PDA

View Full Version : Advice please: newbies and clipless pedals

Monique Y. Herman
July 10th 03, 05:45 AM
Hi all!

I would like to get your opinions on mountain-biking newbies starting
out on clipless pedals (or a pointer to the appropriate FAQ, as I
suspect that I am not the first to ask this question). As far as I
know, my options are: start with "normal" pedals, start with toe clips,
or start with clipless pedals.

I'd be most interested in hearing from anyone who *started* mountain
biking with clipless -- do you think it was the right way to go?

I apologize in advance for being a total novice at both mountain biking
and this group.

The specifics:

I'm a 25-year-old woman who would like to start mountain biking. I just
bought a Trek Fuel 90 over the 4th of July weekend; before that, I
hadn't owned or ridden a bike in several years. My fiance has set a
goal for me of riding what is apparently a fairly technical and steep
trail by this time next year ... I don't know if that's feasible, but
I'm at least going to shoot for it.

I bought the bike while visiting my aunt -- in fact, she's the one who
convinced me to splurge on full suspension, rather than buying a
hardtail. She also told me to go ahead and get clipless pedals right
away, so that's what I did.

So far, I've mostly been riding wide dirt roads, getting the feel of
clipping in and out. My pedals are set pretty loosely, apparently, so
clipping out isn't terribly hard -- when I remember to do so. I do have
to clip out before coming to a stop, as my balance isn't good enough yet
to keep the bike upright while stopped.

The first day on the bike, my aunt took me on a single track trail, and
I apparently did fairly well for the first bit, but after falling during
a tricky part, I lost my nerve and we headed back to the wide-open road.
That seems to be the main concern with clipless -- that I'll be too
scared to try stuff. On the other hand, if I swap in normal pedals,
aren't I just postponing the pain and further ingraining bad habits?

I bought the bike in Park City, Utah, but I live in Boulder, Colorado.
Both places have ample places to ride.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

-- monique

B. Sanders
July 10th 03, 06:53 AM
"Monique Y. Herman" > wrote in message
> Hi all!
>
> I would like to get your opinions on mountain-biking newbies starting
> out on clipless pedals (or a pointer to the appropriate FAQ, as I
> suspect that I am not the first to ask this question). As far as I
> know, my options are: start with "normal" pedals, start with toe clips,
> or start with clipless pedals.

The best pedals for you may be the type that have SPD clipless pedals on one
side, and regular platform pedals on the other side. When a section looks
too difficult for being clipped-in, you can ride on the platform (flat)
side. When you're climbing, or riding easier sections, or just want more
power, clip in. Many shops have these type of pedals: www.nashbar.com,
www.performancebike.com, etc. They go by many different names and
manufacturers. I have 3 pairs of these pedals, and I really like them.

> I'd be most interested in hearing from anyone who *started* mountain
> biking with clipless -- do you think it was the right way to go?

My wife loves clipless; but hates MTB'ing because she fell several times,
and hurt herself. Now I can't get her back on the trails. She's scared
stiff and panics even on easy trails.

> I apologize in advance for being a total novice at both mountain biking
> and this group.

We're a casual group here. No apologies needed.

> The specifics:
>
> I'm a 25-year-old woman who would like to start mountain biking. I just
> bought a Trek Fuel 90 over the 4th of July weekend; before that, I
> hadn't owned or ridden a bike in several years. My fiance has set a
> goal for me of riding what is apparently a fairly technical and steep
> trail by this time next year ... I don't know if that's feasible, but
> I'm at least going to shoot for it.

Why is your fiance setting your goals for you?

> I bought the bike while visiting my aunt -- in fact, she's the one who
> convinced me to splurge on full suspension, rather than buying a
> hardtail. She also told me to go ahead and get clipless pedals right
> away, so that's what I did.

Yeah, I can see the reasoning there. Why not? But it's one more thing to
learn, and some people get spooked by clipless. I was surprised how fast my
wife got used to 'em; but she's a graduate-level modern dancer with superb
balance, and also a great skiier. That helps a lot - being used to bindings.

> So far, I've mostly been riding wide dirt roads, getting the feel of
> clipping in and out. My pedals are set pretty loosely, apparently, so
> clipping out isn't terribly hard -- when I remember to do so. I do have
> to clip out before coming to a stop, as my balance isn't good enough yet
> to keep the bike upright while stopped.

"Track standing" takes a while to learn. It's easier just to clip out; but
it's always good to practice balancing at a stop. It comes in handy
sometimes.

> The first day on the bike, my aunt took me on a single track trail, and
> I apparently did fairly well for the first bit, but after falling during
> a tricky part, I lost my nerve and we headed back to the wide-open road.
> That seems to be the main concern with clipless -- that I'll be too
> scared to try stuff. On the other hand, if I swap in normal pedals,
> aren't I just postponing the pain and further ingraining bad habits?

Though I'm sure there is such a thing as "bad habits" in offroad biking, I
don't think your choice of pedals is one of them. Lots of people ride open
platform pedals with no clips, no clipless, wearing ordinary sneakers. It
sounds like your family and friends are putting you on a fast track to high
performance. That's great if that's what you want. It's not required for
enjoyment of cycling.

> I bought the bike in Park City, Utah, but I live in Boulder, Colorado.
> Both places have ample places to ride.

You are *so* lucky! What I would give to live in Colorado! My family has a
cabin in Gunnison Nat'l Forest near Crested Butte. It's perfect for
mtb'ing; but we never seem to make it out there.

Have fun and ride safely.

-Barry

Westie
July 10th 03, 09:08 AM
"Monique Y. Herman" > wrote in message
> Hi all!
>
> I would like to get your opinions on mountain-biking newbies starting
> out on clipless pedals (or a pointer to the appropriate FAQ, as I
> suspect that I am not the first to ask this question). As far as I
> know, my options are: start with "normal" pedals, start with toe clips,
> or start with clipless pedals.
>
> I'd be most interested in hearing from anyone who *started* mountain
> biking with clipless -- do you think it was the right way to go?
>
> I apologize in advance for being a total novice at both mountain biking
> and this group.
<snip specifics>

You sound very concerned about all this. I don't think that you should
worry about it too much and use whatever system that makes you feel the most
comfortable. I wouldn't imagine that there are many people that literally
started biking on clipless. Money and knowledge is usually the barrier to
people considering clipless, not appropriateness. I switched after maybe,
six months, of considering myself a 'dedicated' mtbr.
--
Westie
BTW, it doesn't hurt to have input from your husband, but it's YOU that

spademan o---[\) *
July 10th 03, 09:21 AM
"B. Sanders" > wrote in message
> [...]
> > aren't I just postponing the pain and further ingraining bad habits?
>
> Though I'm sure there is such a thing as "bad habits" in offroad biking, I
> don't think your choice of pedals is one of them. Lots of people ride open
> platform pedals with no clips, no clipless, wearing ordinary sneakers. It
> sounds like your family and friends are putting you on a fast track to
high
> performance. That's great if that's what you want. It's not required for
> enjoyment of cycling.
>
> > I bought the bike in Park City, Utah, but I live in Boulder, Colorado.
> > Both places have ample places to ride.
>
> You are *so* lucky! What I would give to live in Colorado! My family has
> cabin in Gunnison Nat'l Forest near Crested Butte. It's perfect for
> mtb'ing; but we never seem to make it out there.

