PDA

View Full Version : Giant or Specialized...

James Davis
June 29th 03, 07:27 PM
Hey...

I know people probably ask this kinda question all the time but...

I am in the market for a beginners bike.. Looking to spend around £300.
So far after some investigation I have narrowed it down to a Specialized
Hardrock or a Giant Yukon... Any opinions??? I shall be testing both, but
would like a heads up from someone experienced with these things..

Thanks in advance

James

Stephen Baker
June 29th 03, 09:00 PM
No experience with Giant at all, but I _do_ like my HardRock.... ;-)

Steve

supadumdum
June 29th 03, 09:24 PM
James Davis wrote:
> Hey...
>
> I know people probably ask this kinda question all the time but...
>
> I am in the market for a beginners bike.. Looking to spend around £300.
> So far after some investigation I have narrowed it down to a Specialized
> Hardrock or a Giant Yukon... Any opinions??? I shall be testing both, but
> would like a heads up from someone experienced with these things..
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> James

I own a POS Specialized and I passed a more expensive Giant on my ride
Friday. So I would have to say that Specialized is the better choice.

|-

Kent
June 29th 03, 10:01 PM
Have a look at http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/ may be some help

Kent
<Top posting rlues!>

"supadumdum" > wrote in message
> James Davis wrote:
> > Hey...
> >
> > I know people probably ask this kinda question all the time but...
> >
> > I am in the market for a beginners bike.. Looking to spend around £300.
> > So far after some investigation I have narrowed it down to a Specialized
> > Hardrock or a Giant Yukon... Any opinions??? I shall be testing both,
but
> > would like a heads up from someone experienced with these things..
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > James
> >

> I own a POS Specialized and I passed a more expensive Giant on my ride
> Friday. So I would have to say that Specialized is the better choice.
>
> |-

B. Sanders
June 29th 03, 10:56 PM
"James Davis" > wrote in message
> Hey...
>
> I know people probably ask this kinda question all the time but...

No such thing as a dumb question. It's a good question that lots of people
need help with.

> I am in the market for a beginners bike.. Looking to spend around £300.
> So far after some investigation I have narrowed it down to a Specialized
> Hardrock or a Giant Yukon... Any opinions??? I shall be testing both,
but
> would like a heads up from someone experienced with these things..

Both bikes offer excellent value, from solid companies. They're closely
matched, from what I've seen. Pick the one that feels best and fits you
best. Depending on your weight, the shock fork may be a deciding factor.
Stock/OEM saddles and pedals are often crappy - those can be replaced very
easily if you like everything else about the bike.

When you're ready to make your final decision on which bike to buy, have the
shop really dial-in the bike: check tire pressure, trim the gear shifters,
get the saddle angle, fore/aft adj. and seatpost height just right for you,
and then do your serious test ride. It's amazing what a few little
adjustments can do to sway your opinion of a bike. See if you can take the
bike for an extended test ride on actual off-road trails.

Whatever you do, DO NOT let a salesperson talk you into buying a too-big or
too-small bike. They try to do that sometimes. Get many opinions. Take a
knowledgable friend along for help.

Let us know what you end up with, and what you think about it.

Cheers,

Barry

June 29th 03, 11:05 PM
"James Davis" > wrote in message >...
> Hey...
>
> I know people probably ask this kinda question all the time but...
>
> I am in the market for a beginners bike.. Looking to spend around £300.
> So far after some investigation I have narrowed it down to a Specialized
> Hardrock or a Giant Yukon... Any opinions??? I shall be testing both, but
> would like a heads up from someone experienced with these things..
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> James

Even being a Giant owner, and one who has experienced how great their
customer service is between dealerships, they are both good companies,
and good bikes, so it really comes down to what feels better for you.
You won't lose no matter what choice you make.

Twohat
June 30th 03, 12:05 AM
> wrote in message
om...
> "James Davis" > wrote in message
> > Hey...
> >
> > I know people probably ask this kinda question all the time but...
> >
> > I am in the market for a beginners bike.. Looking to spend around £300.
> > So far after some investigation I have narrowed it down to a Specialized
> > Hardrock or a Giant Yukon... Any opinions??? I shall be testing both,
but
> > would like a heads up from someone experienced with these things..
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > James
>
> Even being a Giant owner, and one who has experienced how great their
> customer service is between dealerships, they are both good companies,
> and good bikes, so it really comes down to what feels better for you.
> You won't lose no matter what choice you make.

I agree.

They are both good manufacturers.

IMHO the Giants tend to have better spec bits for the money, but the
Specialized frames seem better - you get what you pay for at the end of the
day.
You can always upgrade components later, but you are stuck with the frame.

I would say ride them both and choose the one which feels best, but then
again you need to grow into a bike, so it isn't always the best advice.

At the end of the day you may have to toss a coin to decide.

Maybe you can use the indecision to your advantage, and buy from the dealer
who will give you the best deal - or the daealer who will fix it best when
you bend it . . .

