PDA

View Full Version : Disc Brakes...

TJ
July 7th 03, 07:27 PM
I'm looking for a good hydraulic disc brake system. I do pretty aggresive
cross country riding, meaning I look for very steep very technical trails to
ride both up and down and thow in the moderate connecting trails. I'm
curently using the Shimano brakes that came with the 2002 Specialized
Enduro, I believe they are the M525 hydraulic disk brakes. The problem is
that as the pads wear, the 2 pistons don't move in the same amount so 1 pad
will start rubbing and in turn sqeel. They also start to fade a bit after a
long steep decent. I'm sure I would like the Shimano XT, or some Hayes
equivelent disk brakes but I was wondering if there were some different
brands like Grimeca, Hope, or Magura that someone would have some input on.
Input on Shimano and Hayes would also be welcome.

Thanks for any help on this topic.

TJ

Westie
July 8th 03, 12:34 AM
"Chris Phillipo" > wrote in message
.. .
> In article >,
> says...
> > I'm looking for a good hydraulic disc brake system. I do pretty
aggresive
> > cross country riding, meaning I look for very steep very technical
trails to
> > ride both up and down and thow in the moderate connecting trails. I'm
> > curently using the Shimano brakes that came with the 2002 Specialized
> > Enduro, I believe they are the M525 hydraulic disk brakes. The problem
is
> > that as the pads wear, the 2 pistons don't move in the same amount so 1
pad
> > will start rubbing and in turn sqeel. They also start to fade a bit
after a
> > long steep decent. I'm sure I would like the Shimano XT, or some Hayes
> > equivelent disk brakes but I was wondering if there were some different
> > brands like Grimeca, Hope, or Magura that someone would have some input
on.
> > Input on Shimano and Hayes would also be welcome.
> >
> > Thanks for any help on this topic.
> >
> > TJ
> >

> I would suggest same better aftermarket pads from Koolstop or EBC before
> you go throwing out those brakes. I have Hayes but I can't say they are
> really that much better than Shimano Deore. In fact I think the deore
> lever is much better designed.
> --
> _________________________
> Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
> http://www.ramsays-online.com

I've just put another new set of EBC Green in and I'm sure people think that
it's a hog-on-fire coming up behind them. The squealing is terrible! LOL!
I'll let them bed in a little before I reach for the oil can. Good pads
won't always solve the problem. But better brakes probably won't either.
Water certainly doesn't help. I don't know a great deal about the brakes
but would get them checked - it doesn't sound right that one piston is
moving less than the other.
--
Westie

John Harlow
July 8th 03, 03:57 AM
"> I'm looking for a good hydraulic disc brake system. I do pretty
aggresive
> cross country riding, meaning I look for very steep very technical trails
> ride both up and down and thow in the moderate connecting trails. I'm
> curently using the Shimano brakes that came with the 2002 Specialized
> Enduro, I believe they are the M525 hydraulic disk brakes. The problem is
> that as the pads wear, the 2 pistons don't move in the same amount so 1
pad
> will start rubbing and in turn sqeel. They also start to fade a bit after
> long steep decent.

I'm not so sure disc are a good idea for long steep descents. I have them
(Hayes) and frankly the small rotors don't have enough surface area to
dissipate the heat. They burn up while the rim brake riders have no
problem. This seems to be the one (infrequent at least in my case )
downside with discs. Once they get superheated they seem to severely loose
effectiveness too.

You might have marginally better luck with larger (8 inch) rotors.

P e t e F a g e r l i n
July 8th 03, 04:08 AM
On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 22:57:13 -0400, "John Harlow"
> wrote:

|"> I'm looking for a good hydraulic disc brake system. I do pretty
|aggresive
|> cross country riding, meaning I look for very steep very technical trails
|> ride both up and down and thow in the moderate connecting trails. I'm
|> curently using the Shimano brakes that came with the 2002 Specialized
|> Enduro, I believe they are the M525 hydraulic disk brakes. The problem is
|> that as the pads wear, the 2 pistons don't move in the same amount so 1
|pad
|> will start rubbing and in turn sqeel. They also start to fade a bit after
|> long steep decent.
|
|I'm not so sure disc are a good idea for long steep descents. I have them
|(Hayes) and frankly the small rotors don't have enough surface area to
|dissipate the heat. They burn up while the rim brake riders have no
|problem. This seems to be the one (infrequent at least in my case )
|downside with discs. Once they get superheated they seem to severely loose
|effectiveness too.

