PDA

View Full Version : Fitting New Grips

Peter
July 7th 03, 09:57 AM
Hi,

After a recent tumble I am planning on putting new grips on my bike.

What's the best way to go about this? I have read that putting a little
spray paint inside the grips before fitting will help them into place and
also make sure they stay put when it's dry.

Any tips for a maintenance newbie?

Cheers,

Peter.

spademan o---[\) *
July 7th 03, 10:30 AM
"Peter" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> After a recent tumble I am planning on putting new grips on my bike.
>
> What's the best way to go about this? I have read that putting a little
> spray paint inside the grips before fitting will help them into place and
> also make sure they stay put when it's dry.
>
> Any tips for a maintenance newbie?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter.

To take grips off: push a spare spoke or flat blade screwdriver unser the
grip (careful now!) and squirt a bit of wd-40 etc under.
To put grips on: make sure grips and bars are clean and dry, spray a bit of
hairspray inside the grip, wait a few seconds for it to tackify the slide
on. If the grip won't go on easy use the flat of your palm against the end
of the grip to bash it on.

Steve E.

Mark \(UK\)
July 7th 03, 11:50 AM
"spademan o---[) *" > wrote in message

> "Peter" > wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > After a recent tumble I am planning on putting new grips on my bike.
> >
> > What's the best way to go about this? I have read that putting a little
> > spray paint inside the grips before fitting will help them into place
and
> > also make sure they stay put when it's dry.
> >
> > Any tips for a maintenance newbie?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Peter.
> >

> To take grips off: push a spare spoke or flat blade screwdriver unser the
> grip (careful now!) and squirt a bit of wd-40 etc under.
> To put grips on: make sure grips and bars are clean and dry, spray a bit
of
> hairspray inside the grip, wait a few seconds for it to tackify the slide
> on. If the grip won't go on easy use the flat of your palm against the end
> of the grip to bash it on.
>
> Steve E.

I always try to free grips by spraying water under them, if you use WD40
some gets left on the bar and the new grips slip more. Definitely use
hairspray to secure the new ones though, works a treat. Cheap hair spray is
best too, tends to be more sticky that posh stuff.

Mark

Peter
July 7th 03, 11:52 AM
"Mark (UK)" > wrote in message

> "spademan o---[) *" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Peter" > wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > After a recent tumble I am planning on putting new grips on my bike.
> > >
> > > What's the best way to go about this? I have read that putting a
little
> > > spray paint inside the grips before fitting will help them into place
> and
> > > also make sure they stay put when it's dry.
> > >
> > > Any tips for a maintenance newbie?
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Peter.
> > >

> > To take grips off: push a spare spoke or flat blade screwdriver unser
the
> > grip (careful now!) and squirt a bit of wd-40 etc under.
> > To put grips on: make sure grips and bars are clean and dry, spray a bit
> of
> > hairspray inside the grip, wait a few seconds for it to tackify the
slide
> > on. If the grip won't go on easy use the flat of your palm against the
end
> > of the grip to bash it on.
> >
> > Steve E.
> >

> I always try to free grips by spraying water under them, if you use WD40
> some gets left on the bar and the new grips slip more. Definitely use
> hairspray to secure the new ones though, works a treat. Cheap hair spray
is
> best too, tends to be more sticky that posh stuff.
>
> Mark

Thanks guys, hair spray it is.

Peter.

ctg
July 7th 03, 11:58 AM
"Peter" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> After a recent tumble I am planning on putting new grips on my bike.
>
> What's the best way to go about this? I have read that putting a little
> spray paint inside the grips before fitting will help them into place and
> also make sure they stay put when it's dry.
>
> Any tips for a maintenance newbie?

ODI lock-ons are easy and don't slip IMO, you can use use paint, hairspray,
superglue, etc... to ease installation of regular grips.

Chris

Gyp
July 7th 03, 12:38 PM
Peter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After a recent tumble I am planning on putting new grips on my bike.
>
> What's the best way to go about this? I have read that putting a little
> spray paint inside the grips before fitting will help them into place and
> also make sure they stay put when it's dry.
>
> Any tips for a maintenance newbie?

I did a couple of new ones a couple of weeks back.. I used water to get
them on and off. Worked very well indeed and unlike using sprays it
doesn't leave a sticky residue which causes grief later on in life.

Don't EVER use an oil or petrolem based lubricant or spray on your
rubber grips as they will will be absorbed and shorten the life of your
grips.

