PDA

View Full Version : How to replace the cable on this shifter?

Christopher Pollard
July 11th 03, 05:37 AM
Subject says it really.

I want to replace the (inner) gear cable on my wife's bike.
It looks like this:
http://www.cginternet.net/twistgrip.html

Any ideas? I'm afraid to tackle the two tiny screws as they're a bit rusty, and
if that's not the correct approach, they're best left alone.

TIA

chris

Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

Colin Anderson
July 11th 03, 12:34 PM
Shimano have service manuals on their website as well as exploded views
Cheers
Colin

"Christopher Pollard" > wrote in message
> Subject says it really.
>
> I want to replace the (inner) gear cable on my wife's bike.
> It looks like this:
> http://www.cginternet.net/twistgrip.html
>
> Any ideas? I'm afraid to tackle the two tiny screws as they're a bit
rusty, and
> if that's not the correct approach, they're best left alone.
>
> TIA
>
> chris
>

> Chris Pollard
>
> --
> CG Internet café, Tagum City, Philippines
> http://www.cginternet.net

Shaun Rimmer
July 11th 03, 12:34 PM
Christopher Pollard > wrote in message
> Subject says it really.
>
> I want to replace the (inner) gear cable on my wife's bike.
> It looks like this:
> http://www.cginternet.net/twistgrip.html
>
> Any ideas? I'm afraid to tackle the two tiny screws as they're a bit
rusty, and
> if that's not the correct approach, they're best left alone.
>
> TIA
>
> chris
>

> Chris Pollard

Chris - pretty sure it's those screws. Squirt 'em with WD40 and leave
overnight. Pick the _correct_ size and type (Posi-drive and Philips are
_not_ the same type cross head) driver first time, and have at it - should
be fine.

Shaun aRe

Reco Diver
July 11th 03, 04:12 PM
Christopher Pollard > wrote in message >...
> Subject says it really.
>
> I want to replace the (inner) gear cable on my wife's bike.
> It looks like this:
> http://www.cginternet.net/twistgrip.html
>
> Any ideas? I'm afraid to tackle the two tiny screws as they're a bit rusty, and
> if that's not the correct approach, they're best left alone.

The two cover bolts are the right way in. Make sure that the shifter
is in its "initial" possition (twist it all the way forward). Remove
the two screws, replace the cable ... replace the two screws. That
Tourney stuff was really simple to replace cables on. Especially when
compared to older gripshift.

Christopher Pollard
July 13th 03, 02:44 AM
Done it.
It was the two screws. Once I plucked up the courage to give them a good push
with a #1 Philips all went well.

Thanks everybody.

Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net