Wow.

That is quite the opposite of my experience with many different
flavors of rims brakes.

I used to get heat flats with cantis/Vs/hydraulic rim brakes on one
long, hot, steep descent.

No problem with discs, even with the relatively crappy Magura Louise
discs that I used for a while.

Slacker
July 8th 03, 04:12 AM
"John Harlow" > wrote in message ...

> I'm not so sure disc are a good idea for long steep descents. I have them
> (Hayes) and frankly the small rotors don't have enough surface area to
> dissipate the heat. They burn up while the rim brake riders have no
> problem. This seems to be the one (infrequent at least in my case )
> downside with discs. Once they get superheated they seem to severely loose
> effectiveness too.
>
> You might have marginally better luck with larger (8 inch) rotors.

Interesting, I'm on my 2nd season DH'ing with 6" (front & rear) Hayes hydros......no problems here or at places like San Juan trail
(6 mi DH).

Sounds like you may have a bad bleed?
--
Slacker

David Kunz
July 8th 03, 09:16 AM
Westie wrote:
> "Chris Phillipo" > wrote in message
> .. .
>
>>In article >,
>>says...
>>
>>>I'm looking for a good hydraulic disc brake system. I do pretty
>
> aggresive
>
>>>cross country riding, meaning I look for very steep very technical
>
> trails to
>
>>>ride both up and down and thow in the moderate connecting trails. I'm
>>>curently using the Shimano brakes that came with the 2002 Specialized
>>>Enduro, I believe they are the M525 hydraulic disk brakes. The problem
>
> is
>
>>>that as the pads wear, the 2 pistons don't move in the same amount so 1
>
> pad
>
>>>will start rubbing and in turn sqeel. They also start to fade a bit
>
> after a
>
>>>long steep decent. I'm sure I would like the Shimano XT, or some Hayes
>>>equivelent disk brakes but I was wondering if there were some different
>>>brands like Grimeca, Hope, or Magura that someone would have some input
>
> on.
>
>>>Input on Shimano and Hayes would also be welcome.
>>>
>>>Thanks for any help on this topic.
>>>
>>>TJ
>>>

>>I would suggest same better aftermarket pads from Koolstop or EBC before
>>you go throwing out those brakes. I have Hayes but I can't say they are
>>really that much better than Shimano Deore. In fact I think the deore
>>lever is much better designed.
>>--
>>_________________________
>>Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
>>http://www.ramsays-online.com
>

> I've just put another new set of EBC Green in and I'm sure people think that
> it's a hog-on-fire coming up behind them. The squealing is terrible! LOL!
> I'll let them bed in a little before I reach for the oil can. Good pads
> won't always solve the problem. But better brakes probably won't either.
> Water certainly doesn't help. I don't know a great deal about the brakes
> but would get them checked - it doesn't sound right that one piston is
> moving less than the other.
> --
> Westie

Standard answer -- disc brake squeel us usually oil contamination -- on
the rotor and on the pads. SO, just replacing the pads won't get rid of
the squeel. A common source of the oil is from cleaning your chain. I
learned early to be really careful not to spray water from the chain
side even remotely in the direction of the discs -- even low pressure
water'll carry that lube onto your rotor and it lubes just as well there
as on your chain :). I even made a disc cover from a big plastic lid
that I put over it when I clean my chain on the bike so that I don't
have to worry.

BUT, things to try...
- comet
- alcohol
- auto brake cleaner (not on hayes)
- mud -- this is what works best for me. Smear it on the rotor and
ride. Repeat as necessary :). I use fine mud without stones -- stones
get in the holes of the rotor and gouge the pads -- not a show stopper,
just a little less pad in contact with the rotor until they wear even
again. The big advantage to mud is that it's always available :). If
you're not near water, make some mud with water from your hydration pak
and a little trail dirt. AND, it's best not to do it at the bottom of a
hill -- the rotor's a bit hot (although the sizzle's kinda neat until
you realize a nano-second later that it's your finger that's sizzling :)).