What he said. Don't be fooled into thinking that going clipless is
inevitable though, myself and a few others on this forum (who will be along
shortly no doubt) have been mtb'ing for some time, yet still prefer to use
flat pedals with good grip (and I have tried all three).

Steve E.

Shaun Rimmer
July 10th 03, 01:00 PM
Stephen Baker > wrote in message
> spademan says:
>
> >Don't be fooled into thinking that going clipless is
> >inevitable though,
>
> True

Thirded ',;~}~

> >and a few others on this forum (who will be along
> >shortly no doubt)
>
> Hi! <blush...>

Hiya! <waves>

> > yet still prefer to use
> >flat pedals with good grip
>
> Yup! Uh-huh! although I have upgraded from rat-traps to platforms with
> spikes.
>
> Steve

Personally, I wouldn't have dreamed of suggesting you go out, onto the
trails, and use clipless pedals, all on your first ride. Sounds like a good
way to put someone off MTB'ing for life, before they even really got into
it.

It seems most people fall when they first even change over from flats to
clipless, and the general advice given, is to practice like mad on soft
grass or some such before hitting the trails, to lessen any personal damage.

Anyhow, welcome to MTB'ing - have fun and stay safe.

Shaun aRe

Gyp
July 10th 03, 02:13 PM
Monique Y. Herman wrote:

> So far, I've mostly been riding wide dirt roads, getting the feel of
> clipping in and out. My pedals are set pretty loosely, apparently, so
> clipping out isn't terribly hard -- when I remember to do so. I do have
> to clip out before coming to a stop, as my balance isn't good enough yet
> to keep the bike upright while stopped.
>
> The first day on the bike, my aunt took me on a single track trail, and
> I apparently did fairly well for the first bit, but after falling during
> a tricky part, I lost my nerve and we headed back to the wide-open road.
> That seems to be the main concern with clipless -- that I'll be too
> scared to try stuff. On the other hand, if I swap in normal pedals,
> aren't I just postponing the pain and further ingraining bad habits?

I use clipless myself and whilst I did fall over far too many times in
the first few weeks of using them I personaly love em.. Wouldn't think
of attacking a hill without them.

Cliping out when your nervous is a good idea no point panicing and
hurting yourself..

I don't think there is any right or wrong when it comes to platforms,
clips or clipless pedals. Go with what your happest with.. Don't let
anyone tell you that yoy "MUST" do something that you don't want to
do..If it feels more comfortable on platforms then put them back on..
You can always try the clipless again if you feel like it later...

<Wave>

Gyp

Super Slinky
July 10th 03, 02:28 PM
Monique Y. Herman said...

> Hi all!
>
> I would like to get your opinions on mountain-biking newbies starting
> out on clipless pedals (or a pointer to the appropriate FAQ, as I
> suspect that I am not the first to ask this question). As far as I
> know, my options are: start with "normal" pedals, start with toe clips,
> or start with clipless pedals.

Clipless pedals are for those who have to be the fastest, coolest bikers
around. They are a racing product that trickled down to the average
consumer because of the fashion factor, like so many others in the
cycling world. They will make you a little faster and climb a little
better, but at the price of a few extra falls and lots of extra expense
and annoyance. There are many situations where clipless pedals are a
nuisance if not a hazard, like city riding and slow sections of trails
where it would be nice to dab a little or where falls could cause
serious injury or worse. A good pair of platform pedals that have good
grip are much more versatile and less expensive to own. Special $hoe$
are not needed. No falling down bruising yourself and damaging your bike
because your feet are chained in when you need to dab a little.

Use clipless if you are a racer or if you are a fashion victim who must
give in to peer pressure all the time. For the everyday bicyclist,
platforms make so much more sense. Use platforms and be smug in the
knowledge that you made the rational choice instead of being told where
to go by the fashion police. As for combination clipless/platform
pedals, I personally hate them. Putting your foot down and finding the
pedal is on the wrong side gets exasperating in a hurry. Besides, most
of them have a wimpy platform side that doesn't have enough grip. Get
platforms that look like this:

http://www.cambriabike.com/pedals/ringle_zu_zu_dh_pedal.htm

Not ones that look like this:

http://www.cambriabike.com/pedals/wtb_grease_guard_momentum_pedal.htm

Most combo pedals have a clipless mechanism shoehorned into skinny caged
pedals like the latter example. These caged pedals are mostly a hold-
over from the days of toe clips. By the way, toe clips suck worse than
anything and you can hardly even get them anymore. Good riddance. By all
means use clipless instead of them.

