PDA

View Full Version : vintage brooks saddle

Manimal
August 4th 03, 08:51 AM
hey guys,

I have a vintage B17 narrow Champion brooks saddle I salvaged off a relic of
a bike a few years ago. Its quite old and in ok shape. I have no idea if
these are worth anything. Maybe someone else does.

Sorry, no pics to show.

Jkpoulos7
August 5th 03, 02:03 AM
>I have no idea if
>these are worth anything

It's worth riding. Try a brooks and you'll never go back to one of those
plastic "numnutters". Apply some leather treatment and ride it. If you dont
want it I'll give you $5.

NY Rides
August 5th 03, 02:08 AM
I thought I had gold when I discovered a brand new B17 in a truckload of
stuff I got from an abandoned bike store. Unfortunately, I think the
highest offer I got on rec.bicycles.marketplace was $30.

Sorry.
--
Low-Impact Rides In The LI/NY Area
www.geocities.com/NYRides
"Manimal" > wrote in message
> hey guys,
>
> I have a vintage B17 narrow Champion brooks saddle I salvaged off a relic
of
> a bike a few years ago. Its quite old and in ok shape. I have no idea if
> these are worth anything. Maybe someone else does.
>
> Sorry, no pics to show.

Zippy the Pinhead
August 5th 03, 03:15 AM
On 05 Aug 2003 01:03:30 GMT, (Jkpoulos7) wrote:

>It's worth riding. Try a brooks and you'll never go back to one of those
>plastic "numnutters". Apply some leather treatment and ride it.

Make sure you use "Proofide" (sp? maybe Proofhide?) on it.

There's some other stuff out there that lets the leather stretch all
out of shape and you'll be riding the rails if you do that. Proofide
isn't cheap, but it is what you need.

mark
August 5th 03, 03:18 AM
"Manimal" wrote ...
> hey guys,
>
> I have a vintage B17 narrow Champion brooks saddle I salvaged off a relic
of
> a bike a few years ago. Its quite old and in ok shape. I have no idea if
> these are worth anything. Maybe someone else does.
>
> Sorry, no pics to show.

Brooks is still making a wide range of old school high quality leather
saddles, which limits the value of the old ones. Clean it up, put it on your
bike, and ride it.
--
mark

Dick Durbin
August 5th 03, 12:44 PM
(Jkpoulos7) wrote in message >...
> >I have no idea if
> >these are worth anything
>
> It's worth riding. Try a brooks and you'll never go back to one of those
> plastic "numnutters".

SOME folks find leather saddles comfortable. I'm not one of them.

>Apply some leather treatment and ride it.

I don't have to do anything to my saddle except ride it.

Dick Durbin

Stephen Harding
August 5th 03, 01:26 PM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:

> Jkpoulos7 wrote in message >...
> >
> >It's worth riding. Try a brooks and you'll never go back to one of those
> >plastic "numnutters". Apply some leather treatment and ride it. If you dont
> >want it I'll give you $5.
>
> And you're the guy that rides a steel frame.
>
> Come on, get with the times. Brooks is dead.
>
> I like the looks of a 135 gram Sella Italia SLR
> on my oversized AL frame.
>
> Guys like me junked the cowhide two decades ago!
>
> See just how far out of it you are?

But think of it more in art and aesthetics terms.

If the bike is of the proper color or color combination, addition of
a Brooks in "honey" can be a real aesthetic addition to the bike.

I've found the appearance of my dark forest green Trek 520 is much
enhanced with the addition of the honey brown Brooks. It's a real
style statement that a person with such sensitivities as yourself
can much appreciate, and make even better by the knowledge that many
others are incapable of perceiving the improvement!

And of course, the heavier saddle can be useful for training purposes.
Get back on your lightweight aluminum and plastic mount and you fly!

[The above stated in a very deep, manly voice of course!]

SMH

Fabrizio Mazzoleni
August 5th 03, 04:10 PM
Kevan Smith wrote in message ...

