9speed) versus the 7
speed?

-nathan

Alex Rodriguez
September 9th 03, 11:50 PM
In article >, says...

>How does that work? I have a 7speed that I would like to bring up to
>9speed, but not all at once, so am curious as to what you mean....Isn't
>the gear spacing different on a "modern rear der" (9speed) versus the 7
>speed?

The indexing function is not built into the derailleur, it is controlled by the
shifters. As long as the derailleur geoemtry is the same and it has enough
sweep, you can use it with all the latest shifters from shimano.
-----------------
Alex __O
_-\<,_
(_)/ (_)

Nathan Pitts
September 10th 03, 12:10 AM
Alex Rodriguez wrote:
> In article >, says...
>

>>How does that work? I have a 7speed that I would like to bring up to
>>9speed, but not all at once, so am curious as to what you mean....Isn't
>>the gear spacing different on a "modern rear der" (9speed) versus the 7
>>speed?
>

> The indexing function is not built into the derailleur, it is controlled by the
> shifters. As long as the derailleur geoemtry is the same and it has enough
> sweep, you can use it with all the latest shifters from shimano.
> -----------------
> Alex __O
> _-\<,_
> (_)/ (_)

Hmmm...that makes sense -- thanks to Alex and Peter!
-nathan

Qui si parla Campagnolo
September 10th 03, 01:45 PM
Nathan-<< How does that work? I have a 7speed that I would like to bring up to

9speed, but not all at once, so am curious as to what you mean....Isn't
the gear spacing different on a "modern rear der" (9speed) versus the 7
speed? >><BR><BR>

The dimension of the shimano rear ders haven't changed and the amount the rear
der moves depends on the shifter, not the rear der. So you can use a modern(9s)
rear der with 7s shimano shifters w/o problem.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302