spademan o---[\) *
July 10th 03, 02:44 PM
"Super Slinky" > wrote in message
t...
> Monique Y. Herman said...
>
> > Hi all!
> >
> > I would like to get your opinions on mountain-biking newbies starting
> > out on clipless pedals (or a pointer to the appropriate FAQ, as I
> > suspect that I am not the first to ask this question). As far as I
> > know, my options are: start with "normal" pedals, start with toe clips,
> > or start with clipless pedals.
>
> Clipless pedals are for those who have to be the fastest, coolest bikers
> around. They are a racing product that trickled down to the average
> consumer because of the fashion factor, like so many others in the
> cycling world. They will make you a little faster and climb a little
> better, but at the price of a few extra falls and lots of extra expense
> and annoyance. There are many situations where clipless pedals are a
> nuisance if not a hazard, like city riding and slow sections of trails
> where it would be nice to dab a little or where falls could cause
> serious injury or worse. A good pair of platform pedals that have good
> grip are much more versatile and less expensive to own. Special $hoe$
> are not needed. No falling down bruising yourself and damaging your bike
> because your feet are chained in when you need to dab a little.
>
> Use clipless if you are a racer or if you are a fashion victim who must
> give in to peer pressure all the time. For the everyday bicyclist,
> platforms make so much more sense. Use platforms and be smug in the
> knowledge that you made the rational choice instead of being told where
> to go by the fashion police. As for combination clipless/platform
> pedals, I personally hate them. Putting your foot down and finding the
> pedal is on the wrong side gets exasperating in a hurry. Besides, most
> of them have a wimpy platform side that doesn't have enough grip. Get
> platforms that look like this:
>
> http://www.cambriabike.com/pedals/ringle_zu_zu_dh_pedal.htm
>
> Not ones that look like this:
>
> http://www.cambriabike.com/pedals/wtb_grease_guard_momentum_pedal.htm
>
> Most combo pedals have a clipless mechanism shoehorned into skinny caged
> pedals like the latter example. These caged pedals are mostly a hold-
> over from the days of toe clips. By the way, toe clips suck worse than
> anything and you can hardly even get them anymore. Good riddance. By all
> means use clipless instead of them.

Yep, thats what I shoulda oughta said.

Steve E.

Bob M
July 10th 03, 03:19 PM
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:28:14 GMT, Super Slinky > wrote:

> Monique Y. Herman said...
>
>> Hi all!
>>
>> I would like to get your opinions on mountain-biking newbies starting
>> out on clipless pedals (or a pointer to the appropriate FAQ, as I
>> suspect that I am not the first to ask this question). As far as I
>> know, my options are: start with "normal" pedals, start with toe clips,
>> or start with clipless pedals.
>
> Clipless pedals are for those who have to be the fastest, coolest bikers
> around. They are a racing product that trickled down to the average
> consumer because of the fashion factor, like so many others in the
> cycling world. They will make you a little faster and climb a little
> better, but at the price of a few extra falls and lots of extra expense
> and annoyance. There are many situations where clipless pedals are a
> nuisance if not a hazard, like city riding and slow sections of trails
> where it would be nice to dab a little or where falls could cause serious
> injury or worse. A good pair of platform pedals that have good grip are
> much more versatile and less expensive to own. Special $hoe$ are not
> needed. No falling down bruising yourself and damaging your bike because
> your feet are chained in when you need to dab a little.

What do you mean by "city riding"? If you mean riding on the road, I think
that clipless are fine -- I've ridden hundreds of hours with clipless on
the road and never had a problem.

> Use clipless if you are a racer or if you are a fashion victim who must
> give in to peer pressure all the time. For the everyday bicyclist,
> platforms make so much more sense. Use platforms and be smug in the
> knowledge that you made the rational choice instead of being told where
> to go by the fashion police. As for combination clipless/platform pedals,
> I personally hate them. Putting your foot down and finding the pedal is
> on the wrong side gets exasperating in a hurry. Besides, most of them
> have a wimpy platform side that doesn't have enough grip. Get platforms
> that look like this:
>
> http://www.cambriabike.com/pedals/ringle_zu_zu_dh_pedal.htm
>
> Not ones that look like this:
>
> http://www.cambriabike.com/pedals/wtb_grease_guard_momentum_pedal.htm
>
> Most combo pedals have a clipless mechanism shoehorned into skinny caged
> pedals like the latter example. These caged pedals are mostly a hold-
> over from the days of toe clips. By the way, toe clips suck worse than
> anything and you can hardly even get them anymore. Good riddance. By all
> means use clipless instead of them.

Here's the pedals I have (I have the silver ones):

http://www.cambriabike.com/pedals/time_z_pedals.htm

These give you a good platform when you want to be clipped out, but you can
also clip in. The only detriment I've found is that booties will contact
the platform and prevent float. So, in the winter, I switch back to normal
clipless (I put studded tires on my mountain bike and ride it on the roads
in the winter).

--
Bob M in CT
Remove 'x.' to reply

James Messick
July 10th 03, 03:34 PM
About ten years after buying my first mountain bike I switched to clipless,
last year. They do take a little getting used to but are definitely worth
climbing the learning curve. It's probably best to get used to them
somewhere other than out on the trail. Ride around and practice starting and
stopping. When I went offroad I fell a few times because I didn't unclip in
time, but it does become second nature. The best thing about them is the
extra power and the smooth power you can get, which helps get up hills where
I might normally spin out or going through mud, when I have to.

James

Monique Y. Herman
July 10th 03, 04:07 PM
Thank you all for your input!

Sounds like there is no one One True Answer to the question of pedals ...

I'm going to try to respond to certain points of note, but believe me,
I've read all your responses and am thinking about them.

B. Sanders wrote:
<links to platform/clipless hybrids>

Thanks for the pointers! I've heard of these; people seem to have
varied opinions of them. One more option to consider =)

> My wife loves clipless; but hates MTB'ing because she fell several times,
> and hurt herself. Now I can't get her back on the trails. She's scared
> stiff and panics even on easy trails.

Oof, that's no fun.

Do you mean "hurt" as in "got some scabs and bruises," or "hurt" as in
"fractures, breaks, concussions"?

I have a history of varying amounts of martial arts, skiing, soccer,
paintball, and most recently ice hockey ... getting bruised and bloody
doesn't really freak me out, but I can imagine that a broken bone (which
I've never had) would.

I believe that any fear I have comes from my lack of fitness. I find
this with skiing: this past season, I skiied for the first time in
several years, and found myself falling on stuff that I never would have
before the sabbatical. My lack of raw athleticism (something I took
for granted back when I was practicing martial arts intensely) really
spooks me ... more about confidence than fear, maybe. I guess that's
one of the reasons I bought the bike in the first place. I'm hoping
that the I'll get into a reinforcing cycle (no pun intended): go biking,
get more athletic, gain confidence, do more biking, etc.

> Why is your fiance setting your goals for you?

I think I misrepresented the situation a bit. The full story is that
Eric (fiance) went on a fairly tough ride with my aunt. Apparently, my
aunt, who can be pretty persuasive, had gotten Eric to "commit" to
coming back and doing the same trail, with me, the following year.

Neither of us signed anything in blood; I think my aunt wanted to give
us a good goal so that we would work on getting in shape this year,
since I'd spent much of the trip lamenting my awful shape and marvelling
over her athleticism.