>. Anything goes in November and December.
> You even see some pros on those juvenile delinquent mountain bikes.

Not class guys like Me and Michele Bartoli !

Fabrizio Mazzoleni
August 5th 03, 04:26 PM
Stephen Harding wrote in message >...

>And of course, the heavier saddle can be useful for training purposes.
>Get back on your lightweight aluminum and plastic mount and you fly!

Stephen, at my level of cycling a winter junker is
something like a C-40 or Fondreist P4 that has
seen a season of racing, and as far as saddles
go the Selle Italia Flite is now considered the retro
classic - don't go lower than level, people notice!

It's safe to write someone off if they own a Brooks.
You don't want to be seen with that type.

Ryan Cousineau
August 5th 03, 06:09 PM
In article >,
Bob M > wrote:

> On 5 Aug 2003 04:44:02 -0700, Dick Durbin > wrote:

> > SOME folks find leather saddles comfortable. I'm not one of them.
> >
> >> Apply some leather treatment and ride it.
> >
> > I don't have to do anything to my saddle except ride it.
> >
> > Dick Durbin
> >

> On benefit to leather saddles is that they mold to your body. Non-leather
> saddles basically cause your body to mold to them. However, I've ridden
> most of my miles on a non-leather saddle. Now that I have a Brooks,
> though, I don't plan on going back to non-leather. My mountain bike is
> still non-leather, though.

I haven't tried a leather saddle, but I assure you my butt has not
molded to the shape of my plastic saddle.

The trick is to ensure that the primary point of contact between butt
and saddle is your sit bones. Get that right, and bliss ensues.
Everything else is details.

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

Stephen Harding
August 5th 03, 06:30 PM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:

> It's safe to write someone off if they own a Brooks.
> You don't want to be seen with that type.

Oh dear!

I was hoping the power of aesthetics might save me in the eyes
of "real [tm]" bicyclists but hearing this from you leaves me
thinking I'm just destined to pedal my life through as member
of the bicycling fashion and style damned.

Rather sad I suppose.

SMH

Dan Barch
August 5th 03, 06:52 PM
"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" > wrote in message >...

> Guys like me junked the cowhide two decades ago!

I thought two decades ago guys like you were zygotes.

Bob M
August 5th 03, 07:25 PM
On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 10:09:56 -0700, Ryan Cousineau > wrote:

> In article >,
> Bob M > wrote:
>
>> On 5 Aug 2003 04:44:02 -0700, Dick Durbin > wrote:
>
>> > SOME folks find leather saddles comfortable. I'm not one of them.

>> > I don't have to do anything to my saddle except ride it.
>> >
>> > Dick Durbin
>> >

>> On benefit to leather saddles is that they mold to your body. Non-
>> leather saddles basically cause your body to mold to them. However,
>> I've ridden most of my miles on a non-leather saddle. Now that I have a
>> Brooks, though, I don't plan on going back to non-leather. My mountain
>> bike is still non-leather, though.
>
> I haven't tried a leather saddle, but I assure you my butt has not molded
> to the shape of my plastic saddle.
>
> The trick is to ensure that the primary point of contact between butt and
> saddle is your sit bones. Get that right, and bliss ensues. Everything
> else is details.

I don't know -- I've done that and I find some saddles, particularly gel
saddles, to be quite fatiguing. I gave up on a wide gel saddle because of
that. My point was that I have non-leather saddles that still look exactly
like they did when I bought them. My Brooks looks like my butt. It's
indented where my sit bones are and it forms to me. On my non-leather
saddles, my butt forms to the seat.

--
Bob M in CT
Remove 'x.' to reply

Mike Kruger
August 6th 03, 03:33 AM
"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" > wrote in message news:ZgHXa.651615

> Come on, get with the times. Brooks is dead.