David

David Kunz
July 8th 03, 09:19 AM
John Harlow wrote:
> "> I'm looking for a good hydraulic disc brake system. I do pretty
> aggresive
>
>>cross country riding, meaning I look for very steep very technical trails

>>ride both up and down and thow in the moderate connecting trails. I'm
>>curently using the Shimano brakes that came with the 2002 Specialized
>>Enduro, I believe they are the M525 hydraulic disk brakes. The problem is
>>that as the pads wear, the 2 pistons don't move in the same amount so 1
>
> pad
>
>>will start rubbing and in turn sqeel. They also start to fade a bit after

>>long steep decent.
>

> I'm not so sure disc are a good idea for long steep descents. I have them
> (Hayes) and frankly the small rotors don't have enough surface area to
> dissipate the heat. They burn up while the rim brake riders have no
> problem. This seems to be the one (infrequent at least in my case )
> downside with discs. Once they get superheated they seem to severely loose
> effectiveness too.
>
> You might have marginally better luck with larger (8 inch) rotors.

Maybe it's the hydrolic fluid? I have Hayes mechanicals and have no
fade problems -- even on long mountain fire-road descents. I use EBC
green pads, but I've also done it with Hayes pads and found them to
slighly better at fade resistance.

David

Shaun Rimmer
July 8th 03, 11:48 AM
John Harlow > wrote in message

> "> I'm looking for a good hydraulic disc brake system. I do pretty
> aggresive
> > cross country riding, meaning I look for very steep very technical
trails
> > ride both up and down and thow in the moderate connecting trails. I'm
> > curently using the Shimano brakes that came with the 2002 Specialized
> > Enduro, I believe they are the M525 hydraulic disk brakes. The problem
is
> > that as the pads wear, the 2 pistons don't move in the same amount so 1
> pad
> > will start rubbing and in turn sqeel. They also start to fade a bit
after
> > long steep decent.
>
> I'm not so sure disc are a good idea for long steep descents. I have them
> (Hayes) and frankly the small rotors don't have enough surface area to
> dissipate the heat. They burn up while the rim brake riders have no
> problem. This seems to be the one (infrequent at least in my case )
> downside with discs. Once they get superheated they seem to severely
loose
> effectiveness too.
>
> You might have marginally better luck with larger (8 inch) rotors.

They do a what when?!?!?!?!? Discs are the _best_ idea for long steep
descents 'IMNSHO' - only probs I heard of are with the closed system ones
(with pad clearance adjustable on the master cyl.), where the pads get tight
against the rotor as they get hot and they lock up. The open ones (like my
Hope Mini) 'self-adjust', so this doesn't happen. Only time they faded on me
was when my fork seal went and dumped fork oil all over the rotor, which
wasn't the fault of the brakes, obviously - they have _never_ let me down
otherwise.

Shaun aRe - To the OP - I can highly recommend the HOPE brakes, from
experience, and they came highly recommended to me the same way.

Michael Dart
July 8th 03, 12:10 PM
"John Harlow" > wrote in message

> "> I'm looking for a good hydraulic disc brake system. I do pretty
> aggresive
> > cross country riding, meaning I look for very steep very technical
trails
> > ride both up and down and thow in the moderate connecting trails. I'm
> > curently using the Shimano brakes that came with the 2002 Specialized
> > Enduro, I believe they are the M525 hydraulic disk brakes. The problem
is
> > that as the pads wear, the 2 pistons don't move in the same amount so 1
> pad
> > will start rubbing and in turn sqeel. They also start to fade a bit
after
> > long steep decent.
>
> I'm not so sure disc are a good idea for long steep descents. I have them
> (Hayes) and frankly the small rotors don't have enough surface area to
> dissipate the heat. They burn up while the rim brake riders have no
> problem. This seems to be the one (infrequent at least in my case )
> downside with discs. Once they get superheated they seem to severely
loose
> effectiveness too.
>
> You might have marginally better luck with larger (8 inch) rotors.