If I'm not ready, I won't do it, but I do like having goals that make me
stretch. This goal is tough enough that I'll have to work to reach it,
and I think that's a good thing.

> Yeah, I can see the reasoning there. Why not? But it's one more thing to
> learn, and some people get spooked by clipless. I was surprised how fast my
> wife got used to 'em; but she's a graduate-level modern dancer with superb
> balance, and also a great skiier. That helps a lot - being used to bindings.

Yeah, though, ski bindings handle releasing *for* you, and you don't tip
over if you stop without releasing. I'm pretty used to ski bindings,
but it seems like the similarities start and end with getting *into*
them (the easy part), not getting out of them.

> "Track standing" takes a while to learn. It's easier just to clip out; but
> it's always good to practice balancing at a stop. It comes in handy
> sometimes.

Yup, at Eric's suggestion, I've been working on trying to stop and stay
steady; at maintaining the slowest crawl I can without losing balance;
and at doing slow figure 8s in the smallest area I can. All of this on
nice soft dirt =)

> Though I'm sure there is such a thing as "bad habits" in offroad biking, I
> don't think your choice of pedals is one of them. Lots of people ride open
> platform pedals with no clips, no clipless, wearing ordinary sneakers. It
> sounds like your family and friends are putting you on a fast track to high
> performance. That's great if that's what you want. It's not required for
> enjoyment of cycling.

Well, I am most definitely a gadget geek, so I have to admit that the
clipless stuff is intrinsicly (sp) fascinating to me ... I have a
feeling that in the long run, it *is* what I want, if only because the
people I will most often ride with have them, so getting advice from
them will be easiest if I'm using the same gear. I'm just not sure yet
if clipless are the right thing for me in the short term.

> You are *so* lucky! What I would give to live in Colorado! My family has a
> cabin in Gunnison Nat'l Forest near Crested Butte. It's perfect for
> mtb'ing; but we never seem to make it out there.

Well, if you do, look me up -- maybe by that time, I'll be able to join
you on some trails without walking my bike through most of them =)

> Have fun and ride safely.

Thank you!

-- monique

Monique Y. Herman
July 10th 03, 04:15 PM
Good point. I'd pretty much assumed (based on the bikes at the shops
I've been to) that the natural progression leads to clipless. I should
probably try everything and see what I like.

-- monique

spademan o---[) * wrote:

> What he said. Don't be fooled into thinking that going clipless is
> inevitable though, myself and a few others on this forum (who will be along
> shortly no doubt) have been mtb'ing for some time, yet still prefer to use
> flat pedals with good grip (and I have tried all three).
>
> Steve E.

Monique Y. Herman
July 10th 03, 04:17 PM
Ooh, I've never even heard of such a thing. Could you show me a link?

Is there anything wrong with simply using clipless and clipping out
(using my arches to pedal) during stuff I'm antsy about?

(I think this is the problem: I keep thinking there is a "right" and
"wrong" way to approach this whole topic.)

Bob M wrote:
> I've been mountain biking since before clipless were popular, and I like
> clipless pedals. However, I fell three times this weekend due to not
> being able to get out of my pedals. I've switched back (as of today,
> actually) to a clipless pedal with a cage around it. I've always found
> that I'm clipped out a lot at portions of the trails that are
> technical. However, I do like to be clipped in on the relatively
> non-technical portions of my ride, but I also ride a racing bike and
> like to pedal "circles." So, I'd say if you don't like clipless, don't
> ride clipless. Once you build your confidence (and biking endurance),
> then try clipless, perhaps with the caged type of clipless first.

Monique Y. Herman
July 10th 03, 04:24 PM
Shaun Rimmer wrote:

> Personally, I wouldn't have dreamed of suggesting you go out, onto the
> trails, and use clipless pedals, all on your first ride. Sounds like a good
> way to put someone off MTB'ing for life, before they even really got into
> it.

Heh. My aunt is ... ambitious, and I did want to see what "real"
mountain biking (as opposed to flat dirt roads) was like.

I think I'm a lot like my aunt -- I wasn't put off; my fall simply
etched in my brain that I need to practice, practice, practice, so that
I can kick ass the next time I do that trail ... probably next year,
when I'm out there again.

> It seems most people fall when they first even change over from flats to
> clipless, and the general advice given, is to practice like mad on soft
> grass or some such before hitting the trails, to lessen any personal damage.

I've been practicing about every other day since then (stupid work,
getting in the way of my fun!) on loose gravel paths, dirt, and such.
There's a little dirt terrain park someone set up near the apartment, so
I've been there a bit, too, thinking about approaches.

There's apparently a wide dirt road that our friends often ride, and it
has a singletrack alongside it, so you can switch from one to the other
at will. I think that's my best bet for now -- slowly switching from
"mostly road" to "mostly singletrack."

> Anyhow, welcome to MTB'ing - have fun and stay safe.

Thank you!

Monique Y. Herman
July 10th 03, 04:30 PM
Super Slinky wrote:

> Clipless pedals are for those who have to be the fastest, coolest bikers
> around. They are a racing product that trickled down to the average
> consumer because of the fashion factor, like so many others in the
> cycling world. They will make you a little faster and climb a little
> better, but at the price of a few extra falls and lots of extra expense
> and annoyance. There are many situations where clipless pedals are a
> nuisance if not a hazard, like city riding and slow sections of trails
> where it would be nice to dab a little or where falls could cause
> serious injury or worse. A good pair of platform pedals that have good
> grip are much more versatile and less expensive to own. Special $hoe$
> are not needed. No falling down bruising yourself and damaging your bike
> because your feet are chained in when you need to dab a little.

I hear everything that you're saying ...

My fiance says that he finds clipless most useful on downhills, where he
says that you really don't want to lose your grip on the pedal. Rather
than getting knocked about and losing your footing while pedaling, he
says the clipless keep you where you want to be.

Any thoughts on that?

(As for the expense, I already have the clipless + shoes, so at this
point I won't be able to save money by not using them. Plus, the shoes
are adorable! (See your point about fashion victims below))

> to go by the fashion police. As for combination clipless/platform
> pedals, I personally hate them. Putting your foot down and finding the
> pedal is on the wrong side gets exasperating in a hurry. Besides, most
> of them have a wimpy platform side that doesn't have enough grip. Get
> platforms that look like this:
>
> http://www.cambriabike.com/pedals/ringle_zu_zu_dh_pedal.htm
>
> Not ones that look like this:
>
> http://www.cambriabike.com/pedals/wtb_grease_guard_momentum_pedal.htm

Thanks for the links!

