PDA

View Full Version : Its alive... ITS ALIVE! (and pics, too!)

Jon Bond
July 4th 03, 02:34 AM
Finally, got everything working. Still need to trim the cables a bit, put
some cable ends on there (or find some solder), and adjust the suspension a
little (mostly the fork)... and the rear brake could have been bled a tiny
bit better. But hell, its pretty much DONE!

And oh does it ride so sweet. Its getting its first taste of the trail
tomorrow - just a short jaunt to help burn in the discs and play with the
suspension. And then its getting ridden more. And more. And more.

http://www.pbase.com/jonbond/daaaa_blur

Jon Bond

Slacker
July 4th 03, 02:37 AM
> Finally, got everything working. Still need to trim the cables a bit, put
> some cable ends on there (or find some solder), and adjust the suspension a
> little (mostly the fork)... and the rear brake could have been bled a tiny
> bit better. But hell, its pretty much DONE!
>
> And oh does it ride so sweet. Its getting its first taste of the trail
> tomorrow - just a short jaunt to help burn in the discs and play with the
> suspension. And then its getting ridden more. And more. And more.
>
> http://www.pbase.com/jonbond/daaaa_blur
>
> Jon Bond

Awesome, looks great! We'll be expecting a full write-up shortly.
--
Slacker

Sorni
July 4th 03, 03:05 AM
"Jon Bond" > wrote in message
> Finally, got everything working. Still need to trim the cables a bit, put
> some cable ends on there (or find some solder), and adjust the suspension
> little (mostly the fork)... and the rear brake could have been bled a tiny
> bit better. But hell, its pretty much DONE!
>
> And oh does it ride so sweet. Its getting its first taste of the trail
> tomorrow - just a short jaunt to help burn in the discs and play with the
> suspension. And then its getting ridden more. And more. And more.

http://www.pbase.com/image/18594796

If you trim that STEM any more, your bar'll be scratching your top cap!
(Seriously, what is that, like, 90 mm at most?)

Bill "always gotta rag on dude with shiny new rig to hide envy" S.

Jon Bond
July 4th 03, 03:40 AM
"Sorni" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Jon Bond" > wrote in message
> > Finally, got everything working. Still need to trim the cables a bit,
put
> > some cable ends on there (or find some solder), and adjust the
suspension
> > little (mostly the fork)... and the rear brake could have been bled a
tiny
> > bit better. But hell, its pretty much DONE!
> >
> > And oh does it ride so sweet. Its getting its first taste of the trail
> > tomorrow - just a short jaunt to help burn in the discs and play with
the
> > suspension. And then its getting ridden more. And more. And more.
>
> http://www.pbase.com/image/18594796
>
> If you trim that STEM any more, your bar'll be scratching your top cap!
> (Seriously, what is that, like, 90 mm at most?)
>
> Bill "always gotta rag on dude with shiny new rig to hide envy" S.

100mm, from the old bike. Works fine for me, because I'm just above the
medium, but still on the lower end of the small (being 5'11" with long legs
and long arms, but short torso). The position is very comfortable right
now, might drop the stem again and make it a little racier soon. The fork
is still superstiff, and I think they put too much oil in because it doesn't
seem to be getting full travel. I'll ride it till it softens up, then rip
it apart in early august before I go back to school and make sure all the
i's are dotted and the t's crossed.

Jon Bond

Sorni
July 4th 03, 06:42 AM
"Jon Bond" > wrote in message

> "Sorni" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >
> > http://www.pbase.com/image/18594796
> >
> > If you trim that STEM any more, your bar'll be scratching your top cap!

> 100mm, from the old bike.

Optical illusion then; sure looks short in that one pic!

> The fork is still superstiff, and I think they put too much oil in because
it doesn't
> seem to be getting full travel.

10-to-1 you're right! Marzocchi seems to ship ALL their forks with the
wrong amount of oil (both my X-fly and Marathon, for example), and their
"manuals" are pathetic (IMO)...

Bill "once you get 'em dialed in, however -- the best, Jerry, the BEST!" S.

(PS: Changing the oil is really easy, even for ham-fisted moi.)

Jon Bond
July 4th 03, 06:50 AM
"Sorni" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Jon Bond" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Sorni" > wrote in message
> > . ..
> > >
> > > http://www.pbase.com/image/18594796
> > >
> > > If you trim that STEM any more, your bar'll be scratching your top
cap!

> > 100mm, from the old bike.
>
> Optical illusion then; sure looks short in that one pic!

Yeah, it does... strange.

> > The fork is still superstiff, and I think they put too much oil in
because
> it doesn't
> > seem to be getting full travel.
>
> 10-to-1 you're right! Marzocchi seems to ship ALL their forks with the
> wrong amount of oil (both my X-fly and Marathon, for example), and their
> "manuals" are pathetic (IMO)...

Mine shipped with a "Monster" series manual. I downloaded the real one.
Just curious, is yours an marathon SL? How's your negative pressure compare
to your positive? 0-150 psi doesn't really help too much, Marzocchi!

> Bill "once you get 'em dialed in, however -- the best, Jerry, the BEST!"
S.

> (PS: Changing the oil is really easy, even for ham-fisted moi.)

Any tips? I've done it on my old Z2... ok, Carla's old Z2.... but haven't
touched anything on the Marathon yet.

Jon Bond

Sorni
July 4th 03, 08:23 AM
"Jon Bond" > wrote in message

> "Sorni" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > "Jon Bond" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Sorni" > wrote in message
> > > . ..

> cap!
> >
> > > 100mm, from the old bike.
> >
> > Optical illusion then; sure looks short in that one pic!
>
> Yeah, it does... strange.