Twohat (who probably has been no help at all)

iddqdATworldonline.dk
June 30th 03, 12:43 AM
James Davis wrote:
> I am in the market for a beginners bike.. Looking to spend around £300.
> So far after some investigation I have narrowed it down to a Specialized
> Hardrock or a Giant Yukon... Any opinions??? I shall be testing both, but
> would like a heads up from someone experienced with these things..

www.mtbr.com

Either one should be okay.

Regards

Bruno

June 30th 03, 03:23 AM
"Twohat" > wrote in message >...
> > wrote in message
> om...
> > "James Davis" > wrote in message
> > > Hey...
> > >
> > > I know people probably ask this kinda question all the time but...
> > >
> > > I am in the market for a beginners bike.. Looking to spend around £300.
> > > So far after some investigation I have narrowed it down to a Specialized
> > > Hardrock or a Giant Yukon... Any opinions??? I shall be testing both,
> but
> > > would like a heads up from someone experienced with these things..
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance
> > >
> > > James
> >
> > Even being a Giant owner, and one who has experienced how great their
> > customer service is between dealerships, they are both good companies,
> > and good bikes, so it really comes down to what feels better for you.
> > You won't lose no matter what choice you make.
>
> I agree.
>
> They are both good manufacturers.
>
> IMHO the Giants tend to have better spec bits for the money, but the
> Specialized frames seem better - you get what you pay for at the end of the
> day.
> You can always upgrade components later, but you are stuck with the frame.
>
> I would say ride them both and choose the one which feels best, but then
> again you need to grow into a bike, so it isn't always the best advice.
>
> At the end of the day you may have to toss a coin to decide.
>
> Maybe you can use the indecision to your advantage, and buy from the dealer
> who will give you the best deal - or the daealer who will fix it best when
> you bend it . . .
>
> Twohat (who probably has been no help at all)

Here's just another example of how Giant makes getting into off
roading more affordable........http://www.giantbicycles.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?bikesection=8832&lYear=2003

Price...$430. The Suntour fork isn't anything to brag about, but how
about those brakes? You could really enjoy learning and upgrading
that frame.

James Davis
June 30th 03, 08:21 AM
Thanks allot for all your help here people. Much Appreciated.

I shall be riding both the bikes this week and shall let you all know my
outcome, although im kinda leaning towards the specialized for the better
frame.. hmmm..

Thanks once again..

James

"B. Sanders" > wrote in message
> "iddqdATworldonline.dk" > wrote in message
> > James Davis wrote:
> > > I am in the market for a beginners bike.. Looking to spend around
£300.
> > > So far after some investigation I have narrowed it down to a
Specialized
> > > Hardrock or a Giant Yukon... Any opinions??? I shall be testing
both,
> but
> > > would like a heads up from someone experienced with these things..
> > >
> > www.mtbr.com
>
> I *don't* recommend MTBR.com. I used to haunt MTBR before the fools rushed
> in. The prices asked for beaten-up bikes are just unbelievable. And
frames?
> C'mon people! It's just insane. The prices are 2x to 3x reasonable (read:
> eBay)
>
> I was heavily trading on MTBR the first couple of years; but it's nothing
> like it used to be. I have tried a few times to find a deal; but eBay
kicks
> its sorry butt, on every score.
>
> The MTBR search system stinks. There are so many stupid, uncategorized
> "featured" items that any search is likely to take a very long time to
sort
> out. MTBR's classified section is a pale imitation of what it once was,
and
> a waste of time, IMO.
>
> Barry

B a r r y B u r k e J r .
June 30th 03, 11:31 AM
On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 00:05:21 +0100, "Twohat" >
wrote:

> but the
>Specialized frames seem better

Better how?

Barry

JD
June 30th 03, 06:12 PM
"James Davis" > wrote in message >...
> Hey...
>
> I know people probably ask this kinda question all the time but...
>
> I am in the market for a beginners bike.. Looking to spend around £300.
> So far after some investigation I have narrowed it down to a Specialized
> Hardrock or a Giant Yukon... Any opinions???

Whichever one fits the best.

JD

D.Lawrie
July 1st 03, 01:02 AM
"James Davis" > wrote in message
> Hey...
>
> I know people probably ask this kinda question all the time but...
>
> I am in the market for a beginners bike.. Looking to spend around £300.
> So far after some investigation I have narrowed it down to a Specialized
> Hardrock or a Giant Yukon... Any opinions??? I shall be testing both,
but
> would like a heads up from someone experienced with these things..
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> James

Th red and white Yukon looks wicked this year..seems like a good bike for
the money.