Gyp

M_Blood
July 7th 03, 06:48 PM
I had some water loosen up my grips a few weeks ago and tried everything
from hairspray to superglue to get them to stick again. Nothing worked,
so eventually I wrapped my bars with a good layer of electrical tape and
fixed the problem. Worked great, although I haven't tried getting them
off yet. That might pose to be another challenge....Mike

M_Blood
July 7th 03, 07:10 PM
I had some water loosen up my grips a few weeks ago and tried everything
from hairspray to superglue to get them to stick again. Nothing worked,
so eventually I wrapped my bars with a good layer of electrical tape and
fixed the problem. Worked great, although I haven't tried getting them
off yet. That might pose to be another challenge....Mike

Jon Bond
July 7th 03, 08:00 PM
"Peter" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> After a recent tumble I am planning on putting new grips on my bike.
>
> What's the best way to go about this? I have read that putting a little
> spray paint inside the grips before fitting will help them into place and
> also make sure they stay put when it's dry.
>
> Any tips for a maintenance newbie?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter.

The BEST is compressed air, for putting on and off. Keeps the grips and bar
free of everything, so its bare, sticky rubber on metal or carbon.
Hairspray works usually, although I've had a grip spin after using hairspray
once it got water in there.

The best? ODI lock ons. with Oury lock-on grips. Mmmm. Come with sweet
bar end plugs too.

Jon Bond

Westie
July 8th 03, 12:40 AM
"Shaun Rimmer" > wrote in message

> Peter > wrote in message
> > "Mark (UK)" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > "spademan o---[) *" > wrote in
> message

> > little
> place
> > > and

> > the
> bit
> > > of
> > slide
> > end

> > > I always try to free grips by spraying water under them, if you use
WD40
> > > some gets left on the bar and the new grips slip more. Definitely use
> > > hairspray to secure the new ones though, works a treat. Cheap hair
spray
> > is
> > > best too, tends to be more sticky that posh stuff.
> > >
> > > Mark
> > >

> > Thanks guys, hair spray it is.
>
> I used superglue when hairspray didn't work. Yes, it comes
> off........eventually...........ahem.
>

> Shaun aRe

Don't give him ideas like that. He'll be asking for tips on how to free a
Newbie from his bars!
--
Westie

Bill Porter
July 8th 03, 02:43 AM
On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 08:57:13 +0000 (UTC), "Peter"
> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>After a recent tumble I am planning on putting new grips on my bike.
>
>What's the best way to go about this? I have read that putting a little
>spray paint inside the grips before fitting will help them into place and
>also make sure they stay put when it's dry.
>
>Any tips for a maintenance newbie?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Peter.

Here is a trick that has worked great for me. This is the technique I
used when I built and regripped golf clubs. You use 2" wide
doublesided masking tape, cut to the length of the grip and placed
around the handlebar. Then take a little solvent and pour into the
grip while holding your finger in or on the hole at the other end.
Slosh the solvent around until the inside of the grip is fully coated
then pour the solvent out of the grip and onto the masking tape.
Slide the grip on and give it about 12 hours or so to dry. I have
yet to have a problem with them coming loose, even on this ride.

www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/SequelDemoForestRide-Web.mpg
(24MB)

To remove the grip, simply take a syringe, fill it with solvent, poke
the needle through the grip in the middle (best to use a shallow
angle). Push in the solvent to make a nice sized bubble. Pull out
the needle, cover the hole with your thumb and work the bubble around
the inside of the grip until the solvent covers the masking tape and
the grip will slide right off. Remove the old tape while it is still
wet. Should come off in one piece.

Bill Porter
www.mountainbikebill.com

Tape
http://www.golfsmith.com/cm/ppage.php?stynum=902B&lcode=

Solvent
http://www.golfsmith.com/cm/ppage.php?stynum=9158&lcode=cm_supplies

Syringe
Check with your local addict or medical supply store. If you really
want a industrial version (This is what I have) you can check out this
one.
http://www.componentsplus.com/viewitem.asp?ID=341

Slacker
July 8th 03, 03:46 AM
> > I used superglue when hairspray didn't work. Yes, it comes
> > off........eventually...........ahem.
> >

> > Shaun aRe
>
> Don't give him ideas like that. He'll be asking for tips on how to free a
> Newbie from his bars!
> --
> Westie

Or how to free his hand from his penis after he takes a leak!

--
Slacker

Peter
July 8th 03, 09:06 AM
"Westie" > wrote in message

> "Shaun Rimmer" > wrote in message
> >
> > Peter > wrote in message

> > message

> bike.

