PDA

View Full Version : Cyclists die

Kevin
August 5th 03, 10:27 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2003/08/04/stat
e1326EDT0073.DTL

Don Wiss
August 6th 03, 02:00 AM
On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 14:27:16 -0700, Kevin > wrote:

>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2003/08/04/stat
>e1326EDT0073.DTL

I wish people would use decent newsreading software and not post chopped up
links. Here it is complete:

Driver arrested in death of two cross-country bikers
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2003/08/04/state1326EDT0073.DTL

Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

GRL
August 6th 03, 03:00 AM
How much would you care to wager that this slime-ball already had a DUI
driving record? The (only) good part is that apparently they are going to
play hard-ball with him.

--

- GRL

"It's good to want things."

Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist,
Visual Basic programmer)
"Don Wiss" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 14:27:16 -0700, Kevin > wrote:
>

>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2003/08/04/sta
> >e1326EDT0073.DTL
>
> I wish people would use decent newsreading software and not post chopped
up
> links. Here it is complete:
>
> Driver arrested in death of two cross-country bikers

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2003/08/04/state1326EDT0073.DTL

> Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

D.L.
August 6th 03, 06:37 PM
In article >, Don Wiss wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 14:27:16 -0700, Kevin > wrote:
>
>>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2003/08/04/stat
>>e1326EDT0073.DTL
>
> I wish people would use decent newsreading software and not post chopped up
> links. Here it is complete:
>
> Driver arrested in death of two cross-country bikers
> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2003/08/04/state1326EDT0073.DTL

Or, better yet, use www.tinyurl.com to shorten the URL for posting
so people's newsreaders such as slrn don't wrap around, making it
difficult to cut and paste into a browser:

http://tinyurl.com/j3wj

August 6th 03, 08:36 PM
D.L. > wrote:

> Or, better yet, use www.tinyurl.com to shorten the URL for posting
> so people's newsreaders such as slrn don't wrap around, making it
> difficult to cut and paste into a browser:

> http://tinyurl.com/j3wj

The only problem with that being that the tinyurl's expire, so any people
looking at archived posts with google won't be able to use them. Of course
you could post both. And some people might view the expiration as a benefit.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
When they took the Fourth Amendment, I was quiet because I didn't deal drugs.

Claire Petersky
August 7th 03, 07:10 PM
> wrote in message >...
> D.L. > wrote:
>
> > Or, better yet, use www.tinyurl.com to shorten the URL for posting
> > so people's newsreaders such as slrn don't wrap around, making it
> > difficult to cut and paste into a browser:
>
> > http://tinyurl.com/j3wj
>
> The only problem with that being that the tinyurl's expire, so any people
> looking at archived posts with google won't be able to use them. Of course
> you could post both. And some people might view the expiration as a benefit.

tinyurl claims that they won't expire -- you can decide how much you
believe them. If that is the case, as the service becomes more popular
and used more and more, their URLs will cease to be so tiny.

Another reason to post both the original URL and the "tiny" one is
that some people are afraid to open, or are blocked from opening,
tinyurls. You may claim the url is a nice little website about
bicycling in the rain, but evilly, you have made a tiny a url about
vegetable worship and ritual sacrifice
(http://www.ebeneezer.net/ritual/vegetable/).

I try to remember to post both.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Dane Jackson
August 7th 03, 10:48 PM
Claire Petersky > wrote:
> > wrote in message >...
>>
>> The only problem with that being that the tinyurl's expire, so any people
>> looking at archived posts with google won't be able to use them. Of course
>> you could post both. And some people might view the expiration as a benefit.

> tinyurl claims that they won't expire -- you can decide how much you
> believe them. If that is the case, as the service becomes more popular
> and used more and more, their URLs will cease to be so tiny.

Doh! I thought they did for some reason. Of course, then there is the
argument about whether the service will exist in five years (fire / flood
/ famine / bankruptcy / overthrow by sentient machines [1]). The
address space expands exponentially with each additional digit, so it
should be compact for quite a while.

> Another reason to post both the original URL and the "tiny" one is
> that some people are afraid to open, or are blocked from opening,
> tinyurls. You may claim the url is a nice little website about
> bicycling in the rain, but evilly, you have made a tiny a url about
> vegetable worship and ritual sacrifice
> (http://www.ebeneezer.net/ritual/vegetable/).

Sigh. No pictures of thousands of carrots in a seething, roaring mass
committing horrible acts of immorality in a demonic orgy? I feel like
I should cry "False Advertising!". ;)

> I try to remember to post both.

That's been my practice in the past.

[1] I for one welcome our new Robotic Masters.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
Despising machines to a man,

Google