I think it's because the bar is turned...(and maybe the top spacers, too :)

> > > The fork is still superstiff, and I think they put too much oil in
> because
> > it doesn't
> > > seem to be getting full travel.
> >
> > 10-to-1 you're right! Marzocchi seems to ship ALL their forks with the
> > wrong amount of oil (both my X-fly and Marathon, for example), and their
> > "manuals" are pathetic (IMO)...
>
> Mine shipped with a "Monster" series manual. I downloaded the real one.
> Just curious, is yours an marathon SL? How's your negative pressure
compare
> to your positive? 0-150 psi doesn't really help too much, Marzocchi!

Yup, '02 Marathon 100 (pretty sure it's an "SL" -- looks exactly like
yours). My shock pumps are both high pressure, so I go by feel mostly. Low
psi in positives (~35? or even less), and only ~100 in neg (which needs
refilling every 3-4 days). Actually got some really helpful tuning tips on
MTBR (don't tell JD!). Getting the oil levels right is key, and makes
setting the air easier (as in more effective).

> > (PS: Changing the oil is really easy, even for ham-fisted moi.)
>
> Any tips? I've done it on my old Z2... ok, Carla's old Z2.... but
haven't
> touched anything on the Marathon yet.

Yes. GO TO BED! (Hell, it's late HERE -- no wonder your parents on on your
ass :)

Get a socket that fits (that's for Michael Paul, from when I used a
plumber's wrench!) -- drain out old oil on rag or whatever -- pump (fork)
legs a few times (and neg cartidge thingy) -- pour in new oil, using less
than you'd think.

Oh, and be sure to turn bike over on lawn, so that little ECT plug dealie
falls in grass and you spend literally 45 minutes looking for it until lady
neighbor across street asks if you're OK -- really helps make the operation
extra enjoyable.

Bill "what, Nancy, you never lived on a street where people crawl around in
their front yards before?" S.

spademan o---[\) *
July 4th 03, 08:42 AM
"Sorni" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Jon Bond" > wrote in message
> > Finally, got everything working. Still need to trim the cables a bit,
put
> > some cable ends on there (or find some solder), and adjust the
suspension
> > little (mostly the fork)... and the rear brake could have been bled a
tiny
> > bit better. But hell, its pretty much DONE!
> >
> > And oh does it ride so sweet. Its getting its first taste of the trail
> > tomorrow - just a short jaunt to help burn in the discs and play with
the
> > suspension. And then its getting ridden more. And more. And more.
>
> http://www.pbase.com/image/18594796
>
> If you trim that STEM any more, your bar'll be scratching your top cap!
> (Seriously, what is that, like, 90 mm at most?)

Whats wrong with a 90mm stem? I run a 75mm on my full susser and a 70mm on
my rigid. Works great.

Steve E.

Shaun Rimmer
July 4th 03, 10:06 AM
Jon "Sponsored" Bond excitedly wrote:

> Finally, got everything working. Still need to trim the cables a bit, put
> some cable ends on there (or find some solder), and adjust the suspension
> little (mostly the fork)... and the rear brake could have been bled a tiny
> bit better. But hell, its pretty much DONE!
>
> And oh does it ride so sweet. Its getting its first taste of the trail
> tomorrow - just a short jaunt to help burn in the discs and play with the
> suspension. And then its getting ridden more. And more. And more.
>
> http://www.pbase.com/jonbond/daaaa_blur

Congratuluckingfations Jon! Now STFU and ride the bloody thing already.

Shaun aRe

Shaun Rimmer
July 4th 03, 10:09 AM
spademan o---[) * > wrote in message

> "Sorni" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >
> > "Jon Bond" > wrote in message
> > > Finally, got everything working. Still need to trim the cables a bit,
> put
> > > some cable ends on there (or find some solder), and adjust the
> suspension
> > > little (mostly the fork)... and the rear brake could have been bled a
> tiny
> > > bit better. But hell, its pretty much DONE!
> > >
> > > And oh does it ride so sweet. Its getting its first taste of the
trail
> > > tomorrow - just a short jaunt to help burn in the discs and play with
> the
> > > suspension. And then its getting ridden more. And more. And more.
> >
> > http://www.pbase.com/image/18594796
> >
> > If you trim that STEM any more, your bar'll be scratching your top cap!
> > (Seriously, what is that, like, 90 mm at most?)
>
> Whats wrong with a 90mm stem? I run a 75mm on my full susser and a 70mm on
> my rigid. Works great.
>
> Steve E.

Think I'm running a 50mm. Your stem is obviously too long Steve.

Shaun aRe

Danny
July 4th 03, 01:56 PM
Excellent bike Jon... enjoy!!!
Danny

"Jon Bond" > wrote in message
> (snip) But hell, its pretty much DONE!
> http://www.pbase.com/jonbond/daaaa_blur
>
> Jon Bond

Peter Tønnesen
July 4th 03, 02:33 PM
"Jon Bond" > skrev i en meddelelse
> Finally, got everything working. Still need to trim the cables a bit, put
> some cable ends on there (or find some solder), and adjust the suspension
> little (mostly the fork)... and the rear brake could have been bled a tiny
> bit better. But hell, its pretty much DONE!
>
> And oh does it ride so sweet. Its getting its first taste of the trail
> tomorrow - just a short jaunt to help burn in the discs and play with the
> suspension. And then its getting ridden more. And more. And more.
>
> http://www.pbase.com/jonbond/daaaa_blur

How did a school "kid" get the hands in that beauty ;-) Nice rig, i must say
....if your in to FS though ;-)

Peet
DK

Google