> Most combo pedals have a clipless mechanism shoehorned into skinny caged
> pedals like the latter example. These caged pedals are mostly a hold-
> over from the days of toe clips. By the way, toe clips suck worse than
> anything and you can hardly even get them anymore. Good riddance. By all
> means use clipless instead of them.

That's my gut feeling on the toe clips, too, but I haven't ever used
them, so I guess I don't really know.

-- monique

Shaun Rimmer
July 10th 03, 04:33 PM
> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
> >
> > Personally, I wouldn't have dreamed of suggesting you go out, onto the
> > trails, and use clipless pedals, all on your first ride. Sounds like a
good
> > way to put someone off MTB'ing for life, before they even really got
into
> > it.
>
> Heh. My aunt is ... ambitious, and I did want to see what "real"
> mountain biking (as opposed to flat dirt roads) was like.

Aye - it was the _combination_ of 'new to' factors I was referring to. Did
you have flat pedals you could have used if you'd wanted? Just a
thought.........

> I think I'm a lot like my aunt -- I wasn't put off; my fall simply
> etched in my brain that I need to practice, practice, practice, so that
> I can kick ass the next time I do that trail ... probably next year,
> when I'm out there again.

Cool - doesn't work that way with many, though....

> > It seems most people fall when they first even change over from flats to
> > clipless, and the general advice given, is to practice like mad on soft
> > grass or some such before hitting the trails, to lessen any personal
damage.

> I've been practicing about every other day since then (stupid work,
> getting in the way of my fun!) on loose gravel paths, dirt, and such.
> There's a little dirt terrain park someone set up near the apartment, so
> I've been there a bit, too, thinking about approaches.
>
> There's apparently a wide dirt road that our friends often ride, and it
> has a singletrack alongside it, so you can switch from one to the other
> at will. I think that's my best bet for now -- slowly switching from
> "mostly road" to "mostly singletrack."

Good!

> > Anyhow, welcome to MTB'ing - have fun and stay safe.
>
> Thank you!

You're welcome ',;~}~

Shaun aRe -

Penny S.
July 10th 03, 05:03 PM
Monique Y. Herman thoughtfully penned:
> Ooh, I've never even heard of such a thing. Could you show me a link?
>
> Is there anything wrong with simply using clipless and clipping out
> (using my arches to pedal) during stuff I'm antsy about?

the problem with that it that is doesn't work very well

> (I think this is the problem: I keep thinking there is a "right" and
> "wrong" way to approach this whole topic.)

I tend toward over analysis... I congratulate you on the just do it attitude
of your first ride. IMO, the only real mistake you can make with all of this
is to ride clips that are set tight so that you have to work and think at
get outing of them, instead of just releasing.

They really do help with climbs.

Penny

Craig Brossman
July 10th 03, 05:41 PM
"Penny S." > wrote in message
> ... only real mistake you can make with all of this
> is to ride clips that are set tight so that you have to work and think at
> get outing of them, instead of just releasing.
>
> They really do help with climbs.
>
> Penny

It always supprises me that folks new to clipless who have ridden platforms
for years don't see the obvious and keep tension as light as possible with
their new clipless pedals. This is easier for some pedals than other, but
most SPD type pedals have a tension adjustment.

Keep them set very loose until your skill with clipping out passes your
frustration with accidental un-clips.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
(remove .nospam. if replying)

Marty
July 10th 03, 09:09 PM
"Monique Y. Herman" > wrote in message

Most experienced MTB'rs always carry a supply of FM in their camelbak for
those clipless pedal excursions. FM is the ticket for clipless pedals, track
stands, bunny hops, nose wheelies, two foot drops, etc.......

Marty

The Ogre
July 10th 03, 09:42 PM
Super Slinky > wrote in message >...
> Monique Y. Herman said...
>
> > Hi all!
> >
> > I would like to get your opinions on mountain-biking newbies starting
> > out on clipless pedals (or a pointer to the appropriate FAQ, as I
> > suspect that I am not the first to ask this question). As far as I
> > know, my options are: start with "normal" pedals, start with toe clips,
> > or start with clipless pedals.
>
> Clipless pedals are for those who have to be the fastest, coolest bikers
> around. They are a racing product that trickled down to the average
> consumer because of the fashion factor, like so many others in the
> cycling world. They will make you a little faster and climb a little
> better, but at the price of a few extra falls and lots of extra expense
> and annoyance.

About the only fact mixed in with this tripe is that they make you
faster and help you climb. I will even give you a few extra falls, I
had about 4 when I first got started and the worst of the bunch was a
couple of bruises and a scrape. I'm not certain where the "lots of
extra expense and anoyance" comes from.

> There are many situations where clipless pedals are a
> nuisance if not a hazard, like city riding and slow sections of trails
> where it would be nice to dab a little or where falls could cause
> serious injury or worse.

This is bull****, city riding in clipless is not any more hazardous
than city riding on platforms. As far as slow sections of trails
where I need to dab, it just isn't an issue for me or most people who
use clipless I clip out and dab, or just learn to balance. The only
ones I know of who complain about problems with this are the people
riding platforms, which apparently makes them experts on riding with
clipless.

> A good pair of platform pedals that have good
> grip are much more versatile and less expensive to own. Special $hoe$
> are not needed.

$40 for the shoes I wear, gotta buy shoes no matter what. You also
need to buy pedals no matter what so how is it more expensive?
Especially since she already has the shoes and the pedals.

> No falling down bruising yourself and damaging your bike
> because your feet are chained in when you need to dab a little.

This is very rare once you get used to them, if you feel your feet
are "chained to your pedals you either are trying to clip out wrong or
have your pedals adjusted wrong.

Don't listen to opinionated whiners, try the clipless pedals for a
while on flat rides and see how you like them. Most people stick with
them once they get used to them. For some reason the minority who who
don't stick with them like to pretend there are no advantages in
clipless so they can "Use platforms and be smug" in their own self
righteous superiority. Well some of them are smug anyhow.

-- The Ogre
http://ogrehut.NET

ctg
July 10th 03, 09:46 PM
"Super Slinky" > wrote in message
t...