What?! Must be those 'Comp' level brakes. ;^) No problems with my 8in
Hayes Mags or 5 1/4" Hope Minis.

Mike - who'll never go back to rim brakes.

John Harlow
July 8th 03, 02:08 PM
> > I'm not so sure disc are a good idea for long steep descents. I have
them
> > (Hayes) and frankly the small rotors don't have enough surface area to
> > dissipate the heat. They burn up while the rim brake riders have no
> > problem. This seems to be the one (infrequent at least in my case )
> > downside with discs. Once they get superheated they seem to severely
> loose
> > effectiveness too.
> >
> > You might have marginally better luck with larger (8 inch) rotors.
> >

> What?! Must be those 'Comp' level brakes. ;^) No problems with my 8in
> Hayes Mags or 5 1/4" Hope Minis.

Wow. Apparently I am the only one to have ever had this happen. But
careening down a narrow mountain hillside with a rapidly approaching
switchback and a fistfull of brake lever fading to virtual nothingness got
my attention.

BTW, it wasn't the comps either - it was the stock ones on the Giant.

Alan McClure
July 8th 03, 02:34 PM
"John Harlow" > wrote in message
> > > I'm not so sure disc are a good idea for long steep descents. I have
> them
> > > (Hayes) and frankly the small rotors don't have enough surface area to
> > > dissipate the heat. They burn up while the rim brake riders have no
> > > problem. This seems to be the one (infrequent at least in my case )
> > > downside with discs. Once they get superheated they seem to severely
> > loose
> > > effectiveness too.
> > >
> > > You might have marginally better luck with larger (8 inch) rotors.
> > >

> > What?! Must be those 'Comp' level brakes. ;^) No problems with my 8in
> > Hayes Mags or 5 1/4" Hope Minis.
>

> Wow. Apparently I am the only one to have ever had this happen. But
> careening down a narrow mountain hillside with a rapidly approaching
> switchback and a fistfull of brake lever fading to virtual nothingness got
> my attention.
>
> BTW, it wasn't the comps either - it was the stock ones on the Giant.

Yeah, I don't know, my Hayes Mag on the front wheel has been perfect, and I
even use far less rear brake with it that I used to with my v-brake. So I
don't know what the deal is.

A.

Small Black Dog
July 8th 03, 04:16 PM
> I'm looking for a good hydraulic disc brake system. I do pretty aggresive
> cross country riding, meaning I look for very steep very technical trails
> ride both up and down and thow in the moderate connecting trails. I'm
> curently using the Shimano brakes that came with the 2002 Specialized
> Enduro, I believe they are the M525 hydraulic disk brakes. The problem is
> that as the pads wear, the 2 pistons don't move in the same amount so 1
pad
> will start rubbing and in turn sqeel. They also start to fade a bit after
> long steep decent. I'm sure I would like the Shimano XT, or some Hayes
> equivelent disk brakes but I was wondering if there were some different
> brands like Grimeca, Hope, or Magura that someone would have some input
on.
> Input on Shimano and Hayes would also be welcome.
>
> Thanks for any help on this topic.
>
> TJ

Simply put, avoid hope like the plague. They look nice but are absolutely
****e.

Small Black "i detest my Hope m4 setup" Dog

Shaun Rimmer
July 8th 03, 04:38 PM
Small Black Dog > wrote in message
> > I'm looking for a good hydraulic disc brake system. I do pretty
aggresive
> > cross country riding, meaning I look for very steep very technical
trails
> > ride both up and down and thow in the moderate connecting trails. I'm
> > curently using the Shimano brakes that came with the 2002 Specialized
> > Enduro, I believe they are the M525 hydraulic disk brakes. The problem
is
> > that as the pads wear, the 2 pistons don't move in the same amount so 1
> pad
> > will start rubbing and in turn sqeel. They also start to fade a bit
after
> > long steep decent. I'm sure I would like the Shimano XT, or some Hayes
> > equivelent disk brakes but I was wondering if there were some different
> > brands like Grimeca, Hope, or Magura that someone would have some input
> on.
> > Input on Shimano and Hayes would also be welcome.
> >
> > Thanks for any help on this topic.
> >
> > TJ
>
> Simply put, avoid hope like the plague. They look nice but are absolutely
> ****e.

