PDA

View Full Version : sanctions...

NF
July 7th 03, 06:20 AM
I'm reading up about triple clamp forks because i'll be buying some soon but
I don't know what they mean by "sanctions".

For example the Marzocchi Super T Pro's have "30mm Sanctions", what is this?

THanks
nick

Slash
July 7th 03, 07:12 AM
On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 15:20:23 +1000, "NF" > scribbled:

>I'm reading up about triple clamp forks because i'll be buying some soon but
>I don't know what they mean by "sanctions".
>
>For example the Marzocchi Super T Pro's have "30mm Sanctions", what is this?
>
>THanks
>nick

Well, see, sanctions are put into place to prevent countries from
shipping or receiving certain types of goods or materials. :P

That's probably why you're confused, some webpages just don't spell
check... A *stanchion*, however, is found on the left and right side
of a fork, they're the shiny cylinder between the top arch and the
bottom sleeve. The slidy bits that look shiny and sometimes have
accordian-style rubber around them to protect against dirt & grime.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=stanchion

The 30mm refers to the diameter of the tubes. Wider means (in theory)
better lateral stiffness and ability to withstand higher impact
forces.

-Slash
--
"Ebert Victorious"
-The Onion

NF
July 7th 03, 12:04 PM
thanks for the reply's guys.

i'll be fitting these on a specialized p3 hardtail frame.. thoughts?
suggestions?

i know i should be gettting a dual suspension frame for these forks but i
don't really like the dual suspension setups, ill mostly be using the bike
for freeriding etc.

nick

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" > wrote in message
m...
> "NF" > wrote in message
> u...
> > I'm reading up about triple clamp forks because i'll be buying some soon
> but
> > I don't know what they mean by "sanctions".
> >
> > For example the Marzocchi Super T Pro's have "30mm Sanctions", what is
> this?
>
> They are coercive measures taken by a group of nations in order to
pressure
> another nation to abide by international law. And they're 3 centimeters
> long.
>
> IMO, if you don't know what stanchions are, you shouldn't be buying
> triple-clamp forks. But if you really wanna, 30mm is the diameter of the
> fork tubes that the clamps clamp onto. Motorcycles often have 43 or 46mm
> stanchions, but they are often tapered and most new forks are inverted,
> meaning that the sliders are on the bottom and go up into the "uppers."
You
> will want to protect these inverted fork sliders, especially since they're
> closer to the ground. Most inv forks have guards on them already. Inv
> forks are better because they reduce unsprung weight, but I think for
> bicycles, it's a flashy feature.
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

KSlater
July 9th 03, 01:54 AM
Stanchions? or Sanctions? Stanchions are another term used for the fork
legs. Super T 03's should have 32 mm Stanchions.

Frank
"NF" > wrote in message
u...
> I'm reading up about triple clamp forks because i'll be buying some soon
but
> I don't know what they mean by "sanctions".
>
> For example the Marzocchi Super T Pro's have "30mm Sanctions", what is
this?

> THanks
> nick

KSlater
July 9th 03, 01:55 AM
I would prefer the Manitou triple clamp Sherman fork. Or a Flick. (also from
Manitou).

Frank
"John Morgan" > wrote in message
> > i'll be fitting these on a specialized p3 hardtail frame.. thoughts?
> > suggestions?
> >
> > i know i should be gettting a dual suspension frame for these forks but
> > don't really like the dual suspension setups, ill mostly be using the
bike
> > for freeriding etc.
>
> There are other forks that will work well for freeriding on your P3. I
> recommend that you DON'T use the SuperT, 7 inches of travel may prove to
be
> too much. That bike would be better suited with a Marzocchi Z.1 Freeride
> (FR) or a Z.1 Dropoff. If you want to save some money, get a Marzocchi
> Dirtjumper II or III. If your wheelset has standard axles, make sure to
> order the standard axle setup. If it has 20mm axles, make sure to order
the
> 20mm axle setup.
>
> -John Morgan

Google