> Clipless pedals are for those who have to be the fastest, coolest bikers
> around. They are a racing product that trickled down to the average
> consumer because of the fashion factor, like so many others in the
> cycling world. They will make you a little faster and climb a little
> better, but at the price of a few extra falls and lots of extra expense
> and annoyance. There are many situations where clipless pedals are a
> nuisance if not a hazard, like city riding and slow sections of trails
> where it would be nice to dab a little or where falls could cause
> serious injury or worse. A good pair of platform pedals that have good
> grip are much more versatile and less expensive to own. Special $hoe$
> are not needed. No falling down bruising yourself and damaging your bike
> because your feet are chained in when you need to dab a little.

I disagree about the alarming inury warnings, falling occurs when learning
to ride with them but unless you have very poor motor skills you will get it
fairly quickly. After the learning curve I can't imagine most people with a
modicum of skills will fall due to being clipped in. I've found clipless to
be safer now that my feet never slip off the pedal. Sure she should ride
what she likes but she's not necessarily going to injure herself and her
bike if she rides clipless. I tried a few different kinds of flats and
always had trouble with keeping my feet firmly planted in wet and/or
technical conditions. After banging my shins enough I switched to clipless
and love them. It has nothing to do with fashion. That's a silly argument.

Chris

Stephen Baker
July 10th 03, 09:47 PM
Spademan says:

>Okay now we've been easy on you, time to be honest - FLAT PEDALS!

Yup! Flats are the One Truth, unless you're a SS-er, in which case there are
two One Thruths. ;-)

Steve "no, the other one....."

Stephen Baker
July 10th 03, 09:54 PM
>Could you give me a link of "platforms with spikes"? What on earth does
>that mean?

http://www.specialized.com/SBCEqProduct.jsp?section=13175&browselevel=comp
onents&JServSessionIdroot=p28r9ewy74.j27001

If that doesn't work, google "Zuzu" or Easton FatBoy.

Rat traps are the good old-fashioned "jaggy-edged" flat pedals.

Steve

Monique Y. Herman
July 11th 03, 01:51 AM
I know I'm going to regret asking, but what do you mean by 'FM'?

I assume it relates to bandages, neosporin, and other such fun medical
aids ...

-- monique

Marty wrote:
> "Monique Y. Herman" > wrote in message
>

> Most experienced MTB'rs always carry a supply of FM in their camelbak for
> those clipless pedal excursions. FM is the ticket for clipless pedals, track
> stands, bunny hops, nose wheelies, two foot drops, etc.......
>
> Marty

Technician
July 11th 03, 02:56 AM
"Monique Y. Herman" wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I would like to get your opinions on mountain-biking newbies starting
> out on clipless pedals (or a pointer to the appropriate FAQ, as I
> suspect that I am not the first to ask this question). As far as I
> know, my options are: start with "normal" pedals, start with toe clips,
> or start with clipless pedals.
>
> I'd be most interested in hearing from anyone who *started* mountain
> biking with clipless -- do you think it was the right way to go?
>
> I apologize in advance for being a total novice at both mountain biking
> and this group.
>
> The specifics:
>
> I'm a 25-year-old woman who would like to start mountain biking. I just
> bought a Trek Fuel 90 over the 4th of July weekend; before that, I
> hadn't owned or ridden a bike in several years. My fiance has set a
> goal for me of riding what is apparently a fairly technical and steep
> trail by this time next year ... I don't know if that's feasible, but
> I'm at least going to shoot for it.
>
> I bought the bike while visiting my aunt -- in fact, she's the one who
> convinced me to splurge on full suspension, rather than buying a
> hardtail. She also told me to go ahead and get clipless pedals right
> away, so that's what I did.
>
> So far, I've mostly been riding wide dirt roads, getting the feel of
> clipping in and out. My pedals are set pretty loosely, apparently, so
> clipping out isn't terribly hard -- when I remember to do so. I do have
> to clip out before coming to a stop, as my balance isn't good enough yet
> to keep the bike upright while stopped.
>
> The first day on the bike, my aunt took me on a single track trail, and
> I apparently did fairly well for the first bit, but after falling during
> a tricky part, I lost my nerve and we headed back to the wide-open road.
> That seems to be the main concern with clipless -- that I'll be too
> scared to try stuff. On the other hand, if I swap in normal pedals,
> aren't I just postponing the pain and further ingraining bad habits?
>
> I bought the bike in Park City, Utah, but I live in Boulder, Colorado.
> Both places have ample places to ride.
>
> Thanks in advance for any insight!
>
> -- monique

Monique, if you live in So. Cal.,let me know.........I'll show you how to
ride.

~Travis
--
travis57 at megalink dot net

travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator
TF Custom Electronics, Owner/Founder/Developer

Mark Webb
July 11th 03, 06:38 AM
I'm not so sure I get why you wouldn't want to be attached to the pedals
unless you are stopping ot have become snarled or taken a bad line through
real technical terrain.

My motto is to stay attached to the bike, as that is the point of control.
Lose or switch that control always seems like trouble to me, proven by a
biking buddy that showed skull after unclipping for a big descent when the
bike left him but the big rock didn't

You are right though in that the biking style determines what to do. My
first year in clipless involved a lot of cuts, bruises and scars. The second
year only a couple. The third year none.

Bear the pain :-)

Mark

Westie
July 11th 03, 08:05 AM
"Mark Webb" > wrote in message
t...
> I'm not so sure I get why you wouldn't want to be attached to the pedals
> unless you are stopping ot have become snarled or taken a bad line through
> real technical terrain.
>
> My motto is to stay attached to the bike, as that is the point of control.
> Lose or switch that control always seems like trouble to me, proven by a
> biking buddy that showed skull after unclipping for a big descent when the
> bike left him but the big rock didn't
>
> You are right though in that the biking style determines what to do. My
> first year in clipless involved a lot of cuts, bruises and scars. The
second
> year only a couple. The third year none.
>
> Bear the pain :-)
>
> Mark

Hmm. Less than two hours ago I would have enjoyed not being attached to the
bike. Playing about near a river with small 18 inch high terraces, stuffed
up an easy wheelie drop and slow-mo endoed. Bike followed me over and
landed on head. Nothing hurt but my pride :-)
If you want to try both, I think that the LBS should have those dinky little
throw-away plastic platforms that clip into one side of your clipless
pedals. They come on some new bikes I believe. That'd do to try out before
you go buying proper platform/clipless pedals.
--
Westie

spademan o---[\) *
July 11th 03, 10:45 AM
"Stephen Baker" > wrote in message
> >Could you give me a link of "platforms with spikes"? What on earth does
> >that mean?
> >

> http://www.specialized.com/SBCEqProduct.jsp?section=13175&browselevel=comp
> onents&JServSessionIdroot=p28r9ewy74.j27001
>
> If that doesn't work, google "Zuzu" or Easton FatBoy.
>
> Rat traps are the good old-fashioned "jaggy-edged" flat pedals.
>
> Steve

hehehe that would be Easton "Flatboy", and yes they are the best flat pedal
in the world. I've got two pairs. They're great.