> Small Black "i detest my Hope m4 setup" Dog

I have a Hope Mini, and it works excellently. The DH racer in our MTB club
uses Hope (4 pot ones, not sure which) and loves them - no probs. One of the
other 'extreem' (heh) guys in the club uses them (same as me, the Mini) for
DH and trials, and recommended them to me in the first place. In fact, half
of the disc brake users in the bloody club use them and _none_ have reported
anything but great, hassle free performance. WTF is wrong with _your_ Hopes
that's convinced you they are all '****e'?

Shaun aRe

spademan o---[\) *
July 8th 03, 04:49 PM
"Small Black Dog" > wrote in message
> > I'm looking for a good hydraulic disc brake system. I do pretty
aggresive
> > cross country riding, meaning I look for very steep very technical
trails
> > ride both up and down and thow in the moderate connecting trails. I'm
> > curently using the Shimano brakes that came with the 2002 Specialized
> > Enduro, I believe they are the M525 hydraulic disk brakes. The problem
is
> > that as the pads wear, the 2 pistons don't move in the same amount so 1
> pad
> > will start rubbing and in turn sqeel. They also start to fade a bit
after
> > long steep decent. I'm sure I would like the Shimano XT, or some Hayes
> > equivelent disk brakes but I was wondering if there were some different
> > brands like Grimeca, Hope, or Magura that someone would have some input
> on.
> > Input on Shimano and Hayes would also be welcome.
> >
> > Thanks for any help on this topic.
> >
> > TJ
>
> Simply put, avoid hope like the plague. They look nice but are absolutely
> ****e.
>
> Small Black "i detest my Hope m4 setup" Dog

http://www.twistedmonkey.org/images/funny_pictures/18359827e1d8f048aeff7c083
92b12c3.jpg

John Harlow
July 8th 03, 08:33 PM
Sounds like they might need a bleed. Do they "pump up" after repeatedly
> squeazing ?

They've never been soft and have never pumped up - they're tight on the
first squeeze. As all this was going on the lever pressure remained
consistent - only the friggin bike wasn't stopping! I have never seen a
leak and the system has not been opened or otherwise touched. The only think
I've ever done was replace the pads.

I attributed this to severe fade as they had gotten almost red hot.
Stopping and letting them cool helped greatly - but not completely.

I'm leaning more towards Chris' theory of contamination - but not sure of
the source (I checked the forks - no leaks). The strange thing was it
manifested itself at the most inopportune moment.

I have another bike which leaked fork oil on the brake pads - the effects of
that were quite obvious.

KSlater
July 9th 03, 02:00 AM
Get larger rotors (preferably the XT 8 Inch ones). The larger rotars have
more cooling area and the XT rotors have more cooling holes. Also try an
aftermarket disc. Hayes 8 inch DH Purple do a better job of keeping cool.
but any steel will heat up eventually and the DH Purple are rather heavy
compared to some other discs.

Frank

"TJ" > wrote in message
> I'm looking for a good hydraulic disc brake system. I do pretty aggresive
> cross country riding, meaning I look for very steep very technical trails
> ride both up and down and thow in the moderate connecting trails. I'm
> curently using the Shimano brakes that came with the 2002 Specialized
> Enduro, I believe they are the M525 hydraulic disk brakes. The problem is
> that as the pads wear, the 2 pistons don't move in the same amount so 1
pad
> will start rubbing and in turn sqeel. They also start to fade a bit after
> long steep decent. I'm sure I would like the Shimano XT, or some Hayes
> equivelent disk brakes but I was wondering if there were some different
> brands like Grimeca, Hope, or Magura that someone would have some input
on.
> Input on Shimano and Hayes would also be welcome.
>
> Thanks for any help on this topic.
>
> TJ

Westie
July 9th 03, 02:40 AM
"D H" > wrote in message
> > them
> > > loose

> > > What?! Must be those 'Comp' level brakes. ;^) No problems with my
8in
> > > Hayes Mags or 5 1/4" Hope Minis.
> >