Cam

July 1st 03, 04:51 AM
"Twohat" > wrote in message >...
> "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <Keep it in the > wrote
> in message ...
> > On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 00:05:21 +0100, "Twohat" >
> > wrote:
> >

> > > but the
> > >Specialized frames seem better
> >
> > Better how?
> >
> > Barry
> >

> Dunno about the models quoted, but my Rockhopper has some bracing around the
> head, which the same price Giant doesn't. Giants costing quite a bit more do
> have it. And when I bought my Rockhopper I was given a lifetime guarantee
> for the frame. I asked the dealer what it covered and he said normal use. I
> said normal use for a mountain bike is throwing it down mountains and
> bashing it off rocks. He said Yeah thats fine, just don't try to claim if
> you drive over it with your car.
> When I bought a brace of Giants for my daughters the dealer was very vague
> about the frame guarantee, and there certainly wasn't any lifetime guarantee
> quoted in any of the documentation.
>
> I realise that doesn't necessarily make the Specialized frame any better
> than the Giant, and I don't know about other models in either manufacturer's
> range, its just a subjective opinion based on my limited experience.
>
> But then, what do I know?

Giant has a well documented history of placing broken frames, with
little or no questions asked, with a higher end frame.

iddqdATworldonline.dk
July 1st 03, 10:15 PM
B. Sanders wrote:
> I *don't* recommend MTBR.com. I used to haunt MTBR before the fools rushed
> in. The prices asked for beaten-up bikes are just unbelievable. And frames?
> C'mon people! It's just insane. The prices are 2x to 3x reasonable (read:
> eBay)

Eh, I wasn't suggesting to buy anything on www.mtbr.com but merely
suggesting to check out the reviews of the bikes in question.

James didn't ask were to buy but for other peoples experiences with the
bikes.

Kind regards

Bruno

Hosh
July 8th 03, 12:36 AM
James Davis wrote:

> Hey...
>
> I know people probably ask this kinda question all the time but...
>
> I am in the market for a beginners bike.. Looking to spend around £300.

Raleigh. More bike for the buck.

B a r r y B u r k e J r .
July 8th 03, 02:07 AM
On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 23:36:20 GMT, Hosh > wrote:

>James Davis wrote:
>
>> Hey...
>>
>> I know people probably ask this kinda question all the time but...
>>
>> I am in the market for a beginners bike.. Looking to spend around £300.
>
>Raleigh. More bike for the buck.

I work in a shop that sells Raleigh and Giant,along with about 10
other brands.

While Raleigh does give excellent bang for the buck, Giant sometimes
does them one better. We've even had reps that peddle other brands
come in and get pretty impressed with the spec on some Giant models.

Barry

Stephen Baker
July 8th 03, 12:27 PM
Captain Adventure says:

>Raleigh bikes have real nice kickstands.

Yeah - but do they have big wide springy seats?

Steve

Shaun Rimmer
July 8th 03, 12:29 PM
Captain Adventure > wrote in message

> "Hosh" > wrote in message
> > James Davis wrote:
> >
> > > Hey...
> > >
> > > I know people probably ask this kinda question all the time but...
> > >
> > > I am in the market for a beginners bike.. Looking to spend around
£300.

> > Raleigh. More bike for the buck.

> Raleigh bikes have real nice kickstands.

http://www.raleighbikes.com/bikes/index.html

Hmmm, don't see any kickstands there.

Shaun aRe

Hosh
July 9th 03, 07:10 PM
Captain Adventure wrote:

> Raleigh bikes have real nice kickstands.

Actually, I don't know of any manufacturer, including Raleigh, that come with
kickstands, you always have to purchase them aftermarket, as I did with my
Raleigh, it did not come with one.

Then there are those that don't get kickstands at all, so they can just throw
their bikes on the ground like kids in the ghetto do.

Hosh
July 9th 03, 07:13 PM
> > Raleigh bikes have real nice kickstands.
>
> http://www.raleighbikes.com/bikes/index.html
>
> Hmmm, don't see any kickstands there.

The person who made that comment is obviously someone who bought their bike
from Toys-R-Us or Walmart. Anyone serious about bikes knows the better
ones, like Raleighs, don't come with kick stands or water bottles on them,
you always have to buy them separately.

Stephen Baker
July 9th 03, 07:33 PM
Hosh says:

>The person who made that comment is obviously someone who bought their bike
>from Toys-R-Us or Walmart. Anyone serious about bikes knows the better
>ones, like Raleighs, don't come with kick stands or water bottles on them,
>you always have to buy them separately.

"Serious"? Anyone who enjoys the ride, rather than trying to be "serious"
about it, doesn't want a kickstand to begin with. They are the _worst_ kind of
Barney-droppings imaginable.

Steve

Sorni
July 9th 03, 09:55 PM
"Hosh" > wrote in message
> > >Raleigh bikes have real nice kickstands.
> >
> > Yeah - but do they have big wide springy seats?
>
> Actually, neither. Nor do they come with water bottle holders. All
> of these accessories you have to purchase yourself, including a lock and
> chain.

Life is good.

Bill "evil grin" S.

Google