Steve E.

Shaun Rimmer
July 11th 03, 11:02 AM
Stephen Baker > wrote in message
> Shaun R says:
>
> >> Hi! <blush...>
> >
> >Hiya! <waves>
>
> Slut!

Slag!

Shaun aRe - Whyfor you calling me slut?!?!?!?

Monique Y. Herman
July 11th 03, 11:31 AM
I think I've made my decision, at least for now -- going to go ahead and
use the clipless. I already have the pedals and the shoes, and after
the first couple of days, I haven't found myself on the ground when
coming to a stop on flat, friendly terrain. I'm still skittish about
stopping/going slow, but considerably less so than when I started, and I
suspect a few weeks of practice will eliminate most of that.

If at that point I continuously find myself in a position where I want
to try something and the clipless are what stop me from trying it, I'll
consider getting good platform pedals ... after this thread, I have a
pretty good idea of what to look for when getting them!

I think I questioned the clipless decision for two reasons. One, the
clipless were still freaking me out a couple of days ago (which really
was only 3 or 4 hours of actual use). Two, there are a lot of mountain
bikers (geez, is there an abbreviation for mountain biking/bikers?) at
work, most of whom use clipless, and all of them were absolutely shocked
at the idea of starting out on clipless ... so I started second-guessing
myself.

I'm sure that there are plenty of examples of people hurting themselves
because they were clipped in, and plenty of examples of people hurting
themselves because they were on platforms -- it sounds to me like it's a
matter of choosing your pain.

If nothing else, I got a massive (one inch, can you believe it? =P)
bunny hop going on the nice, wide trail that I rode yesterday. First
time ever! I don't think I could do that without clipless ...

-- monique

Westie wrote:
> "Mark Webb" > wrote in message
> t...
>
>>I'm not so sure I get why you wouldn't want to be attached to the pedals
>>unless you are stopping ot have become snarled or taken a bad line through
>>real technical terrain.
>>
>>My motto is to stay attached to the bike, as that is the point of control.
>>Lose or switch that control always seems like trouble to me, proven by a
>>biking buddy that showed skull after unclipping for a big descent when the
>>bike left him but the big rock didn't
>>
>>You are right though in that the biking style determines what to do. My
>>first year in clipless involved a lot of cuts, bruises and scars. The
>
> second
>
>>year only a couple. The third year none.
>>
>>Bear the pain :-)
>>
>>Mark
>>

> Hmm. Less than two hours ago I would have enjoyed not being attached to the
> bike. Playing about near a river with small 18 inch high terraces, stuffed
> up an easy wheelie drop and slow-mo endoed. Bike followed me over and
> landed on head. Nothing hurt but my pride :-)
> If you want to try both, I think that the LBS should have those dinky little
> throw-away plastic platforms that clip into one side of your clipless
> pedals. They come on some new bikes I believe. That'd do to try out before
> you go buying proper platform/clipless pedals.
> --
> Westie

Shaun Rimmer
July 11th 03, 12:03 PM

> Two, there are a lot of mountain
> bikers (geez, is there an abbreviation for mountain biking/bikers?)

You could try 'MTB'rs' ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Stephen Baker
July 11th 03, 12:34 PM
Spademan says:

>hehehe that would be Easton "Flatboy",

Oops..... you would still be amazed at how many hits you get with "Fat"Boy,
though ;-))

Steve

Stephen Baker
July 11th 03, 12:36 PM
Shaun R says (as though he didn't know the answer....):

>> >Hiya! <waves>
>>
>> Slut!
>
>Slag!
>
>Shaun aRe - Whyfor you calling me slut?!?!?!?

Coz you just _have_ to stand up and wave at every passing piece of talent. Not
like yours truly, shrinking violet that I am.......... ;-P

Steve "

Stephen Baker
July 11th 03, 12:37 PM
Westie says:

>I think that he chose his words poorly. I think what he actually meant to
>say was 'hussy'. ;-)

That, too! ;-)

Steve

Shaun Rimmer
July 11th 03, 01:15 PM
Stephen Baker > wrote in message
> Shaun R says (as though he didn't know the answer....):

> >> Slut!
> >
> >Slag!
> >
> >Shaun aRe - Whyfor you calling me slut?!?!?!?
>
> Coz you just _have_ to stand up and wave at every passing piece of talent.

Hey, I was sat down at the time........with my arms folded........not that
I'm boasting or anything you know...........

> Not
> like yours truly, shrinking violet that I am.......... ;-P

You misspelled 'shrivelling' - HTH!

Shaun aRe

Marty
July 11th 03, 01:56 PM
> I know I'm going to regret asking, but what do you mean by 'FM'?
>
> I assume it relates to bandages, neosporin, and other such fun medical
> aids ...
>
> -- monique
>
> Marty wrote:
> > "Monique Y. Herman" > wrote in message
> >

> > Most experienced MTB'rs always carry a supply of FM in their camelbak
for
> > those clipless pedal excursions. FM is the ticket for clipless pedals,
track
> > stands, bunny hops, nose wheelies, two foot drops, etc.......
> >
> > Marty

Monique,

FM is simply Freakin' Magic!

I'm sorry but it had to be done................

It seems you've some good advice (somewhere in all those e-mails). Welcome
to the AM-B.

Marty

Penny S.
July 11th 03, 03:35 PM
Mark Webb scribbled :
> I'm not so sure I get why you wouldn't want to be attached to the
> pedals unless you are stopping ot have become snarled or taken a bad
> line through real technical terrain.
>
> My motto is to stay attached to the bike, as that is the point of
> control. Lose or switch that control always seems like trouble to me,
> proven by a biking buddy that showed skull after unclipping for a big
> descent when the bike left him but the big rock didn't
>
> You are right though in that the biking style determines what to do.
> My first year in clipless involved a lot of cuts, bruises and scars.
> The second year only a couple. The third year none.
>
> Bear the pain :-)
>
> Mark

how male of you.