> > Wow. Apparently I am the only one to have ever had this happen. But
> > careening down a narrow mountain hillside with a rapidly approaching
> > switchback and a fistfull of brake lever fading to virtual nothingness
got
> > my attention.
> >
> > BTW, it wasn't the comps either - it was the stock ones on the Giant.
>
> I suspect you have a problem with the setup, or else a defective set
of
> brakes. A friend of mine also wasn't all that happy with his Hayes discs
> when he got them, but after riding mine just a short way, he knew his
setup
> was not right. I can't remember exactly what was the problem, but bleed
> issues come to mind as a possibility. Now that he has his PROPERLY set up,
> he is very happy with them; major turnaround in performance, he said.
> In my experience, it takes a tremendously serious amount of speed and
> braking to have any fade problems with Hayes.
> --
> Off to ride the mountains, D H
> Reply to newsgroup. Spam is out of control.

The stock Shimano mechs on my Giant have done nothing but given me trouble.
When they work well, they work great. Honestly I think that I get maybe 10%
trouble-free use out of them. The other 90% is fading, various adjustment
hassles, wear & tear hassles, oil contamination, squealing and expensive pad
replacements. The next few hundred spare dollars I have (like that'll ever
happen! LOL!) are going towards either a new bike or Hope Mini's. I swear
that some days I just don't want to ride because of the sucky brakes.

BTW, the pads I've just put on are brand new, on the front and there hasn't
been a drop of oil near them - I've already learnt that one the hard way.
And if I have to worry THAT much about natural oils from my hands; then
discs suck big time.
--
Westie

Bill Wheeler
July 9th 03, 03:02 AM
On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 11:27:55 -0700, "TJ" >
wrote:

>I'm looking for a good hydraulic disc brake system. I do pretty aggresive
>cross country riding, meaning I look for very steep very technical trails to
>ride both up and down and thow in the moderate connecting trails. I'm
>curently using the Shimano brakes that came with the 2002 Specialized
>Enduro, I believe they are the M525 hydraulic disk brakes. The problem is
>that as the pads wear, the 2 pistons don't move in the same amount so 1 pad
>will start rubbing and in turn sqeel. They also start to fade a bit after a
>long steep decent. I'm sure I would like the Shimano XT, or some Hayes
>equivelent disk brakes but I was wondering if there were some different
>brands like Grimeca, Hope, or Magura that someone would have some input on.
>Input on Shimano and Hayes would also be welcome.
>
>Thanks for any help on this topic.
>
>TJ

Avid Mechs,
Bill

The mind serves properly as a window glass rather
than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give
:-]

Small Black Dog
July 9th 03, 03:50 PM
> Simply put, avoid hope like the plague. They look nice but are absolutely
> ****e.
>
> Small Black "i detest my Hope m4 setup" Dog

I've know many people with hope discs who wish they'd gone with hayes, even
shimano.

The brakes squeel, the pad-return spring is a piece of bent metal, after a
year of hardly heavy use, both brakes are leaking and the performance has
never been *Remarkable* I was better off with my Magura HS33s

Small Black Dog

Shaun Rimmer
July 9th 03, 04:01 PM
Small Black Dog > wrote in message

> > Simply put, avoid hope like the plague. They look nice but are
absolutely
> > ****e.
> >
> > Small Black "i detest my Hope m4 setup" Dog
>
> I've know many people with hope discs who wish they'd gone with hayes,
even
> shimano.
>
> The brakes squeel,

Mine? Occasionally, and not very loudly.

> the pad-return spring is a piece of bent metal,

It's a pressed and formed piece of spring steel, and it's only to hold the
pads against the pistons, which self retract - it doesn't need to have much
force.

> after a
> year of hardly heavy use, both brakes are leaking

None of the folks I know have had theirs leak. I've had mine for well over a
year, and used them quite heavily, in some nasty conditions and had no
probs.

> and the performance has
> never been *Remarkable* I was better off with my Magura HS33s

Mine stop me brilliantly and contollably, all the time, and with little
effort on my part.