At least in some bike shops, you are right.
I needed some Proofide for my Brooks saddle, and stopped in a bike shop I
was unfamiliar with.

me: "Do you have any Proofide?"
them: "What's that for?"
me: "It's a treatment for leather saddles."
them: "Nobody rides leather saddles anymore."
me: "I've got a leather saddle."
them: "Well, uh, uh, uh, well, we don't have any. You could just use shoe
polish."

(I believe the "shoe polish" remark was said out of ignorance and momentary
confusion, not malice.)

Tom Sherman
August 6th 03, 04:53 AM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:

> And you're the guy that rides a steel frame.
>
> Come on, get with the times. Brooks is dead.
>
> I like the looks of a 135 gram Sella Italia SLR
> on my oversized AL frame.
>
> Guys like me junked the cowhide two decades ago!
>
> See just how far out of it you are?

I prefer a full sling mesh seat with an industrial hemp seat pad. The
best thing about this type of seat is Fabrizio secretly wants to sit on
it, but is too cowed by peer pressure to ever do so. ;)

Ryan Cousineau
August 6th 03, 07:14 AM
In article >,
Bob M > wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 10:09:56 -0700, Ryan Cousineau > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Bob M > wrote:
> >
> >> On 5 Aug 2003 04:44:02 -0700, Dick Durbin > wrote:

> > I haven't tried a leather saddle, but I assure you my butt has not molded
> > to the shape of my plastic saddle.

> > The trick is to ensure that the primary point of contact between butt and
> > saddle is your sit bones. Get that right, and bliss ensues. Everything
> > else is details.
> >

> I don't know -- I've done that and I find some saddles, particularly gel
> saddles, to be quite fatiguing. I gave up on a wide gel saddle because of
> that. My point was that I have non-leather saddles that still look exactly
> like they did when I bought them. My Brooks looks like my butt. It's
> indented where my sit bones are and it forms to me. On my non-leather
> saddles, my butt forms to the seat.

Well, de gustibus non disputandum etc., and that goes double for
saddles. What works, works.

The saddles I gave up on were both plastic shelled, though one had a
suede cover. Both were wide and seemed slightly concave. Maybe they were
both women's saddles; I don't know. The narrow saddle I use now just
fits my sit bones properly.

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

jacques
August 6th 03, 10:13 PM

> SOME folks find leather saddles comfortable. I'm not one of them.

I am one of those folks since I put a B17 on my commuter hybrid.
I still have a Selle Italia tri-something on my Bianchi road bike, and I'm
not fully comfortable on it, especially after 3 hours riding.

Is anyone here using a Brooks on a road bike ? and which model ?

Jacques

Sorni
August 6th 03, 10:14 PM
"jacques" > wrote in message

> Fabrizio,
>
> Cycling is not *only* about fashion.

Who let this guy in the door?

Exclusive Bill

Jkpoulos7
August 6th 03, 10:17 PM
>Is anyone here using a Brooks on a road bike ? and which model ?

I have a B17 standard on my Lemond. Love it. I will probably buy one for my MTB
and beater road bike they are that comfortable.

Benjamin Lewis
August 6th 03, 10:43 PM
wrote:

> I am one of those folks since I put a B17 on my commuter hybrid. I still
> have a Selle Italia tri-something on my Bianchi road bike, and I'm not
> fully comfortable on it, especially after 3 hours riding.
>
> Is anyone here using a Brooks on a road bike ? and which model ?

I think a lot of people here do. I have a B17 on my road bike, which I've
found to still be comfortable after 24 hours on the saddle.

--
Benjamin Lewis

A small, but vocal, contingent even argues that tin is superior, but they
are held by most to be the lunatic fringe of Foil Deflector Beanie science.

Jkpoulos7
August 7th 03, 12:16 AM
> Could you get
>behind it?

Difficult but the comfort is worth it

Stephen Harding
August 7th 03, 01:11 PM
jacques wrote:

> > SOME folks find leather saddles comfortable. I'm not one of them.
> >

> I am one of those folks since I put a B17 on my commuter hybrid.
> I still have a Selle Italia tri-something on my Bianchi road bike, and I'm
> not fully comfortable on it, especially after 3 hours riding.
>
> Is anyone here using a Brooks on a road bike ? and which model ?

