PDA

View Full Version : Re: Rock Shox Duke XC U-turn vs Pilot SL

JY
June 24th 03, 07:42 PM
"JD" > wrote in message
om...
> "JY" > wrote in message
> > I'm deciding between these two forks in about the same price range. The
> > Pilot is an air fork BTW. Any comments about which works better? I
haven't
> > seen any reviews on the web or anything. Thanks.
>
> Nothing by rocksux works well for very long.
>
> JD

Actually that's been partly my experience too with my old RockShox fork.
Yet I'm choosing them again. :) I thought maybe the Pilot might be a
simple design and so more reliable. Then when it explodes in 2 or 3 yrs I
can get the $700 Fox. :)

SuperSlinky
June 25th 03, 08:19 AM
JY said...

> I'm deciding between these two forks in about the same price range. The
> Pilot is an air fork BTW. Any comments about which works better? I haven't
> seen any reviews on the web or anything. Thanks.

I recently gained considerable experience in rebuilding the Duke XC and
I was quite unimpressed by the design of the internals. I would try one
of the cheaper Bombers instead. I think you can get an MX Comp for about
the same price as a Duke and the EXR is even cheaper. If you can scrape
together $350, try the Fox Vanilla 125R. I have a Vanilla 125RL and it
is a smooooothe operator right out of the box. It has no plastic parts
(that I can see), and bigger (read stiffer) stanchions than the
competition. I think it is a real bargain at $350.

MidBunchLurker
June 25th 03, 12:10 PM
Been using the Duke XC for the last 3 months: super-plush and definitely
recommend it.

--
nick.

Cape Epic Team Grovel
www.cape-epic.com

Grovel: "To work interminably and without apparent progress"
[color=blue]
http://www.cyclingforums.com

Shaun Rimmer
June 25th 03, 01:04 PM
MidBunchLurker > wrote in message
> Been using the Duke XC for the last 3 months: super-plush and definitely
> recommend it.

3 months is not any length of time to properly judge something like a
suspension fork by - the things should last for years with no more than
minor maintenance, but most RuckShucks stuff goes tits up in a lot less
time.

Shaun aRe - FFS, buy a Marzocchi, heheheheheh........

SuperSlinky
June 25th 03, 08:55 PM
MidBunchLurker said...

> Been using the Duke XC for the last 3 months: super-plush and definitely
> recommend it.

I know there are lots of satisfied Duke customers, but having seen the
insides, I just doubt its long-term durability. Mine was busted from the
factory. I got a Duke SL as a replacement in a deal with the bike
factory, but in the meantime I ordered a Fox Vanilla 125RL. I am going
to put the Duke SL on my old full rigid and see how it does. Installing
the Fox in place of the Duke was a real eye-opener. I'm not sure why I
sense so much of an improvement. Maybe part of it is that I like the
geometry better with the longer travel of the Fox, but it is noticeably
stiffer as well and I think that is the main thing.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home