Shaun aRe

P e t e F a g e r l i n
July 9th 03, 06:53 PM
On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 14:50:25 +0000 (UTC), "Small Black Dog"
> wrote:

>> Simply put, avoid hope like the plague. They look nice but are absolutely
>> ****e.
>>
>> Small Black "i detest my Hope m4 setup" Dog
>
>I've know many people with hope discs who wish they'd gone with hayes, even
>shimano.
>
>The brakes squeel, the pad-return spring is a piece of bent metal, after a
>year of hardly heavy use, both brakes are leaking and the performance has
>never been *Remarkable* I was better off with my Magura HS33s

It's pretty clear, at least to me, that the QC in bike component
manufacturing is inconsistent, to say the least.

No problems with my Hope Minis or M4s and there is no way in hell that
I would go back to HS33s.

John Spann
July 11th 03, 03:15 AM
TJ wrote:
> I'm looking for a good hydraulic disc brake system. I do pretty aggresive
> cross country riding, meaning I look for very steep very technical trails to
> ride both up and down and thow in the moderate connecting trails. I'm
> curently using the Shimano brakes that came with the 2002 Specialized
> Enduro, I believe they are the M525 hydraulic disk brakes. The problem is
> that as the pads wear, the 2 pistons don't move in the same amount so 1 pad
> will start rubbing and in turn sqeel. They also start to fade a bit after a
> long steep decent. I'm sure I would like the Shimano XT, or some Hayes
> equivelent disk brakes but I was wondering if there were some different
> brands like Grimeca, Hope, or Magura that someone would have some input on.
> Input on Shimano and Hayes would also be welcome.
>
> Thanks for any help on this topic.
>
> TJ

Hydraulic is nice. The only issue I have is the different lever travel
(front vs. back) on a set of '01 Hayes. They are way better than
standard "vee" brakes with the best pads you can put on 'em. That is of
course, in my oh-so-humble ohpeenyon.

John Spann

Phil, Squid-in-Training
July 11th 03, 08:59 AM
> I attributed this to severe fade as they had gotten almost red hot.

They were... glowing??? That entails that the rotor was well beyond 1000
degrees C, which would bubble the paint on your fork, boil the hydraulic
fluid in your lines and quite possibly in your fork, and cause the problems
that you're having.

Given that motorcycle brakes don't glow while being used, you must be going
at somewhere between 200 and 250MPH. You might want to pace yourself and
just take it slow.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Shaun Rimmer
July 11th 03, 11:13 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training > wrote in message
> > I attributed this to severe fade as they had gotten almost red hot.
>
> They were... glowing??? That entails that the rotor was well beyond 1000
> degrees C, which would bubble the paint on your fork, boil the hydraulic
> fluid in your lines and quite possibly in your fork, and cause the
problems
> that you're having.

I don't believe so - IIRC, John G (Clydesdale) had his rotors glowing at
least one time.

> Given that motorcycle brakes don't glow while being used, you must be
going
> at somewhere between 200 and 250MPH. You might want to pace yourself and
> just take it slow.

That logic doesn't follow.

Shaun aRe

Small Black Dog
July 11th 03, 11:30 AM
> I don't believe so - IIRC, John G (Clydesdale) had his rotors glowing at
> least one time.

Yeah, I too have been witness to glowing discs. It was the most amazing
thing to see my mate fly past me in near pitch darkness with glowing discs.

Small Black Dog

Westie
July 11th 03, 12:37 PM
"Small Black Dog" > wrote in message

> > I don't believe so - IIRC, John G (Clydesdale) had his rotors glowing at
> > least one time.
>
> Yeah, I too have been witness to glowing discs. It was the most amazing
> thing to see my mate fly past me in near pitch darkness with glowing
discs.

> Small Black Dog

Cool. I wouldn't have thought it possible.
--
Westie

Small Black Dog
July 11th 03, 12:57 PM
> Cool. I wouldn't have thought it possible.

It wasnt like some cartoon-style flaming disc but you could make then out
from the rest of the bike against the darkness

Small Black Dog

Shaun Rimmer
July 11th 03, 01:29 PM
Small Black Dog > wrote in message
> > Cool. I wouldn't have thought it possible.
>
> It wasnt like some cartoon-style flaming disc but you could make then out
> from the rest of the bike against the darkness

Shoulda thrown some paraffin on 'em then ',;~}~

Shaun aRe - Whoosh!

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home