I've got a B17 standard and a B17 Champion.

I'm thinking of buying one of those Brooks (B17 again???) with the
large springs for my MTB in place of a shock seat post.

This would be for very non-technical MTB riding. I've got a flex
stem up front and am thinking a springed Brooks might be just right
for "the rear" (pun intended).

Anyone have experience with the springed model Brooks?

SMH

Ryan Cousineau
August 7th 03, 05:27 PM
In article >,
Benjamin Lewis > wrote:

> wrote:
>
> > I am one of those folks since I put a B17 on my commuter hybrid. I still
> > have a Selle Italia tri-something on my Bianchi road bike, and I'm not
> > fully comfortable on it, especially after 3 hours riding.
> >
> > Is anyone here using a Brooks on a road bike ? and which model ?
>
> I think a lot of people here do. I have a B17 on my road bike, which I've
> found to still be comfortable after 24 hours on the saddle.

Hah! My bike computer says I've put way more than 24 hours on my bike
this year! And on a plastic saddle!

Iron Butt! IRON BUTT!!!

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

Bob M
August 7th 03, 05:44 PM
On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 09:27:56 -0700, Ryan Cousineau > wrote:

> In article >,
> Benjamin Lewis > wrote:
>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > I am one of those folks since I put a B17 on my commuter hybrid. I
>> still
>> > have a Selle Italia tri-something on my Bianchi road bike, and I'm not
>> > fully comfortable on it, especially after 3 hours riding.
>>
>> I think a lot of people here do. I have a B17 on my road bike, which
>> I've
>> found to still be comfortable after 24 hours on the saddle.
>
> Hah! My bike computer says I've put way more than 24 hours on my bike
> this year! And on a plastic saddle!
>
> Iron Butt! IRON BUTT!!!

There's nothing wrong with plastic saddles -- I've ridden these for 15
years and still have one on my old racing bike and my mountain bike. It's
just that a Brooks forms to you instead of the other way around. Some
people don't like leather saddles. If they don't fit you, you're not going
to like them. However, when they do fit you, you wonder how you got along
before.

--
Bob M in CT
Remove 'x.' to reply

Zoot Katz
August 7th 03, 06:30 PM
Thu, 07 Aug 2003 08:11:37 -0400, >,
Stephen Harding > wrote:

>Anyone have experience with the springed model Brooks?

I've a "Champion Flyer" on my joe-bike. Break-in time was zero.
It's the same width as the B-17. I think the "Conquest" model would be
a better fit for me. But, I bought it when Brooks was in limbo so
never took it back for exchange. Otherwise, it's fantastic saddle.

The double rail saddles require using a "Seat Sandwich" to fit a
single bolt micro-adjust seatpost. The "B-66 Champion" is the same
width as your B-17.
--
zk

Benjamin Lewis
August 7th 03, 09:32 PM
Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> In article >,
> Benjamin Lewis > wrote:
>>
>> I think a lot of people here do. I have a B17 on my road bike, which
>> I've found to still be comfortable after 24 hours on the saddle.
>
> Hah! My bike computer says I've put way more than 24 hours on my bike
> this year! And on a plastic saddle!
>
> Iron Butt! IRON BUTT!!!

And a smart ass, to boot.

--
Benjamin Lewis

There's no sense in being precise when you don't even know what you're talking
about.
-- John von Neumann

Rick Onanian
August 8th 03, 01:35 AM
On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 13:32:24 -0700, Benjamin Lewis >
wrote:
>> Iron Butt! IRON BUTT!!!
>
> And a smart ass, to boot.

I'd have to wear steel toe boots, if I wanted
to boot an iron smart butt.

--
Rick Onanian

Actually34
August 8th 03, 09:17 PM
Just aim for the second star on the right and pedal on till morning.

David

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home