PDA

View Full Version : Alternative chain lube

Phil, Squid-in-Training
July 8th 03, 03:28 PM
So what's the weirdest stuff you've ever used for chain lube? I was forced
to use vegetable oil once. It dried up and encrusted the chain in an almost
armor-like substance that didn't get my clothes dirty and kept the bike from
squeaking for months. This was on my daily commuting walgoose.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

spademan o---[\) *
July 8th 03, 03:32 PM
"Phil, Squid-in-Training" > wrote in message
om...
> So what's the weirdest stuff you've ever used for chain lube? I was
forced
> to use vegetable oil once. It dried up and encrusted the chain in an
almost
> armor-like substance that didn't get my clothes dirty and kept the bike
from
> squeaking for months. This was on my daily commuting walgoose.
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

If you rub the inside of a banana peal along a chain that will make an
excellent dry lube with good water resistant properties.

Steve E.

Slacker
July 8th 03, 07:33 PM
> > > So what's the weirdest stuff you've ever used for chain lube? I was
> > forced
> > > to use vegetable oil once. It dried up and encrusted the chain in an
> <snip>
> >
> > If you rub the inside of a banana peal along a chain that will make an
> > excellent dry lube with good water resistant properties.
> >
> > Steve E.
> >

> Can you still smoke them afterwards?
>
> Matt (just wondering)

Yes, but it will give you one hella headache, not that I know from experience or anything.
--
Slacker

Jason
July 8th 03, 08:15 PM
"Phil, Squid-in-Training" > wrote in message
om...
> So what's the weirdest stuff you've ever used for chain lube? I was
forced
> to use vegetable oil once. It dried up and encrusted the chain in an
almost
> armor-like substance that didn't get my clothes dirty and kept the bike
from
> squeaking for months. This was on my daily commuting walgoose.
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

Astro Glide works wonders :) KY ain't so bad either.

These also work on the rear... derailleur.

Nelson Binch
July 8th 03, 08:44 PM
"Phil, Squid-in-Training" > wrote in message
om...
| So what's the weirdest stuff you've ever used for chain lube? I was
forced
| to use vegetable oil once. It dried up and encrusted the chain in an
almost
| armor-like substance that didn't get my clothes dirty and kept the bike
from
| squeaking for months. This was on my daily commuting walgoose.

Not so much a chain lube, but when I install a new ceramic bushing pulley or
clean out an old one, I use a quality (drafting) pencil and blacken all the
acting surfaces (graphite lube!)

---
__o
_`\(,_ Cycling is life,
(_)/ (_) all the rest, just details.
Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
http://intergalax.com

J'm Sm'th
July 8th 03, 09:21 PM
Sorni wrote:

> "Phil, Squid-in-Training" > wrote in message
> om...
>
> > So what's the weirdest stuff you've ever used for chain lube?
>
> Ever see "Something About Mary"?
>
> Bill "Spike" S.

A silly movie. My favorite scene is at the end, where the guitar player gets
shot.

--
J'm

To Reply Direct, Remove Clothes.
....-.-

Westie
July 9th 03, 02:54 AM
"MattB" > wrote in message
> "spademan o---[) *" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Phil, Squid-in-Training" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > So what's the weirdest stuff you've ever used for chain lube? I was
> > forced
> > > to use vegetable oil once. It dried up and encrusted the chain in an
> <snip>
> >
> > If you rub the inside of a banana peal along a chain that will make an
> > excellent dry lube with good water resistant properties.
> >
> > Steve E.
> >

> Can you still smoke them afterwards?
>
> Matt (just wondering)

The banana skin or the chain?
--
Westie
(thinking banana because you wouldn't want to become a chain-smoker now,

Stephen Baker
July 9th 03, 03:11 AM
Westie says:

>(thinking banana because you wouldn't want to become a chain-smoker now,
>would you? )

Aaarrgghh!!! That was bad! Or good, depending on which end of the day you
wrote it. it's bed-time here, so I'm assuming you wrote that after your first
cuppa coffee. I which case it isn't bad at all.
Good Morning

Steve Good Night......

JD
July 9th 03, 03:17 AM
"Phil, Squid-in-Training" > wrote in message >...
> So what's the weirdest stuff you've ever used for chain lube?

My current top secret project formula. It doesn't do really well in
super dusty conditions, but works very well in all other conditions.

JD

Westie
July 9th 03, 09:33 AM
"JD" > wrote in message
om...
> "Phil, Squid-in-Training" > wrote in message
> > So what's the weirdest stuff you've ever used for chain lube?
>
> My current top secret project formula. It doesn't do really well in
> super dusty conditions, but works very well in all other conditions.
>
> JD

Is it top secret because you're protecting potential commercial value, or is
it top secret just because you're not sharing?
--
Westie

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home