> > > little
> > place

> unser
> > > the
> > bit
> > > slide
> the
> > > end

> WD40
> spray
> > > is

> > > Thanks guys, hair spray it is.
> >
> > I used superglue when hairspray didn't work. Yes, it comes
> > off........eventually...........ahem.
> >

> > Shaun aRe
>
> Don't give him ideas like that. He'll be asking for tips on how to free a
> Newbie from his bars!
> --
> Westie

Erm... I'm having to get my wife to type this, erm... ahem.

;-)

Hairspray worked a treat.

Peter.

Shaun Rimmer
July 8th 03, 10:11 AM
Westie > wrote in message

> "Shaun Rimmer" > wrote in message

> > I used superglue when hairspray didn't work. Yes, it comes
> > off........eventually...........ahem.
> >

> > Shaun aRe
>
> Don't give him ideas like that. He'll be asking for tips on how to free a
> Newbie from his bars!

And that's a problem why? >',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Shaun Rimmer
July 8th 03, 10:12 AM
Peter > wrote in message
> "Westie" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Shaun Rimmer" > wrote in message

> > > I used superglue when hairspray didn't work. Yes, it comes
> > > off........eventually...........ahem.
> > >

> > > Shaun aRe
> >
> > Don't give him ideas like that. He'll be asking for tips on how to free
> > Newbie from his bars!
> > --
> > Westie
> >

> Erm... I'm having to get my wife to type this, erm... ahem.

Heheheheh........

> ;-)
>
> Hairspray worked a treat.

Good - watch out if you have been riding in rain for a while, 'cos some
hairspray doesn't like that and dissolves again.

Shaun aRe

Peter
July 8th 03, 05:02 PM
"Shaun Rimmer" > wrote in message

> Peter > wrote in message

> > > Don't give him ideas like that. He'll be asking for tips on how to
free
> > > Newbie from his bars!
> > > --
> > > Westie
> > >

> > Erm... I'm having to get my wife to type this, erm... ahem.
>
> Heheheheh........
>
> > ;-)
> >
> > Hairspray worked a treat.
>
> Good - watch out if you have been riding in rain for a while, 'cos some
> hairspray doesn't like that and dissolves again.
>

> Shaun aRe

Thanks Shaun, I'll be prepared for that. It's been raining here since I
bought the damned bike ;-)

Still, it isn't mountian biking unless you get covered in mud and rain is
it?

Peter.

Unky
July 9th 03, 04:51 AM
In article >,
says...
> "Jon Bond" > wrote in message
>
> > The BEST is compressed air, for putting on and off. Keeps the grips and
> bar
> > free of everything, so its bare, sticky rubber on metal or carbon.
> > Hairspray works usually, although I've had a grip spin after using
> hairspray
> > once it got water in there.
>
> I was hoping someone else would mention this. Compressed air is by far
> the easiest, and with my Oury grips (standard type?) I have never had a
> problem with grips coming loose. I used the hairspray option until I was
> told about the compressed air. Hairspray did fine too, at least for me, but
> air is far easier. (A friend had problems with the grip slipping afterward,
> even a day later.)
> Take a compressed air hose with a blower end on it, and blow the air
> under the edge of the grip as you slide it on or off. Get the bar good and
> clean with rubbing alcohol before putting on new grips. (Rubbing alcohol is
> what makes the hairspray work too, by the way.)
> --

I don't have an air compressor. However, I do have access to a can of
compressed air...the kind used to blow dust out of computers. Anybody
try install grips using a can of compressed air?

Shaun Rimmer
July 9th 03, 10:06 AM
Peter > wrote in message
> "Shaun Rimmer" > wrote in message

> Thanks Shaun, I'll be prepared for that. It's been raining here since I
> bought the damned bike ;-)
>
> Still, it isn't mountian biking unless you get covered in mud and rain is
> it?

Not for us Britainians eh?

',;~}~

Shaun aRe

D H
July 10th 03, 05:21 AM
"Unky" > wrote in message

> I don't have an air compressor. However, I do have access to a can of
> compressed air...the kind used to blow dust out of computers. Anybody
> try install grips using a can of compressed air?
Haven't tried that method myself, but I'm just speculating that it may
not have the amount of air necessary to be very economical. The compressor
method does make short work of it, but it does also put out a lot of air
fast. Doing it with a can might not get fast enough movement of the grips to
be worthhile. It might be worth a try, but I couldn't recommend it, me being
a cheapskate. :-)
--
Off to ride the mountains, D H
Reply to newsgroup. Spam is out of control.

Sorni
July 11th 03, 11:21 PM
"Taywood" > wrote in message
> My method is to dip the end of the bar in scalding hot water,
> wait, then slide off the hot grip. Wipe the bar and push on
> the new grip.

And enjoy a spot of tea in the process?

Bill "a tad salty" S.

Google