Penny

Mark Webb
July 11th 03, 04:02 PM
Thank you (I think)

Now how do I get home without asking for directions? ;-)

Mark

Penny S.
July 11th 03, 04:31 PM
( I reararnged Monique's top posting so as to keep the flow)

>> Mark Webb scribbled :
>>
>>> I'm not so sure I get why you wouldn't want to be attached to the
>>> pedals unless you are stopping ot have become snarled or taken a bad
>>> line through real technical terrain.
>>>
>>> My motto is to stay attached to the bike, as that is the point of
>>> control. Lose or switch that control always seems like trouble to
>>> me, proven by a biking buddy that showed skull after unclipping for
>>> a big descent when the bike left him but the big rock didn't
>>>
>>> You are right though in that the biking style determines what to do.
>>> My first year in clipless involved a lot of cuts, bruises and scars.
>>> The second year only a couple. The third year none.
>>>
>>> Bear the pain :-)
>>>
>>> Mark
>>
> Penny S. wrote:

>> how male of you.
>>
>> Penny

Monique Y. Herman scribbled :
> What do you mean by that, Penny? I'm honestly confused ...
>
> -- monique

well I would have mailed this but you have a pretty confused munged addy.

Anyway, it's an attempt at humor based on "typical" differences between the
sexes. A comment on "bear the pain" Now, keep in mind the following
comments do not apply to all men or all women, they are based to a certain
degree on reality and observation, and to a certain degree on stereotype and
assumption.

I.E: males typically force things, rely on brute strength, learning by
hurting oneself until they figure out how not to get hurt, etc. The "hey
just go for it" approach. Females typically rely more on finesse, learning
a bit of technique, analyzing what they are doing and working their way up
the skills ladder. Obviously these are generalizations.

Penny S

Monique Y. Herman
July 11th 03, 04:46 PM
Penny S. wrote:

> Monique Y. Herman scribbled :
>
>>What do you mean by that, Penny? I'm honestly confused ...
>>
>>-- monique
>

> well I would have mailed this but you have a pretty confused munged addy.

Oop ... I should just create a standard sig about this:
remove the S.P.A.M. to mail me ... in fact, any address at bounce swoosh
org should route to me.

> I.E: males typically force things, rely on brute strength, learning by
> hurting oneself until they figure out how not to get hurt, etc. The "hey
> just go for it" approach. Females typically rely more on finesse, learning
> a bit of technique, analyzing what they are doing and working their way up
> the skills ladder. Obviously these are generalizations.

Ah! Gotcha!

Although I would pretty much assume that anyone learning to mountain
bike should expect to get some nicks and dings along the way, no?

-- monique

Penny S.
July 11th 03, 04:54 PM
Monique Y. Herman scribbled :
> Penny S. wrote:
>>
>> Monique Y. Herman scribbled :
>>
>>> What do you mean by that, Penny? I'm honestly confused ...
>>>
>>> -- monique
>>

>> well I would have mailed this but you have a pretty confused munged
>> addy.
>
> Oop ... I should just create a standard sig about this:
> remove the S.P.A.M. to mail me ... in fact, any address at bounce
> swoosh org should route to me.
>
>> I.E: males typically force things, rely on brute strength,
>> learning by hurting oneself until they figure out how not to get
>> hurt, etc. The "hey just go for it" approach. Females typically
>> rely more on finesse, learning a bit of technique, analyzing what
>> they are doing and working their way up the skills ladder.
>> Obviously these are generalizations.
>
> Ah! Gotcha!
>
> Although I would pretty much assume that anyone learning to mountain
> bike should expect to get some nicks and dings along the way, no?
>
> -- monique

Uh, yeah.

btw... humor is allowed here. ;-) We thrive on it.

Penny

Sorni
July 11th 03, 05:19 PM
"Penny S." > wrote in message

> btw... humor is allowed here. ;-) We thrive on it.

ANOTHER MOUNTAIN-BIKER LIE!!!

Bill "have fun in Idaho; wish I were there" S.

Mark Webb
July 12th 03, 03:18 AM
Penny, just for reference I am 5'7" and 125lbs. Brute strength ain't the
word, but testosterone may be ;-)

Mark

peterjd66
November 19th 03, 10:42 PM
Monique Y. Herm wrote:
> Hi all!
> I would like to get your opinions on mountain-biking newbies starting
> out on clipless pedals (or a pointer to the appropriate FAQ, as I
> suspect that I am not the first to ask this question). As far as I know,
> my options are: start with "normal" pedals, start with toe clips, or
> start with clipless pedals.
> I'd be most interested in hearing from anyone who *started* mountain
> biking with clipless -- do you think it was the right way to go?
> I apologize in advance for being a total novice at both mountain biking
> and this group.
> The specifics:
> I'm a 25-year-old woman who would like to start mountain biking. I just
> bought a Trek Fuel 90 over the 4th of July weekend; before that, I
> hadn't owned or ridden a bike in several years. My fiance has set a goal
> for me of riding what is apparently a fairly technical and steep trail
> by this time next year ... I don't know if that's feasible, but I'm at
> least going to shoot for it.
> I bought the bike while visiting my aunt -- in fact, she's the one who
> convinced me to splurge on full suspension, rather than buying a
> hardtail. She also told me to go ahead and get clipless pedals right
> away, so that's what I did.
> So far, I've mostly been riding wide dirt roads, getting the feel of
> clipping in and out. My pedals are set pretty loosely, apparently, so
> clipping out isn't terribly hard -- when I remember to do so. I do have
> to clip out before coming to a stop, as my balance isn't good enough yet
> to keep the bike upright while stopped.
> The first day on the bike, my aunt took me on a single track trail, and
> I apparently did fairly well for the first bit, but after falling during
> a tricky part, I lost my nerve and we headed back to the wide-open road.
> That seems to be the main concern with clipless -- that I'll be too
> scared to try stuff. On the other hand, if I swap in normal pedals,
> aren't I just postponing the pain and further ingraining bad habits?
> I bought the bike in Park City, Utah, but I live in Boulder, Colorado.
> Both places have ample places to ride.
> Thanks in advance for any insight!
> -- monique

I had the same problem. I just started MTB this year and got into clip
pedals right from the get go. After falling numerous times trying to
climb steep hills I decided to do some pedal research and ended up
buying Shimano SPD M545 which have been a godsend! They are platform
pedals with SPD cleats on both sides. I adjusted to these instantly and
now if I am about to climb anything scary i unclip the left side and
ride the platforms. Only problem I encountered is mud and trying to clip
in but a few pokes with your finger works.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home